2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

USGA squashes Barstool Sports Riggs v. Whitney match

King_Slender

Whatever your opinion of Barstool Sports and their Foreplay podcast, there are a lot of guys on Tour who are fans and it brings a lot of new people into the sports who are your more "common man" types. Over the past year there has been a match brewing between Riggs (host of the podcast) and Ryan Whitney - former NHL player who has a podcast in the Barstool universe.

Ultimately it was decided that they would play their match and put up $10,000 each, with their caddies getting a slice of the action.

Well, the USGA stepped in and said that if the match happened, Whitney would lose his amateur status (Riggs was not concerned about losing his), so he decided to call off the match. However, if you read the USGA's stance on gambling, I fail to see where this would be a violation, if it is simply a wager between two individuals, regardless of if it is extensively covered in the media of their universe.

**USGA Policy:**

**The distinction between playing for prize money, which violates the Rules of Amateur Status, and gambling, which does not, is essential to the Rules of Amateur Status. **The USGA urges amateur golfers to seek USGA guidance whenever it is unclear whether the prize format constitutes playing for prize money or gambling and, in the absence of such guidance, not to play for cash prizes. Such a course of action would ensure that no one jeopardizes his amateur status.

**The USGA does not object to informal gambling or wagering among individual golfers or teams of golfers when the players in general know each other, participation in the wagering is optional and is limited to the players, the sole source of all money won by the players is advanced by the players on themselves or their own teams** and the amount of money involved is not generally considered excessive such that the primary purpose is the playing of the game for enjoyment.

Is their contention that $10,000 between a guy who retired from the NHL after making $22M and a guy who is clearly making a lot of money on his podcast, is "excessive."

My guess is that because the $$$ are being used to promote the event that it does not constitute a normal wager.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

The USGA didn't "step in". Ryan Whitney contacted the USGA through his swing coach to see if it was okay to play this match and still retain his amateur status, as he has recently qualified for the 2020 US Amateur 4-ball championship. The USGA told him this match wasn't on their radar but after looking into it, it would be an issue if he played under the terms he and Barstool set, so he called it off

“This would’ve been the most watched amateur golf match ever. ”

How? Maybe a few dozen people would watch, but I doubt most of us have ever heard of either of these guys. And let’s be clear here since the title of the thread is misleading- the USGA absolutely did not squash the match, they would not/could not keep it from being played.

• Like 2

> @golfandfishing said:

> “This would’ve been the most watched amateur golf match ever. ”

>

> How? Maybe a few dozen people would watch, but I doubt most of us have ever heard of either of these guys. And let’s be clear here since the title of the thread is misleading- the USGA absolutely did not squash the match, they would not/could not keep it from being played.

More people watch the

Vindog vs tbowles match ; )

> @fsusmith said:

> **This would’ve been the most watched amateur golf match ever.** >

LOL! Your post is so awfully bad and incorrect you deserve all of this.

![](http://replygif.net/i/871.gif "")

![](https://68.media.tumblr.com/798558ef6007ae3edc5fee209b25f8d9/tumblr_o7f5btSlh51rtynt1o1_500.gif "")

![](https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjHAUOqG3lSS0f1C/giphy.gif "")

• Like 1

> @golfandfishing said:

> “This would’ve been the most watched amateur golf match ever. ”

>

> How? Maybe a few dozen people would watch, but I doubt most of us have ever heard of either of these guys. And let’s be clear here since the title of the thread is misleading- the USGA absolutely did not squash the match, they would not/could not keep it from being played.

Careful now with facts around here. WRX hot take artists don't appreciate them.

But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

>

> If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

“While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

• Like 1

> @grm24 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> >

> > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

>

> https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

>

> Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

>

> “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

Thanks for the info

But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> > >

> > > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

> >

> > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

> >

> > Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

> >

> > “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

>

> Thanks for the info

>

> But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

Yes there’s definitely a double standard. Li is only known as a golfer as still retained her status after being in an Apple ad - AS A GOLFER. USGA is a joke

> @bladehunter said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> > >

> > > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

> >

> > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

> >

> > Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

> >

> > “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

>

> Thanks for the info

>

> But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Thanks for the info

>

I alway had this same line of thought. Only because he happened to gain celebrity prior to the Sketchers stuff in something else, he can promote and get paid a wage for anything he wants in golf under the guise of "I'm trying to bring in the football fans". That rubs me the wrong way, but the USGA has made their decision and that's just what it's going to be.

Never heard of either of the guys who wanted to play each other - looking at it a bit, seriously doubt this was something too many people would watch or care about unless you have some rooting interest in one of the players. Don't think it does anything for "golf" as such. Just a gambling event - more people would probably watch Nicklaus and Watson play croquet and not many at that.

The old H-O-R-S-E competitions from NBA days, especially if Maravich was playing, was a heck of a lot more interesting (and nobody really watched) than a couple of guys with not much connection to virtually all golf fans who want to throw away some money.

True, USGA didn't "squash" this in the sense of the thread title, but to me, I just don't get too excited about who the USGA wants to allow to be an am or a pro although the USGA doesn't seem to do a good job of distinguishing these situations, at least in terms of its own rhetoric or analysis.

> @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> > > >

> > > > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

> > >

> > > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

> > >

> > > Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

> > >

> > > “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

> >

> > Thanks for the info

> >

> > But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

>

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> > > >

> > > > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

> > >

> > > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

> > >

> > > Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

> > >

> > > “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

> >

> > Thanks for the info

> >

> > But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

>

> I alway had this same line of thought. Only because he happened to gain celebrity prior to the Sketchers stuff in something else, he can promote and get paid a wage for anything he wants in golf under the guise of "I'm trying to bring in the football fans". That rubs me the wrong way, but the USGA has made their decision and that's just what it's going to be.

See, I disagree. Romo is a pretty good golfer, but he's no better a player than a 1,000 other guys out there. Has he actually qualified for a PGA Tour event, or has he just gotten in on sponsor's exemptions? Dude would be a nobody in the golf world if he wasn't a Cowboys QB.

The ire towards the USGA is valid, but misdirected. Guys like Scott Fawcett are much more WTF cases.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Never heard of either of the guys who wanted to play each other - looking at it a bit, seriously doubt this was something too many people would watch or care about unless you have some rooting interest in one of the players. Don't think it does anything for "golf" as such. Just a gambling event - more people would probably watch Nicklaus and Watson play croquet and not many at that.

>

> The old H-O-R-S-E competitions from NBA days, especially if Maravich was playing, was a heck of a lot more interesting (and nobody really watched) than a couple of guys with not much connection to virtually all golf fans who want to throw away some money.

>

> True, USGA didn't "squash" this in the sense of the thread title, but to me, I just don't get too excited about who the USGA wants to allow to be an am or a pro although the USGA doesn't seem to do a good job of distinguishing these situations, at least in terms of its own rhetoric or analysis.

They have a pretty sizable following, and a lot of them being the younger demographic that everyone seems to want to get more involved with the game. My personal issues with Riggs' schtick aside, there's no denying that they are a big part of the developing young adult golf culture.

USGA has historically been a big enabler of theirs - allowing Dave Portnoy to defile Shinnecock and Pebble in pursuit of his best "unlimited mulligans" score, etc...so kind of surprised they wouldn't have laid out a very specific plan for how they could bend the rules to allow this match. Maybe it doesn't directly enough benefit their bottom line the way a US Open spotlight can.

> @umassgolfer said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Never heard of either of the guys who wanted to play each other - looking at it a bit, seriously doubt this was something too many people would watch or care about unless you have some rooting interest in one of the players. Don't think it does anything for "golf" as such. Just a gambling event - more people would probably watch Nicklaus and Watson play croquet and not many at that.

> >

> > The old H-O-R-S-E competitions from NBA days, especially if Maravich was playing, was a heck of a lot more interesting (and nobody really watched) than a couple of guys with not much connection to virtually all golf fans who want to throw away some money.

> >

> > True, USGA didn't "squash" this in the sense of the thread title, but to me, I just don't get too excited about who the USGA wants to allow to be an am or a pro although the USGA doesn't seem to do a good job of distinguishing these situations, at least in terms of its own rhetoric or analysis.

>

> They have a pretty sizable following, and a lot of them being the younger demographic that everyone seems to want to get more involved with the game. My personal issues with Riggs' schtick aside, there's no denying that they are a big part of the developing young adult golf culture.

>

> USGA has historically been a big enabler of theirs - allowing Dave Portnoy to defile Shinnecock and Pebble in pursuit of his best "unlimited mulligans" score, etc...so kind of surprised they wouldn't have laid out a very specific plan for how they could bend the rules to allow this match. Maybe it doesn't directly enough benefit their bottom line the way a US Open spotlight can.

Their following has little to do with golf and their site and focus has little to do with golf, more general sports stuff/hype/gambling is the focus. The occasional golf vlog and those generate few comments whatsoever.

They are having no "big part" in developing young adult golf culture. And if a $10,000 "just showing off" money match is anyone's idea of encouraging young adults in golf, good thing it isn't happening.

There's been more money wagered at high end private clubs in matches. I think the problem has to do with Barstool making money off people watching the video of this match.

And as a side note to people hating on them, I think they are an awesome addition to the golf world and they are certainly growing the game. If you think this was a nothing match that nobody was even paying attention to then you have no idea what you're talking about and are, for lack of another term, "out of the loop".

> @dmecca2 said:

> There's been more money wagered at high end private clubs in matches. I think the problem has to do with Barstool making money off people watching the video of this match.

>

> And as a side note to people hating on them, I think they are an awesome addition to the golf world and they are certainly growing the game. If you think this was a nothing match that nobody was even paying attention to then you have no idea what you're talking about and are, for lack of another term, "out of the loop".

I don't get the Barstool golf schtick, although I fully admit they're a powerhouse in sports media and it's a block on my part. I do know for sure when I get put behind a group with a Stoolie flag draped across their cart I'm in for a lonnnnnnnnnnnng day.

> @fsusmith said:

> ...This would’ve been the most watched amateur golf match ever. USGA should’ve let it happen regardless, or least turn a blind eye knowing it’s for the better of golf

I completely agree. People who disagree are ignorant to the powerhouse that is Barstool. I can’t think of one other amateur golf event I’ve watched online...

> @dmecca2 said:

> There's been more money wagered at high end private clubs in matches. I think the problem has to do with Barstool making money off people watching the video of this match.

>

> And as a side note to people hating on them, I think they are an awesome addition to the golf world and they are certainly growing the game. If you think this was a nothing match that nobody was even paying attention to then you have no idea what you're talking about and are, for lack of another term, "out of the loop".

Don’t know enough to “hate” “them”. But, pretty much a complete DB at the center of appropriately initialed BS and no, “they” aren’t growing the game of golf. Social media noise and whatever entertainment value one might get out of it, but nothing of real substance.

> @Bluefan75 said:

> > @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> > > > >

> > > > > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

> > > >

> > > > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

> > > >

> > > > Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

> > > >

> > > > “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

> > >

> > > Thanks for the info

> > >

> > > But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

> >

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> > > > >

> > > > > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

> > > >

> > > > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

> > > >

> > > > Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

> > > >

> > > > “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

> > >

> > > Thanks for the info

> > >

> > > But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

> >

> > I alway had this same line of thought. Only because he happened to gain celebrity prior to the Sketchers stuff in something else, he can promote and get paid a wage for anything he wants in golf under the guise of "I'm trying to bring in the football fans". That rubs me the wrong way, but the USGA has made their decision and that's just what it's going to be.

>

> See, I disagree. Romo is a pretty good golfer, but he's no better a player than a 1,000 other guys out there. Has he actually qualified for a PGA Tour event, or has he just gotten in on sponsor's exemptions? Dude would be a nobody in the golf world if he wasn't a Cowboys QB.

>

> The ire towards the USGA is valid, but misdirected. Guys like Scott Fawcett are much more WTF cases.

I'll agree with you on Scott Fawcett, completely. Also, no, he's never qualified just gotten the sponsors exemptions, but you already knew that. There are certainly more cases out there that can be named, but because this was the one brought up directly in this thread, I gave my views.

> @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

> > > > >

> > > > > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

> > > > >

> > > > > Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

> > > > >

> > > > > “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for the info

> > > >

> > > > But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

> > >

> > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > But Romo is paid to sell golf shoes on commercials while playing pro events ? And he isn’t earning a living of t he game ? I know he doesn’t need the pocket change. But that’s beside the point. You shouldn’t get extra leeway based on celebrity .

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If I decide to fold sweaters in Utah at a club , the USga will and should take my AM status as soon as i declare or cashes That first check. I just don’t understand the double standard.

> > > > >

> > > > > https://www.golfchannel.com/news/why-isnt-skechers-pitchman-tony-romo-breaking-amateur-status-rules

> > > > >

> > > > > Asked for an explanation on why the two cases differed, since both Li and Romo are amateurs, a USGA spokesman said that the amateur status rule (6-2) specifically discusses whether an amateur golfer is one of golf skill or reputation – and since Romo is known first as a professional football player, and thus his reputation is not solely based on his skill as a golfer, the rule does not apply.

> > > > >

> > > > > “While Romo is an amateur golfer, it appears his football celebrity motivated this advertisement,” said Craig Winter, the USGA’s senior director of rules and amateur status. “Additionally, the Rules of Amateur Status prohibit an amateur golfer from being part of such promotions only when he or she has ‘golf skill.’ In the case of Tony Romo, while he plays at a high level, he is not considered to have ‘golf skill’ as they are defined in the rules.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for the info

> > > >

> > > > But that really sounds like pooop. Lol. Isn’t that pretty much saying what I said. As in his previous celebrity is shielding him from losing his status. But if you or I did it , we’d lose our status.

> > >

> > > I alway had this same line of thought. Only because he happened to gain celebrity prior to the Sketchers stuff in something else, he can promote and get paid a wage for anything he wants in golf under the guise of "I'm trying to bring in the football fans". That rubs me the wrong way, but the USGA has made their decision and that's just what it's going to be.

> >

> > See, I disagree. Romo is a pretty good golfer, but he's no better a player than a 1,000 other guys out there. Has he actually qualified for a PGA Tour event, or has he just gotten in on sponsor's exemptions? Dude would be a nobody in the golf world if he wasn't a Cowboys QB.

> >

> > The ire towards the USGA is valid, but misdirected. Guys like Scott Fawcett are much more WTF cases.

>

> I'll agree with you on Scott Fawcett, completely. Also, no, he's never qualified just gotten the sponsors exemptions, but you already knew that. There are certainly more cases out there that can be named, but because this was the one brought up directly in this thread, I gave my views.

I really wasn't sure. I thought he hadn't qualified, but this is a case of why I wouldn't be a good lawyer....

I think the USGA is letting the mid-am situation get out of hand. It is approaching Publinks level of ridiculousness.

I'm not someone who is enamored with "amateur golf" and believes in the sanctity of it, etc. I really only care from the sense of it's one of the few sports where non pros can continue to compete late in life, and there needs to be a differentiation between someone who have made their living off the game, and those who haven't. But I think a guy who is well known as an athlete in another sport doing a commercial for a shoe that can be worn to play golf is not it....

> @King_Slender said:

> Whatever your opinion of Barstool Sports and their Foreplay podcast, there are a lot of guys on Tour who are fans and it brings a lot of new people into the sports who are your more "common man" types. Over the past year there has been a match brewing between Riggs (host of the podcast) and Ryan Whitney - former NHL player who has a podcast in the Barstool universe.

>

> Ultimately it was decided that they would play their match and put up $10,000 each, with their caddies getting a slice of the action.

>

> Well, the USGA stepped in and said that if the match happened, Whitney would lose his amateur status (Riggs was not concerned about losing his), so he decided to call off the match. However, if you read the USGA's stance on gambling, I fail to see where this would be a violation, if it is simply a wager between two individuals, regardless of if it is extensively covered in the media of their universe.

>

> **USGA Policy:**

>

> **The distinction between playing for prize money, which violates the Rules of Amateur Status, and gambling, which does not, is essential to the Rules of Amateur Status. **The USGA urges amateur golfers to seek USGA guidance whenever it is unclear whether the prize format constitutes playing for prize money or gambling and, in the absence of such guidance, not to play for cash prizes. Such a course of action would ensure that no one jeopardizes his amateur status.

>

> **The USGA does not object to**_ informal _**gambling or wagering among individual golfers or teams of golfers when the players in general know each other, participation in the wagering is optional and is limited to the players, the sole source of all money won by the players is advanced by the players on themselves or their own teams** and the amount of money involved is not generally considered excessive such that the primary purpose is the playing of the game for enjoyment.

>

>

>

> Is their contention that $10,000 between a guy who retired from the NHL after making $22M and a guy who is clearly making a lot of money on his podcast, is "excessive."

It says "informal" gambling. So I think what they had in mind when writing that is a couple of people at their local course playing for $20 or whatever. Informally.

Doing an organized, promoted event is not "informal". It also says "participation in the wagering is optional"- - it's arguably not optional in this case either since the event requires that you put up $10k.

Not that I agree with the USGA in general, but I can see how this event does not qualify for their description of informal gambling.