2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Rapsodo Golf Launch Monitor

puresurfr

Ive been using a Trackman and a GC Quad but those things are too big to always have around and im a bit uncomfortable leaving them in my car, I live in SF and break-ins are way too common. Recently I tried the Gamin 80 and it works quite well, its not perfect but it gives me an idea of where my swing is that day and allows me to compare different clubs. I don't worry much about ballspin and launch numbers because I use a outdoor range and can basically see if its too much spin or if it is too low. Today I am going to give the Rapsodo a workout. It incorporates the camera from the iPhone and requires 80' of flight to observe ball flight and calculate numbers. Swing Speed, BallSpeed Launch angle and video of swing are some of the information provided.

Anybody else tinkering with portable launch monitors at this time ?

I've got a Xi Tour that I enjoy taking to the range when I'm at the course only for a range session. When I'm at the course to play, instead of lugging the Xi around, I'll use my PRGR 14 RED EYES POCKET that I keep in the bag all the time. You just turn it on, place it a few feet behind the ball, and you swing away. It gives very accurate swing and ball speeds that confirm where my swing is at the range while warming up.

Ok, took this out for its maiden run today and the sun was setting and in my eyes, it seems to affect Rapsodo too. I can't give a full review yet but so far ball speed seems spot on and launch angle seems accurate, distance is wayyyyyyyyy offf by about 15-50 yards....Hopefully I get some better light tomorrow to test this driver. The video playback and shot tracer is a awesome feature. Another drawback is that it displays distance and ball speed and launch angle only. If u want swing speed, then you have to go into the settings.

Thanks for that tip......I didn't even know that was a option....they definitely need a better instruction manual....all I got was a leaflet showing how to set it up. No features were described

* Haha, I just looked at my settings and it indicates that my setup is carry and roll....how sad !!!!! Its weird, I had 126mph ball speed with my 6 iron and I see the ball carrying the 180 green at my range and the launch monitor says 144 with roll......I guess im sucking it back about 45 yards.

Update, took this out to a different range with premium balls ( TP5X ) and the ball speed is good but the distance numbers and launch numbers are a joke....they are not even close.

Pros : Video / Ball speed / Shot Tracer

Cons : Distance / Launch Angle

Wow, glad to see a representative from Rapsodo here. Rapsodo is a top top top radar for MLB baseball and very familiar with the ball tracking as well as speed tracking.

The Rapsodo is very very slick, I suspect it may be something that I am doing wrong. I have had this unit for 2 sessions only and have already corrected a few incorrect things I have been doing. The unit took me almost 15 mins to calibrate and I honestly struggled with the setup. Ill keep you guys up to date but seeing Rapsodo here on this forum tells me that this problem will be sorted out extremely quickly. The customer service at this company is awesome.

Hey, a ball speed of 126mph with your 6-iron, assuming a launch angle in the range of 14-17 degrees and midrange spin of 6500 rpm should carry around 175 yards; increasing/decreasing spin gets you roughly a minus/plus 5 yards. You can check out the trajectories at Flightscope's Trajectory Optimizer site; a very good site and a great service to the industry. Our MLM should give you something similar; if you are getting more than a few percent difference from this please send me your shot data so I can take a look.

ive sent you my data....as ive mentioned earlier, im at the range and i can see the ball land and the numbers im getting are beyond nuts.....ive been golfing for over 20 years and pretty much own every gadget ever made and this one has me confused. Its so frustrating that i have given up on it, its a great recording device and shot tracer is very fun. But I GIVE UP !!!!!! this unit is starting to give me a complex...next time im on par 3 and it says 180, im gonna flush a driver at it !

* The more i think about it the more upset im getting....Maybe this unit will work for someone else, but it certainly hates me.

* Im truly hoping that I have a defective unit because this is a awesome concept !

Well if i take into account that the 6i algorithm is set at 6600 spin and my actual spin with 6 iron is about 4800, there is a discrepancy right there and then i am using range balls when using the Rapsodo and premium balls when i play. The Rapsodo has my 6i at 115mph ball speed and 91 mph swing speed for a *total distance with roll of approximately 154. Using flight scope set at 6600 spin and the fact that i am using range balls, the numbers are not too far off. However on a course using trackman, my swing speed "tops" out at 89mph and ball speed is 123mph and my carry plus roll distance is 188.

My conclusion with the Rapsodo is that it is a EXCELLENT unit and a GREAT teaching aid. i don't rely on this unit to give me distance, it provides Awesome video and shot tracer and extremely accurate ball speed numbers and a very good launch angle number. In addition i get swing speed as well as deviation from center.

*Perhaps in the future they will include a function which takes into account whether you are a low spin player or a mid spin player or a high spin player. The spin number is a integral part of the distance formula. Since im wishing out loud, im sure they can have a default button which allows you to choose range balls or premium balls too ! And perhaps design a notch which holds the phone a bit better. On a windy range, the phone will blow off the unit and if you are on concrete that could be a cracked screen.

* Total distance was actually 165, I had the unit set to "Carry" when i thought i had set it to "Carry Plus roll"

* Another thing that should be mentioned is that it uses a GB of data from your cell phone plan by session of approx 90 balls.

Ive only used this 3 times but each time it consumed approx 0.987 GB

Rating : 9/10 , probably a 10/10 but im super fussy

My review seems a bit confusing , so i thought it would be beneficial to simplify my findings.

Video Playback : Perfect

Shot tracer : Extremely accurate

Ball Speed : Extremely accurate

Launch Angle : Accurate

Deviation : Very accurate

Distance : Very Accurate !!!

* Although i questioned the unit, it occurred to me that i am using range balls on a cold and windy range ( Presidio in San Francisco ) and my Trackman numbers were obtained at a very warm course using Premium balls. In addition i had the Rapsodo unit set up for carry only.

Rapsodo Driver Distance 272 / 147 / 103 ( Distance / Ball Speed / Swing Speed )

Trackman Driver Distance 284 / 150 /101

Rapsodo 6i 171/ 115 / 90

Trackman 6i 179 /120 / 88

* All Rapsodo numbers were obtained with clean range balls hit at a cold windy range, i will update with Premium balls this weekend

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but if it can't measure spin, then it's just estimating distance, and not "measuring" as the website says.

I appreciate these entry level monitors, as I hope they bring the price point of the big boys down, but data is no good if it's not accurate. +/- 4% is a lot, so 150 is going 144-156. You're better off finding a 150 flag at the range, lasering it, and using observation to see where you club goes.

• Like 1

> @larrybud said:

> Sorry, but if it can't measure spin, then it's just estimating distance, and not "measuring" as the website says.

>

> I appreciate these entry level monitors, as I hope they bring the price point of the big boys down, but data is no good if it's not accurate. +/- 4% is a lot, so 150 is going 144-156. You're better off finding a 150 flag at the range, lasering it, and using observation to see where you club goes.

Rapsodo MLM is within 2% of TM data. Well documented.

• 2 weeks later...

> @Ba2 said:

> > @larrybud said:

> > Sorry, but if it can't measure spin, then it's just estimating distance, and not "measuring" as the website says.

> >

> > I appreciate these entry level monitors, as I hope they bring the price point of the big boys down, but data is no good if it's not accurate. +/- 4% is a lot, so 150 is going 144-156. You're better off finding a 150 flag at the range, lasering it, and using observation to see where you club goes.

>

> Rapsodo MLM is within 2% of TM data. Well documented.

Not if it's not *measuring* spin, sorry. There's no way to be accurate without spin, and according to their own website, they do NOT measure spin.

• 3 weeks later...

But I've seen that rhapsody can differentiate between a bullet on a high trajectory vs a pop up. Ive hit some drives at 155mph ball speed and 14deg which were hit like a bullet and ive hit some but due to backspin, they visually ballooned up in the air and Rapsodo could differentiate the difference in flight. They have some type of algorithm which uses more than ball speed and launch angle and shot shape to determine distance.

I didn't know this but the Mevo takes video too !

• 2 weeks later...

Have been intrigued by the Mevo in the past and honestly was thinking about pulling the trigger yesterday when they were $350 on Amazon. But after diving in and doing some research I think the Rapsodo might fit my needs better. Would purely be using outdoors as I do not have an indoor set up. And I dont want to use stickers on the balls although it doesnt seem like its 100% necessary outdoors with the Mevo. I have a couple of questions:

How is the Rapsodo for wedge distances? I would mainly be interested in using it for wedge work so 50-130 yards or so. Can the Rapsodo be used at a covered driving range? Its outdoor but the bays are covered - didnt know if the roof would affect the ability to pick up shots or not. Thanks!