Main reason to play blades?

randywall

> @tsecor said:

> "I play blades to p-iss off the people who hate when 10+ HDCP play blades" that's a quote from a buddy of mine

Are there really that many people who care what another person plays? I’ve never once heard anyone on the course say anything negative about the equipment someone is playing.

• Like 1

I think it was a tongue and cheek moment but around here you see a TON of people talking like that. > @JDMRN81 said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > "I play blades to p-iss off the people who hate when 10+ HDCP play blades" that's a quote from a buddy of mine

>

> Are there really that many people who care what another person plays? I’ve never once heard anyone on the course say anything negative about the equipment someone is playing.

>

Most people these days are playing a mixed bag so the sexy blades can go up to 8 or a 7 iron and have little or no ill effect on a non perfect swing. Then the set blends into some sort of CB. Only the very brave a playing a ful bag of blades.

So the question should be why are you playing a full set of blades.

I'm not playing them at the moment -- went with P790s for the effortless power -- but I will always be tempted by blades for three reasons: 1) feel, 2) consistency (you get what you put in; there are no surprises), and, MOST importantly 3) low offset. I feel much more confident over a blade with no offset than with a chunky and forgiving SGI iron with a huge offset.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

I hit cb's just as bad as blades!

I first tried golf in the late 1960's (a couple of years as a young teenager) and then a big gap until about 2015.

My clubs in the 60's were an almost half set of Slazenger Ambassadors (4,6,7,9 & 2w + 5w & Dunlop putter).

When I restarted bought some cheap (discounted) cavity backs from decathlon - were OK but then saw some secondhand Mp 32's - so learnt to swing these as felt they were more like "proper" clubs.

Still have my Ambassadors & plan to give them a go sometime.

My main reasons will match many:

I play a modern blade aka slightly longer blade length + tungsten in 4-7 irons

Low offset. This is the main key. Too many players CBs are still too high in offset

I don’t need to try to hit irons further or higher. Blades keep me in check with my swing almost subconsciously. I like the aggressive off the tee + controlled old school irons combo.

I worked my way slowly up to blades, I didn’t start with them. Grooving a repeatable iron swing with variety, with blades...my iron game is set up nicely for the future when I do actually need the help

Lastly, I don’t see real world improvement using the ‘help’. Only in long irons a bit with forgiveness.

I like to hit consistent distances with my clubs, have pretty much always played blades as they give me this.

I have tried cavity backs, but generally I don't really don't like the look of them behind that ball - I like the sharp leading edge and tiny top line.

I do like my Srixon 745s, they are good but a bit chunky - my MBs are a better look for me.

I also tried some of the more modern clubs, but to be honest they just go to far - I don't want to hit my 7 iron 200 yards.

Mizuno MP68 user here (lefty...) - Best game improvement clubs i've owned. Went from a 15 handicap at the time of purchase to low single digit within a year or so. My opinion as to why? They don't hide anything.. they don't mask your flaws and force you to improve. How are you going to know what a good swing vs. bad swing feels like when you traditional "high handicap" irons produce a similar shot type? That's my take anyway.. if you don't really want to get better and just want quick results blades are not for you... if you actually want to improve and are willing to put in the work to do so they are the best and only thing you should be swinging.

• Like 1

Mizuno MP68 user here (lefty...) - Best game improvement clubs i've owned. Went from a 15 handicap at the time of purchase to low single digit within a year or so. My opinion as to why? They don't hide anything.. they don't mask your flaws and force you to improve. How are you going to know what a good swing vs. bad swing feels like when you traditional "high handicap" irons produce a similar shot type? That's my take anyway.. if you don't really want to get better and just want quick results blades are not for you... if you actually want to improve and are willing to put in the work to do so they are the best and only thing you should be swinging.

• Like 1

Only 3 reasons to play blades from my observation:

1. You are really good player who can handle blades.

2. You want to feel like you are a tour player (when in fact you are not) but just enjoy the feel of owning and playing with blades.

3. You are taking lessons and you are hopeful that one day you can actually play the blades you own and not wanting to spend more money changing clubs in the future.

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

> @hypergolf said:

> Only 3 reasons to play blades from my observation:

>

> 1. You are really good player who can handle blades.

> 2. You want to feel like you are a tour player (when in fact you are not) but just enjoy the feel of owning and playing with blades.

> 3. You are taking lessons and you are hopeful that one day you can actually play the blades you own and not wanting to spend more money changing clubs in the future.

>

>

You forgot mine, which is that I actually strike and play better with blades (and smaller clubs in general), including longer distance due to no ballooning from blades vs GI.

• Like 1

Been playing for quite awhile. I started with my moms patty berg, the first irons I purchased were Wilson staffs. Went through ram tour grinds ( a favorite) and have tried several super improvement irons through the years with the last ones being G20s. I have never played better with the supe game improvement stuff. Played ok but was always trying to keep em down a bit, hit these towering shots that were pretty but hard to play in a wind. currently playing MP5

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I started playing blades 2 years ago and now own 5 sets. When I put the first set in my bag I was 15 handicap and struggled with finding center of the face. Now 2 years with blades my handicap is down to a 5 and hitting center of the face is second nature now. And distance control is superb. Blades are a great training aid. Even if you don't think your game is good enough for them I would buy a cheap used set and just take them to the range. Your ball striking will greatly improve and you will be hooked for life. These are my current gamers tommy armour 986 tour's for $80 on eBay and they play and feel just as good or better as any new forged blade on the market jqj8cxyn9mzl.jpg

• Like 2

Nothing easier in rough than blades. Even a CB can be litle too long heel-toe.

I am 40 and what I was introduced too in the bucket of clubs at the local range.

I did play CB’s for many years but blades these days are so much easier than years past.

When you want to control the ball and have that perfect look, nothing better.

It also is a chllenge to play blades. The feel and confidence they bring.

Suprinsgly easy to hit as they force more focus and attention.

So many cool options and really just made from pure forging process allowing a connection with this game.

Raw blades and CB’s is hands down the best way to go.

- Something that continues to go long off the tee in the fairway
- Something that is a fairway finder when needed and long
- Something that high, consistent and helps with par 5’s
-  Something to help with long par3’s and short par 4’s

-  Something metal, lots of them and go the gaps I need
- Something metal, 2x of them and helps me 120y and in
- Putters - limited rotation because I cannot afford misses

Golf is what you make of it.  Play grateful and accepting. We are all lucky to have it.

Rather than expecting lets all try and appreciate instead. 
Treat people the way you want to be treated

It is my personal opinion that modern blades (2010 onwards) are easier to hit as their COG is higher in the mid to longer irons.

reasons to play blades

- consistency of flight and distance, optimal for those who flush every strike

- turf interaction with a late release

- high head speed that produces a high launch (where Cavity back irons would produce moon balls)

For some the product not the outcome creates happiness. Hence if blades make you happy play them.

To help the European tour (and Rory), I think they should make all the pros play blades like Rory (joke!), and ban forgiving cavity back clubs.

Nothing like the look on playing partners' faces when I whip out the beautiful blade and chunk my 7 iron 50 yards.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @balls_deep said:

> I love blades. I'm tinkering with starting to build a bit. Just epoxied up a couple Srixon z945 irons to try out.

>

> Have had three shocker rounds in a row. The first one I was swinging pretty terribly for the whole first half of the round - mostly due to over swinging. I calmed down and started hitting one more club and knocking my shots down. Was hitting darts with my MBs. The best part is the spin control. Yesterday I hit a wild tee shot and was under a tree but had a bit of room to get the ball out. It was 165 with wind slightly down and off the right. Green has a mammoth bunker in front, and forest on the left. Pin is back left. I'm in the right side of the fairway. Pretty much worst case scenario given how shallow the green is. I hit a trap cut up against the wind with my 8i MB - couldn't see the shot take off because of the tree but it felt pure - duck out from behind the tree and see my ball dead stop 5 feet from the pin. No joke that shot would be nearly impossible with a CB. It was exactly what blades are made for. Shot 10 over and that one shot made the round feel good.

Trap cut love it---- My standard stock shot-- comes from fighting a rope hook in my early golfing years. Something no one has brought up and you already know. For me at least it is easier to trap the ball with a thin soled butter knife than it is with a thicker rounded soled CB.

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

> @hypergolf said:

> Only 3 reasons to play blades from my observation:

>

> 1. You are really good player who can handle blades.

> 2. You want to feel like you are a tour player (when in fact you are not) but just enjoy the feel of owning and playing with blades.

> 3. You are taking lessons and you are hopeful that one day you can actually play the blades you own and not wanting to spend more money changing clubs in the future.

>

>

Perimeter weighted irons create a larger sweet spot so a swing can be off a bit and the results still produce good results (distance and accuracy). This puts less premium of grooving a swing. There are some of us who believe a well honed swing is a better answer to playing good golf. The problem is that this requires an excellent foundation of good technique and fundamentals, time to work on the swing, and playing time. For me I have always played better with blades compared to the many perimeter weighted irons I have tried. I simply don't play better with "forgiving" irons. As stated before, the 1999 Ben Hogan Apex blades are some of the most forgiving blades I have ever gamed. At least that is my perception of these irons.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > I love blades. I'm tinkering with starting to build a bit. Just epoxied up a couple Srixon z945 irons to try out.

> >

> > Have had three shocker rounds in a row. The first one I was swinging pretty terribly for the whole first half of the round - mostly due to over swinging. I calmed down and started hitting one more club and knocking my shots down. Was hitting darts with my MBs. The best part is the spin control. Yesterday I hit a wild tee shot and was under a tree but had a bit of room to get the ball out. It was 165 with wind slightly down and off the right. Green has a mammoth bunker in front, and forest on the left. Pin is back left. I'm in the right side of the fairway. Pretty much worst case scenario given how shallow the green is. I hit a trap cut up against the wind with my 8i MB - couldn't see the shot take off because of the tree but it felt pure - duck out from behind the tree and see my ball dead stop 5 feet from the pin. No joke that shot would be nearly impossible with a CB. It was exactly what blades are made for. Shot 10 over and that one shot made the round feel good.

>

> Trap cut love it---- My standard stock shot-- comes from fighting a rope hook in my early golfing years. Something no one has brought up and you already know. For me at least it is easier to trap the ball with a thin soled butter knife than it is with a thicker rounded soled CB.

Stu, sounds like you and Ben Hogan are twins! :D

I agree with Stu, a thinner sole seems to work better when working the ball. At times a "straight" shot isn't going to work and a blade is easier to get the ball to draw or fade. My experience is that perimeter weighted irons tend to fly strait even when I am trying to draw or fade the flight of the ball.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @RobotDoctor said:

> Perimeter weighted irons create a larger sweet spot so a swing can be off a bit and the results still produce good results (distance and accuracy). This puts less premium of grooving a swing. There are some of us who believe a well honed swing is a better answer to playing good golf. The problem is that this requires an excellent foundation of good technique and fundamentals, time to work on the swing, and playing time.

... _**YOU**_ put less premium on grooving a swing, the iron has nothing to do with it. People that make their living on Pro Tours playing golf, play forgiving irons and none of them are any less serious about their swing and ball contact. I have MB's I play for fun but my serious golf is with forged CB's and I put no more or less concentration on making the very best swing I can make regardless of what club I am using. Your milage obviously varies, but don't blame the club.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour