2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

High School Golf Thread

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > > @Doc420 said:

> > > So are the dominant golf programs in your states private schools?

> >

> > Not in Central Florida.

>

> > @wildcatden said:

> > > @Noles said:

> > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > > @leezer99 said:

> > > > > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > > > I just wish they would play the playoffs with the same number of kids as in the regular season. Tough seeing kids that got you to the playoffs have to sit home come playoff time.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Play better

> > > > >

> > > > > How would that help?

> > > >

> > > > Webb Simpson on speaking to Tiger about making the President's Cup Team:

> > > >

> > > > 9ykro30nj8kd.jpg

> > > >

> > >

> > > I heard this when it came out weeks ago. It doesn't answer the question at all. Tell me how it would help the situation I brought up? Do the math before you answer again.

> >

> > How do you expect to "help the situation"? Not everybody makes it to the PGA Tour FedEx Cup Playoffs. Not everybody who wants to be an astronaut becomes an astronaut. Not everybody who plays on the high school team during the season gets to play during the playoffs. If you are on the high school golf team and you know that only the top players on the team get to play during the playoffs, then play better so that you are one of the top players on your team.

> >

>

> He actually has a point. 6 kids usually play during the season. They can only take 5 to the post season. You can have a 6th player that is better than other teams #1 player. You can’t even take the number 6 as an individual to qualify for states as an individual. In many cases number 5 and 6 are identical players.

>

>

We actually go from 8 to 5, not 6 to 5. This changes the whole dynamic of the competition. Depth is less of a factor than the regulars season. I personally don't agree with it.

> @GolfSRQ said:

> Florida districts today. Misty creek country Club sarasota

> Moving on out of class 3a district 12

> Naples Gulf Coast 300

> Riverview 316

> Sarasota 320

300 is a quality HS golf score. Gulf Coast has been ranked towards the top all year.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @GolfSRQ said:

> Yeah they’re a good program. We’ve played with them this year 3-4 times. They know how to play and the kids are good kids. And for what It’s worth one of their assistant coaches shows up in a Ferrari today. Kids thought that was cool

Must have some generous boosters.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

We finished 2nd in Districts even with my 3 having his worst day of the season. Typically shoots par, shot 9 over. Should have boat raced the field, but job done and moving forward and still improving.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @Noles said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > Our School shot a school record -12 276 total today. Best player was 7 under.

>

> That's an impressive total. I'm guessing there isn't much of a dropoff in scoring when your guys start school?

That was the second time in two weeks they broke the school record. That is with the coach making a bone headed decision and arguable the 4th best player on the team, who shot -5 when they broke the school record the first time, was left at home. Had he played, the score could have possibly been better. The course is really easy as well. It is wide open and I have a feeling they didn't play at the correct distances set by the state.

No and here is why.

We have parents and kids that don't understand what it takes to move onto the next level. Our coaches are PGA certified (honestly means nothing to me) and have no clue about team golf or the college process. They live for the high school season and that is it. Our older kids only play in a handful of events through out the year and make the high school season their priority. Coach has a schedule where they only play 18 and 36 hole events. Kids travel all over the state to the tune of missing 13 days of school the first 9 weeks if you play in every event. The build up for them is the high school season.

I could write a book on the problems with the program but not going to air it in a written public forum. Some of the guys reading this here know exactly what I am talking about.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > Our School shot a school record -12 276 total today. Best player was 7 under.

> >

> > That's an impressive total. I'm guessing there isn't much of a dropoff in scoring when your guys start school?

>

> That was the second time in two weeks they broke the school record. That is with the coach making a bone headed decision and arguable the 4th best player on the team, who shot -5 when they broke the school record the first time, was left at home. Had he played, the score could have possibly been better. The course is really easy as well. It is wide open and I have a feeling they didn't play at the correct distances set by the state.

>

> No and here is why.

>

> We have parents and kids that don't understand what it takes to move onto the next level. Our coaches are PGA certified (honestly means nothing to me) and have no clue about team golf or the college process. They live for the high school season and that is it. Our older kids only play in a handful of events through out the year and make the high school season their priority. Coach has a schedule where they only play 18 and 36 hole events. Kids travel all over the state to the tune of missing 13 days of school the first 9 weeks if you play in every event. The build up for them is the high school season.

>

> I could write a book on the problems with the program but not going to air it in a written public forum. Some of the guys reading this here know exactly what I am talking about.

>

>

Interesting. I see a dropoff in the kids on my son's team (and my son) and I attribute it to being in school all day and an intense level of homework, shrinking daylight hours and playing on courses that are in poor condition compared to what kids play in the summer.

As for your team, it sounds like different people have a different idea of what they want to get out of golf. There are some kids on my son's team who have a lot of talent but have no desire to play at the next level. They want no part of what goes in to getting there. I guess people have to run their own race.

> @Sixcat said:

> A local high school just won their 4th state title in 5 years. A team total of 306 at The River Course at Virginia Tech, which is a very tough course. In my eyes, that makes the team 306 even more impressive.

>

> The team 306 total was 46 shots better than second place!

I don’t care what course that is on, 306 is not a very good high school score to win a state tournament.

• Like 1

> @Noles said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Noles said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > Our School shot a school record -12 276 total today. Best player was 7 under.

> > >

> > > That's an impressive total. I'm guessing there isn't much of a dropoff in scoring when your guys start school?

> >

> > That was the second time in two weeks they broke the school record. That is with the coach making a bone headed decision and arguable the 4th best player on the team, who shot -5 when they broke the school record the first time, was left at home. Had he played, the score could have possibly been better. The course is really easy as well. It is wide open and I have a feeling they didn't play at the correct distances set by the state.

> >

> > No and here is why.

> >

> > We have parents and kids that don't understand what it takes to move onto the next level. Our coaches are PGA certified (honestly means nothing to me) and have no clue about team golf or the college process. They live for the high school season and that is it. Our older kids only play in a handful of events through out the year and make the high school season their priority. Coach has a schedule where they only play 18 and 36 hole events. Kids travel all over the state to the tune of missing 13 days of school the first 9 weeks if you play in every event. The build up for them is the high school season.

> >

> > I could write a book on the problems with the program but not going to air it in a written public forum. Some of the guys reading this here know exactly what I am talking about.

> >

> >

>

> Interesting. I see a dropoff in the kids on my son's team (and my son) and I attribute it to being in school all day and an intense level of homework, shrinking daylight hours and playing on courses that are in poor condition compared to what kids play in the summer.

>

> As for your team, it sounds like different people have a different idea of what they want to get out of golf. There are some kids on my son's team who have a lot of talent but have no desire to play at the next level. They want no part of what goes in to getting there. I guess people have to run their own race.

We played one 9 hole match after school all year. What would be considered the “B” team shot -1. The rest of the tournaments they get out of school to play.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @Noles said:

> > > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > Our School shot a school record -12 276 total today. Best player was 7 under.

> > > >

> > > > That's an impressive total. I'm guessing there isn't much of a dropoff in scoring when your guys start school?

> > >

> > > That was the second time in two weeks they broke the school record. That is with the coach making a bone headed decision and arguable the 4th best player on the team, who shot -5 when they broke the school record the first time, was left at home. Had he played, the score could have possibly been better. The course is really easy as well. It is wide open and I have a feeling they didn't play at the correct distances set by the state.

> > >

> > > No and here is why.

> > >

> > > We have parents and kids that don't understand what it takes to move onto the next level. Our coaches are PGA certified (honestly means nothing to me) and have no clue about team golf or the college process. They live for the high school season and that is it. Our older kids only play in a handful of events through out the year and make the high school season their priority. Coach has a schedule where they only play 18 and 36 hole events. Kids travel all over the state to the tune of missing 13 days of school the first 9 weeks if you play in every event. The build up for them is the high school season.

> > >

> > > I could write a book on the problems with the program but not going to air it in a written public forum. Some of the guys reading this here know exactly what I am talking about.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Interesting. I see a dropoff in the kids on my son's team (and my son) and I attribute it to being in school all day and an intense level of homework, shrinking daylight hours and playing on courses that are in poor condition compared to what kids play in the summer.

> >

> > As for your team, it sounds like different people have a different idea of what they want to get out of golf. There are some kids on my son's team who have a lot of talent but have no desire to play at the next level. They want no part of what goes in to getting there. I guess people have to run their own race.

>

> We played one 9 hole match after school all year. What would be considered the “B” team shot -1. The rest of the tournaments they get out of school to play.

>

Or Saturdays.

Honestly, the schedule is over the top for high school golf. I think it is more improved to be in school. If you played in every match you missed a third of the 9 weeks. A couple of kids missed 13 of the 45 days. If you play through the playoffs you miss another 6 days.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Sixcat said:

> > A local high school just won their 4th state title in 5 years. A team total of 306 at The River Course at Virginia Tech, which is a very tough course. In my eyes, that makes the team 306 even more impressive.

> >

> > The team 306 total was 46 shots better than second place!

>

> I don’t care what course that is on, 306 is not a very good high school score to win a state tournament.

>

Not all 306's are created equally! That's a 76.5 scoring average for the four counting scores. Which is pretty good for a small Class A rural high school with a home track that struggles to tip out at 5,800 yards. The Class AA state champions shot 325 on the same course on the same day! The state individual champion shot 73 and incidentally, was on this team. His teammates shot 74, 79, 80.

The Pete Dye River Course may be the toughest course in Virginia. Couple that with 20 mile per hour sustained winds over the past few days, and a 306 is an outstanding score.

> @Sixcat said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Sixcat said:

> > > A local high school just won their 4th state title in 5 years. A team total of 306 at The River Course at Virginia Tech, which is a very tough course. In my eyes, that makes the team 306 even more impressive.

> > >

> > > The team 306 total was 46 shots better than second place!

> >

> > I don’t care what course that is on, 306 is not a very good high school score to win a state tournament.

> >

>

> Not all 306's are created equally! That's a 76.5 scoring average for the four counting scores. Which is pretty good for a small Class A rural high school with a home track that struggles to tip out at 5,800 yards. The Class AA state champions shot 325 on the same course on the same day! The state individual champion shot 73 and incidentally, was on this team. His teammates shot 74, 79, 80.

>

> The Pete Dye River Course may be the toughest course in Virginia. Couple that with 20 mile per hour sustained winds over the past few days, and a 306 is an outstanding score.

Weather plays such a huge factor, especially in colder climates. The Big Ten Championship was practically in my backyard last year. Illinois shot 287-303-278. The scores for the entire field were high on Saturday because of the conditions. Last weekend in April and people were dressed like February.

• Like 1

Good Morning everyone. As a new High School golf coach I am looking for suggestions of the things you have seen or been given while on the team that were useful and/or nice to have. I am coming into a program that has been "left out" compared to other teams in the area. We have the money as a school to get a few nice things for the ladies but I am interested in the opinions of those people who have experience. What are those things that every golf team NEEDS and what are somethings that might be WANTS but nice to have if you can afford it. Thank you in advance.

> @Willian70 said:

> Good Morning everyone. As a new High School golf coach I am looking for suggestions of the things you have seen or been given while on the team that were useful and/or nice to have. I am coming into a program that has been "left out" compared to other teams in the area. We have the money as a school to get a few nice things for the ladies but I am interested in the opinions of those people who have experience. What are those things that every golf team NEEDS and what are somethings that might be WANTS but nice to have if you can afford it. Thank you in advance.

Team Bags and Team Towels for sure. Those are the only needs in my opinion. Everything else is wants.

> @Willian70 said:

> Good Morning everyone. As a new High School golf coach I am looking for suggestions of the things you have seen or been given while on the team that were useful and/or nice to have. I am coming into a program that has been "left out" compared to other teams in the area. We have the money as a school to get a few nice things for the ladies but I am interested in the opinions of those people who have experience. What are those things that every golf team NEEDS and what are somethings that might be WANTS but nice to have if you can afford it. Thank you in advance.

Team Bag, absolutely. Team Towel, maybe. How are uniforms handled? Are they school supplied or will the players pay for them? Personally, I’m a fan of team hats/visors. I feel it completes the uniform. Not required but finishes the look.

> @JBirdUt said:

> > @Willian70 said:

> > Good Morning everyone. As a new High School golf coach I am looking for suggestions of the things you have seen or been given while on the team that were useful and/or nice to have. I am coming into a program that has been "left out" compared to other teams in the area. We have the money as a school to get a few nice things for the ladies but I am interested in the opinions of those people who have experience. What are those things that every golf team NEEDS and what are somethings that might be WANTS but nice to have if you can afford it. Thank you in advance.

>

> Team Bag, absolutely. Team Towel, maybe. How are uniforms handled? Are they school supplied or will the players pay for them? Personally, I’m a fan of team hats/visors. I feel it completes the uniform. Not required but finishes the look.

Our Boy's Team has:

Team Bag

Team Towel

2 Hats

3 Polos

3 Shorts

3 different color belts

Team Adidas 360 Shoes (They suck by the way. Everyone gets blisters)

Team Short sleeved Tee

Team Long sleeved Tee

Team Long sleeved 1/4 Zip

School Pays for part Boosters the other part.

Our Girl's Team has:

Team Bags

Team Towels

2 Polos

2 Hats

School pays for uniforms. Boosters the rest.

• Like 1

>

> Our Girl's Team has:

> Team Bags

> Team Towels

> 2 Polos

> 2 Hats

>

> School pays for uniforms. Boosters the rest.

My daughter’s high school team received a team bag, two shirts, a rain breaker, and a sleeve of balls for the regional and state championship. No boosters, other than parents. Girls could participate in a fund raiser to help offset the $900 cost.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Right now we do not have enough bags for the entire team. Our jersey's are mismatched and basically we have girls wearing hats/visors in different colors than our school colors. We have plenty of money between the school and boosters to get somethings done. It has not been a priority for the old regime to make sure the girls were set up for success. We can easily solve a lot of issues with matching jersey/uniform polo and bags for everyone.

Keep the replies coming because I know what is needed and what is expected but others do not. So more fuel for my fire the better. Thanks again.

Also suggestions for towels/hats etc would be great. Who you use if you know etc. That way I can get a list of potential ideas to float to Admin. Thanks.

> @Willian70 said:

> Thanks for the replies everyone. Right now we do not have enough bags for the entire team. Our jersey's are mismatched and basically we have girls wearing hats/visors in different colors than our school colors. We have plenty of money between the school and boosters to get somethings done. It has not been a priority for the old regime to make sure the girls were set up for success. We can easily solve a lot of issues with matching jersey/uniform polo and bags for everyone.

>

> Keep the replies coming because I know what is needed and what is expected but others do not. So more fuel for my fire the better. Thanks again.

>

> Also suggestions for towels/hats etc would be great. Who you use if you know etc. That way I can get a list of potential ideas to float to Admin. Thanks.

Easier for girl's than guys. Keep the focus on good academics. Stress the importance of character and integrity. Cheating can become an epidemic on teams if coaches/staff do not stress the importance of paying attention to others on the course. Golf is no different than any other sport and it is a sad reality that people will try to get away with what you let them get away with.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Sixcat said:

> > A local high school just won their 4th state title in 5 years. A team total of 306 at The River Course at Virginia Tech, which is a very tough course. In my eyes, that makes the team 306 even more impressive.

> >

> > The team 306 total was 46 shots better than second place!

>

> I don’t care what course that is on, 306 is not a very good high school score to win a state tournament.

>

Our target number is 280. If my kids shot over 300 on any track in any condition I’d lose my mind.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

WOW, 280!?!?! Not sure I'm buying that!

The all time scoring record in Virginia is 571, where Blacksburg shot rounds of 283-288. And that's the all-time scoring record. Seven members of that team are currently playing or have signed to play D1 golf. Two at Virginia Tech, one at Northwestern and another at Charleston Southern. Another member of that team was only a sophomore at the time and is currently deciding between Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and Duke.

The internet is a fascinating thing. It allows for almost instant research! It would appear the Florida 2018-2019 state champions in 3A shot 305-298 = 603.

https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/golf/archives/2018-19/state/3a_boys_team_final_results.pdf

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @Sixcat said:

> > > A local high school just won their 4th state title in 5 years. A team total of 306 at The River Course at Virginia Tech, which is a very tough course. In my eyes, that makes the team 306 even more impressive.

> > >

> > > The team 306 total was 46 shots better than second place!

> >

> > I don’t care what course that is on, 306 is not a very good high school score to win a state tournament.

> >

>

> Our target number is 280. If my kids shot over 300 on any track in any condition I’d lose my mind.

280 At Mission Inn isn't happening.

If you look at the history of playing that course, 300-300 will win. American Heritage has 3 D1 players on it and arguably the best team in the state. They were right at that last year.

> @Sixcat said:

> WOW, 280!?!?! Not sure I'm buying that!

>

> The all time scoring record in Virginia is 571, where Blacksburg shot rounds of 283-288. And that's the all-time scoring record. Seven members of that team are currently playing or have signed to play D1 golf. Two at Virginia Tech, one at Northwestern and another at Charleston Southern. Another member of that team was only a sophomore at the time and is currently deciding between Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and Duke.

>

> The internet is a fascinating thing. It allows for almost instant research! It would appear the Florida 2018-2019 state champions in 3A shot 305-298 = 603.

>

> https://www.fhsaa.org/sites/default/files/orig_uploads/sports/golf/archives/2018-19/state/3a_boys_team_final_results.pdf

>

>

Yes. Mission Inn El Campeon is a really hard course. 300-300 will win. No one is shooting below par as a team there.