Titleist T200 vs TM New P790s Thread

herbert7890

Hi all,

Just making this thread so we can discuss the highly coveted T-200s vs New P790s, as I know many people are struggling to see which one to buy (like myself) and hoping everyone that gets to try them both can chime in on this thread with their feedback and comparison between these 2 sets.

• 2 weeks later...

I will chime in, since I was in your same boat. To sum it up I got literally the same numbers with each both on good and not so good shots. The profiles are totally different looking to me, 790 are chunky and the T200 are very slim. Couldn’t go wrong with either in my mind, but I will say the T200 appear initially to be the AP3 Titleist players were looking for. 790 are just a tweaked version, that most people say are the same really... not a knock since they are legit. I may buy a set of them as well if the itch continues. As it stands I ordered the Titleist as I have been a Titleist player for most of my life.

• Like 2

I've hit both and would say Titleist looks better at address and feels better. Performance is similar but I think P790s are a bit more forgiving. P790's looks wise overall wins by a mile to me if you don't count the chunkier top line. T200 badging is hideous. Not going to go wrong with either of these if this is the type of iron that fits you.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 54.10 S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

It’s funny how some love the looks of one and call the other hideous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally sold the first generation P790s and just,picked up my custom T200s tonight. Off for my first round tomorrow. Hope the swing is on and the hype deserved. As for which one is better? That’s easy. Play what you like regardless of what others think. You’ll be happier

• Like 3

> @Lobber said:

> It’s funny how some love the looks of one and call the other hideous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally sold the first generation P790s and just,picked up my custom T200s tonight. Off for my first round tomorrow. Hope the swing is on and the hype deserved. As for which one is better? That’s easy. Play what you like regardless of what others think. You’ll be happier

Very true statement there, especially with today’s irons

> @balls_deep said:

> > @golpher63 said:

> > I have the P790s and they feel great. The SpeedFoam is a great addition and gives a really soft feel and a ton of forgiveness

>

> Lol fastfoam marketing got one!

Man I hate it when golf companies make my irons better by giving me more forgiveness and distance on off center hits. How dare they!!

> @ASN21 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @golpher63 said:

> > > I have the P790s and they feel great. The SpeedFoam is a great addition and gives a really soft feel and a ton of forgiveness

> >

> > Lol fastfoam marketing got one!

>

> Man I hate it when golf companies make my irons better by giving me more forgiveness and distance on off center hits. How dare they!!

The speed foam does nothing for forgiveness or distance. The P790 would be just about identical in forgiveness and distance if they left all the foam out and it was truly hollow (like the i500). The foam damps vibration, which effects "feel" and more importantly sound. That makes them sound less tinny and to most people softer. Dampening that "feel" might also make it harder to tell when you don't middle a shot, giving you the impression that you are striking it better than you are. Whether this is a problem to you, only you can judge.

> @ASN21 said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @golpher63 said:

> > > I have the P790s and they feel great. The SpeedFoam is a great addition and gives a really soft feel and a ton of forgiveness

> >

> > Lol fastfoam marketing got one!

>

> Man I hate it when golf companies make my irons better by giving me more forgiveness and distance on off center hits. How dare they!!

Judging by your sig I'd say you drank the koolaid too bud. #tEaMtaYlORmADe

> @arbeck said:

> > @ASN21 said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @golpher63 said:

> > > > I have the P790s and they feel great. The SpeedFoam is a great addition and gives a really soft feel and a ton of forgiveness

> > >

> > > Lol fastfoam marketing got one!

> >

> > Man I hate it when golf companies make my irons better by giving me more forgiveness and distance on off center hits. How dare they!!

>

> The speed foam does nothing for forgiveness or distance. The P790 would be just about identical in forgiveness and distance if they left all the foam out and it was truly hollow (like the i500). The foam damps vibration, which effects "feel" and more importantly sound. That makes them sound less tinny and to most people softer. Dampening that "feel" might also make it harder to tell when you don't middle a shot, giving you the impression that you are striking it better than you are. Whether this is a problem to you, only you can judge.

We will agree to disagree.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @ASN21 said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @golpher63 said:

> > > > I have the P790s and they feel great. The SpeedFoam is a great addition and gives a really soft feel and a ton of forgiveness

> > >

> > > Lol fastfoam marketing got one!

> >

> > Man I hate it when golf companies make my irons better by giving me more forgiveness and distance on off center hits. How dare they!!

>

> Judging by your sig I'd say you drank the koolaid too bud. #tEaMtaYlORmADe

I knew that was going to be your response. #NailedTheTypeOfPersonYouAre

I agree with @drscott266 . They are both amazing irons. I hit both extensively in a fit a week ago and like he said it really was neck and neck. I ultimately liked the P790 more due to the size and blade length. Im a competent ball striker but something about looking down and seeing a little more help was nice.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @ASN21 said:

> > @arbeck said:

> > The speed foam does nothing for forgiveness or distance. The P790 would be just about identical in forgiveness and distance if they left all the foam out and it was truly hollow (like the i500). The foam damps vibration, which effects "feel" and more importantly sound. That makes them sound less tinny and to most people softer. Dampening that "feel" might also make it harder to tell when you don't middle a shot, giving you the impression that you are striking it better than you are. Whether this is a problem to you, only you can judge.

>

> We will agree to disagree.

That's not something one can do when one doesn't have any facts supporting their argument. There's nothing in the laws of physics that would allow the speed foam to do anything for distance without breaking the USGA/RA rules. The COR of the face is regulated and you can easily take the face to the COR limit just by making it thin. If anything foam would slow down the face (which is ironically what they do with the M5/M6 drivers). You can also use targeted foam/polymer material in a spot to support the face in certain ways to tame ball speeds in one area while increasing them in others, while at the same time effecting feel. This is what Titleist is doing with their max impact tech on the T200 and similar to the COR-Eye from Ping. TM doesn't need to do this because they are using inverted cone technology to manage ball speed across the face. The foam is literally only there to dampen vibration which changes the sound and make them sound more like a solid iron and less like a hollow hybrid. Listen to the i500 and the P790 hit back to back and it's obvious.

That doesn't mean the speed foam isn't a good thing. Most people don't want to play an iron with a high pitched ting. Most people want to feel like they hit more shots out of the middle. the P790 gives them that and gives them excellent performance. But the foam doesn't add to the performance, it's the equivalent of the microspheres that Callaway or the Custom Tuning Port used on the G series from Ping.

Whoa whoa whoa easy on the speed foam discussion.. maybe you guys can start a new thread for that haha

I got fitted for both T200 and P790 yesterday. Here are my notes:

Looks: T200 is a great looking club, and wins over the P790 at address. The T200 (relative to P790) was a bit shorter in blade length, less offset and thinner top line. T200 looked VERY close to T100 with T100 just being a touch smaller (at least when comparing the 8-irons). I will say that I didn't really like the 5 or 4 iron in the T200, as you can see the back of the club quite a bit. If I went T200 I'd probably get a U500 in the longer irons as the U500 is absolutely gorgeous.

Feel: P790 wins by a mile here. To me the T200 had that very 'thin' feeling that you get with cast or game improvement clubs. I did notice however that feedback was quite good, I was able to tell when my misses were far off. I was amazed at the feel of the P790s. You would not be able to tell these are hollow body based on the feel alone, they felt as good as the T100 and I would say even softer than my current X-forged irons.

Performance: P790 also by a longshot. I hit probably 100 balls with the T-series irons, and after hitting 3 shots with the P790 I decided it was better for me. Good shots were carrying about 10 yards farther than T200, and the mishits were also less punishing. Using the same shaft I was also getting a bit higher spin and launch with P790.

Summary: thought it would be a tough choice but P790 was the clear winner for me!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Trying to revive this thread! I just got fit and these two heads were very very comparable. Got fit into the modus 105 stiff. Both heads felt great with that, but the p790 a little 'greater'. My dispersion was slightly better with the t200 but not so much so that it was material. The fitter was surprised to see my spin was lower with the t200 in every iron, but again it wasn't significant. Ball flight a little higher with the p790.

I THINK i am leaning to the p790 for cosmetics, but it really is a toss-up. Anyone who has had either for a month or so has anything that makes one stand out as worse? Like do the t200 scuff fast or do the p790s scratch bad from bag chatter? Honestly, they performed so similarly im looking for anything small to help tip the balance so i can make a dang decision.

thanks

> @ETgolf said:

> Trying to revive this thread! I just got fit and these two heads were very very comparable. Got fit into the modus 105 stiff. Both heads felt great with that, but the p790 a little 'greater'. My dispersion was slightly better with the t200 but not so much so that it was material. The fitter was surprised to see my spin was lower with the t200 in every iron, but again it wasn't significant. Ball flight a little higher with the p790.

>

> I THINK i am leaning to the p790 for cosmetics, but it really is a toss-up. Anyone who has had either for a month or so has anything that makes one stand out as worse? Like do the t200 scuff fast or do the p790s scratch bad from bag chatter? Honestly, they performed so similarly im looking for anything small to help tip the balance so i can make a dang decision.

>

> thanks

My 2 cents are the P790s are a little chunkier all around, both topline and sole than the T200's which really fit my eye and game. The leading edge and hosel just blend well for my eye, and really help me line up the clubface well. I also think the TM's feel more consistent throughout the set, I was crazy and if you read back in the thread bought both sets this year. What I found in the T200's was the longer irons felt really hollow like the AP3 did, the 790's feel more less the same throughout the set. I sold my T200's after a few range sessions and have been gaming the 790's since they arrived without looking back. I tend to get more roll out with them than the T200's, but I also can hit the ball a little further with the TM's which I wanted. The T200's seemed to apex higher but it cost me distance in the longer clubs. My goal was to really test the full sets out, and what I found was the 790's met my expectations better for this class of iron. I am sure some people have the opposite opinion, so if you are leaning towards them go with them! The T200 look almost like the 718 AP2, which if that is what you are looking for than its a huge improvement... for me the 790 inspired more confidence so I hit them better overall.

> @drscott266 said:

> > @ETgolf said:

> > Trying to revive this thread! I just got fit and these two heads were very very comparable. Got fit into the modus 105 stiff. Both heads felt great with that, but the p790 a little 'greater'. My dispersion was slightly better with the t200 but not so much so that it was material. The fitter was surprised to see my spin was lower with the t200 in every iron, but again it wasn't significant. Ball flight a little higher with the p790.

> >

> > I THINK i am leaning to the p790 for cosmetics, but it really is a toss-up. Anyone who has had either for a month or so has anything that makes one stand out as worse? Like do the t200 scuff fast or do the p790s scratch bad from bag chatter? Honestly, they performed so similarly im looking for anything small to help tip the balance so i can make a dang decision.

> >

> > thanks

>

> My 2 cents are the P790s are a little chunkier all around, both topline and sole than the T200's which really fit my eye and game. The leading edge and hosel just blend well for my eye, and really help me line up the clubface well. I also think the TM's feel more consistent throughout the set, I was crazy and if you read back in the thread bought both sets this year. What I found in the T200's was the longer irons felt really hollow like the AP3 did, the 790's feel more less the same throughout the set. I sold my T200's after a few range sessions and have been gaming the 790's since they arrived without looking back. I tend to get more roll out with them than the T200's, but I also can hit the ball a little further with the TM's which I wanted. The T200's seemed to apex higher but it cost me distance in the longer clubs. My goal was to really test the full sets out, and what I found was the 790's met my expectations better for this class of iron. I am sure some people have the opposite opinion, so if you are leaning towards them go with them! The T200 look almost like the 718 AP2, which if that is what you are looking for than its a huge improvement... for me the 790 inspired more confidence so I hit them better overall.

Thanks for the response! I did notice you had purchased both from my earlier pouring over the thread, so am very pleased you shared your experience. I think ill fire on the p790, as thats where i have been leaning strongly. I did notice a better feel in the long irons with them (and really throughout), so hearing your feedback on the t200 in that regard makes a lot of sense.

> @txboomboom said:

> For you guys that are playing the 790’s - what shafts do you have? Any input or feedback on the stock DG 105’s?

Couldnt control the DG 105's so swapped them out for the Project X LZ 120 6.0's and made a night and day difference. Much heavier weight which I prefer and felt the club load a lot easier.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I have the new P790"s with the stock DG105's in S. The previous irons were TM R9's.

I tried everything that I could before settliing on the P790's. IMO around 80% of them were nowhere near as good overall as the 8 year old R9's.

Of the Titleist irons, by far the best for me were the 718 AP3's. They have the look, feel, sound, ball flight, and forgiveness levels that are all very good at the least. They are also currently available for $850, which is at least $500 less than the T200's. The T200's look (from the back and in the bag), feel, and sound like a GI set. $1400 MSRP is a rediculous pice for them. The other issue I have with most Titleist irons is that the PW is 43 degree loft. That makes a jump directly to my Vokey's not possible, inducing/forcing you into the set's gap wedge, which I have no interest in.

The P790's are a very good set overall. To me at any rate though, they have a significant Achilles heal. They don't like to be hit thin, and hits on hard ground and thin lies are a crap shoot. They work best with a more upright swing plane and someone who takes a significant divot. They have a lot of tungsten in an effort to stabilize the head laterally, but it's not located low in the head to promote launch, and corredctly so, as they wouold then be rocket launchers rather than golf clubs. Still, if it was me, I'd take the demo club and hit a few shots out of a hard divot or similar before committing.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

T> @peterrod said:

> > @txboomboom said:

> > For you guys that are playing the 790’s - what shafts do you have? Any input or feedback on the stock DG 105’s?

>

> Nippon Modus 120 Pro stiff shaft.

Do you now your swing speed with 6 or 7 iron? Swing speed with driver?

> @ETgolf said:

> > @drscott266 said:

> > > @ETgolf said:

> > > Trying to revive this thread! I just got fit and these two heads were very very comparable. Got fit into the modus 105 stiff. Both heads felt great with that, but the p790 a little 'greater'. My dispersion was slightly better with the t200 but not so much so that it was material. The fitter was surprised to see my spin was lower with the t200 in every iron, but again it wasn't significant. Ball flight a little higher with the p790.

> > >

> > > I THINK i am leaning to the p790 for cosmetics, but it really is a toss-up. Anyone who has had either for a month or so has anything that makes one stand out as worse? Like do the t200 scuff fast or do the p790s scratch bad from bag chatter? Honestly, they performed so similarly im looking for anything small to help tip the balance so i can make a dang decision.

> > >

> > > thanks

> >

> > My 2 cents are the P790s are a little chunkier all around, both topline and sole than the T200's which really fit my eye and game. The leading edge and hosel just blend well for my eye, and really help me line up the clubface well. I also think the TM's feel more consistent throughout the set, I was crazy and if you read back in the thread bought both sets this year. What I found in the T200's was the longer irons felt really hollow like the AP3 did, the 790's feel more less the same throughout the set. I sold my T200's after a few range sessions and have been gaming the 790's since they arrived without looking back. I tend to get more roll out with them than the T200's, but I also can hit the ball a little further with the TM's which I wanted. The T200's seemed to apex higher but it cost me distance in the longer clubs. My goal was to really test the full sets out, and what I found was the 790's met my expectations better for this class of iron. I am sure some people have the opposite opinion, so if you are leaning towards them go with them! The T200 look almost like the 718 AP2, which if that is what you are looking for than its a huge improvement... for me the 790 inspired more confidence so I hit them better overall.

>

> Thanks for the response! I did notice you had purchased both from my earlier pouring over the thread, so am very pleased you shared your experience. I think ill fire on the p790, as thats where i have been leaning strongly. I did notice a better feel in the long irons with them (and really throughout), so hearing your feedback on the t200 in that regard makes a lot of sense.

I don't think you'll be disappointed! Everyone is going to have their own opinion but I definitely like these irons, and had much the same situation going in as you did. > @AG12 said:

> > @txboomboom said:

> > For you guys that are playing the 790’s - what shafts do you have? Any input or feedback on the stock DG 105’s?

>

> Couldnt control the DG 105's so swapped them out for the Project X LZ 120 6.0's and made a night and day difference. Much heavier weight which I prefer and felt the club load a lot easier.

I got fit> @ETgolf said:

> > @drscott266 said:

> > > @ETgolf said:

> > > Trying to revive this thread! I just got fit and these two heads were very very comparable. Got fit into the modus 105 stiff. Both heads felt great with that, but the p790 a little 'greater'. My dispersion was slightly better with the t200 but not so much so that it was material. The fitter was surprised to see my spin was lower with the t200 in every iron, but again it wasn't significant. Ball flight a little higher with the p790.

> > >

> > > I THINK i am leaning to the p790 for cosmetics, but it really is a toss-up. Anyone who has had either for a month or so has anything that makes one stand out as worse? Like do the t200 scuff fast or do the p790s scratch bad from bag chatter? Honestly, they performed so similarly im looking for anything small to help tip the balance so i can make a dang decision.

> > >

> > > thanks

> >

> > My 2 cents are the P790s are a little chunkier all around, both topline and sole than the T200's which really fit my eye and game. The leading edge and hosel just blend well for my eye, and really help me line up the clubface well. I also think the TM's feel more consistent throughout the set, I was crazy and if you read back in the thread bought both sets this year. What I found in the T200's was the longer irons felt really hollow like the AP3 did, the 790's feel more less the same throughout the set. I sold my T200's after a few range sessions and have been gaming the 790's since they arrived without looking back. I tend to get more roll out with them than the T200's, but I also can hit the ball a little further with the TM's which I wanted. The T200's seemed to apex higher but it cost me distance in the longer clubs. My goal was to really test the full sets out, and what I found was the 790's met my expectations better for this class of iron. I am sure some people have the opposite opinion, so if you are leaning towards them go with them! The T200 look almost like the 718 AP2, which if that is what you are looking for than its a huge improvement... for me the 790 inspired more confidence so I hit them better overall.

>

> Thanks for the response! I did notice you had purchased both from my earlier pouring over the thread, so am very pleased you shared your experience. I think ill fire on the p790, as thats where i have been leaning strongly. I did notice a better feel in the long irons with them (and really throughout), so hearing your feedback on the t200 in that regard makes a lot of sense.

I will also add that I got the sets gap wedge, and swapped it into the slot my vokey 52 was in... couldnt be happier. The forgiveness on the gap wedge is unreal and it fits my yardage gaps way better than the T200 48* one. If there is one thing that surprised me the most its the use I have gotten out of the 790 gap wedge. The only thing that plagues me is the 4 iron, which has been my weakness no matter what set. I can get away with using it off the tee in a driving iron type situation, but I have a hard time elevating it from the fairway. I have no issue hitting the 5 iron, but that has been my issue with any set really.

• 7 months later...

When I had my fitting earlier this year, my spin numbers were too low with the 790s but the T200s were more in line so I went with them. Dispersion was better for me with the T200s also. On the course I'm liking them, took some getting used to since I went up in shaft weight by 25 or 30 grams but overall I'm happy with my choice. Now kind of wish I would have tried out the T100 S but they weren't available at the fitting.

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311 P w/accra  5-gap 
54* & 58* PXG Forged
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

• 3 weeks later...
@larryd3 I finally made it to a Titleist demo to hit the T200s and T100S's. My numbers were actually better with T200s. The Titleist guy running the demo was a little surprise that my top 5 shots were all with the 200. I also hit the TS3 driver and holy smokes does that thing crush the ball. I ended up ordering the irons and the driver and look forward to them coming in next month.