Favorite Public Course in the Greater Houston Region

CougarRed

Not many people voting. I voted Wilderness.

But, since I am bored.......

Woodforest is a great track but running tournaments and dealing with their management is not worth the effort.

Cypresswood Tradition - just don't like it. Cypress course...yes. Tradition...nope.

HMR...is a favorite but not above Wilderness.

Blackhorse, both North and South, nice tracks...again not above Wilderness.

GCOH...played it not near time for the Houston Open and honestly was not impressed with the shape it was in.

Memorial Park...who knows...not open yet. Spent too many 6-1/2 hour rounds on it when the city was running it to want to play it much. Will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.

Moody Gardens....not worth the drive for me. One of the most disappoint tracks I have played in Greater Houston Area.

Panther Trail...always enjoyed it.

Eagle Pointe...15 great holes of golf, 1 hole so so, 2 absolutely stupid. Last time there...disappointing shape.

Others mentioned but not on voting list...

Gus Wortham...nice redo of course, great shape but the routing leaves something to be desired.

Augusta Pines...not enough experience there to say. La Toretta...last time there...not so good shape.

Meadowbrook Farms...playing tournament there on Thursday. Hope it is in better shape than the painted greens I played on there last time.

Wildcat Lakes...fun but just so so.

Not mentioned...

Wildcat Highlands...you never know if they have let the native grass grow up and it is really in play or if they have scalped it to the ground and hitting from it is not much worse than hitting from the rough...you just never know how the course will play before you get there. Leave it as a true hazard or mow it down and leave it wide open...just be consistent.

Westfork in Conroe...fun layout, never in super shape but has character. Always worth a replay.

Sharpstown...boring and a City of Houston boondoggle buying it for more than it was worth after they passed on a great deal with much more property and a full 18 holes.

Red Wolf Run....grass would be nice. Only thing green in the fairway is weeds. Greens like putting on 70s shag carpet

Gleannloch Pines...nice folks, 18 good holes. other 9...so so at best. Memorable...nope

Cypress Lakes...pretty much always in good shape. Fun to play.

Sienna Plantation...not a bad layout but it seems there is always something wrong there. Could be bunkers today, greens tomorrow, who knows.

Southwyck...fun course. Will they ever in my lifetime have bunkers that are playable.

Tour 18...because of what it is, no continuity to the layout. Fix the damn bunkers...they are horrible

Quail Valley...Eldorado...target golf, fun to play, another bad bunker course. Be careful of the mesh sticking up out of the sand. City of Missouri City will not spend the money to fix it. And then there is La Quinta...the red headed step child of Quail Valley. Good layout. Probably has the best 9 of the 36 holes at QV.

Longwood...27 holes. Must be hard to maintain all 27 holes. They seem to always be mediocre...plow up 9 and just

keep the other 18 in good shape. Yes, I know the flooding has been an issue.

Timber Creek...used to be great expect for the gravel bunkers. Few weeks back...course looked like it was suffering from no water. Greens had huge bare spots, dry as a bone...had to pay full price....no more

Cinco Ranch...decent track, generally in good shape...slow slow play

Oakhurst of Kingwood...huge huge greens. Hit or miss condition. When in good shape...joy to play. But, you never know.

Stonebridge Newport...wow...used to hold an LPGA event there. Definitely lost its luster. Last time there...terrible shape...but that was several years ago. Not going to drive that far for mostly weeds.

What did I miss...? Who did I not make happy?

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rick! I came back to golf in 2018 after playing no more than once a year for 15 years. Hope to play all the courses listed above over the next year or so.

I am playing Tradition on Saturday for the first time in many years. I really liked it back in the day, and voted for it in the poll. May come to regret that...

Played Gus Wortham last weekend and loved it except for the amenities. What a fun test of golf! I actually enjoyed it more than Blackhorse South which I played in May, and BH South is a very solid course.

Played Wildcat Highlands a couple of times recently. For a links style, I like it better than Southwyck. But it's nothing special. In particular, the bunkers suck.

Played Meadowbrook Farms last year. Not impressed.

Plan to play GCOH in September before the Houston Open. Will be going to Moody Gardens in November. Looking forward to Memorial Park opening in November as well. Need to get to Wilderness obviously...

Rick, which is the 9 to avoid at Gleannloch Pines?

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

Never had to deal with the staff for a tournament but i have always loved Woodforest. Greens are the best in Houston for sure.

As for Gleannloch i like the Loch to Pines 18 the best. Never like starting out on a par 3 in Glean.

Augusta Pines would be higher on my list but they have had so many issues with the grass on the fairways and rough is has moved down a good way. They do however make really good drinks at the bar inside.

wilderness is outstanding ... very reasonably priced and always in great condition when i played ... interesting holes with no suburban housing to deal with ... my crew loved going out there ... wish i had played it more often ... worth the drive on the weekends, for sure ...

Played Cypresswood Tradition this morning. The course was in great shape. The greens were true and the bunkers had sufficient sand. Great layout - just like I remembered it aside from one tee box change due to Harvey. I like it better than Blackhorse South for sure. Better than pre-renovation Memorial Park.

At $90 with range balls and a 35 minute drive vs $55 at Gus Wortham and a 15 minute drive, I would be happy at either!

===================

I've found two golf leagues that play many of the courses described in this thread in a tournament setting, generally on Sundays. Both appear to have long histories:

[Little John Golf League](http://www.littlejohngolfleague.com/ljgllive/default.aspx "Little John Golf League")

[Houston Amateur Golf Association](http://www.haga.org "Houston Amateur Golf Association")

===================

PS. Found this article...Mike Bailey at Golf Advisor ranks his Top 10 in the Houston area:

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/my-top-10-public-golf-courses-in-the-houston-area

I posted a similar poll on the Greater Houston Golfers facebook page, which has ~1,100 members. The results so far, with about 8% of the members voting:

Wilderness - 22 votes

Woodforest - 17

Eagle Pointe - 14

Cypresswood Tradition - 8

High Meadow Ranch - 7

Gus Wortham - 4

Moody Gardens - 3

GCOH Tournament - 3

Timber Creek - 3

Memorial Park - 2

Blackhorse South - 2

Red Wolf - 2

Longwood - 1

The Falls (closed) - 1

I don’t mind Houston National. The greens are usually in decent shape and I’ve found that course always drains the best out of any in Houston after a decent amount of rain.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSI2 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

• 1 month later...

Interesting read after seeing this after a post from @CougarRed

My favourites so far -

Cypresswood Tradition

Cypress Lakes

Blackhorse South

Blackhorse North

Wildcat Lakes

Still to discover more with Woodforest and Wilderness still number one on the list to try.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Played nine holes at Timber Creek today (the Creekside 9). Never played Timber Creek before, and they offer a cart-fee birthday round the week before or after your b-day. So I thought I would check it out.

I liked the layout a lot. Plenty of undulation. Lots of trees and no houses to be seen. Large greens & wide fairways but lots of trouble if you hit it sideways.

The conditions, however, are substandard compared to Gus Wortham or Cypresswood Tradition. Lots of weeds growing on the greens. Washed out bunkers with a hard gravel layer. Hard greens (hardly made a divot).

On a personal note, shot my first under par nine since coming back to the game in 2018. Hit two flagsticks and made three birdies.

> @CougarRed said:

> Played nine holes at Timber Creek today (the Creekside 9). Never played Timber Creek before, and they offer a cart-fee birthday round the week before or after your b-day. So I thought I would check it out.

>

> I liked the layout a lot. Plenty of undulation. Lots of trees and no houses to be seen. Large greens & wide fairways but lots of trouble if you hit it sideways.

>

> The conditions, however, are substandard compared to Gus Wortham or Cypresswood Tradition. Lots of weeds growing on the greens. Washed out bunkers with a hard gravel layer. Hard greens (hardly made a divot).

>

> On a personal note, shot my first under par nine since coming back to the game in 2018. Hit two flagsticks and made three birdies.

Congrats on the under par nine. I played Timber Creek in the Houston Senior Travelers league last week. I don't understand what has happened to the course. At one time it was always in great shape. The last 2 times I have played there, the greens looked as if they hadn't seen water in a week. Also lots of weeds and it seems as if they have just given up on the bunkers. They have always had the heavy gravel like sand in them but now they are just compacted and terrible to play from. And, they still charge you as if they were in great condition.

• 8 months later...

Got a chance to play The Wilderness Saturday for the first time. Very impressive layout (lots of undulation) surrounded by an audoban bird sanctuary forest. No houses in sight. Course was in great condition, although the greens (while smooth and true) were a tad slow. Got around in less than 4 hours.

With virtually no traffic on Saturday morning, I got there in 45 minutes despite all the road construction on 288.

From the Maroon tees, it measures 6,720 yards and is rated 72.5 at 130 slope. In the area, the course most comparable IMO is Cypresswood Tradition at 6,638 yards, 72.0 at 135. Thus, if you shoot 80, the Wilderness rates a hair tougher (handicap index of 6.5 vs. 6.7), which sounds about right.

Both are great public options.

Interesting, I keep meaning to head down there, but last week we ended up at Wildcat Lakes rather than drive down there. Wish we had headed down.

Will certainly play Wilderness in July as Cypresswood is still my Houston favourite.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Tour 18...they are finally spending money on the course. The bunkers are all getting redone. Some are finished and in great shape. Others are in the process of being redone. Seeing how they are rebuilding them, they should be really good when finished. They are taking their time to put down the proper base and stuff for drainage. They have also done a lot of resodding in areas that needed it. They have a few tee boxes that need work but overall the course is coming along great now that they are spending money on it.

My sincere apologies. I guess I did not get notification of this post way back last year. Littlejohn is just a small league but it is fun. I always enjoy playing in it. As far as for competition goes, Houston Senior Travelers is great. Generally about as many people just in my flight alone as we have playing in the 2 flights in Littlejohn. Because we play on Thursdays, HST is cheaper to play in. Weekend greenfees are included in the cost to play in LJGL where with HST you pay the course your green fee separately. Probably can win more money in LJGL overall if you play well. I like both of them, that is why I play in both.

Yes, I have played HAGA before. It was years ago. I played in it for probably 2 years and then moved to California for work. Never played in it again once I came back.

Again, my apologies for missing this post. Not intentional.

If you play Wilderness more than once a month and don't mind starting after 10:00 AM on weekends, their Players Pass is a good deal. Normal weekend round is $75 including range balls.

Players pass works out to $60 a month if you factor in the initiation, and you pay $17 per round. Includes range balls. So if you play twice a month, you spend $94 instead of $150 or a 37% discount. If you play 1.5 times per month, you save 24%.

I wanted to leave some comments about courses I have played recently (as in May and June). Hard to comment on bunkers when the rakes are gone and you are having to smooth with your foot or play out of other peoples footprints

Gleannloch Pines....their fairways were in excellent shape. Most tee boxes were also in good shape. Sure, they have a couple that never have grass on them but overall the courses was in excellent shape.

Tour 18...as I commented recently...the work they are doing is really showing. Hopefully soon it will be back to what it was way back when. Greens were a little hard but putted smooth and quick.

Eagle Pointe...I cannot remember the last time I played a course that has spent so much effort on their tee boxes. Most of them looked smooth and perfect....almost had a carpet look. Most of the fairways were in really good shape and greens were not necessarily up to their normal standards but they were still nice.

Cypresswood - both Cypress and Tradition...really nice shape. Fairways were very good. Greens, not perfect but good overall.

Windrose...mostly in good shape. Fairways were decent, not lush, but decent. Greens were a tad slow but grass coverage was good. Most tee boxes in good shape.

Sienna Plantation...Greens were sketchy at best. They had been punched at some point in time. Not necessarily a sand problem, just like putting on a waffle iron. Fairways pretty good. Tee boxes were hit or miss condition.

High Meadow Ranch...just about perfect all around. Greens were very quick.

The Wilderness...just about perfect also. Greens were spooky quick and with all their undulations...well it was exciting.

Westfork...fairways are ok. Tee boxes hit or miss on condition. Greens were better than the last time there...grass is starting to fill in where bare spots were before which is good but they were bumpy.

Southwyck...some fairways fairly lush while others were rock hard. Greens were not the best but they were ok. The tee boxes which are usually bad, still are. The others, ok.

Jersey Meadow...fairways had lots of weeds and were very compacted/hard. Greens hard as a rock, nothing held...don't care how high your brought it in.

River Plantation...9 holes closed so only 18 holes remain. For me, they could close it all and I would not miss it. Fairways either rock hard or standing water from sprinklers. Lots of weeds too. Greens had fair amount of bare spots and they were slow. Tee boxes were not the best all over the course.

Panorama...they have done a lot of work on this course and it is coming around nicely. Because of all the trees, lots of bare ground/roots all over the course. Fairways pretty hard and thin. Greens were in excellent shape, held shots well and were treacherously fast. Being above the hole was no fun at all.

Thanks Rick! May and June? Dang, you've been busy!

I vowed never to go back to Tour 18 (poor condition, 5+ hour rounds), but you have me reconsidering.

High Meadow Ranch and Eagle Pointe are on my short list of courses I want to try soon, along with GCOH Tournament, Walden Conroe, Woodforest and Hyatt Lost Pines. Never played any of them.

Played the new Memorial Park yesterday and had a blast. Great shape, love the changes. Greens will soften in time. 4.5 hours wasn't too bad.

My current rotation now includes Gus Wortham, Wilderness, Cyp Tradition and Memorial Park. And Blackhorse if I think about it.

How would you rate Wildcat Lakes? Never played it. Played Highlands and was not particularly impressed, although as a links style course I guess it's better than Southwyck.

There are only a handful of "good" public courses inside the beltway or just outside it. Memorial Park and Gus Wortham are outstanding IMO. Does Lakes hold its own with those 2? Still need to play GCOH.

Hermann, Sharpstown, Brock Park, Jersey Meadow, Pasadena Municpal are not in the same league as Memorial and Gus. Don't know about Pearland GC, Clear Creek GC or Battleground, but I doubt it.

Whilst we were playing Golf Club of Houston on Sunday we were chatting about Wildcat Lakes; greens are always good, has some of the worst Par 5s I have ever seen on a course. Certainly fun to play but I would not like to be a member and play there day in, day out. For me it's a play every couple of months or so. One of our three ball preferred Highlands course but to me that was very average but I have not played it for 3 years so it might be better than I remember.

I would much rather play memorial now over Wildcat either course.

Golf Club of Houston is a nice course, long and generous off the tee, does lack some personality. Greens were slow but the weather was terrible last week so will let them off!

My top 5 to play in Houston right now -

Cypresswood Tradition

Memorial

Golf Club of Houston

Blackhorse North and South

Played Cypresswood Cypress on Friday, very weird round, greens were super slow so I struggled putting but still went round in level par; no idea how but its so short and decently wide open. I would however much rather pay slightly extra to play Tradition.

Also in the last couple weeks played two courses -

Augusta Pines - quite an easy course in good condition and would certainly do the trek again.

Kingwood Country Club islands course - hard course with the doglegs; I really struggled there as was having a day with the chunks; but would certainly go back there.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400