REVIEWS: Lamkin SONAR Grips! Read what GolfWRX members say here!

Several GolfWRX Members are participating in an Official GolfWRX Member Testing thread for the new Lamkin SONAR Grips. Each received a set of these grips so they can create an honest review to share with fellow GolfWRX members.

The members are...

woods991

ballen17

johnny_golfball

Jut

Demo1

crazy8golfer

malelee21

Let's keep the thread clear until the reviews start being posted.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, I'd like to thank GolfWRX and Lamkin for giving us the chance to review the new Lamkin SONAR grips. I typically play 'tacky' style grips, so the SONAR seems like it'd be a natural fit for my game and my liking.

Impressions today at lunch right out of the box did not disappoint. The best way for me to describe the feel is that a softer, tacky grip and a players-textured grip had some offspring and named it SONAR. My biggest (really only) complaint with the grips I typically play is that they lack enough surface pattern for me (think GP Tour Wrap 2G or Pure Wrap) and other grips I've tried (GP NDMC, UTx) are too rough or just don't last long enough. The rubber blend Lamkin has used on these along with the surface texture feels just right (sort of a medium-feeling - not too hard, not too soft, great tacky feel). Goldilocks would approve. Time will tell how these hold up, but they definitely pass the "feel" test, especially for someone that likes a tackier, softer grip, but would still like some surface texture.

Other than "feel" out of the box, the other obvious consideration (without actually installing these bad boys and giving them a go) is visual appearance. I'll admit, seeing these online I thought they looked a little 'busy' and sort of 'GP CP2 Wrap copycat'-like. In person, they're either much better or I'm just so impressed with the feel that my mind is giving them a free pass. The patterns make sense with regards to hand placement / alignment and comfort. The reduced taper is a nice feature and doesn't seem as extreme as other grips I've tried.

I'll be posting much more once I get these installed on some clubs and get some swings in, but I really wanted to take a quick sec to express my thanks and give some initial first impressions and pictures.

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 15*

Callaway Apex UW 19*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 

Thank you to Lamkin and golfwrx for giving me the opportunity to review Sonar grips.

I've taken some close up pictures of Sonar grip next to GP CP2 grip which I currently play on Ping i25. I plan to install Sonar grips on Ping G irons I just purchased this weekend.

My first impression of Sonar grip are superb quality and incredible amount of patterns each grip has, which I believe creates significantly more contact surface area than CP2. I mean it's just incredible just how many patterns are in such dense area without any deformation or imperfection. Alignment mark also is a nice feature, which I like. Compared to CP2, Sonar grips are about 0.5" longer and weighs about 5g more (51 vs. 56g). I would say about the same with regard to comfort, but won't really know until I get to try them out.

One minor issue I noticed with Sonar grip is that there is no alignment mark on opposite side of logo (as seen in the last picture) -- some players including myself like to install logo facing down. GP CP2 grip has alignment mark on both sides in comparison.

You can clearly see in the pictures I've taken with Nikon SLDR camera. Will follow up with the actual review when I get a chance to play. Thank you once again to Lamkin and golfwrx.

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

I would also like to thank Lamkin and golfwrx for giving me the opportunity to review Sonar grips.As you can see by the pictures, I have already installed the grips on my irons and my hybrid. Just finished these up tonight and will complete the Driver and 3 wood tomorrow. Man, these grips feel great! I don't even think I will be using a glove. I have not played a round yet, but they feel fairly soft and tacky. They don't feel like a lot of grips that would slip in your hand or eat your glove up. I am really looking forward to getting them out this weekend for a couple of rounds. I will report back after I play the clubs.

Does the Sonar taper less than a normal grip?

Yes, they are reduced-taper. Now that I have one on a club, they actually seem to have less taper than some of the other reduced-taper shaped grips that I've tried.

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Apex UW 19*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 

I got the chance to throw one of these on an Apex Hybrid last night (haven't hit it yet). Some grips are a pain for me to install, but the Sonar slid on with zero issues. I typically play standard size (and occasionally branch out to a mid-size) and these are the midsize plus. Definitely a 'fatter' grip than I'm used to playing. If I had my druthers, I'd definitely lean to the standard plus size.

As many of us have mentioned, the feel is perfect (tack, soft, and surface texture). I don't have a swing weight scale, but the midsize plus definitely makes the Apex Hybrid seem a lot lighter when I was holding it and swinging it in the backyard. More to follow....

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Apex UW 19*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 

Thank you to GolfWRX and Lamkin for the chance to review the new Sonar grips. I played a round with them yesterday. In a cool and windy round, these grips performed great. They offer a very good combination of soft feel and maximum tackiness. I don’t wear a glove when I play, so tackiness is very important. The design on the grips also provides extra traction, which is also very helpful. Another thing that I really like about these grips is the size. For me they are the perfect balance between standard and midsize, without having to add any extra wraps of tape.

Thanks again to WRX and Lamkin. I will update more after a couple long range sessions and rounds in wet weather.

As the previous posters/testers have said, thanks to Lamkin and Golf WRX for allowing me to test the new Vapor grips. Taking them out of their packaging, I was immediately impressed by the tacky feel. The graphics seemed a little "busy" in comparison to the GP CP2 Wrap grips I have been using. I installed the grips using air and they went on very smoothly. Although I'm usually a logo down guy, I installed these logo up. The installed feel was/is quite good.

I've played one round with the grips and really like them. Subjectively, they feel slightly smaller than the CP2 Wraps, but they measure virtually the same. I attribute that to the lack of the stiffer butt section of the CP2. The graphics have grown on me to the point that I like them. The Vapors are quite comfortable in use. I'm happy with these grips and don't envision removing them anytime soon unless they show unusual wear characteristics.

• 2 weeks later...

I received G400 iron bought on BST. Just started regripping them tonight for my tee time on Memorial day. Love how comfortable and tacky they feel - looks awesome too.

7_F22856_C_0_F89_4_F25_8_A26_A43_BFB989707.jpg

Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

A big thanks to Golf Wrx and Lamkin for the opportunity to try these grips out.

When I first put them on I was really impressed on the overall feel. The midsize did not feel too big or too small. I also really liked how they felt tacky because being in South Texas my hands tend to sweat a lot. I was able to play a round with them today and was really impressed. The tackiness helped with the grip and they felt soft when I hit a shot. Some have said they graphics may be a little too much but I think they look great. I would definitely recommended these grips to others.

Finally played two rounds with Sonar grips installed on 4-UW G400 irons. G400 originally came with GP tour valvet grips, but I wanted to replace them with something more comfortable as I have been having chronic pain in my right pinky. After playing two rounds I am convinced that I am done searching for my next set of grips. Sonar grips felt extremely comfortable and tacky. My right pinky also did not feel painful anymore after playing a round.

Once again thank you to Lamkin and Golfwrx for the opportunity. I will post more pictures tomorrow.

Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5 

Let me start off by once again thanking Golfwrx and Lamkin for this great giveaway. I really appreciate the opportunity to be on the frontline of product development. Secondly, I apologize for the delay- my “club guy” was extremely busy...well, let me be honest, he totally dragged his feet on this one!!:)

I had the clubs regripped this past week and was able to play 2 rounds with the Lamkin Sonar grips. One day, the weather was incredibly nice, the other, overcast and chilly. Because I live in the Midwest, we’ve been hit with some rainy weather this season. For comparisons sake, I also intentionally chose to not grip one of my wedges (56 degree). With this wedge, I kept my Golf pride tour wrap on the club.

Normally, I’m pretty indifferent when it comes to grips. I really liked the Golf Pride tour wraps, but I’m really enjoying the feel of the Sonars. The feel is very comfortable and the tackiness is just the right amount. If I didn’t wear a glove, I would feel completely comfortable swinging with just the Lamkin Sonar grips. However, since I use a golf glove, these feel really nice in my hands and during my swing. I also like the design that assists with my alignment. Prior to these grips, I never realized that at my address, I was setting up with a closed face. If anything, these grips have helped with my alignment and setting up with a square club face.

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the Sonar grips. I found myself disappointed when I had to swing with my 56 degree wedge (because it doesn’t have the Lamkin grip :)) I would encourage everyone to give these grips a try!!

Thanks again to Lamkin an Golfwrx!! Solid product!!

Same for me when I took my driver to Golf Galaxy. They loved the look, feel and were hoping that they’d start carrying the grips in their stores

I took my irons in today to get the lie checked and adjusted. The guys at Dick's just ranted about my Lamkin Sonar grips, he said we don't stock these,but I will be ordering some of those.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to follow up again on the grips. So far, I’m really enjoying the feel and tackiness, but this past weekend I had to play 2 scrambles in some rainy conditions. I tried my best to keep my grips dry, but in a severe downpour, that’s not always the case. Anyways, the grips held up really well in the rain and I was very impressed! I needed to quickly dry them with a towel and I was able to consistently maintain a comfortable and dry grip on my swing. My playing partners were complaining about their clubs continuously slipping out of their hands. Kudos to Lamkin once again

Any comparisons between the Sonar and the TS1?

Also, any comments on how durable they are?

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

• 1 month later...

Anyone had any wear and tear on these? I've had Lamkin grips before that were trashed within a couple months. Any feedback on a little bit more long term now?

Any comparisons between the Sonar and the TS1?

Also, any comments on how durable they are?

Any updates on the Sonar grip? How durable? Is it it a keeper? Still tacky after some months? How does it work in rain and wet weather? Would appreciate some more feedback from the testers or any one else that have tried this grip for a while.

No one?

• 5 months later...

anymore on rain and heat with these also durability

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

• 7 months later...

Has anyone tried the wrap version. I’m coming from CP2 wraps and was looking for something better in hot, humid weather and/or rain. They appear to be tackier, but have just installed in my edges. Without testing I have concerns the micro pattern might chew my hands up when I practice, where the CP2 are nice and soft. Anyone have this problem?

• 1 month later...

> @johnny_golfball said:

> Let me start off by once again thanking Golfwrx and Lamkin for this great giveaway. I really appreciate the opportunity to be on the frontline of product development. Secondly, I apologize for the delay- my “club guy” was extremely busy...well, let me be honest, he totally dragged his feet on this one!!(Image)

> /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

>

>

>

> I had the clubs regripped this past week and was able to play 2 rounds with the Lamkin Sonar grips. One day, the weather was incredibly nice, the other, overcast and chilly. Because I live in the Midwest, we’ve been hit with some rainy weather this season. For comparisons sake, I also intentionally chose to not grip one of my wedges (56 degree). With this wedge, I kept my Golf pride tour wrap on the club.

>

>

>

> Normally, I’m pretty indifferent when it comes to grips. I really liked the Golf Pride tour wraps, but I’m really enjoying the feel of the Sonars. The feel is very comfortable and the tackiness is just the right amount. If I didn’t wear a glove, I would feel completely comfortable swinging with just the Lamkin Sonar grips. However, since I use a golf glove, these feel really nice in my hands and during my swing. I also like the design that assists with my alignment. Prior to these grips, I never realized that at my address, I was setting up with a closed face. If anything, these grips have helped with my alignment and setting up with a square club face.

>

>

>

> Overall, I’m extremely pleased with the Sonar grips. I found myself disappointed when I had to swing with my 56 degree wedge (because it doesn’t have the Lamkin grip /smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />) I would encourage everyone to give these grips a try!!

>

>

>

> Thanks again to Lamkin an Golfwrx!! Solid product!!

How are they holding up?? Any further comments on durability etc?