Golfnow.com vs Calling the course

I use GN fairly frequently. The course I use it at most won’t match their price for a hot deal.

I’m convalescing at this time and played my first round since my accident on Tuesday. I booked the noon hot deal tee time for what amounted to about 14.00 after the fees. The new guy at the counter read me the riot act when I showed up with my dad (a member) at 11:20.

My dad asked to see the tee sheet and it was blank from 11-12. The course absolutely has the right to hold you strictly to that tee time, I’m not saying they don’t. Luckily the manager walked in and told the new guy to back off and just let us go. He knows me and my dad and my kids well and knows that we are good to great Customers there. They get first crack at all of our golf related expenditures (mainly dad), but I’ll buy a sleeve or a dozen balls there most trips if they’re reasonable about it. I’d buy more clubs there (I have bought some) but I can usually find them at least 25%. cheaper online. He also knew I’d been in an accident 4 weeks prior that had me just happy to be outside, and on the right side of the lawn. I played the front tees since my swing can best be described as “old guy” right now. Best drives went 210 or so with carry only being 150ish.

Once I nailed down the distances I was hitting clubs I shot a back nine (again from the front tees) that was within 4-5 shots of my norm. Not bad for a guy with 8 broken bones and 27 newly removed staples. I took zero painkillers for the round as i wanted my body to tell me to quit if needed.

I got sidetracked. I’d never spend the 199 for full GN membership. I’ll gladly pay the 4ish dollar fee for each hot deal booking. I always give the course a

Chance to match it. If they don’t, oh well. They’re the ones that made the deal with the devil, not me. I’m generally paying for a 3soms, sometimes a 4some with the kids. 15.00x4 is a lot cheaper than 40.00x4.

> @ryu123 said:

> in the Pacific Northwest the Golfnow offerings are third tier courses, which I don't play anyway, at any price.

>

> I have used GNow on a few Monterey CA trips.

I've run into similar issues with golfnow. They don't have access to many courses that I want to play or else they have off-peak tee times that don't interest me.

Golfnow isn't what it used to be but they do still have good deals occasionally. Most of the time I go thru the course these days unless its a hot deal or something. It is annoying how the guy behind the desk will treat you like a bum when he sees you got a deal which I don't get. It isn't taking money out of his pocket and if the course doesn't like it they shouldn't offer it.

example:

A really nice course was new to golfnow and had a great hot deal. Show up to course tell them my tee time and ask if we have time to hit the range before our time. "Oh of course. Thanks so much for coming we really appreciate you and want to make your experience as wonderful as possible. Here's a few range tokens on the house. Enjoy!"...........................Looks up tee time and gets very confused............. "Sir it says you already paid for your tee time and it is way too cheap. I am going to need those tokens back and you have 5 minutes to tee off." lol wtf

> @trilinkrealty said:

> Golfnow isn't what it used to be but they do still have good deals occasionally. Most of the time I go thru the course these days unless its a hot deal or something. It is annoying how the guy behind the desk will treat you like a bum when he sees you got a deal which I don't get. It isn't taking money out of his pocket and if the course doesn't like it they shouldn't offer it.

> example:

> A really nice course was new to golfnow and had a great hot deal. Show up to course tell them my tee time and ask if we have time to hit the range before our time. "Oh of course. Thanks so much for coming we really appreciate you and want to make your experience as wonderful as possible. Here's a few range tokens on the house. Enjoy!"...........................Looks up tee time and gets very confused............. **"Sir it says you already paid for your tee time and it is way too cheap. I am going to need those tokens back and you have 5 minutes to tee off**." lol wtf

>

No way?!?!? hahah

> @596 said:

> I wont use golfnow. It's a third party company that stuck themselves in between the golf course and the customer. The course will lose money on most of the bookings. I know, I had to deal with many of these third party companies that took a chunk of my business. Id much rather call a business or book straight from their web site. Yes, it may be more expensive, but nothing I can't afford. Id rather fully support the business I am using and not a third party.

Agreed. I'd rather see the course get 100% of the money than having to share it with a middle man. Many of them are struggling enough.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

> @Roody said:

> > @596 said:

> > I wont use golfnow. It's a third party company that stuck themselves in between the golf course and the customer. The course will lose money on most of the bookings. I know, I had to deal with many of these third party companies that took a chunk of my business. Id much rather call a business or book straight from their web site. Yes, it may be more expensive, but nothing I can't afford. Id rather fully support the business I am using and not a third party.

>

> Agreed. I'd rather see the course get 100% of the money than having to share it with a middle man. Many of them are struggling enough.

Same here. I used to be all about finding the cheapest tee time deal, using hot deal times, promo codes, etc. but I've changed somewhat. I am not a wealthy or high income earning man, but paying an extra $10-$20 or whatever on a greens fee really makes no difference in my life. I would rather support a mom-and-pop or municipal course by paying the full fee directly to the course, instead of saving a few bucks and having the course get none of it. That being said, if it's a course owned by some big golf company (Arcis, American Golf, etc.) I'd rather go the cheap hotdeal route and not contribute to their profit motive that usually involves player-unfriendly management practices (7 minute tee time intervals, lack of pace enforcement, scruffy conditions, etc.)

That all being said, nobody forces these courses to use GN, but I've heard a couple of course managers say they feel like they need to be on it to get market exposure, especially in the younger generations. I would suspect that if the courses I am familiar with actually ran the numbers, they would find that very few of their tee times that aren't GN hot deals are actually booked via GN's site instead of the course's site (whose tee sheet is run by GN). They could easily change to an online tee sheet service that charges a fee for the software instead of barter times.

> @Bonneville85308 said:

> That all being said, nobody forces these courses to use GN, **but I've heard a couple of course managers say they feel like they need to be on it to get market exposure, especially in the younger generations.**

>

That's my guess as well. They're feeling pressured to be on it in order to compete with all the other courses that are on it. Golf Now is sort of like the Steam platform for video games. Steam doesn't actually develop any video games, they just provide a one-stop shop for users to be able to buy and download the games. But what's been happening is a few of the game makers got tired of Steam skimming sometimes 30% of the cost of each game just for the privilege. So some like Bethesda have started their own streaming platform for their games. Other developers like Ubisoft and Epic Games have also followed suit.

Golf courses will have to do the same to break away from the Golf Now teat. Some already have by creating or paying a private vendor to host their own booking site. A lot of people would prefer to just bring up an app on their phone or a website to make a tee time, and not have to deal with calling the pro shop for it. I can understand that.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I've encountered a number of Golf Course websites and Tee Time websites offering discounted green fees and membership possibilities. I play around 9 AM 2-4 times a week and generally paying for 2 and setting up tee times for 4 so don't mind the $3-$4 scheduling fee and pay green fees at the course. The convenience is nice. What I don't like though is even though discounted tee times are nice, too often they have play limitations and the amount isn't anything special after factoring in any membership fees.

Also, websites do not inform anyone of course conditions like punching, cart path only or frost delays. Least calling for a tee time I can ask about course conditions and get to know people in the pro shop.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I have used GN for several years here in the SF Bay Area. In previous years I would sometimes get a lower rate than what the course offered, but I’m not sure that happens now. I play most often on Sundays, so that might be a factor. I play a lot as a single now, and many courses won’t let you book singles on GN, but at least it shows me how busy they might be.

On one occasion, I booked a tee time at Corica South on GN at a higher rate, because they didn’t show the NCGA discount. I have never had a problem before getting discounts at various courses (Bay area resident, senior discount, etc) when I booked the non-discounted rate on GN. But the assistant manager in the pro shop would not give me the NCGA discount until I complained at length, and he reluctantly relented “this time”. So for this course, I’ll no longer use GN.

In all my times checking GN, which have been many, I have never seen a Hot Deal available for the courses I play. They have always been sold out.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver & 3 Wood with Mitsubishi shafts

Callaway 3 Hybrid & 5 Hybrid

Epon AF 305 5 iron - Lob Wedge with Mitsubishi Shafts

Odyssey Tank Versa #7 Putter

Bridgestone Tour B RXS ball

> @"Hack Daddy" said:

> If GN is so morally abhorrent, then golf courses should just opt out of using it. Very simple; it's a partnership they agree to.

>

> GN is at almost every course in my area. I've used hot deals every single weekend for the last few years. Literally. It's great. And I get to use the promo codes every so often, if I have a day off during M-Th.

>

> I just don't get the hate for GN. It's not a law or being forced upon the courses. Again, if it's so "bad," dont use the service.

>

> I remember in my early GN days, I would call the course(s), tell them what golf now price is, and if they would match. 100% of the time, this was the response -

>

> "Then book it through GN."

I agree, if courses don't like it, don't be a part of it. It's one of the reasons I don't really like using Hot Deals, you can get treated as a second class citizen at some courses. Just last week a guy says " oh, you're one of those guys " when I told him I booked a hot deal.

I've noticed some courses use GN's platform as they're own online booking system on their website but it doesn't say GN. It even has the hot deals but you don't get the GN points for booking. Maybe that makes it worthwhile for them to join GN.

I do use GN for picking a course to play even when not using a hot deal because so many local courses are listed it makes it easier to choose , so maybe that adds value also

I’ve used GN often, but only for hot deals or if the course doesn’t have online booking. In my experience, courses charge the same as price as GN Most of the time except the Hot Deals. Non Hot deals are cheaper because you don’t pay the booking fee. Some courses do offer E-deals and they can be as cheap as the hot deals, sometimes better. One time, I booked online at a course website and the greens fee was $5. Not kidding, $5. I made sure I printed it out and brought it to course with me because all other tee times were $50. I get there and the guy tries to charge me $50. I showed him the printout and he says, oh yeah, sometimes I make a typo when I enter in the cost. I still only paid $5.

I try to book on the course websites mostly.

I used to use LastMinuteGolfer.com because they always had great deals within 2 days of the tee time, but GN bought the website, and those great deals no longer exist.