How to know when it's time to focus on something else (asking for a friend)

CTgolf

> @CTgolf said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > Without getting too specific, the friend's child is in high school and it seems that unless scores drop significantly is not going to get recruited to play golf at any of the ideal target schools

> > >

> > > The general consensus seems to be that, if a student is not recruited to play for college then there is no benefit to admissions other than having another nice extra-curricular on the application

> > >

> > > So the (obviously subjective) question the friend asked me was, at what point do you know it's not realistically going to happen for your kid?

> > >

> > > To provide some context, the child loves golf and will continue to play casually and competitively (high school team), but will redirect hours and hours of practice and competition (especially tournaments requiring travel) required to have a shot at being recruited to play in college; those hours saved would be redirected towards other activities/interests

> > >

> >

> > And probably the best thing to do is to look at JGS rankings to make a determination.

>

> JGS ranking 500-600

>

> Getting recruited for target schools, not just any college, are the goal, and so it looks like those rankings need to be closer to top 200-300

>

> While that amount of improvement is *possible*, the problem is it would take a lot more time and effort than they have already put forth - and for a high school student that is a pretty big ask, with possibly very uncertain outcome

Here is the question they have to ask. Is he targeting those schools for golf or for academics? If he is targeting them for academics and wants to play golf, would he be able to walk on, maybe get books paid for, or play on a club team. If they are targeting them for golf, then it just maybe an unrealistic fit. Find the academic fit and the golf fit together. Trust me when I say this, don't go to a school just because it is the golf program you have dreamed of playing for. They need to do their homework and investigate that academics, team chemistry, how the coaches act when not being recruited. I can tell you that if my son's high school coach had a parent meeting this year, he probably wouldn't have played high school golf and his team is recognized highly in the state. Just because the program is good, doesn't mean that there is dysfunction inside of the program It can be toxic and demoralizing.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @CTgolf said:

> > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > Without getting too specific, the friend's child is in high school and it seems that unless scores drop significantly is not going to get recruited to play golf at any of the ideal target schools

> > >

> > > The general consensus seems to be that, if a student is not recruited to play for college then there is no benefit to admissions other than having another nice extra-curricular on the application

> > >

> > > So the (obviously subjective) question the friend asked me was, at what point do you know it's not realistically going to happen for your kid?

> > >

> > > To provide some context, the child loves golf and will continue to play casually and competitively (high school team), but will redirect hours and hours of practice and competition (especially tournaments requiring travel) required to have a shot at being recruited to play in college; those hours saved would be redirected towards other activities/interests

> > >

> >

> > And probably the best thing to do is to look at JGS rankings to make a determination.

>

> JGS ranking 500-600

>

> Getting recruited for target schools, not just any college, are the goal, and so it looks like those rankings need to be closer to top 200-300

>

> While that amount of improvement is *possible*, the problem is it would take a lot more time and effort than they have already put forth - and for a high school student that is a pretty big ask, with possibly very uncertain outcome

Here is the thing if there ranked between 500-600 there not what I call someone who doesn't have a chance to make it. Something would have be be very off for anyone to say they should not focus as much on golf. This is especially true if were talking about 15 or 16 year old.

You didn't mention if there a boy or girl.

A boy around 550 will shoot under par on occasion and probably close to scratch. Honestly a little more work on a game like that could be a huge difference.

A girl may not be the top golfer at 550 but they have the ability to shoot under par and probaly could land a pretty decent D1 scholarship.

Chances are a Freshman or Sophomore will see there rankings increase before they graduate.

> @tiger1873 said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > Without getting too specific, the friend's child is in high school and it seems that unless scores drop significantly is not going to get recruited to play golf at any of the ideal target schools

> > > >

> > > > The general consensus seems to be that, if a student is not recruited to play for college then there is no benefit to admissions other than having another nice extra-curricular on the application

> > > >

> > > > So the (obviously subjective) question the friend asked me was, at what point do you know it's not realistically going to happen for your kid?

> > > >

> > > > To provide some context, the child loves golf and will continue to play casually and competitively (high school team), but will redirect hours and hours of practice and competition (especially tournaments requiring travel) required to have a shot at being recruited to play in college; those hours saved would be redirected towards other activities/interests

> > > >

> > >

> > > And probably the best thing to do is to look at JGS rankings to make a determination.

> >

> > JGS ranking 500-600

> >

> > Getting recruited for target schools, not just any college, are the goal, and so it looks like those rankings need to be closer to top 200-300

> >

> > While that amount of improvement is *possible*, the problem is it would take a lot more time and effort than they have already put forth - and for a high school student that is a pretty big ask, with possibly very uncertain outcome

>

> Here is the thing if there ranked between 500-600 there not what I call someone who doesn't have a chance to make it. Something would have be be very off for anyone to say they should not focus as much on golf. This is especially true if were talking about 15 or 16 year old.

>

> You didn't mention if there a boy or girl.

>

> A boy around 550 will shoot under par on occasion and probably close to scratch. Honestly a little more work on a game like that could be a huge difference.

>

> A girl may not be the top golfer at 550 but they have the ability to shoot under par and probaly could land a pretty decent D1 scholarship.

>

> Chances are a Freshman or Sophomore will see there rankings increase before they graduate.

>

That depends. Is it 500 for National or 500 in the state?

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @tiger1873 said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > @heavy_hitter said:

> > > > > @CTgolf said:

> > > > > Without getting too specific, the friend's child is in high school and it seems that unless scores drop significantly is not going to get recruited to play golf at any of the ideal target schools

> > > > >

> > > > > The general consensus seems to be that, if a student is not recruited to play for college then there is no benefit to admissions other than having another nice extra-curricular on the application

> > > > >

> > > > > So the (obviously subjective) question the friend asked me was, at what point do you know it's not realistically going to happen for your kid?

> > > > >

> > > > > To provide some context, the child loves golf and will continue to play casually and competitively (high school team), but will redirect hours and hours of practice and competition (especially tournaments requiring travel) required to have a shot at being recruited to play in college; those hours saved would be redirected towards other activities/interests

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > And probably the best thing to do is to look at JGS rankings to make a determination.

> > >

> > > JGS ranking 500-600

> > >

> > > Getting recruited for target schools, not just any college, are the goal, and so it looks like those rankings need to be closer to top 200-300

> > >

> > > While that amount of improvement is *possible*, the problem is it would take a lot more time and effort than they have already put forth - and for a high school student that is a pretty big ask, with possibly very uncertain outcome

> >

> > Here is the thing if there ranked between 500-600 there not what I call someone who doesn't have a chance to make it. Something would have be be very off for anyone to say they should not focus as much on golf. This is especially true if were talking about 15 or 16 year old.

> >

> > You didn't mention if there a boy or girl.

> >

> > A boy around 550 will shoot under par on occasion and probably close to scratch. Honestly a little more work on a game like that could be a huge difference.

> >

> > A girl may not be the top golfer at 550 but they have the ability to shoot under par and probaly could land a pretty decent D1 scholarship.

> >

> > Chances are a Freshman or Sophomore will see there rankings increase before they graduate.

> >

>

> That depends. Is it 500 for National or 500 in the state?

Or 500 in graduating class?

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

no. 500-600 on JGS for class/year

to move up in ranking, would theoretically need to put in many more hours of practice than those ranked above

meanwhile, from a college admission perspective (they are targeting 10-12 different schools with a strong focus on academics), no distinction if you are ranked #300 or #5000 if you aren't recruited by the coach

thus begs the questions: how likely is rankings improvement, and is it worth the risk (vs focusing on other things of interest/value)?

> @CTgolf said:

> no. 500-600 on JGS for class/year

>

> to move up in ranking, would theoretically need to put in many more hours of practice than those ranked above

>

> meanwhile, from a college admission perspective (they are targeting 10-12 different schools with a strong focus on academics), no distinction if you are ranked #300 or #5000 if you aren't recruited by the coach

>

> thus begs the questions: how likely is rankings improvement, and is it worth the risk (vs focusing on other things of interest/value)?

>

>

What year is he?

> @CTgolf said:

>

> to move up in ranking, would theoretically need to put in many more hours of practice than those ranked above

>

> meanwhile, from a college admission perspective (they are targeting 10-12 different schools with a strong focus on academics), no distinction if you are ranked #300 or #5000 if you aren't recruited by the coach

>

> thus begs the questions: how likely is rankings improvement, and is it worth the risk (vs focusing on other things of interest/value)?

>

>

Has he contacted any of the coaches to see if there is potential interest?

> @CTgolf said:

>

>

>

>

>

OK that is different I was thinking 500 overall ranking. A junior should never set their target certain schools that is just asking for failure. They may have to reach out to a lot different schools they never thought off. Who knows if any of those schools are in the kids best interest they picked.

I am not sure the risk statement is all about? I mean if you like playing golf and socializing with people it not like they are not learning a life skill. Just play a few tournaments for fun and practice a few times a week for fresh air. You can play tournaments all your life and meet a lot great people and still be one the better golfers if you can actually break 90.

> @CTgolf said:

>

>

>

>

>

I would say if he is 500-600 in his graduating class and is a junior he will be looking at mid to low D2 schools at best.

> @Noles said:

> > @CTgolf said:

> > no. 500-600 on JGS for class/year

> >

> > to move up in ranking, would theoretically need to put in many more hours of practice than those ranked above

> >

> > meanwhile, from a college admission perspective (they are targeting 10-12 different schools with a strong focus on academics), no distinction if you are ranked #300 or #5000 if you aren't recruited by the coach

> >

> > thus begs the questions: how likely is rankings improvement, and is it worth the risk (vs focusing on other things of interest/value)?

> >

> >

>

> Has he contacted any of the coaches to see if there is potential interest?

I don't think is eligible to speak with coaches yet - have no idea if has attended camps, etc

Also, I don't know for sure, but I would guess some of the schools being targeted for admissions don't even have a varsity golf team

> @CTgolf said:

> > @Noles said:

> > > @CTgolf said:

> > > no. 500-600 on JGS for class/year

> > >

> > > to move up in ranking, would theoretically need to put in many more hours of practice than those ranked above

> > >

> > > meanwhile, from a college admission perspective (they are targeting 10-12 different schools with a strong focus on academics), no distinction if you are ranked #300 or #5000 if you aren't recruited by the coach

> > >

> > > thus begs the questions: how likely is rankings improvement, and is it worth the risk (vs focusing on other things of interest/value)?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Has he contacted any of the coaches to see if there is potential interest?

>

> I don't think is eligible to speak with coaches yet - have no idea if has attended camps, etc

>

> Also, I don't know for sure, but I would guess some of the schools being targeted for admissions don't even have a varsity golf team

You can speak to coaches once you are a junior. Are you saying he is a sophomore? If he was a sophomore I would still grind.

Two seniors on my son's HS team are each ranked in the 800's in their class on JGS. Each is playing D1 next year. One is getting some golf scholarship money in addition to other aid and the second is still deciding between 2 schools, one offering some scholarship money and the other is not. There are no absolutes when it comes to rankings and where you end up. They are both ending up in great situations that they are really excited about. What else would one want?

> @Noles said:

> Two seniors on my son's HS team are each ranked in the 800's in their class on JGS. Each is playing D1 next year. One is getting some golf scholarship money in addition to other aid and the second is still deciding between 2 schools, one offering some scholarship money and the other is not. There are no absolutes when it comes to rankings and where you end up. They are both ending up in great situations that they are really excited about. What else would one want?

In my friend's child's case, the problem lies in combining academic aspiration with athletic fit

Easy to find many solutions if there is flexibility on one or the other