2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ben Hogan Apex II

AceCatKY

Of the Hogans he has owned, the redlines (both models) and the PCs, he kept the Apex IIs. They were just too lovely to let go.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

• 4 weeks later...

First off great finds and my hat is off to you for offering them to your friend. That was quite the haul for your first classic purchase. Several things besides the irons are worth more than the $20 you spent.

Thanks. I am going to clean them up and take them to the range and see how they hit. Would like to start playing with them some and convince some friends to start doing "classic matches". Most of my friends think the old clubs are pointless but I hope to hit them well and maybe even play some friends with the vintage clubs vs. their normal sets. Should be fun anyhow and for $20 it won't break my law student budget.

Stand by- if you hit enough balls flush with those irons you may be dumping your bag out and dropping them in! I'm green with envy! My brother played those irons for years.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've received mine. Can really crank them in the long clubs farther than I expected. Unfortunately the lofts are all bent up in the scoring clubs and need to be taken in for an adjustment. So no biggy. Decided to throw a set of crosslines on them. Got some with the old script in red on black with red accent/alignments and caps. I'll toss some pictures up after I take them in. In the process of this... I've found out that my Clevelands are actually -1/2in... so now I'm in the process of extending with some aluminum extensions and re gripping those with the red/black crosslines too.

What an adventure. I'll get some pics up of both sets after.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

> super20dan said:

> the equaliser or pitching wedge is the star of the set. one could not ask for a better desighned club-even today. some day i would like to play a set of apex 2 with original apex shafts. my set was reshafted with true temper dynamic gold and a poor job at that. they just dont feel like my other hogan sets

super20dan - I'm restoring my dad's 1979 Apex II's, 2-9, and wondering if there's a similar shaft to the originals (stiff). I've been polishing the heads and they're actually in great shape but so many of the shafts are messed up. Also wouldn't mind putting on a retro ferrule for show.

An old thread, but a good read. :)

And for @chandlerdgregg .... Hoganistas can speak better to this subject, but I believe Apex shafts were, pre-late-90s, made by Brunswick. Which became Royal Precision, then Rifle, and eventually purchased by True Temper. The Precision shaft would be a good choice for them, possibly, except that they have long ago ceased production.

This is purely my speculation, but I would guess the KBS Tour shaft would be a decent replacement for the Apex shaft. It's typical of the Bralys' design choices, with a somewhat softer tip and stiffer butt section than what you'd find in Dynamic/Dynamic Gold shafts.

If you get along with Dynamic Gold, I wouldn't hesitate in putting them in a set of Apex irons. Some may consider this sacrilegious. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @chandlerdgregg said:

> > super20dan said:

> > the equaliser or pitching wedge is the star of the set. one could not ask for a better desighned club-even today. some day i would like to play a set of apex 2 with original apex shafts. my set was reshafted with true temper dynamic gold and a poor job at that. they just dont feel like my other hogan sets

>

> super20dan - I'm restoring my dad's 1979 Apex II's, 2-9, and wondering if there's a similar shaft to the originals (stiff). I've been polishing the heads and they're actually in great shape but so many of the shafts are messed up. Also wouldn't mind putting on a retro ferrule for show.

Check out https://bbandfco.com/ for ferrules B)

Congratulations on your new clubs. My first top of the line set of clubs was the 1974 Hogan Apex irons. I still have them - a 1-9 and PW set with 4 shafts. I recall they were 1/2 or 3/4 inches longer than standard length of the day. I ordered them with GolfPride Crown Cord grips.

I played the clubs to finish high school and beyond. My first tournament with the clubs they were so stiff I hit a cut shot for three days instead of my normal draw. At this point the grooves are nearly worn off several of the clubs. I estimated that I hit more than a million shots with that set of clubs.

> @NRJyzr said:

> An old thread, but a good read. :)

>

> And for @chandlerdgregg .... Hoganistas can speak better to this subject, but I believe Apex shafts were, pre-late-90s, made by Brunswick. Which became Royal Precision, then Rifle, and eventually purchased by True Temper. The Precision shaft would be a good choice for them, possibly, except that they have long ago ceased production.

>

> This is purely my speculation, but I would guess the KBS Tour shaft would be a decent replacement for the Apex shaft. It's typical of the Bralys' design choices, with a somewhat softer tip and stiffer butt section than what you'd find in Dynamic/Dynamic Gold shafts.

>

> If you get along with Dynamic Gold, I wouldn't hesitate in putting them in a set of Apex irons. Some may consider this sacrilegious. ;)

Hard to imagine Hogans (AMF) using shafts from their arch-rival Brunswick, but I guess thats more of a bowling thing.

• Like 1

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > An old thread, but a good read. :)

> >

> > And for @chandlerdgregg .... Hoganistas can speak better to this subject, but I believe Apex shafts were, pre-late-90s, made by Brunswick. Which became Royal Precision, then Rifle, and eventually purchased by True Temper. The Precision shaft would be a good choice for them, possibly, except that they have long ago ceased production.

> >

> > This is purely my speculation, but I would guess the KBS Tour shaft would be a decent replacement for the Apex shaft. It's typical of the Bralys' design choices, with a somewhat softer tip and stiffer butt section than what you'd find in Dynamic/Dynamic Gold shafts.

> >

> > If you get along with Dynamic Gold, I wouldn't hesitate in putting them in a set of Apex irons. Some may consider this sacrilegious. ;)

>

> Hard to imagine Hogans (AMF) using shafts from their arch-rival Brunswick, but I guess thats more of a bowling thing.

That's a good point. I may not have my timeline straight, as I think the Precision shaft was making itself known in the mid 80s; the Apex shaft existed long before that point.

My personal theory of the Apex shaft being similar to the Precision is largely borne of their bend points, which are similar. It's been a very long time since I've hit an Apex shaft, and even then it was the wrong flex for me. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 1 month later...

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> Hard to imagine Hogans (AMF) using shafts from their arch-rival Brunswick, but I guess thats more of a bowling thing.

I have no clue how old I'm bumping this, but I never really saw the two as rivals in bowling: An AMF assembly unit was like an American made automobile: quick to break, but easy to fix; by contrast, Brunswick was more like a Japanese car: simple to maintain, will last forever, but if something major goes wrong, call an expert.

Beyond that, I think AMF was a foundry company, while Brunswick's primary focus was the three Bs: billiards, bowling, and boats. It doesn't surprise me if AMF did use Brunswick shafts, since Brunswick had the marine materials. After all, many bowling installs would be some Frankenstein combination of Brunswick ball returns on the front end and AMF ball chutes on the back.

> @WoodHeads said:

> > @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > Hard to imagine Hogans (AMF) using shafts from their arch-rival Brunswick, but I guess thats more of a bowling thing.

>

> I have no clue how old I'm bumping this, but I never really saw the two as rivals in bowling: An AMF assembly unit was like an American made automobile: quick to break, but easy to fix; by contrast, Brunswick was more like a Japanese car: simple to maintain, will last forever, but if something major goes wrong, call an expert.

>

> Beyond that, I think AMF was a foundry company, while Brunswick's primary focus was the three Bs: billiards, bowling, and boats. It doesn't surprise me if AMF did use Brunswick shafts, since Brunswick had the marine materials. After all, many bowling installs would be some Frankenstein combination of Brunswick ball returns on the front end and AMF ball chutes on the back.

I know a couple bowling alleys where an Qubica AMF scoring setup is bossing A2's around, and another where Brunswick scoring system is in charge of an 82-70. I have found if I bowl enough, I can manage to drive either machine into fits. The A2 has a miserable tolerance for off-spot/out-of-range pins, the 82-70 seems to get pins lodged in the ball-return door. For whatever reason I find the 82-30 to be the best as far as scoring, at West Seattle Bowl anyway. But that is a topic for a different forum.

I really don't know about the shafts, in the end.

And you only bumped it about a month

• 5 months later...

Absolutely!!!! and that is straight from a confirmed Macgregor man and somewhat Hogan Man. I would pay that for the shafts alone!! I have a set of Tour Forged Murifields in the corner of the shop with S-400s just begging---- OOH did I really say that? But seriously if I found a set in that shape for that price I would more than likely play them

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some reasonably attractive golf clubs, I must say

• 5 months later...
54 minutes ago, Moeinorman said:

Just bought today a 3-Equalizer apex ii set, for about 36 dollars (in Argentina). Use ´em or sell ´em. What do you recommend? Also bought MacGregor Muirfield Jack Nicklaus and MacGregor Toruney MT LRV.

if their condition is good enough to play, and the shafts suit your swing, I say play them.  🙂