What is it like to play golf in college?

> @kekoa said:

> Being Asian myself, I see nothing racist about any of the statements by Tiger or HH. Most of what they are posting are opinion though, which is fine I guess. With that said, its really not fair to bash the Asian women for whatever reason just because they dominate the US tour. Whose fault is that? In terms of certain Asian women looking like boys- who the **** cares? They still look and act a lot more feminine than several of the overweight American women playing on the LPGA tour. Just sayin.

>

>

Sad thing is Kekoa, there is actually a couple of threads in the LPGA sections that speak on this very topic. No one in those thread were call racist for saying it. I think it is a cowardly thing to say. Very unintelligent when you don't know someone.

You are right, it is an opinion. I don't think anyone is bashing the Koreans. It is just saying why we don't watch it. There is a reason I don't watch the European Tour either. Boring because there aren't enough Americans playing. When I watch Golf I root for every American first. I openly root against anyone that isn't American. I am not going to watch the LPGA unless Americans are atop the leader board to root for.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

@tiger1873

"I don't know what world you and Blocton live in but you guys need to grow up. I have to wonder are you guys normal? Maybe your not american and from China or Korea? That would explain how you think anything you don't agree with is racism."

I live in a world where I do not judge athletes as negative based on their appearance not meeting some artificial expectation I personally have. I live in a world where I do not stereotype entire groups of golfers as "not exciting to watch". I live in a world where I judge each person based on their individual accomplishments and who they are and do not make wholesale statements about entire groups of people. I am an American and in America we are supposed to judge each person for who they are. That is American. I respect any of the LPGA golfers regardless of their appearance, ethnicity, or how they choose to play the game.

@heavy_hitter

I respect 99% of what you say on here but cannot get behind you on this. Stereotyping people by there ethnicity is racist and there is no way around it and Tiger has done that with this post. It is what it is. You can make your threats about punching people in the face and call me a bozo all you want but those are the facts. Nothing about what I said is being overly sensitive or incorrect for that matter.

• Like 1

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> @tiger1873

> "I don't know what world you and Blocton live in but you guys need to grow up. I have to wonder are you guys normal? Maybe your not american and from China or Korea? That would explain how you think anything you don't agree with is racism."

>

> I live in a world where I do not judge athletes as negative based on their appearance not meeting some artificial expectation I personally have. I live in a world where I do not stereotype entire groups of golfers as "not exciting to watch". I live in a world where I judge each person based on their individual accomplishments and who they are and do not make wholesale statements about entire groups of people. I am an American and in America we are supposed to judge each person for who they are. That is American. I respect any of the LPGA golfers regardless of their appearance, ethnicity, or how they choose to play the game.

>

> @heavy_hitter

> I respect 99% of what you say on here but cannot get behind you on this. Stereotyping people by there ethnicity is racist and there is no way around it and Tiger has done that with this post. It is what it is. You can make your threats about punching people in the face and call me a bozo all you want but those are the facts. Nothing about what I said is being overly sensitive or incorrect for that matter.

Seriously were you bullied as a kid or something??? We are talking about sports here correct???? Americans are a pretty vocal bunch of people ever watch a football game and see what people say the next morning?? How is this different

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> @tiger1873

> "I don't know what world you and Blocton live in but you guys need to grow up. I have to wonder are you guys normal? Maybe your not american and from China or Korea? That would explain how you think anything you don't agree with is racism."

>

> I live in a world where I do not judge athletes as negative based on their appearance not meeting some artificial expectation I personally have. I live in a world where I do not stereotype entire groups of golfers as "not exciting to watch". I live in a world where I judge each person based on their individual accomplishments and who they are and do not make wholesale statements about entire groups of people. I am an American and in America we are supposed to judge each person for who they are. That is American. I respect any of the LPGA golfers regardless of their appearance, ethnicity, or how they choose to play the game.

>

> @heavy_hitter

> I respect 99% of what you say on here but cannot get behind you on this. Stereotyping people by there ethnicity is racist and there is no way around it and Tiger has done that with this post. It is what it is. You can make your threats about punching people in the face and call me a bozo all you want but those are the facts. Nothing about what I said is being overly sensitive or incorrect for that matter.

It is wrong to call someone a racist unless you know them and are in front of their face. Sorry, but it is. No respect for you.

Could have Tiger been a little more cordial in what he is saying? Sure, but what he said wasn't racist. It just wasn't and you have Kekoa, who is Asian American, telling you it wasn't racist.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @kekoa said:

> > Being Asian myself, I see nothing racist about any of the statements by Tiger or HH. Most of what they are posting are opinion though, which is fine I guess. With that said, its really not fair to bash the Asian women for whatever reason just because they dominate the US tour. Whose fault is that? In terms of certain Asian women looking like boys- who the **** cares? They still look and act a lot more feminine than several of the overweight American women playing on the LPGA tour. Just sayin.

> >

> >

>

> Sad thing is Kekoa, there is actually a couple of threads in the LPGA sections that speak on this very topic. No one in those thread were call racist for saying it. I think it is a cowardly thing to say. Very unintelligent when you don't know someone.

>

> You are right, it is an opinion. I don't think anyone is bashing the Koreans. It is just saying why we don't watch it. There is a reason I don't watch the European Tour either. Boring because there aren't enough Americans playing. When I watch Golf I root for every American first. I openly root against anyone that isn't American. I am not going to watch the LPGA unless Americans are atop the leader board to root for.

That's fine. I'm the first to say that I don't want LPGA golf either, but for different reasons than those you stated. Let's be real, women's golf is quite boring regardless of whose playing or leading. If I want to watch someone hit it 250 and dead straight, I'd rather watch juniors play. What @tiger1873 has said thus far is pretty pathetic though.

I like this [TPI article](http://www.mytpi.com/articles/juniors/so_you_want_to_play_college_golf_what_to_expect_at_the_next_level "TPI article") on playing college golf. Pretty simple bullets to remember: Be Fast, Train Hard and Go Low.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @kekoa said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > I like this [TPI article](http://www.mytpi.com/articles/juniors/so_you_want_to_play_college_golf_what_to_expect_at_the_next_level "TPI article") on playing college golf. Pretty simple bullets to remember: Be Fast, Train Hard and Go Low.

>

> How dare you stay on topic. Shame on you.

LOL, sorry! I think they should roll back the ball, it goes too far!!

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

I am away for 24 hrs and this is what I miss.!!

Well for one, I actually enjoy watching women’s golf, and not because of how they look or what nationality.. but the LPGA tour shows me how simple golf can be.

FWIW.. I though some the comments on the forum were pretty offensive.. so let’s tone it back unless you want to shut down a thread.

• Like 1

I don't think this thread should get locked. I think it is less about racism and more about ignorance. Tiger's comments may be a generalization or stereotypical in nature, but having seen many of his posts, I just chalk it up to him being ignorant. The fact that he's got this "Asians will do anything to win" mentality (which, btw, if implying cheating is the complete opposite of what I've seen), tells me that either (a) he's witnessed a few cheaters and made a generalization, or (b) he is a hater and can't otherwise comprehend the success of asian golfers, whether in junior golf or at the professional level. His comment about Sung Hyun Park looking like a boy, is opinion. It's no different than saying Lexi Thompson looks like a man. No big deal there, it was just that the opinion happened to be coupled with other responses (that may have not had ill-intent to begin with; very difficult to decipher Tiger's posts from time to time because it is borderline illiterate with nothing to do with the obvious typos everyone makes from time-to-time -- hence my they can speak English better than you comment (with this being an obvious issue with these Korean LPGA stars)).

As for Heavy's comments, it's opinion. My takeaway is that he roots for and wants the success of American golfers. He finds a Korean-dominated LPGA boring. It's no different than a fan being glued to the TV when Tiger is playing well (or playing at all) and can't stand watching DeChambeau play, even if he was on a 59 watch. As for as that parent that wouldn't play in AJGA events bc too many players can't speak English - that parent falls in the (a) I'll say whatever I can to be liked by you, or (b) my child is not good enough anyway.

> @"Mr. Grumpy" said:

> Heavy and Tiger you both are way off base. It's very telling and actually quite sad.. Keep posting and digging your hole...

> @"Mr. Grumpy" said:

> Heavy and Tiger you both are way off base. It's very telling and actually quite sad.. Keep posting and digging your hole...

> @"Mr. Grumpy" said:

So your opinion is supposed to change my mind on my feelings of LPGA golf? There are threads in the LPGA section where this is discussed. I can tell you that probably the majority feel the same was as I, but won’t say it. Doesn’t matter to me because I don’t care what you think.

The LPGA definitely has a marketing problem when the best players come from foreign countries. People in America want to see people they can relate to and that is understandable. My daughter is 12 and can only name a few LPGA players and she is a good junior golfer. On the other hand, she can name a ton of PGA stars. All goes back to marketing. You can’t fault the Asian players for working hard and finding success. One thing we could do is to follow a similar process that they do in developing young golfers. They identify kids at an early age who show promise and put them in golf programs funded by their country. They get lessons and benefits by being in the national program. As far as I know, it’s funded by the government. Our issue in America is our top female athletes aren’t playing golf. Many play softball and could be incredible golfers if they would have grown up playing golf.

> @Golfingdawg19 said:

> The LPGA definitely has a marketing problem when the best players come from foreign countries. People in America want to see people they can relate to and that is understandable. My daughter is 12 and can only name a few LPGA players and she is a good junior golfer. On the other hand, she can name a ton of PGA stars. All goes back to marketing. You can’t fault the Asian players for working hard and finding success. One thing we could do is to follow a similar process that they do in developing young golfers. They identify kids at an early age who show promise and put them in golf programs funded by their country. They get lessons and benefits by being in the national program. As far as I know, it’s funded by the government. Our issue in America is our top female athletes aren’t playing golf. Many play softball and could be incredible golfers if they would have grown up playing golf.

Agree. I'm going to compare that problem with the deficit of good American (mens) soccer players. There's no money in American leagues, no superstars to emulate. The best American male athletes just play other sports and make 10-20 times more.

So the simple answer is to put more money in the LPGA, but I'm not really sure what that changes. There's not much money in any women's sports except maybe tennis. It doesn't seem that women choose their preferred sport based on future income potential.

> @BertGA said:

> > @Golfingdawg19 said:

> > The LPGA definitely has a marketing problem when the best players come from foreign countries. People in America want to see people they can relate to and that is understandable. My daughter is 12 and can only name a few LPGA players and she is a good junior golfer. On the other hand, she can name a ton of PGA stars. All goes back to marketing. You can’t fault the Asian players for working hard and finding success. One thing we could do is to follow a similar process that they do in developing young golfers. They identify kids at an early age who show promise and put them in golf programs funded by their country. They get lessons and benefits by being in the national program. As far as I know, it’s funded by the government. Our issue in America is our top female athletes aren’t playing golf. Many play softball and could be incredible golfers if they would have grown up playing golf.

>

> Agree. I'm going to compare that problem with the deficit of good American (mens) soccer players. There's no money in American leagues, no superstars to emulate. The best American male athletes just play other sports and make 10-20 times more.

>

> So the simple answer is to put more money in the LPGA, but I'm not really sure what that changes. There's not much money in any women's sports except maybe tennis. It doesn't seem that women choose their preferred sport based on future income potential.

This is why you are better off focusing on the academics instead of throwing all your eggs into the golf basket. Its great to be able to play golf at a high level but for girls the money just isnt there. Better to have a high paying job and play golf on the side for fun. I dont see things changing in women's athletics any time soon because people as a whole dont watch women's sports. They can call for equal pay on the LPGA tour but its hard to do that when the revenue isnt there to match the men's tour.

• 3 weeks later...