Anyone moving on from the Ping i210s?

leftycabe

It’s basically the end of the year for us in Iowa aside from a few good days here and there that I likely won’t be able to take advantage of. As happens every year, I get the itch to move on to another set of irons. Truth be told, I’ve really enjoyed my i210’s but the ho in me always enjoys playing something new. I’m just curious to see if others have moved on to any of the latest offerings and if so,

1.) What did you move to?

2.) Why?

2.) Any regrets?

I’m trying to talk myself into playing the same set of irons for two consecutive years for the first time in at least 5 years.

Thanks!

I picked up a set of i210s this spring and LOVE them. Honestly, it's the first time I've bought a "brand new" set in my life; usually, I'm an "Electronic-bay" junkie. Beside the fact my wife would divorce me if I decided to get rid of the set I said I would keep for at least 5 years (give or take), I truly think they fit me really well.

That aside, I keep crazy golf stats, and one thing I realized is 70% of my shots come from my Driver, 58* vokey, or putter. I have a hard time replacing 8 clubs for $500 (or more) that make up 20% of my game. Don't give in to the temptation! And if you do...try a new driver or wedge setup instead! Enjoy the last few days of golf weather!

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

I had the i210 4-UW Blue dot Power Spec with Project X LZ 120 6.0 shafts. Loved the way they felt for a cast club and looked good down by the ball. They just werent forgiving enough for my game. I went to the Apex line before finding my current set of P790's with the same shafts as the i210's. For my game the P790s work great and have shot my two lowest rounds ever with them. They combine the best of looks, feel and forgivness IMO. If you are a good ball striker I would say the i210's are a great club. I'm a 10 HC who isnt the best with the irons so I needed a little more help

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @RJ_MJ_JJ said:

> I picked up a set of i210s this spring and LOVE them. Honestly, it's the first time I've bought a "brand new" set in my life; usually, I'm an "Electronic-bay" junkie. Beside the fact my wife would divorce me if I decided to get rid of the set I said I would keep for at least 5 years (give or take), I truly think they fit me really well.

>

> That aside, I keep crazy golf stats, and one thing I realized is 70% of my shots come from my Driver, 58* vokey, or putter. I have a hard time replacing 8 clubs for $500 (or more) that make up 20% of my game. Don't give in to the temptation! And if you do...try a new driver or wedge setup instead! Enjoy the last few days of golf weather!

I definitely understand and appreciate the "realist" in you :smiley: . I know I fall into the same catagory. I know that it's not logical or smart to purchase a new set of irons every year but this is one of my only hobbies and love trying new "stuff". I was just wondering if anyone else is changing. To be honest, I think the i210s have been the best set I've had in the past few years. I typically rotate between the newest AP2 offering and latest i offering from Ping. Of course, the T100's just came out so I feel the need to try them. I liked the 718 AP2, but I think I had a poorly fit shaft in my last set. That led to a lot of inconsistent distances with that set and a lot of frustrating long shots. Anyway, I appreciate the level-headed response - my wife would say I could use some more of your thinking! :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Not i210’s but I did buy a set of Maltby DBMs to back up a set of i200s. I ended up liking the DBMs better. The soft forged feel more than made up the loss of distance per club, not that the Pings felt harsh in any way. I’ve since moved on to Honma TW X hollow irons that I believe are superior to both IMO as it has distance and forged feel.

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

Humoring the Blueprints simply out of boredom because I’m not playing enough. The i210s are pretty perfect.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

> @PreppySlapCut said:

> Humoring the Blueprints simply out of boredom because I’m not playing enough. The i210s are pretty perfect.

I’d be curious to know how the blueprints compare to the i210s. I agree that the 210s are great clubs and have given me no reason to move on but I’ve always enjoyed the “next thing”. Let me know what you think of the blueprints!

> @leftycabe said:

> > @PreppySlapCut said:

> > Humoring the Blueprints simply out of boredom because I’m not playing enough. The i210s are pretty perfect.

>

> I’d be curious to know how the blueprints compare to the i210s. I agree that the 210s are great clubs and have given me no reason to move on but I’ve always enjoyed the “next thing”. Let me know what you think of the blueprints!

Since I’ve been out of college I’ve played everything from G20s to 680s. My ball striking and scores stay the same. I will say I think the Blueprint shape might be the best looking at address I’ve ever seen.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

It’s going to be hard. Have the Z Forged and was hitting these and the i210s today at the range. Yes I like how the z forged is smaller, but they feel the same. 210s are very very good irons.

Cobra Darkspeed LS, Ventus TR Blue 6x

Ping G430 Max 15*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Ping G430 Max 21*, Tour Chrome 2.0

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour, 4-P, PX LZ 5.5 blackout

Mizuno T24, 50*/56*/60*, KBS Hi Rev 2.0 blackout 

Evnroll ESR2 Black

1.Moved on from the i210s after 60 days. Felt like they were a smaller game improvement iron. Was really looking for something smaller where I could work the ball more and have true distances. Felt that the i210s would jump 10 yards if I hit it as pure as I could. They also didn’t feel too great compared to other forged offerings. The offset was also starting to really bother me as well. I always have been a ping guy and they just felt like their was more to be desired. I had a 90 day playability guarantee and had to use it.

2. Was looking at the Srixons for a while and thought the z785s were right up my alley. Ended up going to there fitting day and got hooked up to the trackman and happened to just try the srixon Z forged. It was love at first sight. They looked great, felt great and the dispersion was very minimal. Nothing jumped on me and felt they were exactly the clubs I needed. Next to the ball they looked perfect, felt better then the mizunos I tried and just checked all the boxes. Ended up getting 3-PW.

3. No regrets. One of the best golf decisions I’ve made. Love the blade look and have been playing my best golf since the purchase. I’m a pretty good ball striker and have no issue with the 4 iron, it’s one of my favorite clubs. The 3 iron off the turf I’m still getting use to but off the tee, no problems. Since the purchase I have shot my personal best low round.

While I'm not moving away from the i210s, I can certainly share some thoughts. As someone who has owned A LOT of iron sets, I can quite honestly say the i210s are probably the most "blah" set of irons I've ever used -- BUT that it's necessarily a bad thing. In my opinion, the i210s fail to be the "best" in any category but stand as one of the only irons on the market without any significant faults. Sure, the i210's don't have the distance of an i500 or p790, even at similar lofts, but they aren't short. They don't have the workability of a true players cb, but they are reasonably workable. They don't have the feel of a forged blade, but they are pleasant to hit. They are easily as forgiving as any other "players cb" on the market and boast a bit more spin than some of the hollow headed competitors making the i210 a top tier distance control option within the category. Looks wise, well there's not much to report, they look "good" -- all but the most discerning muscle back snob will probably find them appealing to the eye, at least enough so that they are playable.

So, what are you left with? A decent looking iron with relatively good forgivingness and feel, that launches high and offers "normal" distance with very good control. In actuality, that's a great profile, but I can imagine people becoming bored with the i210 and ditching it in favor of something that delivers a "wow" factor in some other area. I'll admit to being entranced by the distance of the P790 or the looks of most MBs on the market -- and quite honestly, if I had the money, I might have made the switch. But, I can almost guarantee neither switch would have been helpful to my scores.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

I absolutely love mine and have shot my best rounds with them this year and hitting my best GIR. That being said, I always have a wondering eye. Picked up some HMB’s but sold because they didn’t do anything the i210’s couldn’t do. After I sold the HMB’s I kind of regretted not giving them more of a chance. Fast forward to this past week and I found a great deal on some more HMB’s. We'll see what happens but honestly with how low the i210’s are going resale I might just keep as backups if I keep the HMB’s. They’re just great irons!

> @shredNECTAR said:

> 1.Moved on from the i210s after 60 days. Felt like they were a smaller game improvement iron. Was really looking for something smaller where I could work the ball more and have true distances. Felt that the i210s would jump 10 yards if I hit it as pure as I could. They also didn’t feel too great compared to other forged offerings. **The offset was also starting to really bother me as well. I always have been a ping guy** and they just felt like their was more to be desired. I had a 90 day playability guarantee and had to use it.

> 2. Was looking at the Srixons for a while and thought the z785s were right up my alley. Ended up going to there fitting day and got hooked up to the trackman and happened to just try the srixon Z forged. It was love at first sight. They looked great, felt great and the dispersion was very minimal. Nothing jumped on me and felt they were exactly the clubs I needed. Next to the ball they looked perfect, felt better then the mizunos I tried and just checked all the boxes. Ended up getting 3-PW.

> 3. No regrets. One of the best golf decisions I’ve made. Love the blade look and have been playing my best golf since the purchase. I’m a pretty good ball striker and have no issue with the 4 iron, it’s one of my favorite clubs. The 3 iron off the turf I’m still getting use to but off the tee, no problems. Since the purchase I have shot my personal best low round.

How can you always have been a Ping guy and have offset ( specially a Ping iron with smaller offset than most Pings ) get to you?

> @robbie91 said:

> While I'm not moving away from the i210s, I can certainly share some thoughts. As someone who has owned A LOT of iron sets, I can quite honestly say the i210s are probably the most "blah" set of irons I've ever used -- BUT that it's necessarily a bad thing. In my opinion, the i210s fail to be the "best" in any category but stand as one of the only irons on the market without any significant faults. Sure, the i210's don't have the distance of an i500 or p790, even at similar lofts, but they aren't short. They don't have the workability of a true players cb, but they are reasonably workable. They don't have the feel of a forged blade, but they are pleasant to hit. They are easily as forgiving as any other "players cb" on the market and boast a bit more spin than some of the hollow headed competitors making the i210 a top tier distance control option within the category. Looks wise, well there's not much to report, they look "good" -- all but the most discerning muscle back snob will probably find them appealing to the eye, at least enough so that they are playable.

>

> So, what are you left with? A decent looking iron with relatively good forgivingness and feel, that launches high and offers "normal" distance with very good control. In actuality, that's a great profile, but I can imagine people becoming bored with the i210 and ditching it in favor of something that delivers a "wow" factor in some other area. I'll admit to being entranced by the distance of the P790 or the looks of most MBs on the market -- and quite honestly, if I had the money, I might have made the switch. But, I can almost guarantee neither switch would have been helpful to my scores.

This is probably the most accurate description of the i210 I’ve ever read. I am gaming these currently and have tried to move away from them about half a dozen times in search of that “wow” factor. Even though I want something “more” I know that I-series irons will always work for me.

Titleist TSR2+ 12.75*
Ping G425 19.5*

Titleist TS2 4h 22*
Ping i210 5-PW
Vokey SM8 52*/58*
Ping Prime Tyne
Titleist Pro V1

> @OrangeGravy said:

> > @shredNECTAR said:

> > 1.Moved on from the i210s after 60 days. Felt like they were a smaller game improvement iron. Was really looking for something smaller where I could work the ball more and have true distances. Felt that the i210s would jump 10 yards if I hit it as pure as I could. They also didn’t feel too great compared to other forged offerings. **The offset was also starting to really bother me as well. I always have been a ping guy** and they just felt like their was more to be desired. I had a 90 day playability guarantee and had to use it.

> > 2. Was looking at the Srixons for a while and thought the z785s were right up my alley. Ended up going to there fitting day and got hooked up to the trackman and happened to just try the srixon Z forged. It was love at first sight. They looked great, felt great and the dispersion was very minimal. Nothing jumped on me and felt they were exactly the clubs I needed. Next to the ball they looked perfect, felt better then the mizunos I tried and just checked all the boxes. Ended up getting 3-PW.

> > 3. No regrets. One of the best golf decisions I’ve made. Love the blade look and have been playing my best golf since the purchase. I’m a pretty good ball striker and have no issue with the 4 iron, it’s one of my favorite clubs. The 3 iron off the turf I’m still getting use to but off the tee, no problems. Since the purchase I have shot my personal best low round.

>

> How can you always have been a Ping guy and have offset ( specially a Ping iron with smaller offset than most Pings ) get to you?

That's what I was wondering.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Always got along well with Ping clubs moved on from the most exaggerated offset the ping g25s to the i210s which were considerably less offset. I just felt the offset messed with my alignment and held me back a bit as far as aiming goes. Until I explored what else was out there I didn’t realize that less offset helped my game. As far as Ping guy, love there drivers, think they make a great cast club just felt the offset was more of a hindrance to my game after exploring what else was out there. I didn’t want to come across as a Ping hater, they have always made a great product.

> @leftycabe said:

> > @PreppySlapCut said:

> > Humoring the Blueprints simply out of boredom because I’m not playing enough. The i210s are pretty perfect.

>

> I’d be curious to know how the blueprints compare to the i210s. I agree that the 210s are great clubs and have given me no reason to move on but I’ve always enjoyed the “next thing”. Let me know what you think of the blueprints!

I have hit both side by side in testing with exact same shaft. The Blueprint has a much lower ball flight and more piercing. In the short irons, I find I hit a lot more shots closer to the pin with the Blueprints.

• 4 months later...