2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fell in love with walking

mvhoffman

Bill, great for you. My highest was 398.8... I’m now at 270 and loving walking. Gastric sleeve changed my outlook for sure

• Like 2

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I really enjoy walking, especially when hitting the ball straight. Nothing better than a stroll down the fairway to your ball. The problem I have is that most people ride where I play because carts are included so if I walk I’m paying for something I’m not using. Also, as the sole walker in a group of carts it’s challenging to get a good pace flow. Would be awesome to get a group that wanted to walk but most aren’t interested.

IMO - Walking and playing golf makes it a different more challenging game, I love it. More challenging than most think because people don't realize just how out-of-shape they are until they walk 6-8 miles on turf and climb little hills, push a cart or carry and try to play their best golf. Walking and playing golf can put the fear of God in some people. LOL

It's sad that many courses that I frequent don't allow walking till late in the day which doesn't interest me. Though Carts increase the cost, they truly changed the game, especially for those that face medical conditions. Not so good for lazy folks though.

What's not talked about much is reseach shows walking has great cardio benefits, even if it's just a mile or two, better than many other sports. When I walk over 4-5hrs my HR averages 95-100 and hits 130-140 depending on undulations and hills.

To the OP, congrats for seeing a better part of golf.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

It's not a good comparison between the UK and most of the US in the summer. I like to walk, but not on hot days. Plus, judging by what I see on youtube vlogs, the typical UK course is very compact between greens and tees, and that is often not the case in the US.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

@Snowman9000 said:

> It's not a good comparison between the UK and most of the US in the summer. I like to walk, but not on hot days. Plus, judging by what I see on youtube vlogs, the typical UK course is very compact between greens and tees, and that is often not the case in the US.

>

Yeah it's fairly unusual in the UK to have to walk more than a few paces to the next tee although there can sometimes be a longer walk between front and back nine. My own club is split by a road so from the 9th to the 10th means a good 10 minute walk. Since you're walking past the clubhouse entrance a lot of people pop in to grab a snack or use the facilities. I think this kind of arrangement is not uncommon.

But land in the UK is too expensive to waste on scenic walks between green and tee for the most part. That's also why most courses have very little room behind the hole which discourages golfers from going long and probably adds to the tendency to be too short on approaches.

And yes, we rarely get days that are genuinely too hot to walk. This year we had two and I had to give up the round on the second of them when temperature reached 32c. My colleagues carried on but I'd had diarrhoea a few days previously so wasn't up to full strength I suppose. But it's rare for temperatures to go much above 25c so walking is rarely a problem.

> @Birdyjuice said:

> > @caniac6 said:

> > Started carrying again this week, and feels great.

>

> Carrying is the only way i can walk, to me its way easier to carry a lite stand bag than push/pull a cart around.

I have been using an battery powered cart. That was pretty easy.

It’s great to walk the course, tho some courses aren’t really setup for that. He’s played too many super hilly courses designed around the cart.

But he walks his home course and carries his new, lighter bag — dropped one club and it’s been great. Gotta get some rain gear...

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

I've played for 25 years.

Just started walking 3 years ago.

My Son was joining thr High School golf team.

Golf is more fun now.

The course we play let's him play for free, and they charge me $5 per 18.

They make their money from the people riding carts.

We walk every day thru the summer starting around 3 PM.

It's hot, but feels good to sweat.

When we first started walking we were leary.

I thought we couldn't keep up.

Usually we can walk 9 holes in 1-1\2 to 1-3\4 hours.

Sometimes people on carts let us play through.

We probably play 125-140 rounds a year.

Maybe 2 or 3 od those driving a cart.

Walking gives me a better feel for distances, and I find a lot of balls that people can't see when they are sitting in a cart.

I much prefer to walk but sitting at a desk for the past 17 yrs means my back can’t really handle it now. Looking at getting a push cart though. Fitness is good enough to walk just can’t carry anymore.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
New Level 902 PD 5-P Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2

Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 48

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

Possibly unpopular opinion, but I don't get people that take carts as a default or courses that force carts on people.

For me, carts are for those that are injured/had surgery or corporate golf days (where the golf is usually secondary).

It's not high intensity exercise, but walking is exercise nonetheless

Played with 3 other people this weekend, decent players, all riding. I have played with them before and this time I told them of my new love for walking and politely declined the invite to ride along. They understood but made sure to say, "Youre a good player but since you are walking you can just play ready golf so you don't slow down the group." It was meant with no disrespect and I completely understand and was thankful for the offer as they are trying to keep things moving in their eyes...

long story short... 3 holes later while I was waiting on the green to putt as they were all observing each others shots, and looking for their balls, I politely gave the wave and continued on by myself. They were very humored by the fact that they were just getting off the front nine as I was walking past the 10th tee box on my way off 18 and to the parking lot. Good guys, it was fun for 3 holes, but I was glad to get back to my own pace.

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

> @"Bill Broderick" said:

> In July 2015, I weighed 460 pounds and walking anywhere was a painful chore. I decided to make a change. I found a good doctor, started dieting and exercising as much as I could. Initially, that was 3 minutes on a stationary bike. Each week, I increased my time by a minute (I stopped increasing time when I hit 45 minutes) and increased the tension as I felt capable of doing so. By the time that I had gastric sleeve surgery in November 2015, I had lost 88 pounds. By the end of 2016, I was weighed 195 pounds.

>

> In the summer of 2016, I decided to start golfing again after a 14 year absence from the game. But, there was no way that I was going to ride in a cart. As far as I'm concerned, walking 18 is a fair replacement for a session on the stationary bike. There was no way that I wanted to play golf and then have to exercise when I came home. I got myself a stand bag and walked every round. Sometimes, someone else would join me walking. But, most of the time, everyone else would ride. Earlier this year, I was really starting to get sore after carrying my bag for 18 holes. Years of extreme obesity did a number on my knees (and my back wasn't feeling so good either) So, I bought a ClicGear push cart. It was, by far, the best golf purchase I have made.

>

> Even when I play horribly, walking 18 holes on the golf course is MUCH more enjoyable than riding the stationary bike for 45 minutes.

This is fantastic. Congrats on this! Keep it up!

Yup, I only walk, it has become a running joke in our group if I even entertain getting a cart. There are two local courses that are so hilly that they are borderline not walkable so I take a cart occasionally on those and sometimes even walk them.

It just feels right to walk. I get the time to think while I am out there and walking. In a cart, it is just rush to my ball, hit and then back in my cart. Also, I end up on my phone a lot more (my fault but none the less). Golf is my hobby and I use it to unwind. Walking feels like the only way for me to truly unwind and just be out there with my thoughts. I will take advantage while my health is good because you never know!

• Like 1

> @mvhoffman said:

> Played with 3 other people this weekend, decent players, all riding. I have played with them before and this time I told them of my new love for walking and politely declined the invite to ride along. They understood but made sure to say, "Youre a good player but since you are walking you can just play ready golf so you don't slow down the group." It was meant with no disrespect and I completely understand and was thankful for the offer as they are trying to keep things moving in their eyes...

>

> long story short... 3 holes later while I was waiting on the green to putt as they were all observing each others shots, and looking for their balls, I politely gave the wave and continued on by myself. They were very humored by the fact that they were just getting off the front nine as I was walking past the 10th tee box on my way off 18 and to the parking lot. Good guys, it was fun for 3 holes, but I was glad to get back to my own pace.

This is so true! I find that 2 guys on a cart are definitely slower than a pushcart. One group of older guys I play with always want me to ride, but when I'm using my pushcart, I'm usually waiting on the green.

Another bonus tip, get an umbrella! I used to make fun of them but I'm not laughing anymore when I'm standing under my umbrella shade and everyone else is baking.

Honma 737-445cc 9.5 driver Honma Vizard 70g

Adams Pro Mini 18 Aldila Tour green

Adams Pro Mini 23 Aldila Tour green

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

Cleveland 588 Endo Forged MB 4-PW

Miura 50 Forged Wedge, Yururi Forged Wedge 53, Honma Forged Wedge 56

Ping Anser 4 BECU w/ UST frequency filtered shaft

Jones William Murray edition carry bag

> @USCdrifter said:

> This is so true! I find that 2 guys on a cart are definitely slower than a pushcart. One group of older guys I play with always want me to ride, but when I'm using my pushcart, I'm usually waiting on the green.

>

> Another bonus tip, get an umbrella! I used to make fun of them but I'm not laughing anymore when I'm standing under my umbrella shade and everyone else is baking.

I already have a holder attachment on the way

• 2 weeks later...

I will walk nine for those days that allow it. I am just to tired for walking 18 anymore. Clic Gear carts are just so enjoyable, they make walking fun for me. My golf buddy perks up if I mention walking nine, he's in for sure. Most courses here are very hilly, so 18 is out. Hole 3 at Cole Park is called Cardiac Hill if that gives you an idea. I pulled a ham sting on it, and since then quit walking 18.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

> @aramirez24 said:

> Pushed my 9 month old son and carried my bag 18 holes this weekend during twilight. Probably one of the most enjoyable rounds I've had in a long time. Will be doing that more often.

Good effort, we need a pram-bag though, should be easy to engineer... I'm sure a lot of golfing dads would be keen

All things equal it's walking with my push card, but when sneaking on at 2 pm and only have 3 hours to bang out 18 (with 2 balls of course) the golf cart is the only way to go.........

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Kept up for a while the difference in scores when walking and riding, and all things being equal (same courses, weather, etc), my walking round scores were almost always better than those when riding! Looking for more accessories for my Clicgear (sand bottle, xl drink holder, etc), to make it even a better experience.