Thoughts on Chuck Quinton’s Dead Drill

Negncic

From reading previous posts about Chuck Quinton, I realize he is not the most well liked guy around. Putting that aside, what is the consensus on the dead drill? I never had a real golf swing, it was more of a grip it and rip it move. Over the top, across the line, right side dominant with little to no hip/shoulder separation. Other than that, I was good. I have made pretty good progress so far, but I was wondering if there was something better out there or if his teaching is somewhat flawed. I have been trying to reverse 30 years of bad habits and I don’t want to compound my issues.

He gives 3 moves on promo videos but you then need to sign up for detail - Rotary swing.!

Not sure why it's called the dead drill.

If you want simple moves to lead to a simple rotary type swing suggest Michael Mcteigue " the keys to the effortless golf swing" - book in print & short & to the point + dvd's have been posted up on youtube - essentially a simple rotary swing taught in simple steps.

After you sign up for RST you then need to pay $500 to be part of the boot camp to learn and go through the teachings.of the dead drill. The drill looks pretty much what everyone else is teaching now and doing on there websites. I was member there for a while when they include the swing review/lesson 2x month. I thought that was the best part and what set them apart from others. I cancelled when they started charging extra for them. I think there are a lot better sites out there now; Me and My golf; Cogorno golf , George Gankas new site. My opinion as learned from experience is stop going down the youtube rabbit hole chasing the easy fix because it will never happen. Find a pro online or in your are and stick with that

> @magsgolfho said:

> After you sign up for RST you then need to pay $500 to be part of the boot camp to learn and go through the teachings.of the dead drill. The drill looks pretty much what everyone else is teaching now and doing on there websites. I was member there for a while when they include the swing review/lesson 2x month. I thought that was the best part and what set them apart from others. I cancelled when they started charging extra for them. I think there are a lot better sites out there now; Me and My golf; Cogorno golf , George Gankas new site. My opinion as learned from experience is stop going down the youtube rabbit hole chasing the easy fix because it will never happen. Find a pro online or in your are and stick with that

That is not accurate. The drills are a part of Rotary Swing. The boot Camp is a separate real time training series. I have tried several Pro’s and they have tried fixing things halfway through my swing when I was already in trouble. I have made more progress using the Live View camera and self evaluating than any lesson series I have taken. I was using Rotary Swing as a guide in addition to the 6 free swing reviews they provide. I appreciate the recommendations and I will check out the other sites.

Thank you

I dunno. I think this is a really simple explanation and there’s a lot of good in it, especially for newer golfers that don’t have a very good concept of how the body should move in the golf swing.

I think a lot of the time the message is judged based on the messenger... I wonder how we’d react to the same video if it was created by Clay Ballard, or Russell Heritage, or Eric Cogorno...

> @juststeve said:

> What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

>

> Steve

1) I do not think it is possible to move the club correctly/reasonably without your body moving correctly/reasonably.

2) The vast majority of recreational golfers are trying to move the club correctly, but have a flawed/no idea of the correct movement.

3) Furthermore they will often struggle to correct some aspect of the club's movement, because they are not aware of the underlying flaw in their body's movement that causes the club movement error.

> @cadoipi said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

> >

> > Steve

>

> 1) I do not think it is possible to move the club correctly/reasonably without your body moving correctly/reasonably.

> 2) The vast majority of recreational golfers are trying to move the club correctly, but have a flawed/no idea of the correct movement.

> 3) Furthermore they will often struggle to correct some aspect of the club's movement, because they are not aware of the underlying flaw in their body's movement that causes the club movement error.

Rather that arguing with you I suggest that you get a copy of Understanding The Golf Swing by Manuel de la Torre and red it. You might change your ideas about what is and what isn't possible.

Steve

> @juststeve said:

> What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

>

> Steve

But Steve, wouldn’t that critique equally apply to any golf instructor that doesn’t follow the Manuel de la Torre method or has an element of a ‘ground-up’ approach? Wouldn’t it equally apply to Gankas, Cogorno, Whittaker, etc.?

> @PorscheFan said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

> >

> > Steve

>

> But Steve, wouldn’t that critique equally apply to any golf instructor that doesn’t follow the Manuel de la Torre method or has an element of a ‘ground-up’ approach? Wouldn’t it equally apply to Gankas, Cogorno, Whittaker, etc.?

To an extent yes. Any instructor who doesn't focus on the movement of the club is ignoring the most important thing. Why? Because the only thing that directly influences the golf ball is the golf club. If the club moves correctly it will produce a good shot, period The same cannot be said of the various body parts that so many teacher focus on because those body parts effect the golf ball only indirectly, if at all.

Now were you to ask me whether one could focus on how their body moves, and how the club is moving, and coordinate all of the various motions of the body with the swinging of the club, I would say yes, provided hey are very talented and play and practice all the time. Focusing on the swinging of he club and allowing the body to react to that is much easier to learn and to maintain over time.

Steve

> @juststeve said:

> > @PorscheFan said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > > What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

> > >

> > > Steve

> >

> > But Steve, wouldn’t that critique equally apply to any golf instructor that doesn’t follow the Manuel de la Torre method or has an element of a ‘ground-up’ approach? Wouldn’t it equally apply to Gankas, Cogorno, Whittaker, etc.?

>

> To an extent yes. Any instructor who doesn't focus on the movement of the club is ignoring the most important thing. Why? Because the only thing that directly influences the golf ball is the golf club. If the club moves correctly it will produce a good shot, period The same cannot be said of the various body parts that so many teacher focus on because those body parts effect the golf ball only indirectly, if at all.

>

> Now were you to ask me whether one could focus on how their body moves, and how the club is moving, and coordinate all of the various motions of the body with the swinging of the club, I would say yes, provided hey are very talented and play and practice all the time. Focusing on the swinging of he club and allowing the body to react to that is much easier to learn and to maintain over time.

>

> Steve

His premise is that if you get your body in the correct positions, everything else should follow. I think it’s fair to assume that it is much easier to focus on the movement of the club if your body is in the correct positions rather than trying to manipulate the club with poor body positions (which is what I have been struggling with). Thanks to the input here, I think I am going to use the Dead Drill to trying and I grain proper movement and then focus on the club movement and see how that goes.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

> @Negncic said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > > @PorscheFan said:

> > > > @juststeve said:

> > > > What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

> > > >

> > > > Steve

> > >

> > > But Steve, wouldn’t that critique equally apply to any golf instructor that doesn’t follow the Manuel de la Torre method or has an element of a ‘ground-up’ approach? Wouldn’t it equally apply to Gankas, Cogorno, Whittaker, etc.?

> >

> > To an extent yes. Any instructor who doesn't focus on the movement of the club is ignoring the most important thing. Why? Because the only thing that directly influences the golf ball is the golf club. If the club moves correctly it will produce a good shot, period The same cannot be said of the various body parts that so many teacher focus on because those body parts effect the golf ball only indirectly, if at all.

> >

> > Now were you to ask me whether one could focus on how their body moves, and how the club is moving, and coordinate all of the various motions of the body with the swinging of the club, I would say yes, provided hey are very talented and play and practice all the time. Focusing on the swinging of he club and allowing the body to react to that is much easier to learn and to maintain over time.

> >

> > Steve

>

> His premise is that if you get your body in the correct positions, everything else should follow. I think it’s fair to assume that it is much easier to focus on the movement of the club if your body is in the correct positions rather than trying to manipulate the club with poor body positions (which is what I have been struggling with). Thanks to the input here, I think I am going to use the Dead Drill to trying and I grain proper movement and then focus on the club movement and see how that goes.

> Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

>

>

Good luck. I hope it helps you.

Steve

> @juststeve said:

> > @Negncic said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > > > @PorscheFan said:

> > > > > @juststeve said:

> > > > > What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

> > > > >

> > > > > Steve

> > > >

> > > > But Steve, wouldn’t that critique equally apply to any golf instructor that doesn’t follow the Manuel de la Torre method or has an element of a ‘ground-up’ approach? Wouldn’t it equally apply to Gankas, Cogorno, Whittaker, etc.?

> > >

> > > To an extent yes. Any instructor who doesn't focus on the movement of the club is ignoring the most important thing. Why? Because the only thing that directly influences the golf ball is the golf club. If the club moves correctly it will produce a good shot, period The same cannot be said of the various body parts that so many teacher focus on because those body parts effect the golf ball only indirectly, if at all.

> > >

> > > Now were you to ask me whether one could focus on how their body moves, and how the club is moving, and coordinate all of the various motions of the body with the swinging of the club, I would say yes, provided hey are very talented and play and practice all the time. Focusing on the swinging of he club and allowing the body to react to that is much easier to learn and to maintain over time.

> > >

> > > Steve

> >

> > His premise is that if you get your body in the correct positions, everything else should follow. I think it’s fair to assume that it is much easier to focus on the movement of the club if your body is in the correct positions rather than trying to manipulate the club with poor body positions (which is what I have been struggling with). Thanks to the input here, I think I am going to use the Dead Drill to trying and I grain proper movement and then focus on the club movement and see how that goes.

> > Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

> >

> >

>

> Good luck. I hope it helps you.

>

> Steve

So do I. Thank you Steve

> @juststeve said:

> > @PorscheFan said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > > What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

> > >

> > > Steve

> >

> > But Steve, wouldn’t that critique equally apply to any golf instructor that doesn’t follow the Manuel de la Torre method or has an element of a ‘ground-up’ approach? Wouldn’t it equally apply to Gankas, Cogorno, Whittaker, etc.?

>

> To an extent yes. Any instructor who doesn't focus on the movement of the club is ignoring the most important thing. Why? Because the only thing that directly influences the golf ball is the golf club. If the club moves correctly it will produce a good shot, period The same cannot be said of the various body parts that so many teacher focus on because those body parts effect the golf ball only indirectly, if at all.

>

> Now were you to ask me whether one could focus on how their body moves, and how the club is moving, and coordinate all of the various motions of the body with the swinging of the club, I would say yes, provided hey are very talented and play and practice all the time. Focusing on the swinging of he club and allowing the body to react to that is much easier to learn and to maintain over time.

>

> Steve

With all do respect, if the MDLT method worked so easily, wouldn't everyone do it? It seems like only a few amount of people on golf forums and a few pros many years ago have adapted to it.

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @juststeve said:

> > > @PorscheFan said:

> > > > @juststeve said:

> > > > What I think is he is ignoring the thing that matters most, the golf club. Move the golf club correctly and you will hit good shots no matter what your body is doing.

> > > >

> > > > Steve

> > >

> > > But Steve, wouldn’t that critique equally apply to any golf instructor that doesn’t follow the Manuel de la Torre method or has an element of a ‘ground-up’ approach? Wouldn’t it equally apply to Gankas, Cogorno, Whittaker, etc.?

> >

> > To an extent yes. Any instructor who doesn't focus on the movement of the club is ignoring the most important thing. Why? Because the only thing that directly influences the golf ball is the golf club. If the club moves correctly it will produce a good shot, period The same cannot be said of the various body parts that so many teacher focus on because those body parts effect the golf ball only indirectly, if at all.

> >

> > Now were you to ask me whether one could focus on how their body moves, and how the club is moving, and coordinate all of the various motions of the body with the swinging of the club, I would say yes, provided hey are very talented and play and practice all the time. Focusing on the swinging of he club and allowing the body to react to that is much easier to learn and to maintain over time.

> >

> > Steve

>

> With all do respect, if the MDLT method worked so easily, wouldn't everyone do it? It seems like only a few amount of people on golf forums and a few pros many years ago have adapted to it.

Golf is never easy and I don't believe I have ever said it was. What I do maintain is that a method that requires you to focus on one thing, the movement of the club, rather than the club and sundry body parts is simpler and easier to learn/master. I would have thought that was self evident.

Everyone would adopts the MDLT method if an only if everyone made a serious effort to learn it. Sadly most golfers haven't and perhaps as a result don't play very well.

Steve

• Like 1

> @Negncic said:

> Here is a link to the drill. He rambles in the beginning. Skip to 12:20.

>

This is really awesome and maybe the secret? Still 3 things are hard to think of in a 20 second swing. I practiced today with the last suggestion - impact - post up and open the left hip and wow! Also, I have tried this before -maybe just post up, hit off the left leg (rightie), not sure what was different today. Maybe, the post and open the hip?

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @Negncic said:

> > Here is a link to the drill. He rambles in the beginning. Skip to 12:20.

> >

>

> This is really awesome and maybe the secret? Still 3 things are hard to think of in a 20 second swing. I practiced today with the last suggestion - impact - post up and open the left hip and wow! Also, I have tried this before -maybe just post up, hit off the left leg (rightie), not sure what was different today. Maybe, the post and open the hip?

Tanner - the secret is there is no secret.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

• 2 weeks later...

"Everyone would adopts the MDLT method if an only if everyone made a serious effort to learn it. Sadly most golfers haven't and perhaps as a result don't play very well."

Sounds very like some religious orgs i have met. If only everyone would follow THE plan I preach, happiness would follow with heaven the end result. Oh, yeah i need cash to continue my holy efforts. Plz click the 'pay now button'.

> @juststeve said:

> > @PorscheFan said:

> > > @juststeve said:

> > >

> > > Steve

> >

>

>

>

> Steve

From what I have seen of Quinton, he does absolutely talk about moving the club, but not initially with the arms and hands. The club is moved by the body in the backswing and then up until the 9pm position on the downswing, at which point the arms and hands take over.

For what it is worth, as an improving golfer, I have made a lot of progress with **all **body - literally no thought at all to arms or hands in the swing. By a lot of progress, I mean going from 20's handicap to low 10's. I very recently adapted further using more of Quinton's approach - that is using the body until the point of release and instead of turning hard with the body through the ball, I am letting the arms go from the 9pm position.

What I have found, at least initially, is that I am hitting it longer and straighter (prior issue with a full body release was a regular pull, especially with wedges) with a more consistent strike and for the first time taking shallow divots pretty consistently after the ball.

Bottom line is that Quinton's approach (which i don't think is unique - it looks pretty much how most top players I see swing it) seems to work for me. It makes sense to me that it is likely to lead to failure if you try and manipulate the club / club face at any point in the swing - unless you are a really good player.

> @magsgolfho said:

> So has anyone gone through the bootcamp or through the 6 video training and can comment.

I am a fairly new member there.

been through quite a few of the videos.

I'd have to say that the content is really very good - well explained and there's quite a lot of honesty about what it actually takes to improve. There is no magic here, it's all about specific moves in sequence and drilling them with reps.

I can only say that for me personally his swing recommendations work really well BECAUSE i was prepared to put the effor in to do the drills and not expect to be crushing the ball with a full swing in a week. It's taken quite a few drills with both left arm and right arm only to ingrain things.

One thing I can say that is really helpful straight away - the focus on the left side (for right handed golfers) - using the left side to 'turn to square' and 'post up'. Just that move seems to get me into a very good position to hit and if i hit a couple of bad shots, going back to it does seem to iron things out.

I still haven't decided whether I will keep with this approach or stick with the full body release holding the clubface square, but as it stands I prefer the result of the arms and hands release in Quinton's approach because of the straight ball flight and less pulls.

• 1 month later...