Mizuno MP-20 - July 2019

GolfWRX

> @MBBG said:

> Yeah I think MBs have become synonymous with blades but MBs were actually the first GI technology. Yururi still makes JDM “flatback” irons in multiple finishes I believe. Kyoei forged.

Those are still musclebacks. The weight has to go somewhere. Only ones are the Norman blades but that had the reverse muscle on the top.

> @musclefront said:

> > @MBBG said:

> > Yeah I think MBs have become synonymous with blades but MBs were actually the first GI technology. Yururi still makes JDM “flatback” irons in multiple finishes I believe. Kyoei forged.

>

> Those are still musclebacks. The weight has to go somewhere. Only ones are the Norman blades but that had the reverse muscle on the top.

Yeah I looked at them and they have a more pronounced muscle than I remembered them having.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

> @beluga99 said:

> > @Mudguard said:

> > A little Team Blue action

> Looks great. What set up did you go with? Same shaft in wedges as irons?

I've got no idea :D They were thrust upon me as is my brother's way. Came out of the proshop on Saturday morning after printing my card and my bloody brother had whipped out my APs. Irons shafts are the same as my old irons. I'm not sure about the wedges actually. I don't even know what was in my Vokeys. Probably the DG S300 or whatever their wedge one is. No idea what were in the Mizuno wedges!

First round of 18 holes with my MP20s yesterday. Clubs performed flawlessly. If anything I was even more impressed with the MMCs than when I left my range session at the fitters.

There is a big component of their performance that I put to the Nippon 130Xs but the feel of the MP20s is undeniable, they're a big step up from the MP18s.

To say the MBs are demanding is unfair, but I've got the set split at 7/8 and you need to be more precise with the 8i. That said the ability to control flight is what you get as part of that reward.

With the MP20 set it feels like they've got just the right about of offset and the turf interaction is so much better than the JPX line. Night and day for me, though I have a steep AoA.

I'm still toying with the idea of the HMB in a 3i but I didn't find that as easy to launch as the MMCs. But for a stinger it would be the perfect tool.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Has anyone combo'd the mp20's with MMC replacing the 3 and 4 iron only. I know the MMC is only offered down to a 4 iron, but if I order the 4 and 5 iron mmc 1 degree strong, they would be the same lofts as the mp20 3 and 4 iron.

After hitting the mp20 in a 7 iron I was quite surprised at the forgiveness and leaning towards a full set of mp20's with possibly a hmb 2 iron, or hmb 2 iron and 4/5 mmc, and then 5-pw in mb????

I'm coming from TM RAC blades 3-pw and a callaway x-16 2 iron (~13 year old set)

So I played 5 rounds with my full set of HMBs. After the fourth round I ordered 6-pw in the MBs. Played my first round with them today and was blown away! For some reason I have not been hitting the HMB mid and short irons solid at all since I got them. I was a little concerned that it was the shafts. But couldn’t understand how I was striping the long irons. Today just reminds me for the 100th time that I just don’t hit bigger headed irons solid! I was throwing darts with the blades all day! I would have to say these are the best feeling Mizuno I’ve hit. Also the sole grind is much better than other Mizuno’s I’ve hit. I did not want to stop playing today!

• Like 1

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Guys who game these: How punishing are they on slightly thin miss-hits? My old Miura blades murdered me on even slightly thin contact but I've found a really good deal online of SEL's and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

The blades have a good bit of meat low in the club head. I loose distance on thin hits for sure but not as bad as some other blades I’ve played. Maybe 10 to 15 yards?

> @jetmech879 said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > Guys who game these: How punishing are they on slightly thin miss-hits? My old Miura blades murdered me on even slightly thin contact but I've found a really good deal online of SEL's and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

>

> The blades have a good bit of meat low in the club head. I loose distance on thin hits for sure but not as bad as some other blades I’ve played. Maybe 10 to 15 yards?

>

For me it's more about the launch and losing distance. With my Miura, I could catch it a little too clean and my PW was launching like a hybrid and just wouldn't get up. My 770's don't present me that issue but I'm looking at other irons right now because they don't go thru the turf like my Miura's did. I'm fairly shallow so the thin sole with decent camber from MP-20 seems ideal.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > Guys who game these: How punishing are they on slightly thin miss-hits? My old Miura blades murdered me on even slightly thin contact but I've found a really good deal online of SEL's and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

> >

> > The blades have a good bit of meat low in the club head. I loose distance on thin hits for sure but not as bad as some other blades I’ve played. Maybe 10 to 15 yards?

> >

>

> For me it's more about the launch and losing distance. With my Miura, I could catch it a little too clean and my PW was launching like a hybrid and just wouldn't get up. My 770's don't present me that issue but I'm looking at other irons right now because they don't go thru the turf like my Miura's did. I'm fairly shallow so the thin sole with decent camber from MP-20 seems ideal.

Of course if you hit it too thin they will not launch like any club. But overall they are forgiving for a blade. A grove or 2 low won’t be too detrimental. If you’ve played blades in the past I highly doubt you will be disappointed with the SEL set.

Well I'll be demo'ing the mp20 7i today head to head against my 770 7i. My knee is a little bummed right now so swing won't be my usual gamer swing but it will at least be apples to apples. I've watched tons of reviews, and the most recent Mizuno fitting on the TXG channel has me really interested.

> @SuperBombin said:

> Ordered mmc in 4-6 and mb in 7-pw. Can’t wait

That is what I'm thinking about doing.

For me the HMBs flew way too high and I thought the MMCs were better feeling.

The real shock was how easy the MBs were to hit. I went in thinking full set of MMCs, but the MBs with $taper were sweet.

Just hit the Mp20 mb. Couldn't believe how easy they were to hit.. Honestly I thought they did better on miss hits than my P770 which I brought to hit head to head against it. They did spin up a bit more on my typical slightly thin miss hit, but I was only losing 8-9 yards which is very acceptable for such a bladed club.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Just hit the Mp20 mb. Couldn't believe how easy they were to hit.. Honestly I thought they did better on miss hits than my P770 which I brought to hit head to head against it. They did spin up a bit more on my typical slightly thin miss hit, but I was only losing 8-9 yards which is very acceptable for such a bladed club.

After playing the 33's for 15 years and then more recently the 18's, I had a lot of evidence with my own play that when I hit thin my blades I was easily this same distance short. I put a set of the HMB's in the bag a few weeks ago and now my thin shots are only 2-3 yards shorter than my flushed blades. Yesterday over the course of 4 holes the HMB's confirmed it was the right purchase for me as I thinned some shots and was surprised to find myself on the green (front green, but back pin locations).

> @toddmanley said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > Just hit the Mp20 mb. Couldn't believe how easy they were to hit.. Honestly I thought they did better on miss hits than my P770 which I brought to hit head to head against it. They did spin up a bit more on my typical slightly thin miss hit, but I was only losing 8-9 yards which is very acceptable for such a bladed club.

>

> After playing the 33's for 15 years and then more recently the 18's, I had a lot of evidence with my own play that when I hit thin my blades I was easily this same distance short. I put a set of the HMB's in the bag a few weeks ago and now my thin shots are only 2-3 yards shorter than my flushed blades. Yesterday over the course of 4 holes the HMB's confirmed it was the right purchase for me as I thinned some shots and was surprised to find myself on the green (front green, but back pin locations).

As a lefty, the HMB is only available in 3 and 4i. I'm just glad/lucky they brought out anything for LH in a more compact form. I'm hoping the SELs sell really well and Mizuno brings out the JPX Tour head in LH also.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @toddmanley said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > Just hit the Mp20 mb. Couldn't believe how easy they were to hit.. Honestly I thought they did better on miss hits than my P770 which I brought to hit head to head against it. They did spin up a bit more on my typical slightly thin miss hit, but I was only losing 8-9 yards which is very acceptable for such a bladed club.

> >

> > After playing the 33's for 15 years and then more recently the 18's, I had a lot of evidence with my own play that when I hit thin my blades I was easily this same distance short. I put a set of the HMB's in the bag a few weeks ago and now my thin shots are only 2-3 yards shorter than my flushed blades. Yesterday over the course of 4 holes the HMB's confirmed it was the right purchase for me as I thinned some shots and was surprised to find myself on the green (front green, but back pin locations).

>

> As a lefty, the HMB is only available in 3 and 4i. I'm just glad/lucky they brought out anything for LH in a more compact form. I'm hoping the SELs sell really well and Mizuno brings out the JPX Tour head in LH also.

That's also my wish! I love my SELs but I will gladly purchase the next 919 Tours if they come in for Lefties, thats for sure. Just because I love the looks, like a cool modern blade type.

> @av1084 said:

> Finally demoed this and was very impressed!

>

> Quick question (that I believe I know the answer to):

>

> Does Mizuno only offer the $-taper in 120(stiff) and 130(x-stiff), or are you able to get it in 125 (stiff plus)?

No stiff plus. Their answer is to soft step the 130x.

> @jetmech879 said:

> > @av1084 said:

> > Finally demoed this and was very impressed!

> >

> > Quick question (that I believe I know the answer to):

> >

> > Does Mizuno only offer the $-taper in 120(stiff) and 130(x-stiff), or are you able to get it in 125 (stiff plus)?

>

> No stiff plus. Their answer is to soft step the 130x.

>

>

I would be more inclined to hardstep the 120 once or even twice. Reason being the swingweights were quite light on the 130s as it’s a higher balance point shaft.