2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fuji Atmos Blue TS vs Ventus shaft difference?

itssookay

Hi all,

I was fit into the Atmos Blue TS 6S a few months back at my local club champion and have been loving the straight, mid-flight BOMBS.

Last weekend, I convinced my friend to finally (after 6 long years of playing generic, beginner clubs) get fit for proper clubs, and ended up getting a free driver fitting on the side while I was waiting.

The fitter present at the time fitted me into a Ventus 6S at the end of my session as my carry and ball speed increased with the shaft, and now I'm a bit conflicted.

What would you say are the similarities / differences between the two shafts? Should I be considering the Ventus as well?

Also, any thoughts on the Tensei Pro Orange?

_On a side note - friend has since received his spanking new set and is in LOVE!

_

**TL;DR - Always get fitted for your clubs if you're going to be dropping $$$ one way or another** :D

I have tried the Atmos Black and Ventus in drivers, and play the Atmos Blue in my 3 wood.

The main difference is that the Ventus has a much softer butt section compared to the two Atmos shafts- the Black is stiff everywhere and the Blue has a softer mid section like a Blueboard. I struggled quite a bit with swing timing using the Ventus, but if you like that type of shaft it's pretty damn hard to beat right now.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

The Ventus has an accelerated taper and and a full length layer of a 70 pitch fiber or something like that. That is the velocore, it is 150% stronger than T1100. Over all it is a smoother profile but has a very stiff tip to keep spin down.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Thanjs @GooseHook,

I'm not exactly sure what the profiles would be but my past favorites have been the GD Tour AD YS-Q, the HZRDUS Yellow and now the Atmos Blue TS.

Current dispersion is tight and distance is longer than before....

I'm just really curious about a lot of the different shaft offerings nowadays, as I've seen a huge difference from my latest fitting!

Based on the profiles from golfshaftreviews, The Atmos TS Blue is a very smooth, fairly linear profile overall whereas the Ventus has some stronger softening and stiffening moves. They both start similarly at the handle but the Atmos retains a lot more of its stiffness as it moves down towards the mid whereas the Ventus loses stiffness a lot more quickly, hence the feeling GooseHook described above. The Atmos continues nice and smooth all the way down to the tip without any dips or peaks, pretty similar to the Evenflow Blue in this regard. The Ventus on the other hand continues its more rapid loss of stiffness all the way down to the lower mid section and then stiffens up heavily towards the tip, ending up with a stiffer tip than the Atmos even though every other part of the shaft is softer.

Overall I would imagine the Atmos fitting a wider range of players whereas the Ventus would be more hit and miss, especially for the stronger swings. That big dip in the mid section and rapid stiffening towards the tip would create a pretty noticeable hinge feeling down there that could be great for some people's timing and tough for others, also as GooseHook pointed out.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

@Valtiel thanks for the descriptive explanation! One thing I don't get now is how the evenflow blue and atmos blue ts feel so opposite like the sun and moon...

I REALLY wanted to like the evenflow blue but it felt so unstable and whippy even with similar specs as the atmos blue ts (both 60 gram weight range, both stiff flex). I was hitting everything off center (mostly high heel) which killed my dispersion and distance!

> @itssookay said:

> @Valtiel thanks for the descriptive explanation! One thing I don't get now is how the evenflow blue and atmos blue ts feel so opposite like the sun and moon...

>

> I REALLY wanted to like the evenflow blue but it felt so unstable and whippy even with similar specs as the atmos blue ts (both 60 gram weight range, both stiff flex). I was hitting everything off center (mostly high heel) which killed my dispersion and distance!

Sorry I realize that statement was a little misleading. The Atmos and Evenflow both follow the same kind of linear, smooth loss if stiffness with no bumps or valleys, but the Evenflow is in fact a bit softer overall, particularly in the mid and the tip. The Evenflow Blue 6.5 X-stiff would probably give similar mid and tip stability, but the handle would most likely be a bit stiffer.

Here are all three shafts overlaid. Light blue is Evenflow, middle blue is Atmos, darkest blue is the Ventus.

ddria4yknanf.jpg

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Bridgestone 

@Valtiel gotcha! Yeah for some reason the evenflow shafts in general (black, blue, max carry) felt a bit whippy and not as stable throughout the swing as compared to the HZRDUS and Atmos TS shafts. I REALLY wanted to like the evenflow blue though... Those blue little waves are by far one of the coolest shaft design touches! Hahaha

> @itssookay said:

> @Valtiel gotcha! Yeah for some reason the evenflow shafts in general (black, blue, max carry) felt a bit whippy and not as stable throughout the swing as compared to the HZRDUS and Atmos TS shafts. I REALLY wanted to like the evenflow blue though... Those blue little waves are by far one of the coolest shaft design touches! Hahaha

Yeah the various Fuji Tour Spec and HZRDUS shafts are definitely known for being more stout to their flex in general, especially in the mid sections. The Evenflow shafts were meant to be smoother overall so thats not surprising. Based on that though it seems like the Ventus would probably be a bad choice given its profile.

Bridgestone 

> @itssookay said:

> @Valtiel that's where I'm a little unsure... I received varied (indifferent to good) feedback about my swing with the ventus. Some felt better than the atmos ts, some not as amazing yet performance did not drop as compared to the atmos shaft during the fitting session. Suuuper iffy now :(

Whatever feels the most consistent is the right choice. It can be tempting to go after something that feels better sometimes, but if it isn't an improvement across the board then it ain't the right one. :)

Bridgestone 

So many shafts I want to try b> @Valtiel said:

> > @itssookay said:

> > @Valtiel that's where I'm a little unsure... I received varied (indifferent to good) feedback about my swing with the ventus. Some felt better than the atmos ts, some not as amazing yet performance did not drop as compared to the atmos shaft during the fitting session. Suuuper iffy now :(

>

> Whatever feels the most consistent is the right choice. It can be tempting to go after something that feels better sometimes, but if it isn't an improvement across the board then it ain't the right one. :)

@Valtiel you speak the truth here haha. I went and pulled the trigger on two shafts today - Ventus 6S felt a LOT better and more consistent in my hands today at the local Club Champion. Also went ahead and ordered the Atmos Patriot edition TS 6S as well since I really liked the blue TS but wanted a slightly lower ball flight... I think I'll be rotating between these two throughout the rest of the season and hopefully I'll see some longer, consistent drives! Time to sell everything else on the BST forum...

• Like 1

> @itssookay said:

> So many shafts I want to try b> @Valtiel said:

> > > @itssookay said:

> > > @Valtiel that's where I'm a little unsure... I received varied (indifferent to good) feedback about my swing with the ventus. Some felt better than the atmos ts, some not as amazing yet performance did not drop as compared to the atmos shaft during the fitting session. Suuuper iffy now :(

> >

> > Whatever feels the most consistent is the right choice. It can be tempting to go after something that feels better sometimes, but if it isn't an improvement across the board then it ain't the right one. :)

>

> @Valtiel you speak the truth here haha. I went and pulled the trigger on two shafts today - Ventus 6S felt a LOT better and more consistent in my hands today at the local Club Champion. Also went ahead and ordered the Atmos Patriot edition TS 6S as well since I really liked the blue TS but wanted a slightly lower ball flight... I think I'll be rotating between these two throughout the rest of the season and hopefully I'll see some longer, consistent drives! Time to sell everything else on the BST forum...

Cool, best of luck! The Atmos Patriot indeed looks like a cool shaft, let us know how that one works out. I have like 8 different shafts to test later this year as well, hah.

Bridgestone 

> @itssookay said:

> @Valtiel aaaaand a friend just dropped me a sweeeeeet deal on the attas coool 6 stiff..... God I'm turning into such an equipment hoe hahahaha. I'll update you on how the Patriot shaft feels once it arrives next week! Fingers crossed they all work for me ?

The shaft game can get pretty addicting! I tend to like finding heads that work for me and then tinker with shafts until something feels right. Back home I have the following waiting for testing:

Driver:

- Mitsubishi Diamana X'17 70

- Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV-75 TX

- Project X LZ 64 Handcrafted 7.0

- Fujikura Rombax 7v05 X

Fairway:

- Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 100 XTS Proto

- Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'li 103x Proto

- Aldila Rogue Silver 125 80 Tour X

- Veylix Rome 888 X

- Project X Evenflow Blue Handcrafted 6.5 85

Hybrid:

- Fujikura Motore Speeder 9.8 Tour Spec X

- Veylix Rome 988 X

- Aldila Tour Blue ATX-85H Tour-X

Iron:

- Fujkura Rombax 115i

- UST Mamiya IS-990x Prototype

So I guess by "8" shafts I meant "14", hah!

Bridgestone 

Were you 2 comparing the atmos ts blue to others?

And speaking of evenflow, my fave is the white. Not sure why or what profile it is.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

> @"Lord Helmet" said:

> Were you 2 comparing the atmos ts blue to others?

>

> And speaking of evenflow, my fave is the white. Not sure why or what profile it is.

The Evenflow White is an interesting one. The mid and tip sections are extremely similar to the Aldila Rogue Silver 125 but the butt section is much stiffer, which makes the mid section more flexible by comparison. I see this one as being all over the map in terms of people thinking its a low spin vs. higher spin shaft because the profile looks like it could be very hit and miss. It makes sense as a compliment to the HZRDUS Smoke though because it is the same basic profile but with more extreme peaks and valleys and will likely feel quite different as a result.

It also funny that it comes up in a conversation about the Atmos Blue. The Atmos starts and ends in the same place in terms of butt and tip stiffness but couldn't go about getting there in a more different way. The Atmos is very smooth and consistent from butt to tip wheres the Evenflow White twists and turns all over the place.

Bridgestone 

> @Valtiel said:

> > @"Lord Helmet" said:

> > Were you 2 comparing the atmos ts blue to others?

> >

> > And speaking of evenflow, my fave is the white. Not sure why or what profile it is.

>

> The Evenflow White is an interesting one. The mid and tip sections are extremely similar to the Aldila Rogue Silver 125 but the butt section is much stiffer, which makes the mid section more flexible by comparison. I see this one as being all over the map in terms of people thinking its a low spin vs. higher spin shaft because the profile looks like it could be very hit and miss. It makes sense as a compliment to the HZRDUS Smoke though because it is the same basic profile but with more extreme peaks and valleys and will likely feel quite different as a result.

>

> It also funny that it comes up in a conversation about the Atmos Blue. The Atmos starts and ends in the same place in terms of butt and tip stiffness but couldn't go about getting there in a more different way. The Atmos is very smooth and consistent from butt to tip wheres the Evenflow White twists and turns all over the place.

I’m playing the White now and have seen the EI on golfshaftreviews but can’t make sense of it. Can you describe it in Lehman’s terms and maybe give a comparable shaft?

Stay Tuned...

> @drvrwdge said:

> > @Valtiel said:

> > > @"Lord Helmet" said:

> > > Were you 2 comparing the atmos ts blue to others?

> > >

> > > And speaking of evenflow, my fave is the white. Not sure why or what profile it is.

> >

> > The Evenflow White is an interesting one. The mid and tip sections are extremely similar to the Aldila Rogue Silver 125 but the butt section is much stiffer, which makes the mid section more flexible by comparison. I see this one as being all over the map in terms of people thinking its a low spin vs. higher spin shaft because the profile looks like it could be very hit and miss. It makes sense as a compliment to the HZRDUS Smoke though because it is the same basic profile but with more extreme peaks and valleys and will likely feel quite different as a result.

> >

> > It also funny that it comes up in a conversation about the Atmos Blue. The Atmos starts and ends in the same place in terms of butt and tip stiffness but couldn't go about getting there in a more different way. The Atmos is very smooth and consistent from butt to tip wheres the Evenflow White twists and turns all over the place.

>

> I’m playing the White now and have seen the EI on golfshaftreviews but can’t make sense of it. Can you describe it in Lehman’s terms and maybe give a comparable shaft?

>

>

Sure thing! The EI Bend Profile is just a visualization of how the shaft stiffness flows from butt to tip. The two things to look at are the tip to butt ratio and the overall curve of the bend profile. Tip to butt ratios will generally determine how low or high launching/spinning a shaft is assuming all other factors all fairly predictable or constant (swing, dynamic loft delivered at impact, strike location etc). The stiffer the tip is in relation to the butt (higher tip/butt ratio), the less the shaft will deflect and thus the less dynamic loft and spin it will add to the equation. The overall bend profile curve is a decent way of visualizing how a shaft might load. The less drastic the overall curve is, the more "linear" the shaft will feel with no one particular area feeling like its bending more or less. The sharper dips and valleys however will suggest points of softness that may feel like "hinges" that load and kick during the downswing (if you load the shaft enough to cause this). That all comes down to personal preference as some people like to feel the shaft kick in certain places for timing purposes whereas others will interpret that is instability or looseness.

Regarding the Evenflow White, the aforementioned Aldila Rogue Silver is somewhat similar as is the Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution IV. It also looks like a less linear version of something like a Motore Speeder as well with its bigger bump in butt stiffness and sharper drop in mid stiffness.

• Like 1

Bridgestone 

> Sure thing! The EI Bend Profile is just a visualization of how the shaft stiffness flows from butt to tip. The two things to look at are the tip to butt ratio and the overall curve of the bend profile. Tip to butt ratios will generally determine how low or high launching/spinning a shaft is assuming all other factors all fairly predictable or constant (swing, dynamic loft delivered at impact, strike location etc). The stiffer the tip is in relation to the butt (higher tip/butt ratio), the less the shaft will deflect and thus the less dynamic loft and spin it will add to the equation. The overall bend profile curve is a decent way of visualizing how a shaft might load. The less drastic the overall curve is, the more "linear" the shaft will feel with no one particular area feeling like its bending more or less. The sharper dips and valleys however will suggest points of softness that may feel like "hinges" that load and kick during the downswing (if you load the shaft enough to cause this). That all comes down to personal preference as some people like to feel the shaft kick in certain places for timing purposes whereas others will interpret that is instability or looseness.

>

> Regarding the Evenflow White, the aforementioned Aldila Rogue Silver is somewhat similar as is the Fujikura Speeder 757 Evolution IV. It also looks like a less linear version of something like a Motore Speeder as well with its bigger bump in butt stiffness and sharper drop in mid stiffness.

I wish I understood half of what was written here... lolol

@Valtiel 14!!! Sounds like a lot of hitting to do my friend. Best of luck with finding bae! My goodies arrive today so it is a super exciting day. Just the distraction I need (y)

> @itssookay said:

> @Valtiel shaft and head combo came yesterday and so I took it to the range right away! I'm getting a low-mid penetrating shot - it's a pleasure to hit and a beaut to watch. Loving the ventus for now ?

Awesome! The Ventus is definitely one of those smooth "feel good" profiles judging by the EI chart. I'd love a heavier version in a fairway wood. Enjoy it!

Bridgestone 

• 4 weeks later...

Softer butt stiffer tip, doesn’t that profile match the Tensei Pro White? Are the Ventus and TPW similar?

Callaway Triple Diamond LS 9* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

Titleist TSi3 15* | Ventus TR 7x

Titleist TSi3 18* | Ventus TR 8x
Srixon ZX7 4-p | DG x100
Vokey SM8 50|54|58 - DG x100
Scotty Newport 2
TP5x 

> @BogeyLJA said:

> Softer butt stiffer tip, doesn’t that profile match the Tensei Pro White? Are the Ventus and TPW similar?

Definitely not a softer butt shaft, not similar to the Pro White, although the PW is stiffer in the butt than most "White" profiles. The Ventus is a classic Blue/757 profile. Stiff in the butt, soft in the mid, stiff in the tip. Mid/Mid design with plenty of kick.

Bridgestone 

• 3 months later...