2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER TESTING: Lamkin Z5 Grips. GolfWRX Reviews located here!

HipCheck

Okay I'm gonna put this as a little placeholder for my review. All I can say is I really really like these grips, and put them into play at a tournament yesterday on the irons and, if you live in or around Greensboro NC, you know how hot it is, and the performance was amazing!

I'll snap pics and write a full review after playing with them today in the rain!

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do they do in heat with sweaty hands? I can only play cords because of this but I'll be interested

I played golf with mine yesterday for a full round and I must say they are growing on me. Yesterday wasn't too humid, but I don't think they would be too much trouble in severe humidity. This past Saturday I used the one on my hybrid in extreme heat and humidity and I didn't seem to have an issue. Like I mentioned above, I'm traditionally a cord guy myself.....but I'm enjoying these. I may throw one on one of my wedges to see what they are like when manipulating the club face. So far so good!

I will say it's a little weird on a wedge, I put one on for a few days, both logo up and logo down, and I think with the wedges logo down is the way to go. The thumb pad portion of the grip feels different if you have to lay the blade wide open

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Versa 1W

How do they do in heat with sweaty hands? I can only play cords because of this but I'll be interested

I played golf with mine yesterday for a full round and I must say they are growing on me. Yesterday wasn't too humid, but I don't think they would be too much trouble in severe humidity. This past Saturday I used the one on my hybrid in extreme heat and humidity and I didn't seem to have an issue. Like I mentioned above, I'm traditionally a cord guy myself.....but I'm enjoying these. I may throw one on one of my wedges to see what they are like when manipulating the club face. So far so good!

I will say it's a little weird on a wedge, I put one on for a few days, both logo up and logo down, and I think with the wedges logo down is the way to go. The thumb pad portion of the grip feels different if you have to lay the blade wide open

If I put one on my wedges, I agree that I would most likely go logo down.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Okay I'm gonna put this as a little placeholder for my review. All I can say is I really really like these grips, and put them into play at a tournament yesterday on the irons and, if you live in or around Greensboro NC, you know how hot it is, and the performance was amazing! I'll snap pics and write a full review after playing with them today in the rain!

As someone else who lives nearby in NC, I'm very curious your thoughts on this. This humidity is the worst.

Okay I'm gonna put this as a little placeholder for my review. All I can say is I really really like these grips, and put them into play at a tournament yesterday on the irons and, if you live in or around Greensboro NC, you know how hot it is, and the performance was amazing! I'll snap pics and write a full review after playing with them today in the rain!

As someone else who lives nearby in NC, I'm very curious your thoughts on this. This humidity is the worst.

Atlanta (Hotlanta) resident here. I am interested to see how these hold up in the humidity. Long time NDMC user for reference.

I just had one arrive in the mailbox today and will be installing it tonight. Free shipping was awesome and paid $7.99 to try one out.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Atlanta (Hotlanta) resident here. I am interested to see how these hold up in the humidity. Long time NDMC user for reference.

I just had one arrive in the mailbox today and will be installing it tonight. Free shipping was awesome and paid $7.99 to try one out.

In terms of performance, played them yesterday in a pro event in hot temps and high humidity, and practiced and played with them in rain today, there is no comparison.

Two completely different grips, and the Lamkin is just flat out better. One rain glove today and wiped down maybe three grips. And that's was just the bottom part for my hand that doesn't have the glove.

Yesterday had zero traction issues whatsoever, and the bottom part of the grip held up nicely.

I'm gonna have to say if these things are super durable, they may be Lamkins best grip ever.

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Versa 1W

Ok had some more time with these grips over the weekend. Weather was low to mid 80's with some humidity. No slipping at all for me and I'm really starting to enjoy the feel of these grips. As others have stated, I hope the durability is good so these can become my go to grip.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all those who have shared their experiences.

Great thread so far.

I use GP MCC Plus 4 on drivers, wedges, hybrids and irons.

However, since i love to tinker and try new things, I took advantage of the free shipping and ordered a few Z5s to try out myself.

Thanks Lamkin!

MCC Plus4 user here as well. Are you just going to do four wraps on bottom on the Lamkins to achieve similar feel?

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Great thread so far.

However, since i love to tinker and try new things, I took advantage of the free shipping and ordered a few Z5s to try out myself.

Thanks Lamkin!

MCC Plus4 user here as well. Are you just going to do four wraps on bottom on the Lamkins to achieve similar feel?

From my experience with these grips, they don't seem to taper as much as other grips, so if you do add wraps under the lower hand, you probably don't need 4 extra. I would guess that 2 extra would do the trick.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Great thread so far.

Thanks Lamkin!

From my experience with these grips, they don't seem to taper as much as other grips, so if you do add wraps under the lower hand, you probably don't need 4 extra. I would guess that 2 extra would do the trick.

Thanks for the feedback.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Titleist T200 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

• 2 months later...

Great thread so far.

Thanks Lamkin!

Thanks for an excellent review of these grips. I have 10 on order in Midsize black. I use the wrap tec for my wedges currently and have had the Utx for my irons and woods and it's time to change them out. The Utx grip wore great on the irons and 3-5 woods but wore pretty quickly on the driver...6 months tops. Will be curious to how I view these and will offer my opinion once playing with them.

Just refinished regripping my clubs to the Z5 on all woods and irons with 3 Cleveland wedges getting the Wrap tec to try out. I've been in Lamkin Utx distressed red for the past 2 years and really like the Utx.

Thought I'd give these a go for the next 6 months to see if they work better than the Utx.

My initial impressions is I really like the white on the bottom of this grip as it helps with the proper positioning of the overlap right hand. Look forward to hitting and updating my thoughts after using. Being Dec not for sure when that will be. Most of the focus has been on the multi-compound and the zone 3 thumb area but zones 4 and 5 offer something more to me than just soft feel at the bottom of the club. Sounds like I'm in the minority with the white on the bottom of the grip but I'm already a fan of that feature.

You boys still playing the Z5's after the initial trial? Thoughts now?

I dropped mine, but mostly because I reshafted my irons. If I'm being honest though, I didn't love them after some time with them. I'm a full cord guy through and through.

You boys still playing the Z5's after the initial trial? Thoughts now?

I dropped mine, but mostly because I reshafted my irons. If I'm being honest though, I didn't love them after some time with them. I'm a full cord guy through and through.

Thanks for that update. I really enjoy the Utx and was unsure as I was taking those off. Biggest thing for me is going from Standard 3 wraps to Midsize 1 wrap...feels better swinging in the back yard. Great write up and thanks for latest update.

• 1 month later...

Anybody notice a stronger odor from the Z5 grips than other grips like the NDMC grips from golf pride?

I have not noticed this. Guess I could give them a good sniff this afternoon...ha.

These grips are growing on me....I like the left hand thumb lock concept actually. It seems to act like a reverse reminder for me. It would be interesting if they made this grip with a rib, then you'd have a reminder for your lower four fingers and one for the thumb position.....top hand would be set then it seems...

Just thought this comment was so on point with release of the new GP ALIGN grips. I too would love to see a rib on the underside of these, would be super cool.

I also love the thumb reminder, has helped me tremendously in keeping my grip from cranking too strong.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

• 2 months later...

Just installed one of these grips today and looking forward to trying it. Have been playing the NDMC for several years now and really like them, but at times they feel a little too rough. And with a midsize version selling for $10.50 they're getting a little too expensive. Thought I'd try the Z5 and see it's an option. After some quick swings it's noticeably softer and with less coarse cord too. Not sure that's a good thing yet but it's interesting. We'll see how they play on the course over the weekend. Like the look of the black and white version.

Have played with one of these grips for a month or so and am really liking it. Just installed it on another club to continue testing but so far it's pretty good. Much softer than the NDMC grips and less wear on your glove and hands too. Still think they should add more prominent cord but keep it less than that found on the NDMC grips. Overall liking the grip a lot and it may be the new one for me, but still want to see how it does in cold, damp weather as Lamkins in the past have become too slick for my taste in that weather. So far so good though.

I bought 13 of these after another WRX'r shared a discount code. Order from the Lamkin site and get free shipping on orders over $50. Use the discount code "radio" for 20% off. I got 13 grips for $77 shipped. I've been using them for a couple of weeks and really like them.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I bought 13 of these after another WRX'r shared a discount code. Order from the Lamkin site and get free shipping on orders over $50. Use the discount code "radio" for 20% off. I got 13 grips for $77 shipped. I've been using them for a couple of weeks and really like them.

Thanks for that code. I love Lamkin grips. I might give the Z5s a shot even though I prefer a plain velvet still grip.

• 2 years later...