Wilson 50 Elite

Tanner25

Because soft is slow. Unless you A) don't care about performance too much or B) have a pretty low swing speed, this ball under performs compared to urethane balls. People liked them because they are soft and relatively cheap. Now with the rise of the used golf ball market, I see absolutely no reason to play a ball like this unless you simply just like the ball for whatever reason. I can get 5 dozen ProV1 for $70-80 that are in pretty great shape and the ball still feels pretty soft, and will spin and perform miles better. It's a no brainer for me now.

> @Tanner25 said:

> There used to be a cult following and massive thread on the Wilson 50 Elite prior to the golf ball explosion. What happened? Anyone gaming the new or old 50 elites? They are listed as super game improvement balls on the Wilson site. I think Wilson balls are often under rated.

it still is a good ball, I played it, but the ball market is so flooded I think, got lost in shuffle, but still is a good cheap ball.

I just bought a couple dozen to finish out the year. I’ve always liked it in colder temps because it doesn’t lose distance like some other balls I’ve played in the cold. It hold greens just fine when they are softer in the fall and spring.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I still buy them when they are on sale. Recently, Meijer had them on sale for $12 a dozen, so I picked up a couple dozen. They arent a magic ball and arent the highest spin ball in the world but they are cheap, have a nice, soft feel and are affordable.

As someone who plays persimmon woods, I dont really care about the whole, "soft is slow" thing. For me, golf is more about control than it is about distance anyways.

> @Markrip said:

> I just bought a couple dozen to finish out the year. I’ve always liked it in colder temps because it doesn’t lose distance like some other balls I’ve played in the cold. It hold greens just fine when they are softer in the fall and spring.

Did you buy the new ones or matte colored balls?

My issue with the 50 Elite is they are harder to find on the shelves than other balls in that segment. I can pick up Maxfli Softfli for $10/doz whenever DSG has them on sale... but they don't carry any Wilson balls on the shelves. I don't tend to order balls online (maybe I should), I'll stock up on them when there's a big sale going on when I'm running low.

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @Markrip said:

> > I just bought a couple dozen to finish out the year. I’ve always liked it in colder temps because it doesn’t lose distance like some other balls I’ve played in the cold. It hold greens just fine when they are softer in the fall and spring.

>

> Did you buy the new ones or matte colored balls?

The new ones.

>

>

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

> @Markrip said:

> > @Tanner25 said:

> > > @Markrip said:

> > > I just bought a couple dozen to finish out the year. I’ve always liked it in colder temps because it doesn’t lose distance like some other balls I’ve played in the cold. It hold greens just fine when they are softer in the fall and spring.

> >

> > Did you buy the new ones or matte colored balls?

>

> The new ones.

> >

> >

>

>

Cool, let us know how they play and compare with the prior gens. thx

> @jobin said:

> "Because soft is slow." post #2.

>

> A soft golf ball goes slower than a hard ball?

> And is soft/hard related to compression or softness of cover?

> And does soft/slow have anything to do with swing speed?

Common thinking used to be that slower setting speeds should use a softer (lower compression) ball because they'd pick up mor ball speed buy compressing it better. Recent studies are showing that is not the case and overly soft balls are slower off the face regardless of swing speed ( i.e. "soft is slow").

Sto Pro Veritate

> @Tanner25 said:

> There used to be a cult following and massive thread on the Wilson 50 Elite prior to the golf ball explosion. What happened? Anyone gaming the new or old 50 elites? They are listed as super game improvement balls on the Wilson site. I think Wilson balls are often under rated.

I played this ball and it really is a great sleeper ball. I recently switched to Callaway Supersoft/Superhot balls mainly because of the matte finish... Love them. I purchased from someone named Tanner on ebay. You will not be disappointed with the 50. If you are looking for super spin, these are not the ball. If you are looking for a soft yet responsive ball that will check and roll out or occasionally stop on a dime, these are it. Great durability and great price. Check out Target online. You can get for $9 a dozen and free delivery 1/2 the time.

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

> @Girevik said:

> > @jobin said:

> > "Because soft is slow." post #2.

> >

> > A soft golf ball goes slower than a hard ball?

> > And is soft/hard related to compression or softness of cover?

> > And does soft/slow have anything to do with swing speed?

>

> Common thinking used to be that slower setting speeds should use a softer (lower compression) ball because they'd pick up mor ball speed buy compressing it better. Recent studies are showing that is not the case and overly soft balls are slower off the face regardless of swing speed ( i.e. "soft is slow").

If you look at the data from all the clubs and speeds in the famed study, you'll see the speed loss is not linear, and appears to vanish when you get to the 85 yd wedge shot. In that slowest tested shot, the low compression balls were, generally speaking, faster than the firmer balls that tested better with 115mph driver.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

They're also surprisingly decent around the greens for a surlyn ball. Or so I've found them. {shrug}

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @Girevik said:

> > @jobin said:

> > "Because soft is slow." post #2.

> >

> > A soft golf ball goes slower than a hard ball?

> > And is soft/hard related to compression or softness of cover?

> > And does soft/slow have anything to do with swing speed?

>

> Common thinking used to be that slower setting speeds should use a softer (lower compression) ball because they'd pick up mor ball speed buy compressing it better. Recent studies are showing that is not the case and overly soft balls are slower off the face regardless of swing speed ( i.e. "soft is slow").

I must be an anomaly when using soft balls. Perhaps I should dust off some old Rock Flites and see how they do yardage wise.

> @ChronicSlicer said:

> > @Girevik said:

> > > @jobin said:

> > > "Because soft is slow." post #2.

> > >

> > > A soft golf ball goes slower than a hard ball?

> > > And is soft/hard related to compression or softness of cover?

> > > And does soft/slow have anything to do with swing speed?

> >

> > Common thinking used to be that slower setting speeds should use a softer (lower compression) ball because they'd pick up mor ball speed buy compressing it better. Recent studies are showing that is not the case and overly soft balls are slower off the face regardless of swing speed ( i.e. "soft is slow").

>

> I must be an anomaly when using soft balls. Perhaps I should dust off some old Rock Flites and see how they do yardage wise.

Ball speed is only one part of the distance equation. Depending on your swing/clubs/launch characteristics, the softer compression ball may have other attributes that keeps total distance about the same. All else equal (which may not be the case for many), the firmer ball / higher ball speed should give you a higher ceiling though.

Personally, I find that the lower compression balls are marginally longer (maybe 1/2 club) off the irons, and about the same off the driver (strike and course condition variance make it nearly impossible for me to draw any conclusions). Obviously, the balls behave differently with the partial wedges.

I played the original 50 elite a fair amount, but have since played the Supersoft or Soft Feel more.

I have been playing the Wilson balls for about a year now. I am 70 and my swing spend has slowed a bit. I still get decent distance off the driver, average about 210 or so, and comfortable with the ball performance off the irons. Tends to work pretty good for me around the greens. Stops well off of full wedge shots. They feel good off the putter and I will keep using them because they are inexpensive and at the level of my game they suit me well. I have played the premium balls and my scores are no different than with the cheaper balls...

When I play tournaments I usually get a sleeve or two of the 50-Elite balls, I guess cause they're cheap. I'll usually play those so I don't dip into my stash and it's usually charity tournaments at 8am and I'm going to loose a few or try dumb shots in a best ball format.

Anyways, they work obviously, quality on Wilson balls are good but I'm not a fan of them. I think my swing speed is too much for them driver and irons but they feel nice off the wedge and solid with the putter. Budget ball wise they'd be a good option over Noodles or similar.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I've tried a lot of different balls but used to play ProV1's mainly. Found a couple of 50 Elites and liked the look of them so I tried them out. Ive gotten the best distance from them than anything except perhaps the Tp5's I try occasionally but the TP5s aren't noticeably better, they are about even. My SS is 112 currently, dont know if that's "slow" but these balls work for me. Been on more par 5's in two since I switched and they feel great off the club face. Try them yourself against any other premium ball, you might be surprised

> @Zengolfer36 said:

> I still buy them when they are on sale. Recently, Meijer had them on sale for $12 a dozen, so I picked up a couple dozen. They arent a magic ball and arent the highest spin ball in the world but they are cheap, have a nice, soft feel and are affordable.

> As someone who plays persimmon woods, I dont really care about the whole, "soft is slow" thing. For me, golf is more about control than it is about distance anyways.

Are you playing modern persimmons?

> @Popeye64 said:

> > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > I still buy them when they are on sale. Recently, Meijer had them on sale for $12 a dozen, so I picked up a couple dozen. They arent a magic ball and arent the highest spin ball in the world but they are cheap, have a nice, soft feel and are affordable.

> > As someone who plays persimmon woods, I dont really care about the whole, "soft is slow" thing. For me, golf is more about control than it is about distance anyways.

>

> Are you playing modern persimmons?

Im not sure that you would call them, "modern". Ive got a Spalding 5-wood that I think is from the 60s and a Wilson driver that I think is from the '70s.

> @Zengolfer36 said:

> > @Popeye64 said:

> > > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > I still buy them when they are on sale. Recently, Meijer had them on sale for $12 a dozen, so I picked up a couple dozen. They arent a magic ball and arent the highest spin ball in the world but they are cheap, have a nice, soft feel and are affordable.

> > > As someone who plays persimmon woods, I dont really care about the whole, "soft is slow" thing. For me, golf is more about control than it is about distance anyways.

> >

> > Are you playing modern persimmons?

>

> Im not sure that you would call them, "modern". Ive got a Spalding 5-wood that I think is from the 60s and a Wilson driver that I think is from the '70s.

I was speaking of the Louisville golf clubs.

> @Popeye64 said:

> > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > @Popeye64 said:

> > > > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > > I still buy them when they are on sale. Recently, Meijer had them on sale for $12 a dozen, so I picked up a couple dozen. They arent a magic ball and arent the highest spin ball in the world but they are cheap, have a nice, soft feel and are affordable.

> > > > As someone who plays persimmon woods, I dont really care about the whole, "soft is slow" thing. For me, golf is more about control than it is about distance anyways.

> > >

> > > Are you playing modern persimmons?

> >

> > Im not sure that you would call them, "modern". Ive got a Spalding 5-wood that I think is from the 60s and a Wilson driver that I think is from the '70s.

>

> I was speaking of the Louisville golf clubs.

Oh, no. I have been thinking about picking up a Louisville Classic '50s driver and 5-wood though. I do have a Louisville Earthwoods putter that Ive used with the Wilson 50 Elite and its a very soft feeling combination.

> @Zengolfer36 said:

> > @Popeye64 said:

> > > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > > @Popeye64 said:

> > > > > @Zengolfer36 said:

> > > > > I still buy them when they are on sale. Recently, Meijer had them on sale for $12 a dozen, so I picked up a couple dozen. They arent a magic ball and arent the highest spin ball in the world but they are cheap, have a nice, soft feel and are affordable.

> > > > > As someone who plays persimmon woods, I dont really care about the whole, "soft is slow" thing. For me, golf is more about control than it is about distance anyways.

> > > >

> > > > Are you playing modern persimmons?

> > >

> > > Im not sure that you would call them, "modern". Ive got a Spalding 5-wood that I think is from the 60s and a Wilson driver that I think is from the '70s.

> >

> > I was speaking of the Louisville golf clubs.

>

> Oh, no. I have been thinking about picking up a Louisville Classic '50s driver and 5-wood though. I do have a Louisville Earthwoods putter that Ive used with the Wilson 50 Elite and its a very soft feeling combination.

Same here. The niblick 5 wood is calling my name.