Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

tigerfan23

> @BCULAW said:

> Best irons I've ever played, and I've played nearly everything. I am a bona fide iron junkie, and I am trying to get rid of these to try the "next best thing," but they're too good to let go.

>

> To out it in perspective, I've played nearly every players iron offering from ping, Titleist, Callaway, and Mizuno, and a bunch of other sets from other OEMs during the past 15+ years - likely 50-100 sets during that time (it's an Illness). These offer the best combination of feel, precision, distance, and consistency I've ever played. Add an unexpected level of forgiveness from the sole profile, and these are really, really hard to beat.

>

> Of all the sets I've tried, this night be the first set that I believe truly help me score better. The combination of the perfect turf interaction, added distance, and directional consistency (ie, straight as an arrow) is dropping my scores. Factor in that they are some of the softest feeling/sounding clubs around, and I can't recommend them enough.

I agree 100%; my experience with irons is identical to yours.

These are the best I have ever played, for distance, spin, workability, and turf interaction.

I am thinking of buying another new set before the production run ends.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

> @COmedic said:

> Bought 785s with DG AMT white shafts. Don’t love the shafts. What shafts have you faster swing speed players matched to these irons that you love? I’m drooling over the $-tapers but would consider others.

Test out the Nippon line to find what works for you. I have the 105 modus pro and for me these were made for the 785.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

> @COmedic said:

> Heading in tomorrow to rehit all the modus shafts they have. Only bummer is they only have a simulator and no real launch monitor. Looked like I was hitting beautiful straight shots with the AMTs but three days on the course has shown a massive draw that I’ve never had with any other set of clubs.

What sim were you on? I fought a draw with them as well even with the lie flattened. Compared directly to some others in the same session which I was not having issues with.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @COmedic said:

> > Heading in tomorrow to rehit all the modus shafts they have. Only bummer is they only have a simulator and no real launch monitor. Looked like I was hitting beautiful straight shots with the AMTs but three days on the course has shown a massive draw that I’ve never had with any other set of clubs.

>

> What sim were you on? I fought a draw with them as well even with the lie flattened. Compared directly to some others in the same session which I was not having issues with.

I’m not sure what simulator it is but will find out today. I’m most excited about trying the 120x shafts, but am trying to keep an open mind and compare it to the 125s or x and 130s. I’m a medium spin, medium to high hitter. I never spin balls back off a green but will plug a green or have my call within a foot of the Mark with every iron in my bag.

> @COmedic said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @COmedic said:

> > > Heading in tomorrow to rehit all the modus shafts they have. Only bummer is they only have a simulator and no real launch monitor. Looked like I was hitting beautiful straight shots with the AMTs but three days on the course has shown a massive draw that I’ve never had with any other set of clubs.

> >

> > What sim were you on? I fought a draw with them as well even with the lie flattened. Compared directly to some others in the same session which I was not having issues with.

>

> I’m not sure what simulator it is but will find out today. I’m most excited about trying the 120x shafts, but am trying to keep an open mind and compare it to the 125s or x and 130s. I’m a medium spin, medium to high hitter. I never spin balls back off a green but will plug a green or have my call within a foot of the Mark with every iron in my bag.

>

My issue with Srixons in general (and this is my issue, not an issue with the clubs themselves) is that I don't spin them enough. The strange thing about this is that I fight spin with my current irons. My peak height is usually around 38-40 with 50 descent on a 7 iron and good spin. I usually rip the ball backwards with mid to long irons even downwind. I played in a gale last week with 40mph gusts and I hit a straight downwind 7 iron 195-200 and it came back about 3 feet. Into wind it was balloon city. This meant I thought Srixon would be a great option but I end up flying greens. Need to find a happy medium. Just picked up my set of MP20 MB with KBS $Taper 130x which I will be trying out. Only irons I've hit this year that are softer than the Srixons.

Just get the Z585 5i and go > @COmedic said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @COmedic said:

> > > Heading in tomorrow to rehit all the modus shafts they have. Only bummer is they only have a simulator and no real launch monitor. Looked like I was hitting beautiful straight shots with the AMTs but three days on the course has shown a massive draw that I’ve never had with any other set of clubs.

> >

> > What sim were you on? I fought a draw with them as well even with the lie flattened. Compared directly to some others in the same session which I was not having issues with.

>

> I’m not sure what simulator it is but will find out today. I’m most excited about trying the 120x shafts, but am trying to keep an open mind and compare it to the 125s or x and 130s. I’m a medium spin, medium to high hitter. I never spin balls back off a green but will plug a green or have my call within a foot of the Mark with every iron in my bag.

>

120X is love or hate depending on how you load the shaft. I hook the 120X but get along very well with the 130X. I still have my 785s, but am back to a set of J15CBs with modus 130x. Very tempted to reshaft my z785s to try the $taper 130x

> @Krt22 said:

> Just get the Z585 5i and go > @COmedic said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @COmedic said:

> > > > Heading in tomorrow to rehit all the modus shafts they have. Only bummer is they only have a simulator and no real launch monitor. Looked like I was hitting beautiful straight shots with the AMTs but three days on the course has shown a massive draw that I’ve never had with any other set of clubs.

> > >

> > > What sim were you on? I fought a draw with them as well even with the lie flattened. Compared directly to some others in the same session which I was not having issues with.

> >

> > I’m not sure what simulator it is but will find out today. I’m most excited about trying the 120x shafts, but am trying to keep an open mind and compare it to the 125s or x and 130s. I’m a medium spin, medium to high hitter. I never spin balls back off a green but will plug a green or have my call within a foot of the Mark with every iron in my bag.

> >

>

> 120X is love or hate depending on how you load the shaft. I hook the 120X but get along very well with the 130X. I still have my 785s, but am back to a set of J15CBs with modus 130x. Very tempted to reshaft my z785s to try the $taper 130x

$Taper 130X is so smooth and got rid of my left miss. Have to see how it performs over time on course but it is a VERY nice feeling shaft. Modus 120x was nice for me but if you get aggressive it can be loose directionally for me.

Have played mine all season, have loved them. I went only 6-PW, with a 5 iron in the 585 and the U85 for my 4 iron. Looking back, my only regret is I didn't get the full set of the 785s.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

> @balls_deep said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > Just get the Z585 5i and go > @COmedic said:

> > > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > > @COmedic said:

> > > > > Heading in tomorrow to rehit all the modus shafts they have. Only bummer is they only have a simulator and no real launch monitor. Looked like I was hitting beautiful straight shots with the AMTs but three days on the course has shown a massive draw that I’ve never had with any other set of clubs.

> > > >

> > > > What sim were you on? I fought a draw with them as well even with the lie flattened. Compared directly to some others in the same session which I was not having issues with.

> > >

> > > I’m not sure what simulator it is but will find out today. I’m most excited about trying the 120x shafts, but am trying to keep an open mind and compare it to the 125s or x and 130s. I’m a medium spin, medium to high hitter. I never spin balls back off a green but will plug a green or have my call within a foot of the Mark with every iron in my bag.

> > >

> >

> > 120X is love or hate depending on how you load the shaft. I hook the 120X but get along very well with the 130X. I still have my 785s, but am back to a set of J15CBs with modus 130x. Very tempted to reshaft my z785s to try the $taper 130x

>

> $Taper 130X is so smooth and got rid of my left miss. Have to see how it performs over time on course but it is a VERY nice feeling shaft. Modus 120x was nice for me but if you get aggressive it can be loose directionally for me.

Yeah I have hit the full Mp20 line with the $taper 130x. First day was off grass without a LM, 2nd time indoors with a GC quad. Got the best numbers with the MMC and $Taper 130x. Ever so slightly firmer feeling than my J15cbs but over all shaft feel seems quite similar (in a good way). I have some proshop credit so might need to snag a set

> @MillerLowLife said:

> Anyone come from MB's playing these? I'm worried about the lower spin numbers (videos from youtube) but going to pull the trigger on the set regardless. Wondering if 1* weak lofts might help a bit on spin numbers but dont want to mess with the V sole too much. Thoughts?

You can weaken with no issue in vsole. Spin will be a big difference coming from MBs depending on your swing.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @MillerLowLife said:

> > Anyone come from MB's playing these? I'm worried about the lower spin numbers (videos from youtube) but going to pull the trigger on the set regardless. Wondering if 1* weak lofts might help a bit on spin numbers but dont want to mess with the V sole too much. Thoughts?

>

> You can weaken with no issue in vsole. Spin will be a big difference coming from MBs depending on your swing.

>

That’s what I’m wondering on and if the weakening the loft will help a bit.

> @MillerLowLife said:

> Anyone come from MB's playing these? I'm worried about the lower spin numbers (videos from youtube) but going to pull the trigger on the set regardless. Wondering if 1* weak lofts might help a bit on spin numbers but dont want to mess with the V sole too much. Thoughts?

I came from a combo with blades up to 8i.

I swapped the shafts from my previous set (Nippon Modus 120) into my 785s and I haven't noticed any loss in spin in the shorter clubs. For that matter I was still getting pretty good stopping power on the longer clubs too but I've always been a pretty high spin player.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @balls_deep said:

> > @COmedic said:

> > > @balls_deep said:

> > > > @COmedic said:

> > > > Heading in tomorrow to rehit all the modus shafts they have. Only bummer is they only have a simulator and no real launch monitor. Looked like I was hitting beautiful straight shots with the AMTs but three days on the course has shown a massive draw that I’ve never had with any other set of clubs.

> > >

> > > What sim were you on? I fought a draw with them as well even with the lie flattened. Compared directly to some others in the same session which I was not having issues with.

> >

> > I’m not sure what simulator it is but will find out today. I’m most excited about trying the 120x shafts, but am trying to keep an open mind and compare it to the 125s or x and 130s. I’m a medium spin, medium to high hitter. I never spin balls back off a green but will plug a green or have my call within a foot of the Mark with every iron in my bag.

> >

>

> My issue with Srixons in general (and this is my issue, not an issue with the clubs themselves) is that I don't spin them enough. The strange thing about this is that I fight spin with my current irons. My peak height is usually around 38-40 with 50 descent on a 7 iron and good spin. I usually rip the ball backwards with mid to long irons even downwind. I played in a gale last week with 40mph gusts and I hit a straight downwind 7 iron 195-200 and it came back about 3 feet. Into wind it was balloon city. This meant I thought Srixon would be a great option but I end up flying greens. Need to find a happy medium. Just picked up my set of MP20 MB with KBS $Taper 130x which I will be trying out. Only irons I've hit this year that are softer than the Srixons.

I had the same issue in that the spin and ball flight were just too low. The irons had good feel to them though.

> @MillerLowLife said:

I was playing the 945 blades before, but with Recoil proto 95 F5s, I have regular Recoil 95 F5s in my 785s. To be honest, I can't see much difference, mabye a bit of a more of a sense of a kick/load with my current irons/shafts vs the protos maybe. But perhaps the Recoils in general spin more vs comparable steel, and may be a good pair with the Srixon's. I used to play the , C Taper 120s several years ago, and my guess that they might not pair well at all with the 785s if low spin is your concern.

WITB

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I think this will be a good test for me. I really like how the iron feels/looks, I think I'll get an even better feel once I get to actually play them on grass. I'm moving into the x100 which is a much more consistent shaft for me, so another win. It probably will be a touch difference coming from MB's but I'm also getting more forgiveness and I doubt the spin is going to be so low to the point that I can't stop an 8i on a green. I liked the numbers I got at the big box store but the demo head kept coming loose so I didn't completely trust the numbers I was getting. I'll probably order them 1* upright and stock loft then adjust from there once I'm actually able to play several rounds in the spring with them. If it is a failed experiment I'll at least know a combo set w/ MB's is probably the route I should go. I may pick up a true wedge and replace the PW in the set.

Though, I soon wont have any Mizuno clubs to match my Mizuno bag..... excuse to buy a new stand bag??

• Like 1

Look at spin and shot apex and dial in from there. The very best way to increase spin is to weaken the loft a degree and see how that works. If shot apex is still in the 90 foot range, you’re good. It will not cause any issue with the v-sole. Next would be shaft profile. Strike location is the X factor and can produce a wide range of spin numbers. I’ve not had low spin with any Srixon iron, I’m typically trying to keep it down. I like the 965/765 shape the most. I also like the JDM-released 725, the one before they added the v-soles with the 745.

Have played various Srixon heads with C Taper Lite, Project X Rifles (best distance with those two) and Modus 120 (a decent shaft, but flight is really high and they’re easy to overcook left; I am not as much a Nippon enthusiast as others but I like the 125.) They stop on a dime with all of them. The 785 is a slightly smaller profile from the 765, but doesn’t spin any differently for me than a Ping S55 or a Mizzy MP59. Almost exactly the same numbers.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

> @Mike_C said:

> > @MillerLowLife said:

> > Anyone come from MB's playing these? I'm worried about the lower spin numbers (videos from youtube) but going to pull the trigger on the set regardless. Wondering if 1* weak lofts might help a bit on spin numbers but dont want to mess with the V sole too much. Thoughts?

>

> I was playing the 945 blades before, but with Recoil proto 95 F5s, I have regular Recoil 95 F5s in my 785s. To be honest, I can't see much difference, mabye a bit of a more of a sense of a kick/load with my current irons/shafts vs the protos maybe. But perhaps the Recoils in general spin more vs comparable steel, and may be a good pair with the Srixon's. I used to play the , C Taper 120s several years ago, and my guess that they might not pair well at all with the 785s if low spin is your concern.

> @dmeeksDC said:

> Look at spin and shot apex and dial in from there. The very best way to increase spin is to weaken the loft a degree and see how that works. If shot apex is still in the 90 foot range, you’re good. It will not cause any issue with the v-sole. Next would be shaft profile. Strike location is the X factor and can produce a wide range of spin numbers. I’ve not had low spin with any Srixon iron, I’m typically trying to keep it down. I like the 965/765 shape the most. I also like the JDM-released 725, the one before they added the v-soles with the 745.

>

> Have played various Srixon heads with C Taper Lite, Project X Rifles (best distance with those two) and Modus 120 (a decent shaft, but flight is really high and they’re easy to overcook left; I am not as much a Nippon enthusiast as others but I like the 125.) They stop on a dime with all of them. The 785 is a slightly smaller profile from the 765, but doesn’t spin any differently for me than a Ping S55 or a Mizzy MP59. Almost exactly the same numbers.

Great thoughts but curious as the why the Z765 shape is more appealing to you? Just discussing.....nothing more!

Ive had my 785s for about 10 rounds. I really like them for all the reasons noted above. I came across a set of backup blades that I couldn't pass up on. However, the new blades are awesome and just might mean I have to part with the 785s. Srixon makes some underrated irons.

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

> @LowAndLeft32 said:

> Ive had my 785s for about 10 rounds. I really like them for all the reasons noted above. I came across a set of backup blades that I couldn't pass up on. However, the new blades are awesome and just might mean I have to part with the 785s. Srixon makes some underrated irons.

I second this

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

> @puttingmatt said:

> For those that purchased a combo set, where did you make the cut off between the the 785 and the 585 ,

I went with 4 and 5 in the 585 and 6-p in z785. Only had to bend the 5 iron 1 degree weak and figured if I was 180+ out I would prefer a little more help but anything inside that number I'm confident in the smaller package.

> @Haber said:

>

> > @puttingmatt said:

> > For those that purchased a combo set, where did you make the cut off between the the 785 and the 585 ,

>

> I went with 4 and 5 in the 585 and 6-p in z785. Only had to bend the 5 iron 1 degree weak and figured if I was 180+ out I would prefer a little more help but anything inside that number I'm confident in the smaller package.

I thought about that, then decided to go all 785's

5 through pw. May go 585 in 4 iron, at later date .

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I pulled the trigger on the set of z785's. Pretty excited to try something new after playing MB's for the past 5 years. Still worried about the spin rates and how consistent they'll be on strikes. I will say that the dispersion on a demo I hit seemed to be pretty consistent and you could throw a blanket over my strikes. Has me hopeful. I also for whatever reason, look down at the z785 and feel like I don't have to try and as hard could contribute to my consistency. It's unfortunate that the season is over here in Utah but I'm heading to Vegas in mid November and hopefully will get a round of golf and range time in. Definitely going to keep this thread updated on how this transition goes.

• Like 1

> @gmacgolfer78 said:

> Ive heard quite a bit that these clubs have a tendancy to go left?

> Anyone find that?

>

> They look perfect to me.

>

>

They were quite draw bias for me even when I tried the flat demo head. My theory is that they are a huge hit because a lot of guys swing out to in and therefore fight the fade and spin. These are draw bias and low spin for me.

> @gmacgolfer78 said:

> Ive heard quite a bit that these clubs have a tendancy to go left?

> Anyone find that?

>

> They look perfect to me.

>

>

Not for me, but I do order mine flat 1 degree....

WITB

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV