My experience stripping my brand new black Vokeys

Allergic2Birdies ·  
Allergic2BirdiesAllergic2Birdies Members  70WRX Points: 44Posts: 70 Bunkers

I have always been one who is a huge fan of the raw wedge look. Yet being a college student, I can't really afford the extra $$$ Vokey charges for raw wedges. I decided I wanted to strip my new black SM7s with CLR. So far the results are really good. I included some pictures below. With my first attempt, I didn't get enough CLR to cover the whole wedge (you can see the line pretty well on them). I put the wedges in there for about 30 minutes and just scrubbed them w a normal rag. I have yet to play with them and will get more CLR. I still have to soak them more to get rid of the black on the hosel. Looking to get that complete raw look w the black paint fill.

Interested to hear about any of our experiences with stripping a finish of a wedge/iron or what techniques you guys use. Will post pictures and updates.

Posted:
Post edited by Allergic2Birdies on
Tagged:

Comments

• Crooksc17Crooksc17 NJMembers  916WRX Points: 100Handicap: 5Posts: 916 Golden Tee

Scotchbrite pad instead of a rag will do the trick

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • lookylookitzadamlookylookitzadam SoCalMembers  625WRX Points: 229Handicap: 2.7Posts: 625 Golden Tee

I did mine with vinegar and a scotchbrite. They are super rusty now and will try and post pictures soon.

Posted:
  • brickhouzebrickhouze Members  5WRX Points: 27Handicap: 8Posts: 5 Bunkers

I did mine in vinegar and scrubbed with a sponge. Rust is coming slowly - tempted to force it with a salt water bath, but I don't want an unnatural look.

Posted:
  • DaltonSTLDaltonSTL St. LouisMembers  1050WRX Points: 109Handicap: 6Posts: 1,050 Platinum Tees

On -, @brickhouze said:

I did mine in vinegar and scrubbed with a sponge. Rust is coming slowly - tempted to force it with a salt water bath, but I don't want an unnatural look.

What sort of sponge did you use to achieve that brushed look?

Posted:
    -M5 9* AD TP 6s
    -M5 14* Rogue Black 110msi 70ts
    -818H2 19* Speeder 8.8s 
    -MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX LZ 6.0
    -SM7 50* 54* 58* PX LZ 6.0
    -Scotty Golo 5 33"

Scotch Brite Heavy Duty Scour Pad. I tried to scrub back and forth versus scrubbing in small circles

Posted:
  • PoolpartyPoolparty Members  605WRX Points: 115Posts: 605 Golden Tee

On -, @brickhouze said:

Those look great!

Delponcho, try using barkeepers friend. I use it to clean my clubs and it works great, but I mistakenly found out it strips the black off black vokeys

Posted:
    Stiff

Advertisement
  • Allergic2BirdiesAllergic2Birdies Members  70WRX Points: 44Posts: 70 Bunkers

This is the finished product. I got some more CLR tonight to cover the rest of the hosel and used a Scotch-Brite pad.

I'm telling you guys, use CLR. That stuff is a miracle worker. I had mine in there less than an hour and it did great. I highly recommend getting the jet black sm7s and doing this instead of the basic raw vokeys.

Posted:
    Post edited by Allergic2Birdies on
  • buntabunta Members  795WRX Points: 461Posts: 795 Golden Tee

Can i strip "Tour Chrome" sm7s ?? i feel left out of all the fun.

Posted:
    TS3 / 785 / SM7 / Juno
  • COmedicCOmedic Members  165WRX Points: 65Posts: 165 Fairways

Anybody know if the Cleveland RTX 4 black satin finish would strip the same way? Just received my new set and am really loving the stripped look on those Vokeys!

Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13837WRX Points: 1,379Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,837 Titanium Tees

On -, @bunta said:

Can i strip "Tour Chrome" sm7s ?? i feel left out of all the fun.

Nope. Not without some dangerous chemicals. Chrome is designed to protect from rusting.

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • adam2883adam2883 Members  324WRX Points: 68Handicap: +3Posts: 324 Greens

On -, @brickhouze said:

How long did you soak them in vinegar and any particualr type of vinegar? I've done the CLR soaking before in the past but really love the color yours turned out, been doing the raw wedge work orders the last few years but getting tired of spending that extra money.

Posted:
    Driver: Tour Issue 8.5* Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Black 7X
    3 Wood: Tour Issue Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7X
    Hybrid: Gen. 1 PXG 17* w/ TBD
    Irons: Taylormade UDI 3 iron w/ Tour AD IZ 95X
    Ping iBlades-Orange Dot - 4-PW w/ Project X 6.5  
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 RAW 52-58 w/Project X 6.0 Blackout
    Putter: Blacked out Toulon Las Vegas

Bullpen: Custom Slighter Prototype Tacoma
                  Ping Sigma Tyne 2

Short games don't matter if you hit better approach shots

Advertisement

I soaked them in distilled white vinegar for maybe 30 minutes then scrubbed. I did that soak/scrub process maybe 4x.

Posted:
  • ForTourUseOnlyForTourUseOnly Circle T Members  1189WRX Points: 200Posts: 1,189 Platinum Tees

Cleaning grade vinegar that can be bought in the cleaning supply section of a grocery store is the easiest.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 TX
    Titleist TS3 15° w/ Fujikura Ventus 8-X, 915Fd 18° w/ Fujikura Ventus 9-X
    Titleist U·500 3i, CNCPT-02 4i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold TI X100
    Vokey BV HandGround SM7 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F, 54.10S, 60.08M w/ DG TI
    Scotty Cameron Roundback Select Tour Black 1.5 Weld Neck A-047769
    WITB Link
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers  9039WRX Points: 2,685Posts: 9,039 Titanium Tees

The works toilet bowl cleaner works as well, much stronger acid. Just dont leave an open container out in the garage, it will rest every steel surface (ask me how I know!)

Posted:
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers  1358WRX Points: 808Handicap: 11.1Posts: 1,358 Platinum Tees

All those raw wedges are looking sweet!

OP, please post another updated pic when you finish the job of scrubbing the wedges down with green Scotchbrite till the surface is smooth, takes 5 mins.. leave the face though.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0         Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood        whatevers stock                 Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                 HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0         Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                       DG S300                            Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 52.12F (bent to 49.09)DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 56.10S                          DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 60.12D                          DG S400                            Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5  34" loft 6.5                        Pistolini Plus  
    Titleist PROV1                                   ball
    Kirkland sig                                       glove 
    FJ rain glove                                     glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.