Thoughts/Changes to this itinerary? (Ireland)

mci711

> @puttnforthe8 said:

> > @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> > Has anyone played Kilkee? I was thinking it might be a fun cheap second round on the way from Ballybunion to Lahinch.

>

> It is pretty much that. Great property. Course is flat and straightforward.

Ya I could never be arsed to play it when passing through, it struck me as one of those places, where for my own personal tastes, I'd be better off going on a 2/3hr hike then looping it. Nice as an option for locals and holidayers at all the surrounding caravan parks though.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the response. Any feelings on the Cashen after a morning 18 on the Old? Or would I be better off doing a 3 hour hike?

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> Thanks for the response. Any feelings on the Cashen after a morning 18 on the Old? Or would I be better off doing a 3 hour hike?

I am really not a fan of the Cashen course, but if you've not played it before it's worth a play to decide for yourself whether it's your cup of tea or not, as there are some good par 3s on it.

But after playing it a handful of times over the year I am done with it, I'd either play a 2nd round on the main course or go for a walk along the beach :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> Thanks for the response. Any feelings on the Cashen after a morning 18 on the Old? Or would I be better off doing a 3 hour hike?

Depends how tired you are. Cashen is fun, demanding, severe, and lots of up and down. Many people don't like it, but its fun if you take the right approach.

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

I treat the Cashen like a mobile driving range. As a course, it doesn't really work because the terrain is too severe. There are many opportunities to lose golf balls with shots that aren't bad and the walk is dreadful. If you take a cart, try to grab a few beers and just enjoy hitting the shots you want to hit in beautiful surroundings then the Cashen is great. The Cashen was designed by an American so it is ony fitting to play it like an American B)

Ciao

My Dad, Brother and I have settled on a June Sunday - Sunday trip to the Southwest. Looks like this:

Sunday: Arrive Early AM to Shannon, Play Beaufort, See Ring of Kerry from Killorglin to Waterville, Overnight in Waterville

Monday: Play Waterville, See Ring of Kerry from Waterville to Killarney, Overnight in Tralee

Tuesday: Play Tralee, Play 9 at Ballyheigue Castle, Overnight in Tralee

Wednesday: Play Dingle, See Slea Head Drive, Overnight in Tralee

Thursday: Play Ballybunion Old, See Kilkee Cliffs or Play Kilkee, Overnight in Lahinch

Friday: Play Lahinch Old, See Burren Coastal Route, Overnight in Lahinch

Saturday: Play Dromoland Castle, See Cliffs of Moher

Sunday: Depart Early PM from Shannon

2024 Bag

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> My Dad, Brother and I have settled on a June Sunday - Sunday trip to the Southwest. Looks like this:

>

> Sunday: Arrive Early AM to Shannon, Play Beaufort, See Ring of Kerry from Killorglin to Waterville, Overnight in Waterville

I'm sure you'll have a great time, but that first day seems a little aggressive. After an overnight flight, you'll get your car, drive 2 hours, play 18 holes of golf, drive another hour over some very challenging roads (yes, its 30 miles or so, but it WILL take an hour), and finally get to your lodging. I'm not saying don't do it, but be careful, stay awake, and stay safe.

I had originally planned on just staying in Tralee the whole time we are in Kerry, but thought we'd have a better shot of seeing more of the stops along the Ring if we stayed out in Waterville for the night.

2024 Bag

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> I had originally planned on just staying in Tralee the whole time we are in Kerry, but thought we'd have a better shot of seeing more of the stops along the Ring if we stayed out in Waterville for the night.

>

If you really want to make a few stops along the Ring, you might consider dropping the golf on the first day, and just drive to Waterville. You could go down along the southern side, through Killarney, Molls Gap, Kenmare, a total of maybe 4 hours driving. This is a lot, but if you have two or three drivers its possible. My wife and I drove from Shannon to Ballyliffin on our arrival day a few years ago without too much trouble. You could then go back north along the other side of the peninsula, through Killorgin.

That's a pretty good idea too. We have plenty of rounds ahead of us for the week, so taking the first day off wouldn't hurt anything. That's why I like posting ideas on here. Thanks Dave.

2024 Bag

Any thoughts on playing Dooks over Dingle? That's the one round that I'm not 100% set on.

2024 Bag

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> Any thoughts on playing Dooks over Dingle? That's the one round that I'm not 100% set on.

Dooks is the far better course and such a unique links course; Dingle comes with the town and a few other things(food, pubs, music), which can be a better overall experience. So if you only care about golf - then Dooks. If you have time to spend and want more than just golf, then Dingle.

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> Any thoughts on playing Dooks over Dingle? That's the one round that I'm not 100% set on.

Have you checked out the Shamrock Pass? I am planning a similar trip the last week of April. I was looking at that pass since it included Dooks and Dingle plus Killarney at a discounted rate. Not sure if you could logistically play Dooks and Dingle in the same day.

> @gotaholen1 said:

> Has anyone tried to go from say Lahinch up to Carne? Trying to decide if it** makes more sense **on a 7 day trip to head up that way for a day or two before driving back to Dublin.

Its hard to say whether it makes more sense without knowing what your other option would be. However, I did stay at Enniscrone, and played Enniscrone and Carne on a trip a few years back. Both were excellent courses, really dramatic dunes, reasonably priced and very welcoming. Its only a 3 hour drive from Lahinch, or less, so you could make the drive after golf one day. The drive to Dublin looks to be pretty similar from either Enniscrone or Lahinch.

> @gotaholen1 said:

> > Any thoughts on playing Dooks over Dingle? That's the one round that I'm not 100% set on.

>

> Have you checked out the Shamrock Pass? I am planning a similar trip the last week of April. I was looking at that pass since it included Dooks and Dingle plus Killarney at a discounted rate. Not sure if you could logistically play Dooks and Dingle in the same day.

I have seen the Shamrock Pass on SWINGs website. Dooks, Dingle and Mahony's Point at Killarney starting at 160 euro sounded like a great deal. I didn't contact them about it, but I know their other deals tend to be for off-season only. I'm sure that's why they throw the "From _____" in there.

2024 Bag

> @davep043 said:

> > @gotaholen1 said:

> > Has anyone tried to go from say Lahinch up to Carne? Trying to decide if it** makes more sense **on a 7 day trip to head up that way for a day or two before driving back to Dublin.

>

> Its hard to say whether it makes more sense without knowing what your other option would be. However, I did stay at Enniscrone, and played Enniscrone and Carne on a trip a few years back. Both were excellent courses, really dramatic dunes, reasonably priced and very welcoming. Its only a 3 hour drive from Lahinch, or less, so you could make the drive after golf one day. The drive to Dublin looks to be pretty similar from either Enniscrone or Lahinch.

You could:

Play Lahinch, Overnight in Ballina

Play 27 at Carne, Overnight in Ballina

Play Enniscrone, Overnight in Ballina or drive to Dublin

If staying, Play County Sligo and then drive to Dublin

The drive from Lahinch to Mayo is packed full of incredible sights. It is definitely worth adding a little time and driving up the coastal route in the Burren. It is truly unique.

2024 Bag

> @"ajgoodal.704" said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @gotaholen1 said:

> > > Has anyone tried to go from say Lahinch up to Carne? Trying to decide if it** makes more sense **on a 7 day trip to head up that way for a day or two before driving back to Dublin.

> >

> > Its hard to say whether it makes more sense without knowing what your other option would be. However, I did stay at Enniscrone, and played Enniscrone and Carne on a trip a few years back. Both were excellent courses, really dramatic dunes, reasonably priced and very welcoming. Its only a 3 hour drive from Lahinch, or less, so you could make the drive after golf one day. The drive to Dublin looks to be pretty similar from either Enniscrone or Lahinch.

>

> You could:

>

> Play Lahinch, Overnight in Ballina

> Play 27 at Carne, Overnight in Ballina

> Play Enniscrone, Overnight in Ballina or drive to Dublin

> If staying, Play County Sligo and then drive to Dublin

>

> The drive from Lahinch to Mayo is packed full of incredible sights. It is definitely worth adding a little time and driving up the coastal route in the Burren. It is truly unique.

Thanks! This helps a lot. Since we get in at like 10AM, we can drive to Sligo from Dublin and get in a round in the afternoon as it is much closer than trying to get to somewhere southwest. I think we have roughly decided on Sligo, Carne, Enniscrone, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Dooks, and Tralee.

Now we have to decide if we go with a driver or do 3 rental cars.

> @gotaholen1 said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @gotaholen1 said:

> > > > Has anyone tried to go from say Lahinch up to Carne? Trying to decide if it** makes more sense **on a 7 day trip to head up that way for a day or two before driving back to Dublin.

> > >

> > > Its hard to say whether it makes more sense without knowing what your other option would be. However, I did stay at Enniscrone, and played Enniscrone and Carne on a trip a few years back. Both were excellent courses, really dramatic dunes, reasonably priced and very welcoming. Its only a 3 hour drive from Lahinch, or less, so you could make the drive after golf one day. The drive to Dublin looks to be pretty similar from either Enniscrone or Lahinch.

> >

> > You could:

> >

> > Play Lahinch, Overnight in Ballina

> > Play 27 at Carne, Overnight in Ballina

> > Play Enniscrone, Overnight in Ballina or drive to Dublin

> > If staying, Play County Sligo and then drive to Dublin

> >

> > The drive from Lahinch to Mayo is packed full of incredible sights. It is definitely worth adding a little time and driving up the coastal route in the Burren. It is truly unique.

>

> Thanks! This helps a lot. Since we get in at like 10AM, we can drive to Sligo from Dublin and get in a round in the afternoon as it is much closer than trying to get to somewhere southwest. I think we have roughly decided on Sligo, Carne, Enniscrone, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Dooks, and Tralee.

>

> Now we have to decide if we go with a driver or do 3 rental cars.

That sounds like a great trip. If you need that many rental cars, you will probably be better off with a coach & driver. I like the freedom of driving myself, IMO it adds to the experience, but if going with 6 or more guys it would probably make more sense to get a coach. Just for the sake of discussion, your itinarary could look something like this:

Day 1 - Arrive in Dublin 10AM, Play County Sligo 3-4PM, Overnight in Sligo/Ballina

Day 2 - Play Carne (27), Overnight in Sligo/Ballina

Day 3 - Play Enniscrone AM, Overnight in Lahinch/Ennistimon

Day 4 - Play Lahinch Old AM, Overnight in Killarney/Tralee

Day 5 - Play Ballybunion Old, Overnight in Killarney/Tralee

Day 6 - Play Dooks, Overnight in Killarney/Tralee

Day 7 - Play Tralee AM, Overnight in Dublin

Day 8 - Depart Dublin

2024 Bag