McCord and Kostis not Returning to CBS

Holy Moses

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> CBS just made a statement. Kostis and McCord are being replaced by a dear friend that CBS loves - commercials.

Thank God. Their broadcasts need more commercials.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Would love to see Scott Van Pelt get back into announcing golf but doubt that he'd leave the Mothership.

>

> So then I'll go with Hawkeye and Tony Romo.

LOL - I don't have a voice for radio or looks for TV but if I did I think I'd want a gig at NBC so I could hang and barbecue with Roger - actually they should have you and Roger do kind of a golf/grilling back patio segment, Mrs. Pelz and her mother could be assistants ala The Price is Right.

• Like 1

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Would love to see Scott Van Pelt get back into announcing golf but doubt that he'd leave the Mothership.

> >

> > So then I'll go with Hawkeye and Tony Romo.

>

> LOL - I don't have a voice for radio or looks for TV but if I did I think I'd want a gig at NBC so I could hang and barbecue with Roger - actually they should have you and Roger do kind of a golf/grilling back patio segment, Mrs. Pelz and her mother could be assistants ala The Price is Right.

I remember the rumors that Roger and Gary were retiring too, but nothing came of it.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The current version of Gary McCord had become a parody. But when Gary first started, he was very good. Refreshing and humorous, he brought a new style to golf broadcasts which were incredibly stiff.

I like Gary a lot. Kostis was OK. There is a "use by date" in many vocations. It was time for them to move on.

• Like 1

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Would love to see Scott Van Pelt get back into announcing golf but doubt that he'd leave the Mothership.

> >

> > So then I'll go with Hawkeye and Tony Romo.

>

> LOL - I don't have a voice for radio or looks for TV but if I did I think I'd want a gig at NBC so I could hang and barbecue with Roger - actually they should have you and Roger do kind of a golf/grilling back patio segment, Mrs. Pelz and her mother could be assistants ala The Price is Right.

As Mrs. Pelz mother often says, "You have the perfect face for radio." Lovely woman.

• Like 2

I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

• Like 1

years ago McCord served as a useful purpose loosening up the booth, but his best are behind him and there are better at it now. Kostis never added much as far as im concerned. Would just say vague sounding things like "wide to narrow to wide" which served no useful purpose in helping someone swing it better

• Like 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

>

> I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

>

> I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @redfirebird08 said:

> I assume Dottie moves into Peter's spot. Amanda moves into Dottie's spot. And they grab Nobilo for McCord's spot. Nobilo already helps them for Masters broadcasts due to McCord's ban at Augusta.

I think Amanda is great, but she's better suited in her current role. She's a great interviewer and does that job well. Don't know if she knows enough on-course to be walking with the players. Dottie walking with the final group is a good call and so is Nobilo. They still need one more replacement. One of the Immelmans?

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @redfirebird08 said:

> > I assume Dottie moves into Peter's spot. Amanda moves into Dottie's spot. And they grab Nobilo for McCord's spot. Nobilo already helps them for Masters broadcasts due to McCord's ban at Augusta.

>

>

> I think Amanda is great, but she's better suited in her current role. She's a great interviewer and does that job well. Don't know if she knows enough on-course to be walking with the players. Dottie walking with the final group is a good call and so is Nobilo. They still need one more replacement. One of the Immelmans?

Immelman brothers are a good option for sure. I believe one of them has been on CBS in the past as a substitute.

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> >

> > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> >

> > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

>

> There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

>

>

Hopefully he'd be more Pat Sumerall and less Bob Trumpy.

• Like 1

I've missed Gary for years now. The schtick got old long ago. Peter is very reliable. Just gives the facts as he sees them.

I think CBS golf coverage as a whole has become very outdated. I find myself watching less and less of their broadcast.

Monty would be good.

Give a bunch of people tryout. They need new blood.

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > I'll miss Gary McCord. He's one of my favorite tower announcers ever, right up there with Ben Wright.

> >

> > I agree that Tony Romo will be a replacement. Although he still needs to sign a new deal with CBS for football. That ends after this season.

> >

> > I assume Kostis wasn't renewed because the Konica Minolta Bizhub can now talk.

>

> There's no way that Romo gets the gig even though a hire like that might bring more non-traditional golfers to the CBS telecast. As good as he is in the NFL on CBS booth and as a golfer, he doesn't know enough about the Tour and on-course commentating to get that job.

>

>

That didn't stop former NFL tight end Bob Trumpy from calling golf on NBC back in the day. Or Vin Scully. Or Jim Lampley. If CBS wants to keep Romo and Romo wants to do golf as part of it he will. Especially since Romo is tight with Jim Nantz.

> @MountainGoat said:

> I wouldn't be surprised to see CBS pull out of golf entirely. The new PGA/LPGA TV contract will rely heavily on streaming. They'll keep the Masters, of course, but that'll pretty much be it.

Golf ratings might not be as high as the NBA or the NFL, but they bring wealthy viewers to the telecast and advertisers want their eyes

• Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'd like to see Colt Knost get hired. Not sure of his playing status but he filled in an event or two and was really good.

Beem would also be good, I'm assuming Dottie does move into a tower and the new hire(s) would be on course.

In the Bag:

Driver: 10.5 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 60

Fairway Wood: 15 Epic Speed Graphite Design AD-ITZ 70

Fairway Wood: 19 Epic Flash Tensei Blue 75

Irons: Apex Pro '19 4-AW, Aerotech Steelfiber 95

Wedges: 54 MD4 and 58 '19 PM Grind 

Grips: Tour Velvet Jumbo

Putter: Odyssey MXM 9 HT

Balls: Chrome soft Triple Track

Too bad that both McCord and Kostic aren't returning but they're both getting up in years and probably didn't want to do it any longer and/ or CBS is changing their broadcasts. The bigger issue is that CBS needs to change their broadcasts overall - show more golf and less commercials. And by golf I mean swings and not just putts. They seem to show only 2-3 shots and then go to a commercial. It's horrible coverage overall and yet they show most of the tournaments in the middle of the season. I hope they upgrade their whole coverage style to show golf and not commercials with a little golf in between. Good luck to McCord and Kostis moving forward too.

• Like 1

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > I wouldn't be surprised to see CBS pull out of golf entirely. The new PGA/LPGA TV contract will rely heavily on streaming. They'll keep the Masters, of course, but that'll pretty much be it.

>

> Golf ratings might not be as high as the NBA or the NFL, but they bring wealthy viewers to the telecast and advertisers want their eyes

I agree. It's all about the eyes of people with money. My comment relates to the new TV contract that's currently being negotiated. The Tour (in partnership with the LPGA) seems to want a broadcast partner that offers a commercial channel, a cable channel and heavy streaming availability. Next year's TPC is a model for that. That event is an NBC/Golf Channel/Livestream product. The Masters is a similar model, but they handle their own streaming. CBS streaming is still in its infancy. In a lot of respects ABC is a stronger potential suitor than CBS, because they've already got an established ABC/ESPN partnership plus the ESPN+ streaming service. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @redfirebird08 said:

> > I assume Dottie moves into Peter's spot. Amanda moves into Dottie's spot. And they grab Nobilo for McCord's spot. Nobilo already helps them for Masters broadcasts due to McCord's ban at Augusta.

>

>

>** I think Amanda is great, but she's better suited in her current role. She's a great interviewer and does that job well.** Don't know if she knows enough on-course to be walking with the players. Dottie walking with the final group is a good call and so is Nobilo. They still need one more replacement. One of the Immelmans?

Agreed with this. Not many does it better than Amanda at interviewing.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"