Mizuno MP 20 MMC vs MP 20 HMB

GolfNPizza2

Not sure if this has been discussed in a forum already (apologies if it has), but was curious if anyone has comparisons of the two. I have been seeing much more feedback and what seems to be purchases of the HMB compared to the MMC. I haven't hit either but was initially way more interested in the MMC than I was the HMB. Does anyone have any input in comparisons of the two, and what setup you compared them?

I haven't hit either, but this handy chart from Mizuno's Europe site will at least help compare the differences in loft, offset, blade length, sole/topline width, etc.

https://golf.mizunoeurope.com/irons-comparison-table/

The HMB has almost the exact same dimensions as the 919 Forged. The weight distribution (perimeter, vertical COG, etc.) is likely different, however.

I believe the HMB will be more popular because of aesthetics, not just with the iron itself but with the ability to blend with the MP-20.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I hit both in fitting. Feel was comparable. Top line of the HMB was a bit thicker.

Main difference was launch. The HMB launched significantly higher than the MMC. Way too high for me. Went with the MMC.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 60 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 15° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Cobra LTDx 19° - KBS PGI 85 S

Irons: MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F), SM9 (54.14F, 58.08M) - KBS Tour S (50), TT Dynamic Gold S300 (54, 58)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Flow Neck - KBS CT Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @SecondShot said:

> I hit both in fitting. Feel was comparable. Top line of the HMB was a bit thicker.

> Main difference was launch. The HMB launched significantly higher than the MMC. Way too high for me. Went with the MMC.

Exactly my thoughts.

The HMB was chunkier at address, but both felt great.

I hit a high ball already and liked the lower flight the MMC was giving me.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I want to do a full fitting with all 3 models.

> @aquapig said:

> > @SecondShot said:

> > I hit both in fitting. Feel was comparable. Top line of the HMB was a bit thicker.

> > Main difference was launch. The HMB launched significantly higher than the MMC. Way too high for me. Went with the MMC.

>

> Exactly my thoughts.

>

> The HMB was chunkier at address, but both felt great.

>

> I hit a high ball already and liked the lower flight the MMC was giving me.

>

> I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I want to do a full fitting with all 3 models.

If you have a very high ball flight, you will most likely adore the MBs as I did. As im a lefty, I could only try the 7 iron MP-20Mb, but compared to many other models (including P790, T-100,T-200, etc), the MBs surprisingly were the most consistent and also the longest of them all, mainly because of 3 degrees lower of launch angle (21 vs 24-25)

> @herbert7890 said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > > @SecondShot said:

> > > I hit both in fitting. Feel was comparable. Top line of the HMB was a bit thicker.

> > > Main difference was launch. The HMB launched significantly higher than the MMC. Way too high for me. Went with the MMC.

> >

> > Exactly my thoughts.

> >

> > The HMB was chunkier at address, but both felt great.

> >

> > I hit a high ball already and liked the lower flight the MMC was giving me.

> >

> > I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I want to do a full fitting with all 3 models.

>

> If you have a very high ball flight, you will most likely adore the MBs as I did. As im a lefty, I could only try the 7 iron MP-20Mb, but compared to many other models (including P790, T-100,T-200, etc), the MBs surprisingly were the most consistent and also the longest of them all, mainly because of 3 degrees lower of launch angle (21 vs 24-25)

Thanks.

I'm thinking about MBs P-8 and 7-4 MMC.

I really just need to go somewhere I can hit them all on grass.

I told myself I'd never buy another set of irons without testing them on grass first.

Do you find the other models to be much more forgiving than the MBs?

> @aquapig said:

> > @herbert7890 said:

> > > @aquapig said:

> > > > @SecondShot said:

> > > > I hit both in fitting. Feel was comparable. Top line of the HMB was a bit thicker.

> > > > Main difference was launch. The HMB launched significantly higher than the MMC. Way too high for me. Went with the MMC.

> > >

> > > Exactly my thoughts.

> > >

> > > The HMB was chunkier at address, but both felt great.

> > >

> > > I hit a high ball already and liked the lower flight the MMC was giving me.

> > >

> > > I haven't pulled the trigger yet as I want to do a full fitting with all 3 models.

> >

> > If you have a very high ball flight, you will most likely adore the MBs as I did. As im a lefty, I could only try the 7 iron MP-20Mb, but compared to many other models (including P790, T-100,T-200, etc), the MBs surprisingly were the most consistent and also the longest of them all, mainly because of 3 degrees lower of launch angle (21 vs 24-25)

>

> Thanks.

>

> I'm thinking about MBs P-8 and 7-4 MMC.

>

> I really just need to go somewhere I can hit them all on grass.

>

> I told myself I'd never buy another set of irons without testing them on grass first.

>

> Do you find the other models to be much more forgiving than the MBs?

I actually own the T-200s right now (still within the 90 day Guarantee, thus the change to another set, hit them way too high) but I must say I felt I was actually hitting the Mp20 MBs much more consistently in the center and more solid than the T-200s by a good margin, which I could only attribute to my preference of smaller heads, since they frame perfectly in the center vs having like 3 inches of space in GI irons). One interesting fact is that the T-100s were horribly hard for me to hit for some reason, i mean like 20 yards shorter than the MBs, even on flushed hits and many diff shafts. Goes to show that Myth that every time a Blade will be shorter, this cant be farther from the truth. Also, kinda makes me want to try the Titleist 620 MB, but no lefty demo at my Edwin Watts.

• Like 1

Took advantage of my 90 Day Guarantee yesterday and returned T100’s.

Picked up the MP-20 MMC’s.

Have to disagree with one of the previous posters. I thought there was a significant difference in the feel of the MMC vs the HMB.

Huge advantage to the MMC’s in feel and trajectory. And very, very forgiving!

Played today, and just an incredible set of irons!

Thank you, Mizuno!!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

Can definitely tell the HMB is hollow, especially in the long irons. If I had to choose one or the other for a full set, the MMC would be it. Could see using the HMB 4 iron just for the extra elevation, but I really don’t need that in mid or short irons. MMC is more compact.

HMB is basically the same blade length as the 919F, but that is longer than I like. I actually like the MP18 MMC Fli-Hi better as a hollow iron choice because it has a nice compact look. I always liked the MP58 and 59. To me the tungsten co-forged into the middle of the head feels better than the hollow heads.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Having gamed the full set of HMBs for several rounds now I have to say this. I regret selling my MP 18 MMCs. I will be selling at least the 6-pw and add the blades. I may at some point end up with a full set of MMCs again. They are a freaking awesome iron that gets overlooked way to much.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

> @jetmech879 said:

> Having gamed the full set of HMBs for several rounds now I have to say this. I regret selling my MP 18 MMCs. I will be selling at least the 6-pw and add the blades. I may at some point end up with a full set of MMCs again. They are a freaking awesome iron that gets overlooked way to much.

What issues are you having with the HMB 6-PW?

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Too high of ball flight and inconsistent distances. I also have a mental issue with short irons that are to bulky. They do progressive get smaller but still just don’t feel like I strike them as well as I do the long irons in the set. Strange I know!

> @jetmech879 said:

> Too high of ball flight and inconsistent distances. I also have a mental issue with short irons that are to bulky. They do progressive get smaller but still just don’t feel like I strike them as well as I do the long irons in the set. Strange I know!

Not strange at all. Ended up going 3-6 HMB and 7-PW MB and haven't even hit them yet and am already thinking about getting a 5 and 6 MB, and keeping the 3 and 4 HMB. Pretty noticeable transition from the 7 MB to the 6 HMB.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tour 2.0 Black 65X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @jblough99 said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > Too high of ball flight and inconsistent distances. I also have a mental issue with short irons that are to bulky. They do progressive get smaller but still just don’t feel like I strike them as well as I do the long irons in the set. Strange I know!

>

> Not strange at all. Ended up going 3-6 HMB and 7-PW MB and haven't even hit them yet and am already thinking about getting a 5 and 6 MB, and keeping the 3 and 4 HMB. Pretty noticeable transition from the 7 MB to the 6 HMB.

That’s exactly why I went 6-pw with MBs. The transition from 5 HMB to 6 MB isn’t all that bad. And I am absolutely loving my 2, 4, and 5 in the HMBs.

> @Mattn1106 said:

> Inconsistent distances is a fear I have of the HMB. I currently game the MP18 SC and love everything about them except I feel I could use a little more forgiveness which makes me feel like the MMC might be awesome

I should have added this is my first experience with the modus 125 shafts so it could be a shaft thing. I’m going to rule something out when my MBs get here.

I agree with all the love for the MMC. Got fitted with the idea that I was going to get HMBs and it wasn't even close. Anyone have some feedback on the MMC 4 iron? I had absolutely no problem with launch/height with the 7 iron... and didn't get the opportunity to try the others.

I have just bagged the MP 20s combo of all 3. I'm good with my set-up. I'd be interested to try the MMC 6 and the MB 9 but day in day out, the HMB and MMC for each is probably the right call. I played my first round with my new set Thursday. Very first shot with 6 168 downhill approach, group in front of another single and me waved us up from the darn green (lol). They walked behind the green. Nothing like this ever occurred in all my years of playing, even with that added pressure I hit the HMB 6 perfect to 12' right pin high. Two-putted for par and moved on very satisfied. I like the HMBs through the bag but the chunkiness relative to the MMC, I wouldn't be comfortable playing short irons.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

• 3 months later...

I just tried the HMB’s with mixed results and I expected to love them. Coming from P790 which may be a tough bar to beat I am learning. I realized the HMB may not be as long as the P790 but I felt like I hit the HMB plenty high with good feel. The issue was the digging I got on most shots, which I wasn’t used to dealing with. Is that an MP grind thing, are they particularly narrow? I literally had to worry about not chunking most every shot, something I am not used to honestly. I parted with the set quickly but find that I am partly regretting it. Struck the P790 just fine today just missed the feel. Essentially I was hoping to see if the MP line is particularly precise soles and if the JPX line is the same grind or something more forgiving and wider?

I love my MMC's. I have the HMB 4i, but think I would've been fine with the MMC 4 iron. I definitely prefer the MMC look at address over the HMB top line

Comparing the HMB to the only other hollow iron I've played, the i500, they are amazing! great feel and sound for what they are.

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

Pulled the trigger on my first set of mizunos today! A mixed set of the MP 20 line. 8-p blade, 6-7 MMC, and 5-4 HMB. I’m pretty excited and never had any intentions of mixing all three. I’ve been to three different fittings over the last week and am pretty happy where I landed. I went with the px lz 5.5 at 115 grams.

I LOVE the mp blades but def started to lose my consistency at the 7 iron. The added help will be nice but I find that the hmb was to big of a jump at he 7 iron and the smaller profile of the mmc will be nice. Smaller heads make me concentrate harder I have found and I play better golf.

i am having the mmc and hmb bent 2 degrees weak to match the blade lofts.

I went thinking I'd buy a set of HMB and wound up buying Hot Metal Pros. Versus the HMB and the jpx forged, the hot metal pros have less offset, thinner topline, and same great feel.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• 4 weeks later...

Just got the HMB 4 iron. Replacing the MP18-MB SC 4. Rest of the irons (5-PW) are MP18-MB SC. Still using x100 in full set - just a bit more launch.

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR2 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+ 5-20: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey Ai Jailbird Mini DB 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

The MP20 MMC blends much better with the blade. Had the HMB 4,5 and did not like the transition to the MB. They certainly "Fli Hi", but the wide soles give them a different feeling going to through the turf. For what its worth, the MOI is apparently the same between the HMB and MMC. So your decision between the two should be trajectory (HMB higher and MMC lower), look, feel.

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

I currently play the MP18 MMC 7-pw and MP20 HMB 4-6. When I tried the MP20 MMC there was no difference compared to my MP18 so no need to change. I did want a higher ball flight for my longer irons with a slightly more forgiveness and the HMB do that. Plus they don’t look thick as I’ve seen other GI irons. The HMB irons look smooth.