Winter jacket suggestions

My go-to winter jacket is a Kjus Radiation jacket. It’s certainly not thick but is very stretchy so I layer up underneath it. Last winter I played down to minus 5C with a baselayer, a 1/4 zip and that on top, obviously with a snood and hat too. Perfect. On its own it’s probably the most comfortable jacket I’ve ever owned, ideal for golf. I walk rather than buggy so that in itself keeps me a bit warmer, it’s not quite so effective when sitting outside a pub for a few hours.

> @tropics said:

> You have / had a Pro 3 L jacket before, right? How would you compare the two?

> Anyone have any "in the wild" pics of the Pro 3L or thoughts to share? Considering a purchase but there is nowhere nearby I can try one out.

Completely different. The Pro 3L is a waterproof, the Radiation a warm outer layer.

With regard to sizing in both, I’m a 42” chest, 34” waist, 5’10” tall and I take a 52. I could probably squeeze into a 50 but prefer to have a little room to layer up underneath. The Pro 3L has adjustable straps in the pockets that you can use to tighten around your midriff should you need to.

For the money, the Sunice Hamilton Hybrid jacket is a great option. At $75, it keeps me warm and it has some sort or water repellency, which will probably wear out fast since its a fabric treatment. Its comfortable as well.

https://www.function18.com/sunice-hamilton-hybrid-jacket-s72001-midnight.html?nosto=nosto-page-category2-fallback-nosto-2

For much colder weather, they also have the Forbes Thermal Insulated jacket for $108.

https://www.function18.com/sunice-forbes-thermal-insulated-jacket-s62007-black-scarlet.html?nosto=nosto-page-category2-fallback-nosto-2

• 2 weeks later...

> @alpineto said:

> I just ordered the Norse PrimaLoft 2 jacket from ping $200 jeesh Ping you think you could throw in the free shipping

> I know people ordered from the U.K but I needed it in a small and I believe the U.K site doesn't carry it in a small so I bit the bullet

> I'll let you know what I think when I get it .

thats how i feel about Ping sometimes; organized mafia. They dont let the account holders sell below what they specify. Discount/price drops are laughable if they even exist. They dont let them include free shipping with any of their stuff even when the entire retail site offers free shipping above certain amount. Ive seen 4 yr old model Ping clothing still at 10% below msrp. smh. And to add salt to wound, all their clothing fits like sh*t. Everytime i got a clothing piece i end up sending it back and losing on shipping. i dropped off 3 almost new polos last season in a Red Cross bin knowing i couldve made a few dollars back just to avoid complaints from buyers. I honestly felt like i bought counterfeited Ping clothing lol.

The only piece im truly greatful for, and i mean over the moon greatful is the original Norse. That thing is the single best winter (~40 degrees) outerlayer i own. Polo underneath and Norse over it and i am seriously good for 150 holes if i want.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

> @bunta said:

> > @alpineto said:

> > I just ordered the Norse PrimaLoft 2 jacket from ping $200 jeesh Ping you think you could throw in the free shipping

> > I know people ordered from the U.K but I needed it in a small and I believe the U.K site doesn't carry it in a small so I bit the bullet

> > I'll let you know what I think when I get it .

>

>

> thats how i feel about Ping sometimes; organized mafia. They dont let the account holders sell below what they specify. Discount/price drops are laughable if they even exist. They dont let them include free shipping with any of their stuff even when the entire retail site offers free shipping above certain amount. Ive seen 4 yr old model Ping clothing still at 10% below msrp. smh. And to add salt to wound, all their clothing fits like sh*t. Everytime i got a clothing piece i end up sending it back and losing on shipping. i dropped off 3 almost new polos last season in a Red Cross bin knowing i couldve made a few dollars back just to avoid complaints from buyers. I honestly felt like i bought counterfeited Ping clothing lol.

>

> The only piece im truly greatful for, and i mean over the moon greatful is the original Norse. That thing is the single best winter (~40 degrees) outerlayer i own. Polo underneath and Norse over it and i am seriously good for 150 holes if i want.

You don’t have to buy Ping, there are other brands available.

> @CousinDonuts said:

> Does anyone have the [RLX hybrid jackets](https://www.ralphlauren.com/brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg/stretch-terry-golf-jacket/481401.html?cgid=brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg&webcat=Men%2FShop%20All%20Men%E2%80%99s%20Golf&dwvar481401_colorname=Navy#prefn1=CategoryCode&prefv1=Jackets%252C%2520Coats%2520%2526%2520Vests&start=1&cgid=brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg "RLX hybrid jackets")?

>

I have a similar one from a couple of seasons ago. No water protection so I don't use it for golf but it is a great casual jacket. The zip is notoriously weak unfortunately... sometimes I have to wiggle mine for a minute to get it to close. Maybe the newer models have fixed this issue.

> @bunta said:

> > @alpineto said:

> > I just ordered the Norse PrimaLoft 2 jacket from ping $200 jeesh Ping you think you could throw in the free shipping

> > I know people ordered from the U.K but I needed it in a small and I believe the U.K site doesn't carry it in a small so I bit the bullet

> > I'll let you know what I think when I get it .

>

>

> thats how i feel about Ping sometimes; organized mafia. They dont let the account holders sell below what they specify. Discount/price drops are laughable if they even exist. They dont let them include free shipping with any of their stuff even when the entire retail site offers free shipping above certain amount. Ive seen 4 yr old model Ping clothing still at 10% below msrp. smh. And to add salt to wound, all their clothing fits like sh*t. Everytime i got a clothing piece i end up sending it back and losing on shipping. i dropped off 3 almost new polos last season in a Red Cross bin knowing i couldve made a few dollars back just to avoid complaints from buyers. I honestly felt like i bought counterfeited Ping clothing lol.

>

> The only piece im truly greatful for, and i mean over the moon greatful is the original Norse. That thing is the single best winter (~40 degrees) outerlayer i own. Polo underneath and Norse over it and i am seriously good for 150 holes if i want.

From my understanding with clothes ping has a minimum advertised price but they can be sold for less. My Norse and my ping rain pants were both about $50 less each buying from the pro shop vs pings site. I just told him to order expecting to pay full price and when it came in he told me got approval to sell at the lower price from the rep

> @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> Anyone have experience with the ping breaker jacket? Guessing it’s not as warm as the Norse but I like the look better.

> a1eo2g8w1wjc.png

>

Did you ever pull the trigger on getting the Ping Breaker? I'm looking around for the Norse but have really struggled to find much. The Breaker looks better to my eye as well. Hoping for feedback!

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

> @CousinDonuts said:

> Does anyone have the [RLX hybrid jackets](https://www.ralphlauren.com/brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg/stretch-terry-golf-jacket/481401.html?cgid=brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg&webcat=Men%2FShop%20All%20Men%E2%80%99s%20Golf&dwvar481401_colorname=Navy#prefn1=CategoryCode&prefv1=Jackets%252C%2520Coats%2520%2526%2520Vests&start=1&cgid=brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg "RLX hybrid jackets")?

>

I do, I have two of them. I think that they are great. There really seems to be nothing to them and it’s amazing how warm they keep you given that. I do have warmer jackets but love my two Cool Wool jackets. I wear them both more than anything else. They are also brilliant for layering items underneath.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @jjmurry said:

> > @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> > Anyone have experience with the ping breaker jacket? Guessing it’s not as warm as the Norse but I like the look better.

> > a1eo2g8w1wjc.png

> >

>

> Did you ever pull the trigger on getting the Ping Breaker? I'm looking around for the Norse but have really struggled to find much. The Breaker looks better to my eye as well. Hoping for feedback!

No, haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Other than pings website it’s a pain to find in my size & a little nervous about possibly having to return. Will write a little something here if I end up getting it.

> For the money, the Sunice Hamilton Hybrid jacket is a great option. At $75, it keeps me warm and it has some sort or water repellency, which will probably wear out fast since its a fabric treatment. Its comfortable as well.

>

>

> For much colder weather, they also have the Forbes Thermal Insulated jacket for $108.

>

I have the Sunice jacket and yeah it’s very comfortable. I also like most of my jackets water repellent so I consider it a steal at 75 bucks. Bought two actually just in case the first one wears out fast

> @MattyO1984 said:

> > @CousinDonuts said:

> > Does anyone have the [RLX hybrid jackets](https://www.ralphlauren.com/brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg/stretch-terry-golf-jacket/481401.html?cgid=brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg&webcat=Men%2FShop%20All%20Men%E2%80%99s%20Golf&dwvar481401_colorname=Navy#prefn1=CategoryCode&prefv1=Jackets%252C%2520Coats%2520%2526%2520Vests&start=1&cgid=brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg "RLX hybrid jackets")?

> >

>

> I do, I have two of them. I think that they are great. There really seems to be nothing to them and it’s amazing how warm they keep you given that. I do have warmer jackets but love my two Cool Wool jackets. I wear them both more than anything else. They are also brilliant for layering items underneath.

Are the sleeves stretchy enough that the jacket can be worn over a long sleeved shirt, or so tight that only short sleeves under? I've never owned one of these hybrids and every time I look it seems like I see a next to skin sleeve fit, almost like something you would wear in lieu of a half-zip.

> @CousinDonuts said:

> > @MattyO1984 said:

> > > @CousinDonuts said:

> > > Does anyone have the [RLX hybrid jackets](https://www.ralphlauren.com/brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg/stretch-terry-golf-jacket/481401.html?cgid=brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg&webcat=Men%2FShop%20All%20Men%E2%80%99s%20Golf&dwvar481401_colorname=Navy#prefn1=CategoryCode&prefv1=Jackets%252C%2520Coats%2520%2526%2520Vests&start=1&cgid=brands-golf-men-tournament-looks-cg "RLX hybrid jackets")?

> > >

> >

> > I do, I have two of them. I think that they are great. There really seems to be nothing to them and it’s amazing how warm they keep you given that. I do have warmer jackets but love my two Cool Wool jackets. I wear them both more than anything else. They are also brilliant for layering items underneath.

>

>

> Are the sleeves stretchy enough that the jacket can be worn over a long sleeved shirt, or so tight that only short sleeves under? I've never owned one of these hybrids and every time I look it seems like I see a next to skin sleeve fit, almost like something you would wear in lieu of a half-zip.

I certainly find them to be. I will quite often wear them away from the course with a jumper underneath.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I've found the RLX hybrid to be very good for cool, but not cold rounds. By "cool," I mean 45+ degrees, relatively calm conditions and sun out. It was not very effective at 40 degrees, cloudy and north winds. It was stretchy enough for me to wear over a polo and thin enough to serve as a mid layer on those extra cold days less than 40 degrees, 25 mph winds and cloudy. I have 3 and found all 3 on half price after winter sales over the past couple of years. But, everyone's body and cold factor are different so some may be able to wear them effectively in 30 degree temps and some may say 50 is as low as they would go.

> @4puttJohnny said:

> I've found the RLX hybrid to be very good for cool, but not cold rounds. By "cool," I mean 45+ degrees, relatively calm conditions and sun out. It was not very effective at 40 degrees, cloudy and north winds. It was stretchy enough for me to wear over a polo and thin enough to serve as a mid layer on those extra cold days less than 40 degrees, 25 mph winds and cloudy. I have 3 and found all 3 on half price after winter sales over the past couple of years. But, everyone's body and cold factor are different so some may be able to wear them effectively in 30 degree temps and some may say 50 is as low as they would go.

Thx for including temp info and wear.

So I bought the ping breaker and a Galvin Green Lyon jacket. Have had the GG a few weeks, just got the ping yesterday. Ping grey is a little darker than in the pictures. Both are slimmer than the US adidas, under Armour, etc as expected. Have had the GG out a few times in 40’s & 50’s & is comfortable. Ping’s sleeves aren’t quite as warm but fine this morning in 45 degree weather for a 20 minute walk with the dog. Ping’s sleeves are a hair tight with base layer under, will probably loosen up a hair after using a few times. Overall the GG seems a little more versatile & is wind proof (as expected from $$ difference & gore liner)but I’ll use both. Both aren’t as warm (as expected) as my old Mizuno windlite/warmalite sweaters. If I was going for pure warmth I’d go Ping Norse based on other reviews here but these are both good options for cool, windy weather.