Scotland Trip Itinerary, Reviews and Pictures

gaffs

For a golfer, a trip to St Andrews isn’t complete without a round at the Old Course, so without a tee time, the singles line was the only option. I spoke to a few people around town, including two St Andrews GC Members, who said that 6am should get you a tee time. Just to be safe I got in line at 5.15 so so pretty shocked to find 15 ppl in front of me - 9 of which were in a group from Montana. To make me even more nervous, no one showed up after me until after 6.45.

When the doors opens, the slots got filed by the 7 people. I had the choose of taking a dark time, which started at 1.50, or hang around for a no show. I took the dark time so i could go back to bed and get some decent lunch.

I was lucky to be paired up with an awesome group - two of which happens to have the same last name as me, which is a pretty rare name - non of us had ever met another. Could only happen at the Old Course.

Teeing off I was pretty nervous. Wanted to hit the driver as I have been hitting it great, but my caddy wisely advised a 6 iron. After a pulley low hit, I was on my way. With the flag tight to the front of the first green, I tried to get a little cute and dropped on in the Swilcan Burn which led to a bogie. On the second, I pulled driver ever so slightly into deep rough and had to hack out. Bogie, bogie start - nightmare, but my caddy soon calmed me down.

As everyone knows, you go away from the town on the way out. No on in our group had played the course before so caddy help was invaluable. My caddy Alex guided me around perfectly. The course it pretty forgiving, as long as you play your yardages.

Seven, the short dogleg right and ten, the par three with the estuary as they back drop were highlights. The course, in my opinion, was fairly easy up until 17. Like previous days on my trip, there has been little to no wind to protect the courses.

My swing got very lose at the end of the round, I was fighting the high rights. On 16, 17, 18, where you have OB right, I had to play conservatively, which led to some mistakes. I doubled the road hole, without even going near the road or the road hole bunker - that really sucked.

Still, I shot 75, which I was pretty happy with considering a bad ball striking day.

Playing the Old Course is all about the history and the experience. The course it’s self is really fun to play, especially if you like keeping the ball on the floor. Tho use I almost feel sorry for it, given technology has made some of the holes just too easy.

I would love to play it a few more times to learn the nuance of the course, and even experience it with the elements, but alas this may be a one of experience and if that’s the case, then I walk away very happy with some fantastic memories.

gzuz46x3zxi8.jpeg

8yetn3k83m7b.jpeg

8ck0iipib7s1.jpeg

b37lc94osmdm.jpeg

hhkp14ytt915.jpeg

m4wwuvmmt2xb.jpeg

v81jv7zzwanv.jpeg

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

It may well be true what people say about Royal Aberdeen having their best front nine in Scotland. Holes two to nine play in between large dunes, protecting the fairways from the breeze from the North Sea.

Great mix of par 5s, short and long par fours and two great par 3’s. The par three third at 223yards is a beast. The undulated fairways, with their pot bunkers, all winding through the dunes.

The back 9 starts really well with a blind tee shot on 10, but as you come out of the dunes the holes become a little less special. Maybe that’s partly because you lose the isolation you had in the dunes. The back nine runs up against an industrial estate with a massive wind turbine that spoils the view. You can see aforementioned turbine on the front 9 too. For the first time in my life, I may agree with Mr Trump, they are pretty ugly when viewed from a beautiful golf course - yet I’m pretty sure they don’t cause cancer! Lol

The par three 17 is a great hole.

Enjoyed the course, but I would have been happier to play the front 9 twice.

It was a little tough to swallow the £200 green fee considering there wasn’t another sole on the tee sheet all day - way too expensive for October in my opinion. Didn’t see another player on the course until I was through 14.

tnbb8z9kraju.jpeg

y9335tk298yv.jpeg

1pmfb72wnep0.jpeg

4syutik5h0w9.jpeg

pti6iucn4k1f.jpeg

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Re Royal Aberdeen. While I 100% agree that the front 9 is phenomenal I think the back 9 gets rather harshly "treated/criticised". In my opoinion it is still a tremendous test of golf and a wonderful stretch of holes. For me the back 9 is still a good run of strong holes which (being critical due to the ambience and setting of the front 9) possibly do fade slightly when compared to the front nine but they're still tremendous holes.

I know 8 gets the plaudits as being the signature hole but I would argue 17 is even better and a better view from its elevated position. 18 is also a tremendous finishing hole.

Staff in the clubhouse were also fantastic.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

> @gaffs said:

> It may well be true what people say about Royal Aberdeen having their best front nine in Scotland. Holes two to nine play in between large dunes, protecting the fairways from the breeze from the North Sea.

>

> Great mix of par 5s, short and long par fours and two great par 3’s. The par three third at 223yards is a beast. The undulated fairways, with their pot bunkers, all winding through the dunes.

>

> The back 9 starts really well with a blind tee shot on 10, but as you come out of the dunes the holes become a little less special. Maybe that’s partly because you lose the isolation you had in the dunes. The back nine runs up against an industrial estate with a massive wind turbine that spoils the view. You can see aforementioned turbine on the front 9 too. For the first time in my life, I may agree with Mr Trump, they are pretty ugly when viewed from a beautiful golf course - yet I’m pretty sure they don’t cause cancer! Lol

>

> The par three 17 is a great hole.

>

> Enjoyed the course, but I would have been happier to play the front 9 twice.

>

> It was a little tough to swallow the £200 green fee considering there wasn’t another sole on the tee sheet all day - way too expensive for October in my opinion. Didn’t see another player on the course until I was through 14.

I just noticed this after the above reply.

This year in the 35 times I have played the 3rd hole I have not reached with a 2 iron(should have hit 3 wood) and hit through the green with an 8 iron.

The tenth hole you just can't hit it past 250 yards not be in trouble, the further left you are the easier the second shot but the more chance of being in the bunker. its a great hole to judge the change in wind for the back nine.

Funny the turbine when it was built by rubber Atkins there was some bizarre stories to how he got planning permission. In all honesty there is no view that way plus it help now as you can always see exactly which way the wind is blowing.

I think the 17th or the second are my most photographed hole on the course. 17th can be a score wrecker.

The 18th hole and me don't get on, I find it really hard to hit the tee shot and am normally big on my second. Assuming not too much wind, I now just hit a 2 iron into the dip them play from there, its another great hole.

I find the front 9 easier than the back nine, don't know why, I think its because I struggle on 11(ranges between 9 iron and 4 iron; short par 3 but the wind is a massive factor), 13(all on the tee shot, hit a good drive then its an easy hole), 16(just get it as close to the top of the hill, then play from there, but the dam gorse in the normal cross wind)

I hope you didn't pay 200 for the course as its cheaper than that(just). The prices go cheaper on October 25, the course is actually closed for a week then and its then full winter season and there is a good winter deal to be had. There are only 350 full members of the club and If I was to be playing right now I would only probably be playing 1 time a week right now on the course on the Saturday. October 12 was the Captains prize and that is the traditional end to golf season. RA is a weird place, amazing sunny Sunday afternoon in the middle of August at 22 degrees and I am the only one on the course.

> @thecraw said:

> Re Royal Aberdeen. While I 100% agree that the front 9 is phenomenal I think the back 9 gets rather harshly "treated/criticised". In my opoinion it is still a tremendous test of golf and a wonderful stretch of holes. For me the back 9 is still a good run of strong holes which (being critical due to the ambience and setting of the front 9) possibly do fade slightly when compared to the front nine but they're still tremendous holes.

>

> I know 8 gets the plaudits as being the signature hole but I would argue 17 is even better and a better view from its elevated position. 18 is also a tremendous finishing hole.

>

> Staff in the clubhouse were also fantastic.

Slope wise white tees at RA are 142 and off white at the Old Course its 127, Turnberry off Blue 129 so RA is one hard course!

Funny the two holes that are being changed this winter are the 2nd/3rd with surrounds for eh greens being smoothed out.

I agree certainly with 18, I hate that hole but its a great hole!

Thats good you say that as there has been huge turnover lately of staff, which is a massive shame; food has not been the best but at the Member Guest day it was great a few weeks back so seems to be adjusting with the new staff.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @thecraw said:

> @scott_Donald - Played it in September at the RA Open and the place was fantastic, staff and course were tremendous. Can't wait to go back next year.

what did you score?

there was some good scores on a 4 over par standard scratch day -

Mens Open Tournament - Sunday 15th September 2019

CSS 75

Scratch

1st - Bryan Innes (Murcar Links) 70

2nd - Stewart McCulloch (Cruden Bay) 72

3rd - Mark Thomson (Kintore) 72

4th - Barrie Edmond (Bon Accord) 74

5th - Scott Brownlie (Burntisland) 75

6th - Anthony Bews (Murcar Links) 77

Handicap

1st - Crawford Kilpatrick (Machrihanish Dunes) 71

2nd - Philip Morrison (Cruden Bay) 72

3rd - Troy O'Connor (Linlithgow) 72

4th - Michael Stalker (Keith) 73

5th - Robert Blair (East Renfrewshire) 73

6th - Andrew McLaughlin (Peterculter) 74

7th - James Anderson (Newmachar) 74

8th - D Doogan (Addington Place) 74

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

How was the rest of the trip?

Cruden Bay and Royal Dornoch thoughts?

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

> @scott_Donald said:

> How was the rest of the trip?

>

> Cruden Bay and Royal Dornoch thoughts?

Gotta write the rest up. I will do Cruden tmrw.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

After playing four world famous courses, Kingsbarns, Old Course, Carnoustie and Royal Aberdeen, I (as well as my wallet) was looking forward to a slight change of pace. I had heard that Cruden Bay was the Marmite of Scottish golf - you either love it or hate it. Mainly this is down to the blind shots and a rather more hilly terrain than most Scottish links offer.

Driving through the small town of Cruden Bay towards the club, gave me feel that i was about to play at a the kind of club that was created to serve the local community. As ever, the hospitality in the pro shop and club house was first class. The green fee includes a miniature bottle of whiskey, which was very much appreciated on a chilly afternoon.

90rtzcrvyzhf.jpg

hrk1za6yilbw.jpg

The first two holes are pretty straight forward par fours, the second of which you hit upto a highly elevated putting surface.

The third hole is where it starts to get interesting with a blind, 270 yard, drive-able par 4. Yet without knowing the exact line to take to the green, the play is to leave it at the top of the hill and pitch it down to the large green.

Third Green...

qcv6tv6kjt2b.jpg

The fourth is a long, picturesque par 3 with the town on the left. You shot towards a green 200 yards away, surrounded by the tall dunes. Short it not an option with the steep drop off and long leaves you in the dunes.

The climb upto the fifth tee gives you the first look at the scale of the course, especially the dune scape. It feels wild. The hole is a monster, 460+ yards and on the day i played the flag was all the way back on a huge two tier green. I hit my two best consecutive shots on this hole - driver and 5 iron to leave myself 8 feet for the bird (missed it of course). Real tough hole if the flag is at the back - if you leave yourself on the top level you are almost certainly three putting.

View from tee on 5....

cdlrtypo6yf7.jpg

The 6th may be the signature hole - the 517 par 5. You hit your tee shot into a forgiving fairway. The green is elevated and dog legs to the left, leaving a blind shot to an elevated green. You also need to contend with the stream. If you are long, you could have a dig and try and leave the ball on the run up to the green. I layed up back of the stream, but still left myself with a blind shot given the pin was back left. That pin is getable with a short iron or wedge in hand, but you dont feel comfortable with it being blind and having the contend with the dunes behind and bunkers to the left. Even though i went for it, my left brain got the better of me and i hit a fade to the widest part of the green. Excellent hole that i would love to play again and again.

6th Green

z0pbs7nt82gw.jpg

Green on 6 looking back to the town...

9fkcqzu53mg2.jpg

The 7th is yet another great hole, which is all about the approach shot upto a high elevated green, with high dunes left and right creating an tunnel effect. Really memorable approach.

Coming off the 7th green you get the first look of what i would describe as the natural intersection created by the dunescape. Its almost as if nature left room for the greens to sit perfectly within these huge hills and dunes. Or maybe is was the magic of Old Tom? From here, you can see at least three greens and tree different tee boxes, which you will come to play at the back end of the round.

The 8th is a very short downhill par 4 at 250 yards. At first i thought it was a par three. Its drivable for everyone on a still day, but you still shouldn't let your guard down as you have a large but two tiered green which will be problematic if you don't hit, or at least be on the correct side of it, off the tee.

After 8 you have a long walk upto 9. I'm a pretty fit thirty something so no issue here, but i have heard a few people on my trip complain about this. Not sure why, given the fantastic view of the bay that greets you upon reaching the summit.

9 is all about the views of the bay on the left. The fairway runs down hill so a decent drive leaves you nothing more than a wedge into the green.

View back to the intersection from 9th tee....

ons0nckzmjsl.jpg

Letting one go on 9...

eodupbcrpqs4.jpg

9th Green...

l88nt4ntys55.jpg

In my opinion, 9 brings to the end as good a stretch of holes as I have played in, well 5 hours! Having played Royal Aberdeen in the morning, it would be a tough call to say weather 2 to 9 at Royal Aberdeen was better than 3 to 9 at Cruden Bay. I would be interested to hear your opinions?

10, 11, 12 are all good golf holes, but i feet they were "comedown" holes after the previous stretch. Its was almost as if this part of the course was an extension. 11 is a tough short par 3 with the wind blowing.

View down to "backside" of the course from 10th tee.

6esfd0bx3hph.jpg

Things get interesting again with the approach on the par 5 13th. Unless you know the course and you take the long route up the left side of the fairway, you have the blind shot over the dune into the green. My first bird of the afternoon came here with a great blind approach shot and a 10 foot putt.

14 is a fantastic golf hole, and i would love it more if i knew what i had to carry to reach the sunken coffin green! You start with an uphill drive, aiming at the stake. Anything pulled risks finding sand on the left. From the fairway, you have no perception of how far away the green is. In hindsight, i should have taken the time to walk upto the end of the fairway, but the legs were starting to ache at this stage. I hit what i though was a great 8 iron, which came up about 50 yards short! A pitch and a putt made to save par. A fantastic hole.

14th green...

upay678xwn5m.jpg

The tee box for 15 is next to the 14th green. The task in hand is a 200 yard shot blind shot, which you hit as close to the dune on the left as you can - then you pray. These blind shots really focus the mind when you have never seen them before - i love the challenge.

16 is another long par three across to a green close to the 7th green, which is part of the course i described earlier as the intersection.

17 and 18 are two similar length par 4s to take you home.

I thought Cruden Bay was fantastic. I perhaps didnt appreciate it all when i walked off the 18th as i was so tired and facing a drive to Inverness. But of all the courses I played, Cruden Bay sticks in my mind the most. It would be the first course I recommend to any golfer about to travel to Scotland. As i mentioned earlier, it feels wild and just very natural because of the landscape. Its quirky, yet its also a big ball park and demands you play your very best.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

great write up of Cruden Bay.

Its funny how different people love different places; my dad is a member there and has played two rounds this year, and a lot more than that at Royal Aberdeen, He has played more rounds on the Old Course as a guest than Cruden Bay.

I really enjoy Cruden Bay and would have played well over 50 rounds there now. I hate 14 and 15. funny reading your review, did you have a caddie or did you know what to hit at the greens really compared to the number?

The 5th is a great hole and the 6th is horrendous, I hate Par 5s that don't really give you a shot at the green if they are in range with a medium to short iron, its just too blind and a lot of trouble. 13th hole is one great hole, hit it 270 off the tee then same again to the green, again if you didn't have a caddie then getting the clubs right there is very hard.

The hill up to the 9th tee is hard slog, its nicknamed Cardiac hill or something like that, the view is certainly worth it from the top though.

I like the finish at 17- smash a driver over the mound and flick on, 18 - hit driver/3 wood down the left to give you a flat approach. I lost to my dad on the last in May when he birdied 18 to win.

The clubhouse lot are all super nice and food is decent. Certainly would be a great club to be a member of, I always suggest folk to join there over lots of other ones in Aberdeen.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

@gaffs Great trip write up, I share lots of your same views about your courses. It seems that you caught some weather that was a bit on the tame side, Carnoustie is a wind is brutal and the OC gets much tougher as well. Personally, I have played over thirty courses in Scotland. Like you, I think about Cruden Bay more often than any of the others. It was the most fun I have ever had on a golf course.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-9, Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 46°, 50°, 54° D, 60° T, Mitsubishi MMT 85s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

> @scott_Donald said:

> great write up of Cruden Bay.

>

> Its funny how different people love different places; my dad is a member there and has played two rounds this year, and a lot more than that at Royal Aberdeen, He has played more rounds on the Old Course as a guest than Cruden Bay.

>

> I really enjoy Cruden Bay and would have played well over 50 rounds there now. I hate 14 and 15. funny reading your review, did you have a caddie or did you know what to hit at the greens really compared to the number?

>

> The 5th is a great hole and the 6th is horrendous, I hate Par 5s that don't really give you a shot at the green if they are in range with a medium to short iron, its just too blind and a lot of trouble. 13th hole is one great hole, hit it 270 off the tee then same again to the green, again if you didn't have a caddie then getting the clubs right there is very hard.

>

> The hill up to the 9th tee is hard slog, its nicknamed Cardiac hill or something like that, the view is certainly worth it from the top though.

>

> I like the finish at 17- smash a driver over the mound and flick on, 18 - hit driver/3 wood down the left to give you a flat approach. I lost to my dad on the last in May when he birdied 18 to win.

>

> The clubhouse lot are all super nice and food is decent. Certainly would be a great club to be a member of, I always suggest folk to join there over lots of other ones in Aberdeen.

No, i didn't have a caddy and played it solo. A caddy would have helped, for sure. As i said earlier, i came up way short on 14 and probably one club short on 15. I don't have a massive issue with blind shots, for me, they focus the mind and i often find i really go though the full routine before i hit, which i probably should be doing on each shot. I think i made par on 14 and 15, which helps - had i gone bogey bogey maybe it would be a different story.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

> @jas904 said:

> @gaffs Great trip write up, I share lots of your same views about your courses. It seems that you caught some weather that was a bit on the tame side, Carnoustie is a wind is brutal and the OC gets much tougher as well. Personally, I have played over thirty courses in Scotland. Like you, I think about Cruden Bay more often than any of the others. It was the most fun I have ever had on a golf course.

Thanks

Absolutely. I was very lucky with the weather. Hardly any wind all week.

WITB 2023

Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.