2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Talk to me about driving irons...

Tree Levino

I'm a pretty high ball hitter. I currently have a 19* hybrid I've been using but I find it can go a bit too high/spin quite a bit (I spin it backwards on greens). It goes about 225 carry for me (set to 20*) but gets affected by the wind a lot. I always feel like I have to set up for a fade and I also have it set flat as if I worry about it going left on me. I also grabbed a TM Gapr mid thinking it would offer a bit more help and height than a traditional driving iron but found it still goes insanely high for the loft (partially shaft related I'm sure). Basically, I hit my 4 iron around 210 carry. Looking for something that goes straight and is easy to flight high or low when needed and doesn't want to go left. T-MB 3 iron with graphite shaft? P790 UDI? I'd like to have a tee club for shorter par 4s I can knock down and run out but still use on long par 3s and second shots into par 5s around the 220-230 mark.

For reference: when I say high ball hitter I'm just over 6k spin with a 7 iron and around 120ft peak height with 50 descent angle. Driver is around the 110 mark.

I'm going to guess P790 UDI will be the best option.

I'm not quite as fast as you but am looking for a similar club, low launch, low spin for off the tee. I've resisted pulling the trigger on a few UDIs I've seen on eBay. So far.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I've also been timid to pull the ebay trigger....but for me it's a 2i Ping G410 Crossover. I hit it at a demo day and loved it. Regretting not picking one up. I found it fairly easy to flight it down, which is important because we live in a windy area. Good luck!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

I have a p790 head i was about to put on the bst. If you have any interest shoot me a DM.

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x    OR   FliHi 3(19*) - Modus 125x

Edel SMS 4,5 SMS Pro 6-P - PX LS 6.5

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I switched to a driving iron this year for the same reasons you’re stating about the hybrid. I would say we are very similar statistically speaking with our ball flights and speed. I added an 18 degree srixon u85 and it does everything I need it to. I find it very easy to hit both off the tee and the fairway. It’s become a solid 230 club for me. I still launch it fairly high on a normal swing, but it is still lower than my old 18 degree hybrid. If I want to flight it low into the wind I can make it happen the same way I would my 4 iron which is something I couldn’t do with the hybrid. It’s been a great club.

I looked at the tmb but found it much less forgiving. That should be obvious when looking at the sized differences, but for me the slightly chunkier look doesn’t offend me with a driving iron.

790 UDI and g410 crossover have the best ball speeds and launch low. UDI launches lower than the 410... I already traded in the 410 for my current utility, New Level 4995 18* set to 16*. For me personally its the best of the 3 in terms of consistency and help on slight mishits. Also its the best of the 3 from the fairway...

for what its worth if I wanted strictly a tee club, the UDI is the best. Definitely playable from the fairway, but it excels more off the tee

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

> @Lefty96 said:

> I switched to a driving iron this year for the same reasons you’re stating about the hybrid. I would say we are very similar statistically speaking with our ball flights and speed. I added an 18 degree srixon u85 and it does everything I need it to. I find it very easy to hit both off the tee and the fairway. It’s become a solid 230 club for me. I still launch it fairly high on a normal swing, but it is still lower than my old 18 degree hybrid. If I want to flight it low into the wind I can make it happen the same way I would my 4 iron which is something I couldn’t do with the hybrid. It’s been a great club.

>

> I looked at the tmb but found it much less forgiving. That should be obvious when looking at the sized differences, but for me the slightly chunkier look doesn’t offend me with a driving iron.

Second to this, the U85 is super easy to flight up and down, very responsive and soft feel.

A lot of this is going to depend on your aesthetic and turf interaction preferences. You have your P790/TMB/G410 Crossover types which are smaller in profile and narrowing in the sole. These tend to be a little less forgiving but act more like irons for those wanting to get away from the hybrid vibe. Then you have the Mizuno HMB/Srixon U-series/Titleist U510 types which are chunkier, wider soled, and more hybrid like overall. They usually fly higher and are more forgiving. Personally I find the Srixon U-series (I have a U65) to be some of the best feeling, but I haven't tried the HMB yet. Figuring out which camp you fall in in terms of what you're looking for first is the most important I think.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I went with the PXG 0311X 4 driving iron (21.5*) with a Mitsubishi MMT shaft. Low spin and low launching for its size (chunkier) and forgiveness (very). It also feels amazing. I was put on to it from a few members here and have been happy so far. For me it carries almost as far as my Cobra F7 hybrid but with a penetrating flight and much more roll. I don't think it'll hold a green but it'll definitely chase up on to them.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Since you're already playing a T-MB in your 4 iron, assuming you like it, I'd throw in the 3 iron since height, spin and distance don't seem to be an issue. I'd also vouch for the UDI as a good choice and throw in the new Mizuno HMB. I recently bought a HMB 3 iron and it is large enough that it gives you all the confidence in the world to go after the ball, but still retains decent looking lines.

I’m still playing a mizuno mp h5 2i. Recently put a Fujikura pro 2.0 hybrid shaft in it and it is amazing! Fun to hit and easy to flight. This is strictly a tee club for me. I struggle with hybrids as I never felt comfortable with head shape and short shaft. Also have an 816 alpha 5 wood and alternate with driving iron. 5 wood is harder to flight but great from the fairway. Also thinking about going to a 4 wood and just keeping the driving iron in the bag. It really is my safe club from the tee.

For reference, I love hitting irons and struggle with woods which is why I’m much more comfortable hitting a 2i than a hybrid.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Searching…  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

> @SSwanson said:

> Have you tried the new Titleist U500 3-Iron?

>

I have not but could be a good option. Hybrid ball flight is not working for me. Too high, too spinny. The thing is I’m more after that club for long par 3s rather than tee stingers so the driving iron still needs to flight high and stop when needed. Looks like a good option.

Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @balls_deep said:

> > @SSwanson said:

> > Have you tried the new Titleist U500 3-Iron?

> >

>

> I have not but could be a good option. Hybrid ball flight is not working for me. Too high, too spinny. The thing is I’m more after that club for long par 3s rather than tee stingers so the driving iron still needs to flight high and stop when needed. Looks like a good option.

It sounds like you want a "3-iron" more so than a "driving iron" (title). Without knowing anything else, I would say just get a 718 T-MB 3-iron with the same KBS $-Taper 130X.

> @MtlJeff said:

> Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

>

> You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

I've thought about getting a tee shot only iron for a couple of holes, and have wondered whether some of the driving irons are actually any more forgiving than say a G410 4-iron. My guess is that some of the more player's versions are not, although the ones with the wider soles may be.

Relatively speaking, I think some of the GI irons probably have more offset and other hacker club looks that many would say don't blend well with a set of MBs or players CBs.

> @balls_deep said:

> I'm a pretty high ball hitter. I currently have a 19* hybrid I've been using but I find it can go a bit too high/spin quite a bit (I spin it backwards on greens). It goes about 225 carry for me (set to 20*) but gets affected by the wind a lot. I always feel like I have to set up for a fade and I also have it set flat as if I worry about it going left on me. I also grabbed a TM Gapr mid thinking it would offer a bit more help and height than a traditional driving iron but found it still goes insanely high for the loft (partially shaft related I'm sure). Basically, I hit my 4 iron around 210 carry. Looking for something that goes straight and is easy to flight high or low when needed and doesn't want to go left. T-MB 3 iron with graphite shaft? P790 UDI? I'd like to have a tee club for shorter par 4s I can knock down and run out but still use on long par 3s and second shots into par 5s around the 220-230 mark.

>

> For reference: when I say high ball hitter I'm just over 6k spin with a 7 iron and around 120ft peak height with 50 descent angle. Driver is around the 110 mark.

Is it high launch high spin? Or you launch it low but it still spins too much and climbs up like how Ollie Schiederjans hits it.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I have 2 UDIs which I mess around with, P790 UDI (gen 1)with HZRDUS Black and Mizuno MP FliHi (not MP18/20) with Tour AD UDI (the orange shaft for UDIs).

They both serve different purposes IMO but I seem to hit the Mizuno more consistently especially off the deck. The thicker sole makes it more forgiving. It's a massive bullet, mid launch, low spin for me. The shaft isn't the stiffest thing in the world but somehow works for me.

As for the P790, when struck well off the tee... I couldn't be happier with myself when it does. Low flying bullet which makes you wonder if you'd make it on tour. BUT, it isn't the easiest club to launch off the deck for me but that tee shot potential just makes me want to love it and keep it in my bag.

> @xyckin said:

> I have 2 UDIs which I mess around with, P790 UDI (gen 1)with HZRDUS Black and Mizuno MP FliHi (not MP18/20) with Tour AD UDI (the orange shaft for UDIs).

> They both serve different purposes IMO but I seem to hit the Mizuno more consistently especially off the deck. The thicker sole makes it more forgiving. It's a massive bullet, mid launch, low spin for me. The shaft isn't the stiffest thing in the world but somehow works for me.

> As for the P790, when struck well off the tee... I couldn't be happier with myself when it does. Low flying bullet which makes you wonder if you'd make it on tour. BUT, it isn't the easiest club to launch off the deck for me but that tee shot potential just makes me want to love it and keep it in my bag.

I have the '19 TM UDI and I could not agree more. Off the tee it carries 250 or so for me, and man when it is struck well I just stare at that ball flight and wonder why I don't get paid to play golf. Then I will attempt to hit it into a short par 5 off the deck and then I am quickly reminded why I have a day job. It is a great stick but at the end of the day it is still a 2 iron and not the easiest club to hit. But on the positive side, it is a welcome addition to my bag. I am hot and cold with my 3 wood, almost went 5 wood when I got fit, but the 2 iron is just way more consistent for me. I am a longer hitter, 290-310 driving range for me, so having this option off the tee on shorter or tight par 4s has been welcomed with excellent results.

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS72

Titleist Pro V1

> @MtlJeff said:

> Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

>

> You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

>

I am experimenting as we speak. I have bought Ping G410 4 iron and paired it up with Recoil. It, I hate the sound and the feel. I get great distance and flight, but that damn sound and feel! I also have the Srixon U85 I like, but not that long.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

Srixon U85 at 20* for me. Its 250ish off the tee and my 235-240 club of the deck. Went Recoil 95 F5. Can flight it, hit it high, turn it over, hold it off etc.. Does everything and is supper forgiving especially on toe side strikes. Had an i500 3i with a AD 95x for a while and it was just tough to elevate off of the deck. Not as forgiving as the U85 either.

Stay Tuned...

Newer driving irons are higher launching than the older ones I have found. I have hit a lot of the newer ones and keep going back to my OG MP Fli Hi

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple