2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The New Ventus Black

mjbaker80

> @Breaking_Baddeley said:

> > @drvrwdge said:

> > > @Breaking_Baddeley said:

> > > Does anybody happen to have any trackman comparison numbers with their Ventus Black?

> >

> > This is against a Motore Speeder TS 6.2x tipped 1", Ventus Black 6x is untipped.

> >

> > pln16wckcaal.png

> >

> > vzahdwmkr2q3.png

> >

> >

> >

>

> Thank you! I appreciate the information! I guess the Ventus must play relatively stiff to flex? I was going to tip mine 1" but I am now having second thoughts.

I would not tip. I lucked into a visit to Fujikura prior to receiving my Ventus Black and they sugested not tipping even based on my previous experience with different Fuji products and tipping. The Black will take all you can handle with no tipping and the awesome thing is it will retain its feel. I've always felt with tipping there was a slight performance gain with a significant loss in feel.

Stay Tuned...

> @mjbaker80 said:

> Also...not to bring physics into the equation here but tipping a VENTUS actually REMOVES the stiffest part of the shaft....let that sink in! :)

Sooo I have read about this alot, specifically on another site, and am still am not sure if this is the case or not. They may have and i missed it but not sure if it's been proven with data or not. It makes sense logically but for example if you look at Pings site they list equipment for all staffers along with tipping on shafts and literally every single one of them tips there driver at least 1" regardless of shaft. Now maybe its just an "industry standard" type thing but these guys have the best fitters and such at their disposal and it seems counter intuitive to me that they would all tip if that was the case. Unless of course they are looking to add spin for control??

Stay Tuned...

The bend profile provided by Fujikura shows an upward bend at the tip section, which is unique to this shaft. I don't believe I've seen another shaft profile like it. That would logically indicate that removing any segment of the shaft's tip would serve to soften it, as @mjbaker80 said above.

Fujikura, please let us hear directly from you on this matter.

• Like 1

@mjbaker80. So, I checked out Nate's WITB, as you directed above. He is indeed tipping his Ventus 6X 1" in the driver, and 7X 1.5" in his fairway. But, he's using the Ventus Blue...not black. The Blue's bend profile is typical of most shafts; that is, it droops at the tip or softens. Tipping the Blue therefore makes sense.

With regards to the Black...we need to learn more.

You are right and wrong I believe. When the BLUE came out, the Fuji boys explained to my good friend JD Serres (JDs Clubs) that the tip of the blue was even STIFFER than that if the Atmos black....yep. And that’s not secret info it’s just fact. So, I think the principle of “softening by tipping” may apply to the blue as well.

Now, you are right that black is stiffer yet!

Quite the riddle!

I emailed the head guy at Graphite Design (Pro Choice) about this very matter. I asked him if tipping the very stiff tip GP shafts actually soften the tip and below was his actual response copy/pasted:

"In the testing that we have done, we have found that if you tip a shaft that is stiff to very stiff already like the Tour AD GP and M9003 shaft models, it seems to cause the launch angle to go up a little bit and the spin also was impacted with a 100-200 rpm increase. Over all we recommend not tipping the Tour AD Wood shafts that have a 3” parallel tip section and it would be better to go up a flex if you are looking for a stiffer shaft."

Hi guys, quick note on tipping:

The Ventus lineup of shafts is unique in design by having the tip section as one of the stiffest parts of the profile. Having a 3.0” parallel gives you the ability to tip trim if needed however, we recommend not tipping more than 2”. Going past two inches will cut out the intended tip design and change the entire profile of the shaft. Because PGA Tour players swing much harder than the general consumer it is normal for most players to tip 1” to increase the overall stiffness of the shaft. Shaft Frequency will increase by + or - 10cpm for every inch. Unless you’re bringing the heat and have 110mph+ club head speed I wouldn’t bother tipping this shaft.

So in summary, due to how tip stiff this shaft is, it does not warrant any tipping like some of our other shafts if you're looking to increase tip stiffness. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

http://fujikuragolf.com http://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

I’d like to throw my review in here for anyone else that faces similar circumstances:

I picked up a TM M6 with the stock Fujikura Atmos Black (Non-Tour Version) 6X. Great club, but I found I had issues consistently finding the center of the club face. Additionally, though the Atmos is a “low-mid” launch shaft, it seemed like I hit the ball way too high.

I don’t play enough to justify spending $$ on a full fitting, but I have several colleagues who are knowledgeable enough (played golf in college and way more often) that I could glean some advice from. Consensus was I needed a heavier Xstiff shaft.

Enter, Ventus Black 7X. I was worried about moving from a 67g X stiff to a 78g X stiff, but all that is behind me now! Avg. numbers with the Atmos were high 150s-low 160s in ball speed, Avg 310 yards with inconsistent results hitting the center of the fairway. Switched to the 7X and had Avg. numbers now of 160s-170s in ball speed, Avg 320 yards with way more consistency (as much as my skill level allows) in hitting the center of the fairway! I had 4 drives today on the ole simulator at 335-340 yards!

Fujikura has definitely created one amazing shaft and if you’re considering going from a 60g to 70g in the Ventus, do not hesitate!

> @JBurt0520 said:

> I’d like to throw my review in here for anyone else that faces similar circumstances:

>

> I picked up a TM M6 with the stock Fujikura Atmos Black (Non-Tour Version) 6X. Great club, but I found I had issues consistently finding the center of the club face. Additionally, though the Atmos is a “low-mid” launch shaft, it seemed like I hit the ball way too high.

>

> I don’t play enough to justify spending $$ on a full fitting, but I have several colleagues who are knowledgeable enough (played golf in college and way more often) that I could glean some advice from. Consensus was I needed a heavier Xstiff shaft.

>

> Enter, Ventus Black 7X. I was worried about moving from a 67g X stiff to a 78g X stiff, but all that is behind me now! Avg. numbers with the Atmos were high 150s-low 160s in ball speed, Avg 310 yards with inconsistent results hitting the center of the fairway. Switched to the 7X and had Avg. numbers now of 160s-170s in ball speed, Avg 320 yards with way more consistency (as much as my skill level allows) in hitting the center of the fairway! I had 4 drives today on the ole simulator at 335-340 yards!

>

> Fujikura has definitely created one amazing shaft and if you’re considering going from a 60g to 70g in the Ventus, do not hesitate!

wow, love to hear these gains and testimonials! Thank you so much for sharing and we're so pleased to hear how well ventus has worked for you.

> @Breaking_Baddeley said:

> > @"Fujikura Golf" said:

> > Hi guys, quick note on tipping:

> >

> > The Ventus lineup of shafts is unique in design by having the tip section as one of the stiffest parts of the profile. Having a 3.0” parallel gives you the ability to tip trim if needed however, we recommend not tipping more than 2”. Going past two inches will cut out the intended tip design and change the entire profile of the shaft. Because PGA Tour players swing much harder than the general consumer it is normal for most players to tip 1” to increase the overall stiffness of the shaft. Shaft Frequency will increase by + or - 10cpm for every inch. Unless you’re bringing the heat and have 110mph+ club head speed I wouldn’t bother tipping this shaft.

> >

> > So in summary, due to how tip stiff this shaft is, it does not warrant any tipping like some of our other shafts if you're looking to increase tip stiffness. Hope this helps.

>

> Thanks it does. I had read people saying to not tip it, but this clarification makes sense. I'm swing around 115-120 mph with an aggressive transition and usually tip my driver shafts between 1"-1.5". Would you say it's safe to say I could at least tip it 3/4" and be safe?

Tipping is a dicey topic for us, especially when asked to make recommendations. We don't want to say "yes that's fine" and the shaft ends up losing feel and performance, then you dislike it and take it out of the bag...that's worst case. So it's hard for us to commit to a recommendation. That being said 1.5" would be extreme on Ventus for you or most anyone, so if you feel compelled to tip, anything less than 1" should be OK.

> @therealjonzone said:

> Anyone pair a blue or black with a Flash SZ?

> Results, thoughts?

I paired a 6x Black with my Flash SZ Double Diamond. I haven't gotten it on the launch monitor yet but I played 9 holes last weekend here in Ohio. About 50*. Distance was good but not head and shoulders further than normal. Could be the weather. Could be that it's the first time playing on the course. I will say the launch is noticeably lower than my previous set ups (G410 with T1100 or Pro 2.0 TS). That's exactly what I was hoping for and it hits the mark. Most of my shots stayed relatively straight too. Bad swings for sure did not end up as bad as I anticipated they would. I can report more once I get it on my GC2

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

Black 7X is here for the testing. Shall see how it fairs along side the Tensei PW 70TX that I always come back to. I will see real world on course results Sunday/Monday and report back.

• Like 1
  • Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Tsi3 5W -  Tensei White 70X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7TW 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

> @Smitty120 said:

> Black 7X is here for the testing. Shall see how it fairs along side the Tensei PW 70TX that I always come back to. I will see real world on course results Sunday/Monday and report back.

Looking forward to what you think, been seeing a few too many of these on the BST to pull the trigger!

> @"DFS PFD" said:

> > @Smitty120 said:

> > Black 7X is here for the testing. Shall see how it fairs along side the Tensei PW 70TX that I always come back to. I will see real world on course results Sunday/Monday and report back.

>

> Looking forward to what you think, been seeing a few too many of these on the BST to pull the trigger!

I put mine up but it's the end of the season and it was probably due to me driving the ball poorly my last round of the year. No one but so I will have to do more testing. I believe this shaft is similar to the ad gp.

I'm going to have to wait until post-Disney trip, but I need to find a way to get some swings in with a 7x this winter...

Titleist TSR3 8* Ventus TR Red 
Titleist TSR3 16.5* Evenflow T1100

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titleist T350 4 T200 5 T150 6-9 Accra iSeries 125

Titleist Vokey SM9 46*F (@45) / 50*F / 56*D (@55*) / 60*M DG TI X100
SC Super Select Squareback 2

> @drvrwdge said:

> > @mjbaker80 said:

> > Also...not to bring physics into the equation here but tipping a VENTUS actually REMOVES the stiffest part of the shaft....let that sink in! :)

>

> Sooo I have read about this alot, specifically on another site, and am still am not sure if this is the case or not. They may have and i missed it but not sure if it's been proven with data or not. It makes sense logically but for example if you look at Pings site they list equipment for all staffers along with tipping on shafts and literally every single one of them tips there driver at least 1" regardless of shaft. Now maybe its just an "industry standard" type thing but these guys have the best fitters and such at their disposal and it seems counter intuitive to me that they would all tip if that was the case. Unless of course they are looking to add spin for control??

If you tip a tip stiff shaft where the tip is stiffer in relation to the other parts of the shaft, i.e. mid and butt sections, you weaken the strongest part of the shaft. You can argue deflection will change by lowering the ball flight as the head turns over a touch more. This is primarily because you removed material from the strongest part of the shaft. Conversely if you play a butt soft shaft and trim to say 44.5" vs. 45.5", You stiffen the butt of said shaft. Now if you tip a tip soft shaft you strengthen the tip and should expect a higher launch as the head stays open a touch longer. Spin is usually a divisive measure of the relation of loft on the head at delivery or a low strike on the face.

We should also not forget the other purpose of tipping is to bring the balance point of the shaft in line for shorter clubs as well. This serves 2 purposes. It allows for heavier heads and proper swing weighting.

Oh yea, and Ping heads are heavier by default. Usually 5-7 grams. They also have the lightest, smallest tip as well to offset a little.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr2+ 2W 13° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

BETTINARDI BB1 WIDE

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

Short initial thoughts. I do not have many in depth details or launch monitor numbers, but I do have on course thoughts. Not total apples to apples, but I know what each driver setup did on course with the Tensei and they were extremely similar for me. I had a chance to play 9 holes with my M6 with the Ventus 7x tipped 1/2". My Gamer is the EF Triple 10.5 set on -1/N mated with Tensei PW 70TX untipped. The combo is just great for me. The M6 is 10.5 set on 1 notch lower. Each driver is playing 44.75" at D4 SW, with my grip of choice.

I played the Triple/Tensei on the front 9 and saw my normal results. On the back 9 I switched over to the M6/Ventus. The "wiggle" test of the Ventus, feels a little less heavy in the handle compared to the Tensei, but both shafts were the exact same weight uncut without adapters. The Tensei butt diameter is larger than Ventus. First swing with the Ventus was a very nice fariway finder with a very penetrating trajectory. After a couple more tee shots with the Ventus I noticed Lower launch for me. Very Penetrating flight. I did hit a couple tee shots with both drivers and distance is very similar. Dispersion with the Ventus seems tighter but I also feel I could loft up to Standard setting on the M6. I will get some numbers on a monitor to compare. I must say the Ventus Black is a truly Low/Low shaft. Tipping the shaft is not needed unless you are a 115+ driver SS imho. More thoughts to come.

• Qi10- Kai’li White 60TX
  • Tsi3 5W -  Tensei White 70X
  • P790 3I - AD DI
  • P7TW 4-PW -  $ Taper
  • MG4 52 - 58 - $ Taper
  • GoodWood 
  • TP5X

> @Jobr1850 said:

> I live in Surrey, UK. Want a new driver shaft, rung round loads of Fujikura dealers, emailed a distributor etc nobody has a black to demo.

Give Precision Golf UK a call: https://www.precisiongolf.co.uk/

also, take a look for more in your area: https://fujikuragolf.com/dealer-locator

let me know if that is helpful or shoot me a DM and I can connect you with our distributor there who could maybe help.