Old age help!

Zigzog

Hoping for some good advice here.

I am a long time golfer, 35 years plus. I still play to a good standard (plus index).

Like many on here, I like to try out new gear and have loads of irons etc.

My issue lately has been joint tiredness when playing and some aching elbows after/during my game.As a result of this I can still hit some great shots, but find that sometimes now I miss when just not committing fully to the shot and really not loading up the shaft so to speak. I think some of this will be joint tiredness and some a slight defense to the elbow pain.

I play Modus 125x in my irons, and my other sets all have x flex in them. So I have x100 etc.

Will a lighter shaft take away the effort do you think, will it reduce the elbow pain? I am a low flight player, always have been as i grew up playing links golf in strong winds and my game is used to this need.

I dont want to come off the golf course exhausted so to speak and dont want the pain. I am just not sure whether all steel shafts would be the same, or will a lighter shaft or maybe more importantly a softer flex help me. What about Steelifiber, I have read many saying these took away joint pain, although I think they can be quite stout from what I have read.

Thanks in advance, seems old age does not come on it's own!

I'm not a fitter, just a golfer, so don't take this as gospel, but...

Like you, I play some pretty heavy shafts, but I've had back injury recently, and have tried some lighter shafts. I'm talking going from a DGX100 or S300 to a NSPRO 1050 or Modus 105.

Whilst I still love the idea of lighter shafts, initially I found the huge jump a bit too much to take for my swing. I missed the feel of the weight in the downswing.

I'm not saying it can't work, rather that you might need to some time to make adjustments, or drop down gradually, say trying the True Temper DG 120 or 115 shafts. And then there's different shaft profiles to consider...

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, so I'm interested to see what people have to say about this.

Passenger in the same boat. I believe lighter weight and shock absorption is the ticket. Many stories to f it working on this site. I second the prior poster’s suggestion to not go down in weight too quickly. For me, the graphite shaft selection effort has been a rabbit hole. Probably best to go to a fitter w lots of options and expertise.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Alternatively, I found it easier to find a lighter weight steel option first due to more comfort w steel. Lighter alone should be of some benefit. Once you find lighter steel, you can stop there or calmly search for your graphite shaft of choice.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

> @justasgood said:

> 35+ and exhausted? May want to have your LowT tested.

I believe that he meant that he has been playing 35+ years, which likely makes him close to 50.

EDIT: Sorry, @Loomis13 posted just as I was posting mine, I guess.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

I am in a similar position as you. I am experimenting with tour weighted graphite shafts in my irons. It definitely seems to help, as vibration more than weight is the source of my joint fatigue. That and a lack of stretching...

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

I've been playing 50+ years and started feeling my age about 10 years ago. While never had a plus handicap, I did play to a single digit handicap until my early 50's. Arthritis and other health issue started creating havoc with my game and I made the transition to graphite and more forgiving clubs. I was afraid to leave what I knew and so I converted a few clubs (5 iron and 7 iron) to graphite and tried them for a number of rounds. It wasn't long before I realized that I could play them as well as steel shafts and so I added rest of short irons. Been playing 3 seasons with graphite and not sure I could go back. I love old blades and have a number of sets which I sneak back to every so often - result is always the same, shaft too heavy and body too sore. Good luck with finding a solution that fits your game best.

• Like 2

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

I'm 72 years old and didn't start playing golf till I was 67 so I have no memory of what it was like to play steel shafts or have a fast swing speed. I find that playing lighter shafts (in my case graphite) to be much easier on the joints. I also found that doing strength training at the gym doing the offseason really makes it much easier to maintain your performance level during the golf season.

• Like 1

I too am 35+ playing years. I lost count over the years of how many cortisone injections in both elbows, interior and exterior. Three years ago i switched out the Project X 6.0 for Steelfiber i95. I wont lie, it took a few months to get used to the lighter weight, but will never go back. For someone who hits a lot of balls the repetitive impact was excruciating pain.

Now, elbows feel great and don't cringe at the thought of an extended range session.

• Like 1

Thanks all, yes I have been playing for 35 years plus - although I did start young! :)

I do have the availability of several fitting areas near where I live, only difficulty on this for me is that in the case of Graphite or Steelfiber, there seems to be very limited availability of these shafts for trial.

I may try and source a demo club with a Steelfiber shaft fitted to try it out - if that is possible.

I need to do something, the elbow pain is taking away a fair bit of the enjoyment for me.

While they don't look to be a current offering, you can still find Sensicore shafts from TT and they do come in x100's. Flex is a little software than the standard x100 and the sensicore really does a nice job of dampening things out. I've dealt with a lot of wrist pain thanks to hockey injuries, since making the switch about 5 years back they've felt a lot better after a lot of practice or a long day of playing.

Beyond that, there's a lot of great options these days. Don't rule out graphite for sure, graphite iron shafts have come a long long way.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I'm 65 now and over the last 10 years I have gone from TT S300 shafts to KBS Tour 105S and now Recoil F3 95 graphite in my Mizunos. I haven't had any elbow pain for over a year now and my back is very much better, even with a partially fused vertebrae T12/L1! I am adjusting nicely to the weight of the irons. Recoil 95 are a no charge option with Mizuno, so why not arrange a fitting with your local Mizuno Pro?

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

I had elbow pain last year....switched to steel fiber and pain went away. This season, since elbows felt good I went to a lighter Nippon 105X shaft from 120X. Pain came on like a freight train. I am rehabbing now, but very convinced that graphite vs steel was more important than heavy vs. lighter shaft.

I have 100G graphite shafts in Callaway Pro irons. They are very good. Steelfiber took too much spin off my irons, hitting low bullets. For reference I am 50 years old, 3 index, hit my 7 iron about 170 in the air

So, I am one year older than the time you have been golfing. I’m 36 (golfing for 27 years now ) that being said I have arthritis in my hands and around my feet. These are unpopular because of the DeShambeau but since switching to jumbo max grips I have no pain in my hands whatsoever after around of golf. I don’t get pain in my wrists or elbows but I find the dampening affective a large grip amazing! They are expensive so it would be a large investment for an entire set but experimenting with a wedge, a six iron, and the driver might be worth your time and money

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

53 years old and been playing since my teens here. I've experienced all of the issues OP laid out myself. Some of the steps I've taken:

I've played Sensicore's in all my shafts for about 15 years and have always been a fan. I loaded up on them when they quit making them available for builders. I like to tinker and they go into every steel shaft I play. Also switched to midsize softer grips after playing cords and half cords in my younger days because I didn't like to wear a glove back then.

As for shaft weight, I just made a conscious shift a couple years ago to a lighter and higher launching steel shaft. Experimented with a few different ones and I settled on the FST 90 and really hit that shaft well. I tried to back up to the FST 115 but I just don't hit that shaft as well. I used to always be a low ball hitter myself and I just had to convince myself that I was going to have to launch it higher in order to get some distance back. It freaked me out to put the ball up so high in the air but truthfully it's not really that high...just higher than what I was used to seeing. But it worked. I got some distance back, I can hold greens better than when I was hitting it lower....and most of all, it has cut down on the aches and pains in my hands, wrists, elbows, etc..

Good luck in your quest to figure it out. Enjoy the journey.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Long time x100 player, dropped to project X 6.0 when I turned 50. Recent years had tendinitis problems in my left elbow and arthritis in both hands. Switched to Steelfiber i95 about a year ago and the tendinitis went away and never came back. Found the ball flight very comparable to S300. Other graphite shafts I tried launched higher and were spinner than I was looking for. YMMV. Steel Fiber i95 S hard stepped or X soft stepped might be a good starting point.

Not sure I am ready for full graphite yet, fight that old age!

Had another round today, 15 greens hit and a pretty hot putter got me another decent round on a tough course. The dispersion from the steel fibers is impressive, some real lasers out there. Long may it continue.

Fair to say I am converted for now, no joint pain. Previously after two rounds in two days I would have had significant discomfort.

I added some lead weight to the heads, to try and bring the flight down a bit - played today and was far happier with the flight.

Only missed 2 greens, so I am well and truly sold on the shafts; will continue to tinker with various amounts of lead weight until i get it right.

Main thing is , no elbow pain :smile:

• Like 3

> @Zigzog said:

>

> My issue lately has been joint tiredness when playing and some aching elbows after/during my game.As a result of this I can still hit some great shots, but find that sometimes now I miss when just not committing fully to the shot and really not loading up the shaft so to speak. I think some of this will be joint tiredness and some a slight defense to the elbow pain.

>

> I play Modus 125x in my irons, and my other sets all have x flex in them. So I have x100 etc.

>

> Will a lighter shaft take away the effort do you think, will it reduce the elbow pain? I am a low flight player, always have been as i grew up playing links golf in strong winds and my game is used to this need.

I turned 69 last week, and this season I've noticed some tingling elbows if I'm lucky enough to play two or three days in a row. And, this is after having toned down my swing to more tempo and less brute force.

I would suggest you look at some of the graphite shafts. As for the SteelFibers, these are probably the most robust of the non-metal shafts. They are the graphite equivalent of the Project X family in steel.

Take a look at the Recoil family: 16 shaft models just for irons, plus two each for hybrids and woods. The shafts for irons range in weight from 48 to 125 grams. Graphite shafts in general absorb more vibration than do the steel shafts, saving wear and tear on the joints. I will be following you, either reshafting or getting new irons with graphite shafts.

A somewhat lighter shaft with a softer flex is worth considering. In my situation, I have hybrids with 75-gram Senior Flex shaft that work quite well. I didn't know slightly heavier Senior shafts existed until a fitter showed them to me.

And - **as all GolfWRXers know** - be sure to try out different shafts and heads, get fitted, and see what gives you the best combination of numbers and feel.

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> Whilst I still love the idea of **lighter shafts, initially I found the huge jump** a bit too much to take for my swing. I missed the feel of the weight in the downswing.

> I'm kind of in the same boat as you, so I'm interested to see what people have to say about this.

Club designer Tom Wishon gives this caution to players moving to lighter shafts: Don't go overboard. Go light enough it makes a difference, but not so much you overswing.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

You guys are lucky, as my line of work is very tough on joints. In my 30's I had to switch to graphite because of tennis elbow. I also did play tennis, but that has been awhile. Now nothing but graphite and the pain has returned somewhat. It helps to have a "time out" because of weather, time to rest.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

> @SM8 said:

> I too am 35+ playing years. I lost count over the years of how many cortisone injections in both elbows, interior and exterior. Three years ago i switched out the Project X 6.0 for Steelfiber i95. I wont lie, it took a few months to get used to the lighter weight, but will never go back. For someone who hits a lot of balls the repetitive impact was excruciating pain.

> Now, elbows feel great and don't cringe at the thought of an extended range session.

At 59, I definitely understand what you are talking about. I too made the switch to the SF i95's. I came from Stiff DG300's, so no X flex, but had little issue adjusting to the lighter weight shafts. Flex played very similar to the DG300's. The i95's are easy on the joints and I'll never go back to steel shafts. There are also so many different graphite shafts for irons coming out now... so you have lots of options to try.