MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

6f7vno1yb6cm.jpeg

L.A.B. Golf and GolfWRX are really excited to bring you this member testing event! We have 10 members that recently got fit for their L.A.B. putter and are going to be putting their reviews and photos here. Please feel free to ask any of these testers more about their putter and their experience with it. The testers are...

@granata10

@magnus7319

@moorebaseball

@Digger818

@TheMagicStinger

@Laznasty

@Smitty1304

@TMBob

@wcbjr

@scottaz

We also want to give a huge THANK YOU to L.A.B. Golf for putting on this testing event!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

**Huge thank you to L.A.B. Golf and GolfWRX to for this opportunity!**

I do not have any photos yet, but I am happy to share my initial thoughts centered around L.A.B. Golf's customer service and the fitting process and my initial impressions of the fit and feel of the 2.1.

Shortly after being notified that I was one of the lucky ones I received a call from Sam Hahn, the CEO of L.A.B. Golf. Sam is one of those people you can talk to easily without being worried that the conversation is going to dry up or be awkward. I was nervous about the initial phone call to discuss my tendencies and the fitting... but we talked wedges, golf in general, Illinois weather, and then finally his product and the fitting process. The fitting process was really easy. A simple 10 second video to Sam is all it took... I was skeptical but my specs were right on.

I received the putter on Monday. Sam called me to walk me through a couple of useful tips to get the 2.1 rolling nicely. One of them was to use gravity to control the distance of my putt. Meaning... longer stroke, longer putt. Another tip was to move the ball up in my stance about one ball's width. This really threw me off as my putting stance is pretty narrow and I feel like moving the ball up has forced me to widen my stance and step up move over the putter, ball, and the line. Upon talking to Sam about this, he mentioned most users manipulate their technique to become more neutral with the 2.1t. Overall, the putter seems to fit me properly. I'm rolling the ball true to the line that I'm choosing. What I am really impressed with is how much this putter allows me to get over the ball and see where it is going.

I had a very brief session on the practice green with really great results. I will continue to report back with photos, videos, and additional thoughts as I get more course time with the putter.

• Like 1

Thank you GWRX and L.A.B Golf.

Putting is the strongest part of my game. I've used a lot different putters of the years, Piretti, Bettinardi and SC's mostly. My results don't vary much. I don't like inserts. I prefer them on the heavy side, 360+.

What's most important is that they line up square (without manipulation) and they fit my stroke, which is a slight arc. But I've had putters that didn't do either very well and still had pretty solid results after making a few minor adjustments.

I spoke with Sam shortly after hearing from Knudson. I let him know that I wanted to test the stainless steel blad.1. He asked that I also give the 2.1 a try. My impression was Sam felt the 2.1 was incredibly forgiving on off center strikes and while that's not something that concerns me much, it did pique my interest.

I shot a video and sent it to Sam and within a few hours he let me know my specs. 35", 70*. OG PressGrip 1.5* on the blad.1. Same grip 3* with 2.1. Black shafts. He asked my preference on alignment and placed the order that day.

It sounds like I'll have the 2.1 this week and the blad.1 about a week later.

I'm looking forward to testing them both and sharing with you all. I'll take pics when they come and answer any questions.

Congrats to testers! I can tell you from experience y’all will not be disappointed. A meme er at my club just got his last week and he let me test it out on the putting green and all I can saw is that I instantly feel in love! The roll and feel was soooo smooth. I’m planning on doing a mobile fitting and placing an order around Christmas. Also, he had the matte black and it was killer!

hi8s14q90hod.jpeg

l3xkrgzx1r2z.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

First and foremost a big thank you to L.A.B Golf and the crew at WRX

A little about my game. I’m a 10 handicap with putting being the weakest part of my game. I’ve tried a lot of different putters the last couple of years. But I still push and pull to many short putts.

So when I found out I was chosen to be a tester I was super stoked. I got a call from Sam Hohn from L.A.B and we talk about my putting faults. . He said I would benefit from a 3 line alignment setup number 5 when ordering.

Next step was a short video of my putting stroke for the remote fitting. I was giving a 34” 68 degree loft 2.1 mallet. The grip is a press 2.M with the matte black shaft.

About 1 week later the putter arrived.

rdybmpes1w80.jpeg

gcq9bvvy7pp1.jpeg

The putter head is bigger than anything I’ve used before. Saying that the putter itself is very easy on the eye. The Grip is a great concept with the built in forward shaft lean.

ig1ituyezkkd.jpeg

hiiqnz8z2j0j.jpeg

On to the putting green at my local muni course. I tried to call Sam on my way over but he was unavailable. I did remember a few things from our first phone call. One of which was act like your throwing darts. Just aim on your line and make your stroke. You don’t need to worry about squaring the head to the ball at contact because the putters technology will do that for you.

The result was better than normal. It felt like all my putts have a chance of dropping in the hole. The distance control was real easy to dial in too. The roll of the ball off the putter face was impressive, when I deliberately hit it more towards the inner and outer lines on my putter. I did notice a difference as excepted but not much.

I’m excited to play my first round with it tomorrow in a Nassau with my normal foursome. Putting for a little cheddar always puts some pressure on me.

Stay tuned for my follow up results.

Made it out for a quick nine holes today. I didn't not record any content or take any photos as I was playing quickly.

This head is big, but I used to game a Kombi long head cut down to a belly putter so it is pretty comparable in terms of size. The aluminum feels the same too.

On to the putting.

I played nine holes and my approaches weren't doing me any favors. I didn't have any initial looks within 8 feet. I finished with **18 putts** but **6 lipped out on the high side**, if I make 4 of those I'm finishing my round of 9 holes at 1 under. My one putt over 30 feet I made for birdie. I talked with Sam a little bit after the round and he emphasized taking some break out as the putter will allow the ball to hold the line. I fully expect this flatstick to be a game changer for me. I didn't hit one bad putt all day. Everything felt solid and aligning the putter was a cake walk. As much as I hate to see my long neck leave the bag... I think the 2.1 has a permanent spot.

I played 27 holes this weekend. The putter out preforms any putter I ever had. I never had so much confidence in my putting. A 4’ putt is almost a guarantee now. It’s basically point and shoot with the roll On the ball so tight. Long putts are easy to dial in the distance and have a good chance to go in.

The putter is definitely Staying in the bag. I I’ll post some videos later in the week.

• Like 1

> @Digger818 said:

> I played 27 holes this weekend. The putter out preforms any putter I ever had. I never had so much confidence in my putting. A 4’ putt is almost a guarantee now. It’s basically point and shoot with the roll On the ball so tight. Long putts are easy to dial in the distance and have a good chance to go in.

>

> The putter is definitely Staying in the bag. I I’ll post some videos later in the week.

> @Digger818 said:

> I played 27 holes this weekend. The putter out preforms any putter I ever had. I never had so much confidence in my putting. A 4’ putt is almost a guarantee now. It’s basically point and shoot with the roll On the ball so tight. Long putts are easy to dial in the distance and have a good chance to go in.

>

> The putter is definitely Staying in the bag. I I’ll post some videos later in the week.

Isn't this putter so good?!!?!?!? I find myself putting off the fringe (something I never do) because I am feeling just that confident. Obviously I want to sink every putt but if I am unsure of the line or speed I'm just picking a preliminary safe spot to aim that will put me in a good spot for a two putt and going from there. I am no longer worried about bad putts.

• Like 1

>

> Isn't this putter so good?!!?!?!? I find myself putting off the fringe (something I never do) because I am feeling just that confident. Obviously I want to sink every putt but if I am unsure of the line or speed I'm just picking a preliminary safe spot to aim that will put me in a good spot for a two putt and going from there. I am no longer worried about bad putts.

It’s funny you mention that because I putted off the fringe every time with this putter. Rarely With my other putters and the results were good too.

I was telling my Son that putting with Directed force putter is almost like cheating

Thank you to Lab Golf for my chance at reviewing your putter. It's been fun!

I wasn't really expecting the personal experience with Mr. Hahn, over the phone, email and text. That man is committed, and a nice guy to boot.

Got the putter about 3-4 days ago, finally got a chance to play a round with it yesterday.

Packaging was great. Fit and finish is fantastic. The build quality of the putter is very apparent. Something that stood out was the headcover. It's stout and it is magnetic which I love. Length is spot on from my instructions.

On course performance was interesting. Putting on the practice green was very inspiring. Putts from any distance as good as or better than my Scotty mallet. On the course, long and medium range putts were good. Short putts is where I struggled. I don't know if it's because the greens were going dormant and really fast, or the putter feeling a bit light or I am just not that great from inside 6 feet. I might try adding some weight while taking care to keep the lie angle balancing.

But good news, I should have two more rounds coming up this weekend to get a little more acclimated. Another review to come soon!

![](https://imgur.com/GF3twGH.jpg "")

![](https://imgur.com/xkSeuEL.jpg "")

![](https://imgur.com/VrPBLoR.jpg "")

![](https://imgur.com/TWxbBhG.jpg "")

![](https://imgur.com/B6TUjJ9.jpg "")

![](https://imgur.com/PRPFKaP.jpg "")

![](https://imgur.com/d6wxxVY.jpg "")

![](https://imgur.com/aoFqLoF.jpg "")

![](https://imgur.com/eaS00Vq.jpg "")

> @wcbjr said:

> Thank you to Lab Golf for my chance at reviewing your putter. It's been fun!

>

> On course performance was interesting. Putting on the practice green was very inspiring. Putts from any distance as good as or better than my Scotty mallet. On the course, long and medium range putts were good. Short putts is where I . I don't know if it's because the greens were going dormant and really fast, or the putter feeling a bit light or I am just not that great from inside 6 feet. I might try adding some weight while taking care to keep the lie angle balancing.

Give Sam a call to discuss the weight. I had the same issue and he was really helpful. The head is actually heavier than you might think. It's the lack of torque making it feel light.

> @TheMagicStinger said:

> Give Sam a call to discuss the weight. I had the same issue and he was really helpful. The head is actually heavier than you might think. It's the lack of torque making it feel light.

Yeah, I put it on the swingweight scale, and it wasn't on the scale. Probably would have been an H-something. I'm just used to my Cameron with the added 40grams of weight on the head. Sam did contact me after my post and I let him know that my review is definitely incomplete. I have two rounds coming up this weekend so I'll get a much better feel for the putter.

• Like 1

I want to thank GolfWRX and LAB Golf for this opportunity, thank you Sam for the conversations and all the info you have shared. A little about me, I am a former club pro (who plays way more golf now) and my index is around +1. I have always been a good putter, I would say its a strength of my game, but there was also a streakiness to my putting. I have used the same putter, mostly, for the past 7 years; Ping Nome TR - Standard lie angle (70*) and 35".

The initial conversation with Sam was great and you can tell he has a passion for golf and for what he is doing, like others have said, he is real easy to talk to. I sent my video, and received another call from Sam, he said at address I was at a 70* lie angle but almost immediately would flatten out the putter a few degrees, I had no idea. By his recommendation, my specs came out to 68* lie angle and 34.25'" length (.75" shorter that I was used to and 2* flatter). Honestly I don't think I have ever been fit for a putter, I have been a SAM machine once but that was years ago, so it was cool to know what specs I should be using.

The putter came in about a week ago, of course I was out of town at a business meeting. As soon as I got home I went right to my putting mat to hit a few putts. Initially I felt like the putter was a little light but I loved how easy it was to setup, and I really like how the Press grip forces you to get your hands slightly in front of the ball. I spoke with Sam again the next day, he explained that the lack of torque was why the putter felt light, its actually about 30 grams heavier than my current putter. I spent about 45 minutes on the putting green with the Directed Force 2.1 and my Ping Nome. The first thing I noticed is how smooth the ball rolled coming off the face, it was always right on my line and the roll was very true. It was easy setup to and for me became almost automatic on anything inside 10' as long as I had the read correct. For me this putter was incredible easy inside 10' and that is where I noticed the biggest difference. WIth the Directed Force it seemed like I was always making it in the center of the cup, not just lipping it in. The one area I did struggle with at first was lag putting, and Sams advice, "do not try and power the putter through, take a longer stroke and let gravity do the work" turned out to be very true and helpful. After the putting green session I was very impressed but needed to try it on the course.

I have now played about 36 holes with the putter and had a couple sessions on the putting green. _I am a believer in Lie Angle Balancing_! It did take a little adjustment (I moved the ball up in my stance slightly and lag putting did take a some getting used to) but this putter (and the lack of torque) make it very easy to hit good putts consistently! That consistency is why I am a believer. I no longer have to "fix it" with my hands. I no longer worry about "the arc of my stroke". I just aim the putter take my stance and swing it back and through and I know it will start on my line and have a good, true roll to it.

Here are the Pics, if you would like more, or have any questions fire away!

42j2uo5un3v8.jpeg

z6t5sxunj2dj.jpeg

v1aam7jlmlgm.jpeg

4izjhgiutq13.jpeg

o2h4l90d7780.jpeg

aamhk9a4uw0i.jpeg

ool2pfz2cdef.jpeg

njwdroa821en.jpeg

r7f0gsp0mrqj.jpeg

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

In to read the reviews.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

> @granata10 said:

> And for those of you who comment about looks, I don't ever see / notice anything behind the shaft!

I didn't even think about this but now I completely agree. I'm so pre occupied with getting over the line and what's between the face and the hole the rest of the putter kind of disappears on me...

Thanks to GolfWRX, L.A.B. Golf and CEO Sam Hahn for the opportunity!

After a personal phone discussion with Sam discussing my putting and tendencies, I sent him a video of my putting stroke for a remote fitting. From this, Sam came up with the following putter specs for my custom build.

Directed Force 2.1 - Blue

Lie Angle: 72.5 Degrees

Shaft Length: 34"

Grip: OG PressGrip Installed (2.M was included uninstalled)

Shaft Type: FST Matte Black Tour Shaft

Alignment: #36

My initial thoughts when the package showed up on my doorstep is that it was packaged extremely well and in a well designed box to prevent damage. Upon opening the package and seeing the putter for the first time, I was quite shocked at the size and footprint of the putter with the headcover on. The headcover itself appears to be very high quality with nice stitching and plenty of padding to prevent any damage. The magnets are plenty strong to keep the putter secure.

After removing the putter from the cover, the footprint is obviously still very large in comparison to most putters - but definitely shrinks a decent amount with the size of the provided headcover. The blue finish on the putter looked immaculate with no imperfections and is somewhat unique compared to the traditional black finish I have typically seen. I also really like the look of the #36 ball alignment marking on the top of the putter, as it fits my eyes with me being severely left eye dominant.

Now for some pics:

5d1zap1raqqt.jpg

tbax2co5z8wb.jpg

obpd445btnr2.jpg

catwalg5kuw4.jpg

tse35dg1lhlv.jpg

rib9vwji6t1h.jpg

Comparison of Evnroll ER6:

itrkiglcy1oj.jpg

771jptyzt6aq.jpg

As you can see, the footprint is large in comparison to my ER6 - especially the face-on view. While the putter big, it's not displeasing for me personally. It instills a lot of confidence with the amount of real estate you're able to work with.

So far I've been able to play 2 rounds of golf. The first round was at Stone Canyon (Link: https://www.stonecanyongolfclub.com/) and is one of the nicer public courses in my area. The green complexes can be quite difficult with plenty of undulation and were running 11-12 that day. With this being the first time rolling this putter, I was struggling with my speed all day long with hitting it with too much pace. This surprised me, as one of the complaints I've seen with this putter is that you had to hit the ball harder to get to the hole. I didn't find the same thing, as the putter was able to get the ball rolling extremely well and true. I was also surprised at how well the putter felt with it not being overly soft or harsh feeling. It doesn't feel as clicky as my Evnroll ER2 or ER6.

The 2nd round I was able to play 3 days after was at Fred Arbanas (Link: https://www.makeyourdayhere.com/174/Championship-Course). While this course doesn't have as fast or complex greens, they can still be a challenge. I was able to make the adjustment from the 1st round and my pace was much better on the lag putts. The alignment on this putter is the best I've used and standing over the ball just gives you the feeling that you will make every putt. The oval PressGrip does take some adjustment optically with the forward shaft lean, but can be alleviated by shifting the ball position forward slightly. I'm looking forward to switching the grip to the 2.M Grip others have posted to see how that feels.

For now, this is definitely kicking my ER6 out of the bag and will continue to post updates. If you're able to get over the aesthetics of this putter, I highly recommend trying one out- the alignment and lie angle balancing technology are superb! Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer.

> @ethan380 said:

> Do you find speed control on shorter putts challenging with such a large head?

Not at all. The large head doesn't translate to missile launcher by any means. The length of your stroke with this thing should be controlling the distance. Which is nice if you can keep the same tempo from putt to putt.

> @ethan380 said:

> Do you find speed control on shorter putts challenging with such a large head?

I haven't had a problem at all. I have been a mallet user for a while but this was bigger than my mallet. I purposely gave myself some tricky putts and did not have a problem.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

> @ethan380 said:

Short putts weren't the issue for me. It was the longer lag putts I struggled with the 1st round. I would attribute most of that due to not playing the last month and a new putter. What I really find easy is the alignment and letting the putter do the work without having to manipulate the face as much as a traditional putter.

> @BunkerSnot said:

> Very unique putter. The shaft going through the grip at an angle is some next world stuff, I look forward to learning more about all you experiences with this putter.

I believe they do that to reduce the onset of the face. Regardless of why, when you set the putter down the grip and the way the shaft runs really make it easy to setup in a good position. To me it felt natural right away.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

Placeholder.

My Putter is in transit and will be delivered 11/1. Can't wait to try out the press grip and alignment that Sam recommended. I had a couple pretty great conversations with Sam about my stroke and aim bias, etc...

Will update upon arrival!

~~~

Ok! UPS delivered it a day early!

_**And before I forget, many thanks to LAB/Directed Force & Sam Hahn & Golf WRX for this opportunity.**_

I added some unboxing photos attached below.

Of course it's raining cats & dogs today, 2" of rain in the forecast, so I'm limited to some carpet putting this evening.

My initial impressions are that the head is large, like very large. It makes some other mallets look quite small... but it is not heavy. It has good balance if that makes sense. I ordered the original OG press grip, as I do have an exaggerated press in my stroke, and I'm not a big fan of the size of the Super Stoke grips (even a 2.0 is just a little too large in my hands and I tend to push my putts). The oval shape is a little weird, but after a few putts I didn't notice it honestly. The press grip almost feels like I need to play the putter towards the middle of my stance and not forward press since the shaft is inserted in the middle of the head and the grip is already angles forward. Definitely something I need to play around with and ask Sam about.

I have a call into Sam to let him know my putter arrived, and he requested I give him a heads up when I received it and he would give me a few tips using the putter. We had talked at some length about the pretty good arc to my stroke and my left aim bias....so I'm interested in what he has to say. In the meantime, I'll be fooling around putting indoors and I cant wait to hit the practice green tomorrow and play this weekend.

I'll update in additional posts in this thread as I test the putter, while I leave this initial post as the "unboxing and initial impression" post.

cokxdy5gosn3.jpeg

1z1c7t3aq634.jpeg

snksayew87jq.jpeg

76cvobxeqgx4.jpeg

fhsmmhipabko.jpeg

2gatezdejcx4.jpeg

zqvkyunyvjga.jpeg

35p26s5xijp3.jpeg

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

Was able to get on the putting green again yesterday. The more I putt with this putter the more I like it.

An observation from yesterday that might help others. I found it was easier to put the shaft, where it enters the head, in the middle of my stance (essentially where I would put a traditional putter). This put the ball more forward and in the correct spot with this putter.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

I played my first round with the 2.1 yesterday. The greens at my club are extremely fast and firm but we played in light showers and mist, so greens were slower than normal. 28 putts.

I'm playing again tomorrow and over the weekend and will wait to get a few more rounds in before sharing much more. One thing I'll mention...I have the original press grip on it and did not like it very much. It's oval and it didn't sit well on either side. I made a slight adjustment and putted well but this is something I would likely change and spoke to Sam about it after the round. More to come soon.