2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Injuries....

MtlJeff

So I tore my MCL recently....

It kinda sucks but isn't that bad. No running for a couple of months, can't do anything too heavy in the gym, mostly just arm stuff. Able to hit balls a bit but can't go at it too hard. Plus i have to wear a knee brace which means i have to wear baggy suit pants LOL. I look like if MC Hammer started working in an office. At least it's winter here

I haven't had too many injuries that have kept me from doing stuff for multiple months. Been lucky i guess. You guys going through anything? Or what kind of stuff have you dealt with?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 4 pieces of metal in my body so well familiar with downtime and PT. Sadly payment for doing crazy extreme sports in my younger days and staying relatively injury free.

2 hips replaced contributing factors ice hockey snowboarding golf skiing

Plate and 8 screws in collarbone after breaking it twice in 90 days cause bull riding

Titanium band in left foot after tearing tendon and ruptured ligament. All of the above

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Morton’s neuroma in 2016 that kept me out for about 8 months.

Last Tuesday bent over to pick up our son and before making it all the way down - I was locked up. By later that day I was in pain I had not imagined existed. Bulging disc pressing on sciatic nerve. The nerve pain down my left leg was worse than a kidney stone. I’m out 6 weeks now.

I had a “plan” to more this year, popped for 3 rounds in February and even posted 2 decent scores. We’ll see what happens here I guess.

Not sure, just started one night and couldn't walk in the morning. Physio says the "pop" is usually associated with the total detachment, the one that requires surgery.

I didn't get that, mine should heal with rest.

Probably overuse between running, deadlift and squats

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

^^^ btw you guys have already thoroughly trounced me

I hope you feel better soon GAF, the sciatic stuff is just awful I hear

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It kinda sucks but isn't that bad. No running for a couple of months, can't do anything too heavy in the gym, mostly just arm stuff. Able to hit balls a bit but can't go at it too hard. Plus i have to wear a knee brace which means i have to wear baggy suit pants LOL. I look like if MC Hammer started working in an office. At least it's winter here

I haven't had too many injuries that have kept me from doing stuff for multiple months. Been lucky i guess. You guys going through anything? Or what kind of stuff have you dealt with?

Sorry to hear about that!! get better soon.Is it your trail leg or front leg? Front leg is going to be tough. My buddy tore his acl playing hockey couldnt fully trust his plant leg for 18 months.I had/have a herniated disc with brutal sciatica.Worst thing ever as entire leg goes numb from buttock to foot and burns like hell. I would trade any other injury for it after dealing with it for 14 months of rehab (unsuccessfully). Hang in there man, im not allowed to run or even jog yet so I hear ya!

Morton's neuroma in 2016 that kept me out for about 8 months.

Last Tuesday bent over to pick up our son and before making it all the way down - I was locked up. By later that day I was in pain I had not imagined existed. Bulging disc pressing on sciatic nerve. The nerve pain down my left leg was worse than a kidney stone. I'm out 6 weeks now.

I had a "plan" to more this year, popped for 3 rounds in February and even posted 2 decent scores. We'll see what happens here I guess.

I felt like i was reading a story about me!! I couldnt drive myself home from the course with the same thing.Did you opt for surgery? Ive been putting it off in an attempt to rehab it

Sorry to hear about that!! get better soon.Is it your trail leg or front leg? Front leg is going to be tough. My buddy tore his acl playing hockey couldnt fully trust his plant leg for 18 months.I had/have a herniated disc with brutal sciatica.Worst thing ever as entire leg goes numb from buttock to foot and burns like hell. I would trade any other injury for it after dealing with it for 14 months of rehab (unsuccessfully). Hang in there man, im not allowed to run or even jog yet so I hear ya!

Thankfully I'm a lefty and it's my left leg! So it's a bit easier to make swings though I'm going at it pretty soft right now. Just trying to keep the form.

Get better yourself dude! It sucks when you're used to working out and can't.

I'm feeling a bit better already, for a couple of weeks I had a hard time putting on pants. So, progress

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've got 4 pieces of metal in my body so well familiar with downtime and PT. Sadly payment for doing crazy extreme sports in my younger days and staying relatively injury free.

Plate and 8 screws in collarbone after breaking it twice in 90 days cause bull riding

Titanium band in left foot after tearing tendon and ruptured ligament. All of the above

Btw, how does one get into hockey, snowboarding AND bull riding?

Is there a 51st state that I am unaware of? Haha

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Not sure, just started one night and couldn't walk in the morning. Physio says the "pop" is usually associated with the total detachment, the one that requires surgery.

That stinks, sorry, Jeff.

I had an mcl tear from planting my leg and getting hit from the outside playin da fooball. Pop!

I think, once it heals, you gotta figure out how to strength train your legs again. I cant see how lifting, unless there was some incident causing an inward collapse could cause it. But Id hesitate to give specific advice beyond consulting with docs on the best way to build muscle again.

My other injury was shoulder impingement but I think that was from not working out. Once I started lifting, it went away.

California has it all

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I had an mcl tear from planting my leg and getting hit from the outside playin da fooball. Pop!

I think, once it heals, you gotta figure out how to strength train your legs again. I cant see how lifting, unless there was some incident causing an inward collapse could cause it. But Id hesitate to give specific advice beyond consulting with docs on the best way to build muscle again.

My other injury was shoulder impingement but I think that was from not working out. Once I started lifting, it went away.

I was trying to think of anything else I did, but couldn't think of a defining thing. I never had the "uh oh" pop...just woke up and couldn't walk. Got diagnosed as an MCL tear, but not a detachment like that would need surgery. I don't really know what caused it

Other than hitting balls and jogging I hadn't done much, other than weightlifting

So I just figured it was that. Of course it also could be that time I got kicked in the knee by Chong Li in a kumite

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

California has it all

Of course, should've known that!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Bummer! Best of luck with the recovery.

I was trying to think of anything else I did, but couldn't think of a defining thing. I never had the "uh oh" pop...just woke up and couldn't walk. Got diagnosed as an MCL tear, but not a detachment like that would need surgery. I don't really know what caused it

Other than hitting balls and jogging I hadn't done much, other than weightlifting

So I just figured it was that. Of course it also could be that time I got kicked in the knee by Chong Li in a kumite

Yeah, the kumite. Could have been when you were doing this...

Did your knee ever bother you when hitting balls?

Unlike tendons ligaments wear and don't self repair/heal chances are it may have been a progression injury multiple smaller stresses over time leads to the point it breaks. Finding a good pt is an incredible help in recovery. It sucks but taking the time to recover properly will reduce the odds of having future problems and be faster than trying to push it and making it worse

I stopped counting the small ones long ago. I'm surprised my knees have held up as long as they have especially my left knee. Dislocated kneecap from knee on knee hit in hockey then got it stuck between a 1800lb bull and immovable steel chute gate pole when the bull spun in the chute and came out backwards pinning my knee between it and the pole then turning back into it. That was the last time I rode.

18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120

Unlike tendons ligaments wear and don't self repair/heal chances are it may have been a progression injury multiple smaller stresses over time leads to the point it breaks. Finding a good pt is an incredible help in recovery. It sucks but taking the time to recover properly will reduce the odds of having future problems and be faster than trying to push it and making it worse

Mcl injuries can defintely heal on their own. Surgury is usually not needed. All injuries are individual, of course.

Bummer Jeff.. I missed most of last year to another injury to my right knee- patellar subluxation.. 5th surgery since '90,, I'm running out of meniscus...

Hope you heal up quick.

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Played soccer through college and luckily never had a knee injury.

I have had three back surgeries and the idea of going slow never worked for me. Well, it had to work for me, but toward the end of the recovery, I always wanted to do more. My wife kept me on the chip/pitch/walk routine.

Stay true to the rehab and schedule. As an old amateur guy (I know you are young 30s but still old on an athletic sense) , there is no gain to pushing it.

And best of wishes to you in the recovery.

Last Tuesday bent over to pick up our son and before making it all the way down - I was locked up. By later that day I was in pain I had not imagined existed. Bulging disc pressing on sciatic nerve. The nerve pain down my left leg was worse than a kidney stone. I'm out 6 weeks now.

I had a "plan" to more this year, popped for 3 rounds in February and even posted 2 decent scores. We'll see what happens here I guess.

I felt like i was reading a story about me!! I couldnt drive myself home from the course with the same thing.Did you opt for surgery? Ive been putting it off in an attempt to rehab it

Surgery likely isn’t necessary- pain largely subsided with steroid and Tylenol. Follow up today that I’m guessing will go like this- lose weight. Not some, a lot, and start now. Here’s a referral for rehab. Schedule it today, start asap.

Surgery for bulging disc is almost always more harmful unless it is recurring regularly. At this point it’s a one time thing, hopefully keep it that way. I know what you mean about not being able to drive. Tuesday night I screamed like a T. rex trying to get my shirt off. I made the mistake of laying down in bed during the worst of the spasms- absolutely could not get back up for hours.

On the bright side I was able debunk a guy’s story in a rules thread since I have nothing better to do. The research involved would have been way too in depth if I were mobile.

Surgery likely isn't necessary- pain largely subsided with steroid and Tylenol. Follow up today that I'm guessing will go like this- lose weight. Not some, a lot, and start now. Here's a referral for rehab. Schedule it today, start asap.

Surgery for bulging disc is almost always more harmful unless it is recurring regularly. At this point it's a one time thing, hopefully keep it that way. I know what you mean about not being able to drive. Tuesday night I screamed like a T. rex trying to get my shirt off. I made the mistake of laying down in bed during the worst of the spasms- absolutely could not get back up for hours.

On the bright side I was able debunk a guy's story in a rules thread since I have nothing better to do. The research involved would have been way too in depth if I were mobile.

Ive seen 6 neurologists with 4 MRIs and its hilarious. 2 say surgery 4 say avoid it at all costs! Nerve pain is the worse thing i have ever felt.

Thankfully I'm a lefty and it's my left leg! So it's a bit easier to make swings though I'm going at it pretty soft right now. Just trying to keep the form.

Get better yourself dude! It sucks when you're used to working out and can't.

I'm feeling a bit better already, for a couple of weeks I had a hard time putting on pants. So, progress

I hear ya man and thanks for the kind words. Im doing alot of resitant band work for now as weights havent been cleared and even thats kicking my a**!! Im glad its your trail leg, its a world of difference. My friend was a +2 cap before surgery and cant get below a 4 now.He used to walk now strictly cart but then again it was a complete acl tear and meniscus with constant swelling since of the bursa.

• 8 months later...

Wish me luck... I was helping a buddy move a few weeks ago and felt the bones in my right wrist (pinkie side) move in a way that they weren't supposed to. My strength was pretty bad in that wrist for about a week. Now I've regained most of my strength, but I have some pain at the end of my range of motion and if I accidentally take a big divot, it starts screaming at me. I think I'm going to have to go to an Ortho some time soon and figure out what I did to myself and how to fix it. I'm hoping it's just rest and a brace, but my bet is that there's something worse going on in there.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @lowheel said:

> (Quote)

>

>

>

>

> Ive seen 6 neurologists with 4 MRIs and its hilarious. 2 say surgery 4 say avoid it at all costs! Nerve pain is the worse thing i have ever felt.

As someone who has had back surgery twice (L4-5 herniation on the right side), I recommend taking the advice of the 2 that say have it. I had unimaginable pain for 5 years when I first blew mine out. I was doing contract work and didnt have insurance. After I had it fixed, waking up with no pain literally brought me to tears after the 5 years of agony. I blew it out again lifting weights 1.5 years later and had surgery again. I no longer lift weights, lol.

When I initially injured mine, I had a full on herniation at L4-5 on the right side, and a bulge at L5-S1 on the left side. Never had any symptoms on the left side, just occasional numbness in a few toes. Nothing I couldnt live with. The initial injury was in 07, first surgery in 12, second in 14. I was out jogging one morning early this year and tripped in the street and when I tried to stand up, I couldnt stand up straight. The bulge at L5-S1 finally gave out. I have days where it is misery, and days where it is tolerable. Once it gets to the point that it is unbearable like before, I'll get it fixed again. For now, I live on anti-inflamatory and muscle relaxers.

If it is interrupting your daily life, get it fixed. I have once again forgot what it is like to not have pain in my back, and I'm only 39.

Slight tear/impingement in right rotator cuff. Since it's right shoulder, doesn't stop me from playing golf, but currently going through PT to build up muscle around it to help alleviate the occasional "it hurts when I do this". If I were a lefty, that would be a problem.

My big one was about 5 years ago. In the spring, they found a tumor at base of spine, towards middle of body. Barrage of tests, but benign (whew!) Recommendation was to remove as it could be an issue later on in life and y ou heal better when younger. Had surgery in Nov to remove benign tumor (4cm x 6cm x 2cm) behind my tailbone. They had to remove my tailbone to get to it. About an 6" incision base of spine, down. 2 months of recovery for that one. 1 month straight of not being able to sit on it at all for it to close up and heal. Then another month of PT and protection. Butt, was able to get back out playing golf by the following April. Still a PITA sometimes sitting for long periods of times all these years later. "Hey, I can now complete my turn better! No tension in lower back!"

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

To revive this thread - how did you guys all do this year? I’m playing Friday for the first time since February 2, hit about 30 balls on Sunday. Aside from a few swings in the backyard this summer that was my first taste of golf since I hurt myself. I’ve had a few breaks of 6 months before but none due to injury. The foot thing a few years ago kept me from playing but I was able to hit balls and swing, there wasn’t a risk of rendering myself useless. I feel great, but not going to lie...... I’m nervous.

I actually had my best season ever. Played in some amateur tournaments , including one of the top spots in the Quebec interclub.

My knee is 100% , I'm back to running 50-60k a week. Though I dont deadlift as much anymore. Trying to keep my strength with a variety of other things.

Deschamps Crisp Antique