Callaway APEX MB RAW

124»

Comments

• collje26collje26  670WRX Points: 99Handicap: zeroMembers Posts: 670 Golden Tee
    Does anyone have a set available for sale?
    Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Hzrdus Hulk 70tx
    Ping G400 14.5 Tensei Pro Blue 80tx
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    Ping i500 3/4 PX LZ 6.5
    Ping Blueprint 5-P PX LZ 6.5
    Titleist SM7 54S/60D PX LZ 6.5
    Toulon Austin
    TP5X
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • collje26collje26  670WRX Points: 99Handicap: zeroMembers Posts: 670 Golden Tee
    Posted:
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    Ping i500 3/4 PX LZ 6.5
    Toulon Austin
    TP5X
  • cforseliuscforselius  400WRX Points: 140Members Posts: 400 Greens
    collje26 wrote:

If you are buying from the UK you should use scottsdalegolf.co.uk. They offer taxfree shopping on international orders and are superb to do business with. And they have the Apex MB raw. I dont want to make commerical for them but I have bought form them alot of times and no problems what so ever.
    Posted:
  • bjno1300bjno1300  771WRX Points: 97Members Posts: 771 Golden Tee
    Is there anywhere to get a lefty set of these anymore?
    Posted:
    bjno1300 wrote:

If you click on the link provided above it shows it's still available.
    Posted:
    Ping G 17.5 Rombax P95x
    Ping i500 3/4 PX LZ 6.5
    Toulon Austin
    TP5X
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 2111WRX Points: 1,343Handicap: SnowMembers Posts: 2,111 Platinum Tees

Hit the Apex MB recently and absolutely loved the feel. That said, I was not really missing when I hit them in sim. I can imagine in the wild world they could be pretty punishing. I have hit them outdoors as well and thought they felt absolutely brilliant. Up there with MP5 and MP32 with softest irons I've ever hit. My friend has a set of the raws with TI S400 in them - a shaft I've been wanting to try for a while as I love S300 but it's a bit too soft for me. I love my LZ but there's just something about DG flight. Anyways.. following up on the Raws in terms of durability, feel, etc compared to chrome and how people have been liking them. I don't need to change but I am intrigued by these.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X HZRDUS Handcrafted Black 6.0 85g
    Wilson Staff Blade 4-PW KBS C-Taper Black 125 S+
    Wilson Staff Model Forged Wedges 51 & 56 DG TI S400
    Vokey SM7 60M DG TI S400
    Evnroll ER2B | Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Pro V1x/TP5x

Advertisement
  • Kale_mKale_m  2273WRX Points: 411Members Posts: 2,273 Platinum Tees

On -, @balls_deep said:

Hit the Apex MB recently and absolutely loved the feel. That said, I was not really missing when I hit them in sim. I can imagine in the wild world they could be pretty punishing. I have hit them outdoors as well and thought they felt absolutely brilliant. Up there with MP5 and MP32 with softest irons I've ever hit. My friend has a set of the raws with TI S400 in them - a shaft I've been wanting to try for a while as I love S300 but it's a bit too soft for me. I love my LZ but there's just something about DG flight. Anyways.. following up on the Raws in terms of durability, feel, etc compared to chrome and how people have been liking them. I don't need to change but I am intrigued by these.

Love my raw set with dg TIx100’s

Posted:
    Ping g410 LST 9* weight in toe, PW70tx 
    3wood — TBD 
    Ping g410 3hy at 20*
    Callaway Apex MB Raw TIX100
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Oddessey stoke lab 10s 
  • balls_deepballs_deep Wanna earn 14 bucks the hard way? 2111WRX Points: 1,343Handicap: SnowMembers Posts: 2,111 Platinum Tees

On -, @Kale_m said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

Holding up well? Do you ever feel like you want more help when you aren't completely dialed in (we all have off days). I assume you're playing them down to 4i?

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 60M DG TI S400
    Pro V1x/TP5x

• Z4Z3RZ4Z3R Golfing Guy's Guy Cleveland, OH 140WRX Points: 97Members Posts: 140 Fairways

On -, @balls_deep said:

I have a set of the Apex MB raws. I played them a lot when I first got them but I don't as much anymore. They are holding up very well as any kind of bag chatter isn't shown much on the raw finish compared to a chrome blade. I don't blast balls on the range but again, the raw finish makes it harder to notice wear on the face. I struggle with them compared to some of my other sets as the head is pretty small and even though I game PX in my main set, they just don't have enough forgiveness for me. They are my favorite looking set though.

I want to try putting DG TI or a set of Modus (which I've never tried before) to see if that helps fix the issue. I also play them a little shorter than standard but haven't adjusted the swingweight due to never wanting to tape up blades. However, after seeing Akshay Bhatia's, I need to go pick up some more lead tape!

Posted:
    What's in the Quiver (subject to rapid change)

Callaway Epic 10.5//GD IZ 6x
    Callaway GBB 3w//PX HZRDUS YELLOW 75g 6.5
    Callaway XR 5w//PX HZRDUS YELLOW 85g 6.5 
    Callaway Apex 4h//PX HZRDUS BLACK 85g 6.5
    Miura MB 101 5-P//PX 6.0
    Vokey Raw SM7 50F, 56F, 60M//DG TI S400
    Scotty Cameron T22 Fastback 1.5
    ProV1

On -, @Z4Z3R said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

I have a set of the Apex MB raws. I played them a lot when I first got them but I don't as much anymore. They are holding up very well as any kind of bag chatter isn't shown much on the raw finish compared to a chrome blade. I don't blast balls on the range but again, the raw finish makes it harder to notice wear on the face. I struggle with them compared to some of my other sets as the head is pretty small and even though I game PX in my main set, they just don't have enough forgiveness for me. They are my favorite looking set though.

I want to try putting DG TI or a set of Modus (which I've never tried before) to see if that helps fix the issue. I also play them a little shorter than standard but haven't adjusted the swingweight due to never wanting to tape up blades. However, after seeing Akshay Bhatia's, I need to go pick up some more lead tape!

I've said it before in other threads but the Modus 120 is a very unique profile and it's definitely best to test if you can before reshafting. They are extremely soft in the top of the shaft and quite stiff in the tip. For my swing (which is fast-ish but imperfect with a somewhat violent transition) I can get some inconsistent results when compared to PX and DG. I'd love to try the TX but I don't think I quite have the speed.

Interesting that you find them demanding. That's the thing with this forum - sometimes irons get a rep for being more forgiving than they are. I don't have any issue with blades but I don't want something that is excessively challenging/game affecting.

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 60M DG TI S400
    Pro V1x/TP5x

• arobbins3arobbins3 Michigan 128WRX Points: 94Handicap: 3.5Members Posts: 128 Fairways

On -, @bjno1300 said:

There is a set of Lefty Heads Only on eBay right now.

Posted:

Cobra F9 (9.5°) - Atmos Black 6s
    Cobra F9 (14.5°) - Atmos Blue 7s
    Titleist T-MB (3) - Modus 105s
    Titleist T100 (4-P) - Modus 105s
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 (50-54-60°)
    TaylorMade Spider X

Advertisement
  • puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ Florida 5392WRX Points: 475Handicap: 4Members Posts: 5,392 Titanium Tees

On -, @balls_deep said:

If you are comfortable with the MP5's you will find the callaway mb's
    Relatively comparable. Put the right shaft in these irons and you will
    Play some very satisfying rounds.

Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

On -, @puttingmatt said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

The only thing I didn't like was the grind which could catch as I play in very soft conditions much of the time. Absolutely loved them on burnt out firm turf. The Apex MB are higher bounce/less sharp and will work better I believe.

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 60M DG TI S400
    Pro V1x/TP5x

• puttingmattputtingmatt puttingmatt Summer/ Michigan-- Winter/ Florida 5392WRX Points: 475Handicap: 4Members Posts: 5,392 Titanium Tees

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @puttingmatt said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

The only thing I didn't like was the grind which could catch as I play in very soft conditions much of the time. Absolutely loved them on burnt out firm turf. The Apex MB are higher bounce/less sharp and will work better I believe.

Certainly could be different grinds, I have played many a mizuno mb,
    And currently play the callaway mb, turf interaction has been great with
    Both, and may have something to do with AoA. I am not overly steep with my
    Swing path. That said, I find the callaway's a very nice club to use. I enjoy my
    Rounds, play on sandier soils and they perform decent.

Posted:

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Kale_m said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

Holding up well? Do you ever feel like you want more help when you aren't completely dialed in (we all have off days). I assume you're playing them down to 4i?

No not really. If I am not that dialled In then nothing will help. Bad strikes are bad strikes

I play down to a 4 iron yes. Love the 4 iron off the tee. Great flight.

The thought of changing irons crossed my mind then I think i am not going to get any better feel or performance out of anything else. These will stay in the bag. I play off a 0.7 cap. Practice 1x a week and play at least once a week. Sometimes 2x if I am lucky

Posted:
    3wood — TBD 
    Ping g410 3hy at 20*
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Oddessey stoke lab 10s 

On -, @Kale_m said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Kale_m said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

No not really. If I am not that dialled In then nothing will help. Bad strikes are bad strikes

The thought of changing irons crossed my mind then I think i am not going to get any better feel or performance out of anything else. These will stay in the bag. I play off a 0.7 cap. Practice 1x a week and play at least once a week. Sometimes 2x if I am lucky

Thanks for the reply. Just picked up 7-PW 716 MB to combo in with my current set and I'm going to see how those go. If they're nice and I find no downside to gaming blades to a 7i again, I will try the Apex MBs.

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 60M DG TI S400
    Pro V1x/TP5x

Advertisement
  • revanantrevanant  411WRX Points: 309Members Posts: 411 Greens

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Kale_m said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Kale_m said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

Thanks for the reply. Just picked up 7-PW 716 MB to combo in with my current set and I'm going to see how those go. If they're nice and I find no downside to gaming blades to a 7i again, I will try the Apex MBs.

For what it’s worth, I owned the Apex MB in chrome for about a month and absolutely loved them. They still hold the title for the softest iron I’ve ever hit, and the head size is basically the same as the blueprint / Miura BB.

I flipped them into my MP-4s solely because my MP-4s were cheaper (3-PW vs 6-PW) and in better condition. I didn’t find much to distinguish the two irons—they were both easy to launch and rewarding in good strokes, while less-than-good strikes were predictably very short.

I know that Maltby lists the Apex MB as a very high COG (over .9), but I didn’t find it played that way in my hands. Normally, I don’t get along at all with high COG irons.

I love my MP-4s now, but I can definitely see myself adding a set of Apex MBs back into my bag once the price of a set drops below $300 down the road.

My only real critique on the Apex MB is that the chrome finish seems to show wear very quickly.

Posted:

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Mizuno MP-4 w/ Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54-10 M
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

On -, @revanant said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Kale_m said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Kale_m said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

For what it’s worth, I owned the Apex MB in chrome for about a month and absolutely loved them. They still hold the title for the softest iron I’ve ever hit, and the head size is basically the same as the blueprint / Miura BB.

I flipped them into my MP-4s solely because my MP-4s were cheaper (3-PW vs 6-PW) and in better condition. I didn’t find much to distinguish the two irons—they were both easy to launch and rewarding in good strokes, while less-than-good strikes were predictably very short.

I know that Maltby lists the Apex MB as a very high COG (over .9), but I didn’t find it played that way in my hands. Normally, I don’t get along at all with high COG irons.

I love my MP-4s now, but I can definitely see myself adding a set of Apex MBs back into my bag once the price of a set drops below $300 down the road.

My only real critique on the Apex MB is that the chrome finish seems to show wear very quickly.

Find a set of raw ones. Feel even softer and wear in perfect

Posted:
    3wood — TBD 
    Ping g410 3hy at 20*
    Callaway md4 52/56
    Tm hi toe 60
    Oddessey stoke lab 10s 
  • Lacey UnderallLacey Underall  1214WRX Points: 114Members Posts: 1,214 Platinum Tees

Just FYI, I ordered a set from that golfsupport.com UK site yesterday. They called this morning to tell me Callaway is completely out of the raw heads. I figured that might be the case but it was worth a shot.

Posted:
    2019 WITB
    Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub-Zero 10.5* - Aldila Rogue Max 75x
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* - Aldila Rogue Max 85x
    2-PW: Callaway X-Prototype MBs - Project X 6.5 flighted
    52* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    58* Wedge: Callaway MD2 Slate S Grind
    Putter: Odyssey Sabertooth Versa

Just updating this. Played 27 holes today. First 9 with Apex MB Raw, second with MP20, third with MB raw again. It's soft as all **** up here in Canada right now. Cold and lots of rain. Maybe it's the shafts but I hit the Apex so much better. They've got TI S400 in them so might just be that but much prefer the sole grind on them. Contact just not feeling crisp at all times with the MP20 despite hitting some of the best shots I've ever hit with an iron. As a whole, I play the Apex better. Forgiveness is a wash and slight edge in feel on perfect strikes goes to Mizuno.

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 60M DG TI S400
    Pro V1x/TP5x

• wely324wely324  234WRX Points: 102Members Posts: 234 Fairways

On -, @balls_deep said:

Just updating this. Played 27 holes today. First 9 with Apex MB Raw, second with MP20, third with MB raw again. It's soft as all **** up here in Canada right now. Cold and lots of rain. Maybe it's the shafts but I hit the Apex so much better. They've got TI S400 in them so might just be that but much prefer the sole grind on them. Contact just not feeling crisp at all times with the MP20 despite hitting some of the best shots I've ever hit with an iron. As a whole, I play the Apex better. Forgiveness is a wash and slight edge in feel on perfect strikes goes to Mizuno.

Was just wondering how today's blades compare to one another in terms of forgiveness, as when I tried the MP20's they seemed more forgiving in comparison to my TM RAC mb's from the mid 2000's.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation  1398WRX Points: 383Members Posts: 1,398 Platinum Tees

On -, @wely324 said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

Was just wondering how today's blades compare to one another in terms of forgiveness, as when I tried the MP20's they seemed more forgiving in comparison to my TM RAC mb's from the mid 2000's.

I think today's blades are more forgiving, especially long irons as they have added much more weight to the bottom half making it lower CG and more MOI I guess. Easier to launch. I remember way back when I hit the Tourstage MR-23 blades the 3 iron really was like a butter knife. So beautiful though.

Posted:
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5

On -, @Golfjack said:

On -, @wely324 said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

I think today's blades are more forgiving, especially long irons as they have added much more weight to the bottom half making it lower CG and more MOI I guess. Easier to launch. I remember way back when I hit the Tourstage MR-23 blades the 3 iron really was like a butter knife. So beautiful though.

Generally speaking yes. With the Apex MB the short irons are very easy to hit. Where things get interesting is in the long irons. They have a relatively high CG so you can’t pick or sweep them in the same way you can with a GI long iron - they won’t elevate. You have to have a nice downward strike. They feel brilliant. I have no issue playing the whole set. I find the sole is really what makes the difference in forgiveness for me.

Posted:
    Vokey SM7 60M DG TI S400
    Pro V1x/TP5x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.