Handicap to play blades?

golfinguru11

Contrary to what may have been said, there is no handicap connected to losing strokes or playing blades. And whether someone plays blades depends greatly on the practice regime and game goals. And what costs strokes with any club is brain fa**s, poor self-control but let's not overlook people with a weasel mentality that think playing blades is about some form of snobbery. Never ceases to amaze me, people that can't or won't do whatever usually have judgment and or fear of failure issues, so they shouldn't play blades as they whine till the cows come home and whine some more to others.

At forty years old, I took up the game with off the shelve Pings and switched to Mizuno blades after eight (8) months and reached high single-digit inside of five years, eventually got down to a two. The other day I was motivated so I got my blades out, and they didn't cost me any strokes and I am probably way older than "YOU." They reminded me just how sweet they can be. But it's also important to remember MB internal head design has everything to do with how difficult the head may be to properly hit the ball. All blade designs are NOT created equal, for that matter, neither are player CB's.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

2hc is not near good enough to play blades. Not even close. ?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

> @golfinguru11 said:

> I know lots of tour pros don’t play blades but all of them could without **losing much ground**. But for ams, at what handicap do you start **losing strokes** gaming blades?

>

> fyi-2 handicap who grew up on cbs, just now getting into blades

Well here I think you are referring to an iron's particular benefit. I believe the % of GIR that a player hits is a good indicator of when "losing much ground" starts to occur based off the iron platform the player uses.

Starting from a perfect 18/18 greens where does the player most consistently fall? If routinely a 6, 7, or 8 amount of GIR, that type player is high likely not to have the ball striking ideal for a blade, and GIRs could go higher with another iron choice. If the player hits an 11, 12, 13+ amount of GIR pretty regulary, than IMO they would be able hit most any iron platform they choose.

• Like 1

> @"Kenny Lee Puckett" said:

> Starting from a perfect 18/18 greens where does the player most consistently fall? If routinely a 6, 7, or 8 amount of GIR, that type player is high likely not to have the ball striking ideal for a blade, and GIRs could go higher with another iron choice. If the player hits an 11, 12, 13+ amount of GIR pretty regulary, than IMO they would be able hit most any iron platform they choose.

Maybe some players will strike more square shots (and hit more greens) with a smaller blade style iron than they would a larger head cavity back iron ? I

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

> @balls_deep said:

> > @iceman1118 said:

> > No handicap is necessary. How often do you strike the ball well? Here is a perfect example of this nonsense; last week I was out with my neighbor, former Euro Tour Pro, who has a set of MP-4 blades with PX 6.0 shafts. I game the 2019 P790s with C Taper 130 X. He is a 0 handicap (he does not play too much anymore, otherwise he would easily be a +3 or +4), I am a 7. We were standing on a par 3, 155 yards. I hit my 9 iron pin high, decent strike. I picked up his 9 iron "for science" and had same strike and divot and landed 2 yards short of my first shot. It's a mental thing in my opinion. Can I play blades regularly, absolutely. Do I have to? No. A super game improvement iron will not make you magically hit the ball straight. A blade will not make you chunk every shot. It's perception, plain and simple. No matter what club you are holding from driver to putter, you need to put a good swing on the ball. My two cents.

>

> IMO even a 20 could be fine playing a 9 iron blade. Playing a 210 par 3 over water from the tips you'd notice a difference between the MP4 4 iron and your own.

>

> That said, granted you have the speed to get the launch conditions right for blades the biggest considerations in my testing have been

>

> 1. Sole grind - a sharper grind like Mizuno MP is less forgiving if you come into the ball even the slightest bit early

> 2. Shaft - this is a huge consideration with any club but IMO makes a bigger difference with blades

> 3. CG - if you find one that suits your contact and delivery it can work as well as a CB

>

> For me, granted the shaft is right, I have no issue hitting blades but I have the speed and contact to do so. I know golfers who are much better than I am as a whole who do much better with CBs.

Well I'm pulling 5 wood for the 210 over water because I want it to get there first and foremost, if no wind. Into wind maybe 3 wood, maybe driver, depends on the wind. Left to right wind, well I tend to pull the 5 wood a little left off a tee, but push the 3 wood a little so theres that. If I overspin the 5 wood theres a good chance I'll be short, again, no wind, but if theres wind and I overspin it then Im definitely short. Damn theres more to this game than I thought..................... :)

• Like 1

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @"Kenny Lee Puckett" said:

> > Starting from a perfect 18/18 greens where does the player most consistently fall? If routinely a 6, 7, or 8 amount of GIR, that type player is high likely not to have the ball striking ideal for a blade, and GIRs could go higher with another iron choice. If the player hits an 11, 12, 13+ amount of GIR pretty regulary, than IMO they would be able hit most any iron platform they choose.

>

> Maybe **some players will strike more square shots** (and hit more greens) **with a smaller blade style iron** than they would a larger head cavity back iron ? I

>

>

sure, if they are capable of hitting 11, 12, 13 or more GIR on average. I've never been inspired to give a player who hits 5 greens a round a set of traditional blades. never.

I think for most decent golfers, they can play blades effectively up through 6 iron.

The 5 iron spot is where you need to have the swing speed to elevate the shot decently.

As far as ball striking, I don't think it matters. Most mid to higher cappers that I see playing SGI clubs, can't hit the broad side of a barn anyway. Might as well play blades and sharpen up the game.

Any handicap. Just play them and don't worry about what anyone says to your face or on the tinterweb. Blades are great, superb, wonderful infact. I'm off 12 and play them. I've played them off 20 and 16. The only thing you have to get over will be your ego, when you mate hits his 7i and you have to take your 6i (usual loft differences). Other than that, go for it.

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

> @"Kenny Lee Puckett" said:

> > @Fairway14 said:

> > > @"Kenny Lee Puckett" said:

> > > Starting from a perfect 18/18 greens where does the player most consistently fall? If routinely a 6, 7, or 8 amount of GIR, that type player is high likely not to have the ball striking ideal for a blade, and GIRs could go higher with another iron choice. If the player hits an 11, 12, 13+ amount of GIR pretty regulary, than IMO they would be able hit most any iron platform they choose.

> >

> > Maybe **some players will strike more square shots** (and hit more greens) **with a smaller blade style iron** than they would a larger head cavity back iron ? I

> >

> >

>

> sure, if they are capable of hitting 11, 12, 13 or more GIR on average. I've never been inspired to give a player who hits 5 greens a round a set of traditional blades. never.

If your assumption is that beginners and, or, high handicap players will strike better shots with relatively large cavity back irons than they would traditional size small headed blade style irons, then I disagree.

Specifically, it would not surprise me if some beginner or high handicap players were able to square a relatively small size iron head more consistently (than a large iron head) and consequently hit more greens.

My guess is that if you had 20 high handicap players play a dozen rounds with each type/style iron, 50% of the players would hit more greens with blades and 50% would hit more greens with large cavity back irons.

Look at your current irons. Start with the short irons and work your way up to the mid irons. Are the ball marks for your strikes in the center? If they are you can probably play them. If you tend to hit the ball toward the toe or thinnish, then don't think about buying a set. I tried the the Apex MB irons after playing the 2013 X-Forged for a long time. I was about a half a club shorter with them. Went to the Apex Pro 19 irons and I am happy.

Your ability to play blades has a direct correlation to your ball striking ability.

Your handicap does not always have a direct correlation to your ball striking ability.

Player A who is a 14 HDCP could play blades because he is a consistent ball striker and Player B who is a 14 HDCP shouldn't touch a blade because his iron play is his weakness. It just all depends on your ball striking ability.

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Nobody that I know that plays blades gives a squat what someone's club dejour is. I repeat, there is NO handicap requirement. Just the right attitude, that is, not give a squat what others think about your choices in life. I am proud to know a 79 year old man that is an 18-20 handicap, and for the last fifty years has played blades and now plays the senior tee's. He's happy, that's all that matters.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> Nobody that I know that plays blades gives a squat what someone's club dejour is. I repeat, there is NO handicap requirement. Just the right attitude, that is, not give a squat what others think about your choices in life. I am proud to know a 79 year old man that is an 18-20 handicap, and for the last fifty years has played blades and now plays the senior tee's. He's happy, that's all that matters.

This^^^^^^

> @chippa13 said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > > @tets said:

> > > ANY handicap... try this, go over your last round. Take your score, subtract all the putts you hit, then subtract any wedges include chip shots, bunker shots etc, next take away 18 tee shots ( if there are 4 par 3’s you can choose not to subtract them if you want) .. your “ other” shots will be somewhere around 10, plus or minus a few. You may also choose to subtract hybrids and fairway woods if you want. My point is play what irons you want, you probably use them less than you think.

> >

> > Great post.

> >

> > I'm playing to about a 6 right now. The reason I don't shoot par is I'm a terrible chipper and I have a drive a round that leads to a double bogey.

> >

> > I've played MP 30s, JPX 900 F and now MP 57s. My scores haven't changed much. I'd say the least "forgiving" were the MP30s and those are the only sticks I've broken par with.

>

> Funny how people always blame terrible chipping rather than inaccurate irons.

Even tour pros miss GIR. The difference is when I miss a green, I'm probably going to drop a stroke or two because my chipping is really bad. A tour pro is trying to chip in and usually save par.

> @Pepperturbo said:

> Nobody that I know that plays blades gives a squat what someone's club dejour is. I repeat, there is NO handicap requirement. Just the right attitude, that is, not give a squat what others think about your choices in life. I am proud to know a 79 year old man that is an 18-20 handicap, and for the last fifty years has played blades and now plays the senior tee's. He's happy, that's all that matters.

Nobody I know that plays **any style of clubs** gives a squat what someone's club du jour is. This site is the only place I have ever seen anyone care who plays what.

• Like 1

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @"Kenny Lee Puckett" said:

> > > @Fairway14 said:

> > > > @"Kenny Lee Puckett" said:

> > > > Starting from a perfect 18/18 greens where does the player most consistently fall? If routinely a 6, 7, or 8 amount of GIR, that type player is high likely not to have the ball striking ideal for a blade, and GIRs could go higher with another iron choice. If the player hits an 11, 12, 13+ amount of GIR pretty regulary, than IMO they would be able hit most any iron platform they choose.

> > >

> > > Maybe **some players will strike more square shots** (and hit more greens) **with a smaller blade style iron** than they would a larger head cavity back iron ? I

> > >

> > >

> >

> > sure, if they are capable of hitting 11, 12, 13 or more GIR on average. I've never been inspired to give a player who hits 5 greens a round a set of traditional blades. never.

>

> If your assumption is that beginners and, or, high handicap players will strike better shots with relatively large cavity back irons than they would traditional size small headed blade style irons, then I disagree.

> Specifically, it would not surprise me if some beginner or high handicap players were able to square a relatively small size iron head more consistently (than a large iron head) and consequently hit more greens.

> My guess is that if you had 20 high handicap players play a dozen rounds with each type/style iron, 50% of the players would hit more greens with blades and 50% would hit more greens with large cavity back irons.

I very much doubt that 50% of the 20hc would hit more greens with blades. Most guys on here could probably get around the course fine with blades because they spend time on golf forums, buy/sell, think about the game, think about their swing, and try to improve. Most hacks I see on a weekend are abysmal at getting the ball in the air with a low CG shovel and would struggle even worse with blades. If you're not shotmaking there is not point in playing them other than vanity IMO.

Someone who hits the center mostly with iron shots. I am a 2 and won’t touch blades. I have a buddy that is a 7 that will only play blades. He drives it like a 12 handicapper, putts like a 15, but hits irons like he is a scratch golfer or better. Handicap has little to no bearing on who should play blades.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I still haven't seen any studies on how many strokes you actually lose when you play a blade versus a GI club.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @Golfjack said:

> I still haven't seen any studies on how many strokes you actually lose when you play a blade versus a GI club.

There really isn't a good reason for a company to do it, because golfers are all so different. Even same handicap golfers are very different. It is gonna be applicable to very few people, unless they have an army of golfers trying it.

I know a bunch 2 handicappers that I play a bunch with. None of them get to that 2 handicap in the same way, one is a great putter, but relatively short and not a great iron player. He gets up and down from anywhere. Another is one of the best iron players I have ever seen, but he only hits 9 to 10 greens per round, because he can't keep his tee balls out of the trees on the regular. The third drives the ball like he's on tour, putts like he's on tour but is not a good iron player. The last is a great all around ball striker but a horrible putter, but relatively does not put a ton of spin on the ball. Using any of those wouldn't help me determine how many strokes I may lose playing blades. I spin almost every club I hit too much, I drive it ok (relatively long) and I hit my irons ok(above average short iron, below average mid, and slightly above long iron), but I am an above average putter in the 10-30 foot range and probably below average inside of 10 feet and outside of 30 feet.

Handicap is your ten best scores in relation to course rating from your last 20. The guy that gets up and down from everywhere it wouldn't change his score much, if at all, because one more missed green to him really won't hurt his handicap. The second guy hits his irons great and is almost always pin high (he hits it solid but with open and closed clubface) so it really wouldn't affect him much. The third it would hurt because he is already mishitting a fair amount of iron shots and getting away with it somewhat still being close to the green, he would be further away now and less chance of getting up and down. The fourth would probably be hurt as well, because he may miss an extra green a round and would definitely have some longer putts, which as a bad putter could easily lead to him 3 jacking more often.

If someone will pay me to do this study and give me the clubs I will do it It might be applicable to maybe 10% of the population with a handicap of 7 or below, but probably even less.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

> @Golfjack said:

> I still haven't seen any studies on how many strokes you actually lose when you play a blade versus a GI club.

There's not really any good reason to do one, and studies cost money

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Golfjack said:

In recent years I've played rounds of golf with Mizuno MP 4's (blade) and Ping G700 (over size cavity back). Scoring average the same with either set.

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @Golfjack said:

> > I still haven't seen any studies on how many strokes you actually lose when you play a blade versus a GI club.

>

> There's not really any good reason to do one, and studies cost money

I suppose if a company wanted to sell traditional head size irons they could do a study and prove much of the claims about over size irons are false.

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > > @Golfjack said:

> > > I still haven't seen any studies on how many strokes you actually lose when you play a blade versus a GI club.

> >

> > There's not really any good reason to do one, and studies cost money

>

> I suppose if a company wanted to sell traditional head size irons they could do a study and prove much of the claims about over size irons are false.

That company I suppose though would have to only sell traditional style heads, or they would also be cutting the legs off their GI offerings.

And if they didn't sell GI , I suppose they'd just get accused of manipulating the tests to favor their own offering. Like cigarette companies funding studies that say cigarettes are healthy lol

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Fairway14 said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > > @Golfjack said:

> > > I still haven't seen any studies on how many strokes you actually lose when you play a blade versus a GI club.

> >

> > There's not really any good reason to do one, and studies cost money

>

> I suppose if a company wanted to sell traditional head size irons they could do a study and prove much of the claims about over size irons are false.

Traditional as in post 1997 or any of the sizes pre 1997?