2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

A Really Bad Round But a Positive Experience

mschantz

I traveled this weekend from my home in central Illinois to eastern Maryland to play a round at Bulle Rock. This was the first time I traveled to play, having been away from the game for almost 25 years until this June. It is my intention to begin playing tournaments next year, so this was an opportunity to play on an unknown course and in front of strange people. I have had trouble playing in front of people all summer because of nerves.

My first tee shot was a total choke. I topped a 3H shot left and in front of the tee maybe 40-50 yards. Let me say now that the rough on this course is tall and thick, and I would spend almost the entire round whacking (not hitting) out of it. I hit a solid second shot and felt better. Recently for a month I worked with a great swing coach associated with the Golf Channel. I now have a really good swing and my iron and hybrid shots are generally good, but I haven't got the downswing slot locked in yet for driver and the 3W from a tee. With those two clubs I was left but for two solid drives. The fairways on this course are seriously sloped, hilly and often narrow. It was a real challenge. Distances were deceptive. The starter told us that Jim Furyk had played the course two weeks prior and commented after finishing, "This course tore me up."

The good I take away from is this: once I was off the first tee, I was in such a zone that it felt I was playing alone. I made some small talk and gave compliments, but overall I was quiet. Big step forward here. I also made many good golf shots that were poorly aligned because I had no idea what I was shooting at. This reinforced confidence in my new swing. I never lost my composure and I never quit. Each time I stepped to the ball I was focused only on making a good shot. Two more steps forward.

No new problems emerged. It was the same old story: drive into the rough and I'm in trouble. When I hit fairways I make pars and an occasional birdie. I did stick an approach shot five feet from the pin, which was my best approach shot this year from beyond 150; and I pitched one in on an uphill lie behind the green--for bogey.

By my way of looking at the round more good came from it than bad.

sounds like a great experience so long as you are consciously learning from them. Fix the Driver/3 wood and i assume this is why you topped the Hybrid also..and you are more than ready. I am in Maryland and played Bulle Rock once. It's an awesome track. Glad it tested you

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @Man_O_War said:

> sounds like a great experience so long as you are consciously learning from them. Fix the Driver/3 wood and i assume this is why you topped the Hybrid also..and you are more than ready. I am in Maryland and played Bulle Rock once. It's an awesome track. Glad it tested you

Thanks for the comment. I am going to go back to play Bulle Rock again next year. That tee shot on #1 with the 3H was just nerves. It gave me no issues the rest of the round. The driver/3W--I was pulling because my takeaway wasn't correct. I was keeping the club too closed (over compensating from keeping it too open with my old swing). Once I got back home and had time to work on it using my Garmin TruSwing, I saw it immediately. I knew the face was too closed on the course. But I didn't know why. I was sure the problem was in the takeaway/backswing but not where.

Thankfully, it was an easy fix. I have to keep that swing thought, though.

My big takeaway from golf this season is how amazing you can perform w/ a clear head. I'm a confessed hack and started the year scoring in the mid to high 90's. Playing a lot of solo golf in the early morning and late afternoons, I'm regularly in the high 80's now and accomplished an all-time low of +2 for 9 holes this past week (normally shoot around +4/5). Hope you figure out the nerves because I'm in the same boat. As soon as I get around my buds the anxiety gets bad because I want to perform as well as I know I'm capable of.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

> @rondre3000 said:

> My big takeaway from golf this season is how amazing you can perform w/ a clear head. I'm a confessed hack and started the year scoring in the mid to high 90's. Playing a lot of solo golf in the early morning and late afternoons, I'm regularly in the high 80's now and accomplished an all-time low of +2 for 9 holes this past week (normally shoot around +4/5). Hope you figure out the nerves because I'm in the same boat. As soon as I get around my buds the anxiety gets bad because I want to perform as well as I know I'm capable of.

I feel you. Most of my course work this summer was nine holes early in the morning. I was scared to play with anyone at the club. I joined in mid-August but wasn't playing well until recently (last weekend excluded). My best rounds alone were a 78 and a +1 37 for nine holes like you. At all times this summer whenever I played with anyone my scores were awful and it was embarrassing. I have putted very well but everything else was helter skelter--until I was taught a proper swing. Now it's all coming together nicely.

I know I have to push through that debilitating fear or forever look like that guy that practices way more than anyone else but can't play. I don't know if you read my introduction post but my goals are clearly stated. I approached last weekend with some anxiety but with the commitment to be professional at all times.

Last weekend I played poorly but my conduct and approach were solid. I never threw a club. I never cursed. I played every ball as it laid for probably the first time. I went through the same pre-shot routine and concentrated on each shot. I wasn't aware of my score. I knew I was playing badly, but I approached each shot as an opportunity to make a solid golf shot. As long as I made good contact and the ball stayed in front of me, I was happy. In short, I never stopped playing when in the past I would have given up somewhere early on the back nine. This was all the good that came from that round.

And finally more to the point, I was so focused on what I was doing that I was barely aware of anyone else. I was in a zone. I watched everyone's shots and complimented, so I wasn't completely detached. You have to find your own way to wall yourself off so you can keep your nerves in check. Playing alone, good drives would give me confidence for later drives. But this did not transfer for me when playing in front of others. I know for me that I have to perform well with people watching me to build up the confidence so it's a normal thing.

My conduct and approach last weekend were undoubtedly influenced by the Ben Hogan biography I'm presently reading. It was common knowledge that Hogan said very little during play. But he was regarded as a perfect gentleman during play. Oddly, Hogan also had problems with nerves his first few years playing professionally and also had a horrible hook from the tee.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.