Shaft Lean In Setup

aramirez24

There are advocates for the shaft being 90* to the ground at set up. There was a lot more emphasis on forming a straight line with the left arm and shaft in past teaching.

From the golfer's perspective 90* appears to be when the butt end points to the belly button/groin. But this is really an optical illusion. True 90* would have the butt end more on the inner left thigh -- which to the golfer looks like forward shaft lean or a hand press. Ball position changes hand position and lean perspective.

Modern teaching emphasizes arms hanging "naturally" from shoulders.

clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

Here is a wedge with 90* shaft and set flush to the ground.

pb9t2gjahm26.pngvgy5dhyqreko.png

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

> @glk said:

> clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

> just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

> Here is a wedge with 90* shaft and set flush to the ground.

> pb9t2gjahm26.pngvgy5dhyqreko.png

>

>

This makes a ton of sense. I think that I have been setting up with my irons leaning on the trail edge. Thank you.

> @glk said:

> clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

> just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

> Here is a wedge with 90* shaft and set flush to the ground.

> pb9t2gjahm26.pngvgy5dhyqreko.png

>

>

That’s not built in shaft lean, that’s bounce.

• Like 2

> @03SMURF said:

> > @glk said:

> > clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

> > just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

> > Here is a wedge with 90* shaft and set flush to the ground.

> > pb9t2gjahm26.pngvgy5dhyqreko.png

> >

> >

>

> That’s not built in shaft lean, that’s bounce.

Shaft lean when club is solved properly. > @03SMURF said:

> > @glk said:

> > clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

> > just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

> > Here is a wedge with 90* shaft and set flush to the ground.

> > pb9t2gjahm26.pngvgy5dhyqreko.png

> >

> >

>

> That’s not built in shaft lean, that’s bounce.

When irons are layed flat they have lean. Not talking about the bounce. And woods lean away from target.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

> @glk said:

> > @03SMURF said:

> > > @glk said:

> > > clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

> > > just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

> > > Here is a wedge with 90* shaft and set flush to the ground.

> > > pb9t2gjahm26.pngvgy5dhyqreko.png

> > >

> > >

> >

> > That’s not built in shaft lean, that’s bounce.

>

> Shaft lean when club is solved properly. > @03SMURF said:

> > > @glk said:

> > > clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

> > > just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> When irons are layed flat they have lean. Not talking about the bounce. And woods lean away from target.

I tend to pick up the club in front of me, grip it and place the club head behind the ball. Should one place the club behind the ball (as noted above) and then take the grip?

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @glk said:

> > > @03SMURF said:

> > > > @glk said:

> > > > clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

> > > > just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

> > > > Here is a wedge with 90* shaft and set flush to the ground.

> > > > pb9t2gjahm26.pngvgy5dhyqreko.png

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > That’s not built in shaft lean, that’s bounce.

> >

> > Shaft lean when club is solved properly. > @03SMURF said:

> > > > @glk said:

> > > > clubs have shaft lean built into them - more in higher lofted club and decreasing as loft decreases. they provide all the lean needed at setup - and btw, 3w/driver actually will lean a little back.

> > > > just practice setting up in front of a mirror - good thing to check frequently, setup that is. If you setup with the shaft 90* then the leading edge of the iron will be off the ground - again more loft more off the ground.

> > > > Here is a wedge with 90* shaft and set flush to the ground.

> > > > pb9t2gjahm26.pngvgy5dhyqreko.png

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > That’s not built in shaft lean, that’s bounce.

> >

> > When irons are layed flat they have lean. Not talking about the bounce. And woods lean away from target.

>

> I tend to pick up the club in front of me, grip it and place the club head behind the ball. Should one place the club behind the ball (as noted above with built in shaft lean) and then take the grip?

Everyone is different. Do what works for you. Personally, The shaft is in line with my left arm (righty) at address and ball placement in my stance governs the amount of shaft lean at address (not necessarily equal to lean at impact, BTW). I understand what GLK is saying, I just don't think it applies to everyone.

As for how you should take your grip, some place the club on the ground and let it sole naturally when taking their grip. Others hold the club in front of them and take their grip. I like to establish my intended launch line by choosing a point on the ground in front of the ball and then step up and use my right hand to align the face properly to that line. I then place my left hand on the club in the proper position to get the ball flight I want. Finally, I place my right hand on the club to finish the process. Was taught this process by a very accomplished golfer and it has served me well for many years.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I personally like to see a little shaft lean at address. I think it helps with setting proper wrist angles into the backswing if we can start in a position with a slightly flatter lead wrist.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

> @glk said:

> > @03SMURF said:

> > > @glk said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> Shaft lean when club is solved properly. > @03SMURF said:

> > > @glk said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> When irons are layed flat they have lean. Not talking about the bounce. And woods lean away from target.

agreed. It's how manufacturers have designed irons since time began. They used to call it the "lead". By not having the lead ahead of the clubhead you are losing a ton of yardage. Buying altitude as Mike Austin would say

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @oikos1 said:

>

he keeps saying 90 degree...to what? It looks like a straight line from top of arms to clubhead face on.

o..k to the ground lol

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @Ri_Redneck said:

> I like to establish my intended launch line by choosing a point on the ground in front of the ball and then step up and use my right hand to align the face properly to that line. I then place my left hand on the club in the proper position to get the ball flight I want. Finally, I place my right hand on the club to finish the process. Was taught this process by a very accomplished golfer and it has served me well for many years.

>

> BT

I use the spot on the ground concept and then align the clubface to that spot with my LEFT hand (as a righty), then set my feet, then place my right hand on the club last. However, I know I am in the minority on this. The majority of high level golfers, including tour players, line the club up with their trail hand and then put their lead hand on last, as you do.

What is the reason behind this and what am I missing out on by doing the opposite?

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

> @DLev45 said:

> > @Ri_Redneck said:

> > I like to establish my intended launch line by choosing a point on the ground in front of the ball and then step up and use my right hand to align the face properly to that line. I then place my left hand on the club in the proper position to get the ball flight I want. Finally, I place my right hand on the club to finish the process. Was taught this process by a very accomplished golfer and it has served me well for many years.

> >

> > BT

>

> I use the spot on the ground concept and then align the clubface to that spot with my LEFT hand (as a righty), then set my feet, then place my right hand on the club last. However, I know I am in the minority on this. The majority of high level golfers, including tour players, line the club up with their trail hand and then put their lead hand on last, as you do.

>

> What is the reason behind this and what am I missing out on by doing the opposite?

I use my right hand to position the clubface so that I can place my left hand precisely while keeping it aligned with my right hand. Holding the club in my left hand and aligning takes more time because I have to roll it this way and that and then, when I actually take my grip, if alignment isn't exactly where I want it, I have to adjust even more. Yeah, it's just a few seconds longer doing it your way, but when you hit as many balls as I do, it adds up. It also allows me to setup with the proper spine angle when taking my grip. Something else than can cause need for adjustment once you're preparing to hit the shot.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize