2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

GolfWRX

> @capking said:

> > @eastriver said:

> > I have 2 T20s in blue and yes, they are great looking.

>

> What did you go with? I got the 3i so I’m going to try with 2 wedges as well. I went 51* & 56*

I bought a 50 (low bounce), 54 (higher bounce), and 58 (low bounce). I've only been carry the 50 and 58 recently, though. wishing the 50 was a 52, actually. or that I had both. I'd like the option to switch between carry just 52-58, and 50-54-58. I have a feeling carrying less clubs with wider gapping might suit me better. I'll figure it out. Someday. Maybe.

• Like 1

> @eastriver said:

> > @capking said:

> > > @eastriver said:

> > > I have 2 T20s in blue and yes, they are great looking.

> >

> > What did you go with? I got the 3i so I’m going to try with 2 wedges as well. I went 51* & 56*

>

> I bought a 50 (low bounce), 54 (higher bounce), and 58 (low bounce). I've only been carry the 50 and 58 recently, though. wishing the 50 was a 52, actually. or that I had both. I'd like the option to switch between carry just 52-58, and 50-54-58. I have a feeling carrying less clubs with wider gapping might suit me better. I'll figure it out. Someday. Maybe.

Haha no doubt I just came from 52 56 60, but found I almost never used the 60. But the gap between my PW and the 52 was an issue, hoping a bent 1 strong 52 helps solving that problem.

> @Houska said:

> > @Huntingchris0000 said:

> > For the people that ordered a full set of HMBs have you experienced distance increases from your previous irons (what were previous irons)? Also how are the short irons distance wise? I have only been able to test 7 iron

>

> I moved to the HMBs from the i500s...my thoughts

>

> - HMBs are not as long by 5-8 yds

> - HMB distance control is much better than i500

> - Long iron confidence is great with the HMBs vs i500s but I loved the i500 look 7-PW (sleek)

> - The finish on the HMBs looks (my opinion) and holds up significantly better

> - Feel...not even close...HMBs

I'm playing i500s and considering switching to these... what are your thoughts in terms of a forgivability comparison?

> @seanm135 said:

> > @Houska said:

> > > @Huntingchris0000 said:

> > > For the people that ordered a full set of HMBs have you experienced distance increases from your previous irons (what were previous irons)? Also how are the short irons distance wise? I have only been able to test 7 iron

> >

> > I moved to the HMBs from the i500s...my thoughts

> >

> > - HMBs are not as long by 5-8 yds

> > - HMB distance control is much better than i500

> > - Long iron confidence is great with the HMBs vs i500s but I loved the i500 look 7-PW (sleek)

> > - The finish on the HMBs looks (my opinion) and holds up significantly better

> > - Feel...not even close...HMBs

>

> I'm playing i500s and considering switching to these... what are your thoughts in terms of a forgivability comparison?

I find them to be very close in forgiveness. I would describe the difference here in head size or at least appearance. The i500 looks compact and forces you to concentrate on ball striking. I believe the HMB is slightly larger with a thicker top line. Perhaps the “sweet spot” size is the same area but head size is different.

> @fullbodyfix said:

> > @herbert7890 said:

> > 7t0ktjqzqby0.jpg

> >

> >

> > SELs came in today (3-4 iron are HMB, 5-PW MB) cant wait to try them!

>

> wow! nice - interested to hear your take on the blended set

Update: went to the range today and these were an absolute pleasure to hit and feel. Know I can really see the Mizuno slogan is real, as they felt like pure butter when flushed. Surprisingly, even the 5 iron blade was VERY easy to hit, with my stock draw and went super high as well. I

kinda wish the 3 and 4 were MBs as well but cant complain at all : ), I just had some slight overdraws with the HMBs Long irons, but I could get used to it with some time.

The MP-20s have fantastic Turf Interaction.. They really cut through the turf with such ease, it actually helped me in regards to a wrist injury problem I have. When I go to the range and hits tons of balls, I usually get my problematic wrist into sharp pain, but with these, NOTHING! I can only attribute that to the way they glide and cut the grass, vs my previous irons with bigger soles (T200s).

Today was a dream for me, so glad I joined the mizuno family and will gladly stay here for ever!

> @jrshelby said:

> So I'm LH and had a set of SEL. Everything felt great but the HMB felt completely dead. Anyone else have that experience?

Nope. Complete opposite experience for me. I’m gaming The 2,4&5 iron in HMB 2 is 18*, 4 is standard 22*, and the 5 is 26*. All 3 are rocket launchers for me. What shaft are you playing in them?

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

> @jetmech879 said:

> > @jrshelby said:

> > So I'm LH and had a set of SEL. Everything felt great but the HMB felt completely dead. Anyone else have that experience?

>

> Nope. Complete opposite experience for me. I’m gaming The 2,4&5 iron in HMB 2 is 18*, 4 is standard 22*, and the 5 is 26*. All 3 are rocket launchers for me. What shaft are you playing in them?

>

Up grade to Modus 125 X. Came from 716 MB with same shafts. The SEL MB's felt great, it was just the HMB I had the problem with. Felt lifeless for lack of a better word,

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr2+ 2W 13° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

BETTINARDI BB1 WIDE

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg

> @jrshelby said:

> > @jetmech879 said:

> > > @jrshelby said:

> > > So I'm LH and had a set of SEL. Everything felt great but the HMB felt completely dead. Anyone else have that experience?

> >

> > Nope. Complete opposite experience for me. I’m gaming The 2,4&5 iron in HMB 2 is 18*, 4 is standard 22*, and the 5 is 26*. All 3 are rocket launchers for me. What shaft are you playing in them?

> >

> Up grade to Modus 125 X. Came from 716 MB with same shafts. The SEL MB's felt great, it was just the HMB I had the problem with. Felt lifeless for lack of a better word,

>

That’s funny! Exactly the same shaft I’m using! But in the 2 iron I went with a modus 105x. It’s my first experience with the modus 125. I have been a project x 6.5 guy for years but wanted to try something that might be easier on my old joints. So far so good. But joint pain is not gone.

so between the 5 HMB & 6 MB, @jetmech879, do you get the same 'crack' when you compress a shot properly? I would never say 'dead,' but the HMBs are not as responsive (or harsh) as the MP-32s I was playing before.

When I catch once nice with the 4i it is awesome the way the ball launches high and fast. It's become my favorite club.

Quick note - happy to report that going to the HMB's have paid dividends for my game (coming from the MP-18 blades). My shot data (using Garmin tech) pre-HMB showed that my thin shots were consistently leaving me a half club short on approach shots. Saturday at my home course I hit a thin 5-iron to a back pin location on a green with front bunkers. The old 18's would have landed me in the bunker - the HMB came in hot, cleared the bunkers and the ball came to rest on the lower front portion of the green. The HMB's are definitely helping my game.

Question for those getting their MB's and HMB's and have also decided to go with the T-20 Wedges. I'm looking to get feedback on how they're fitting in with your sets and how they're playing. I went with a 50 degree to start to fill the gap wedge slot but am thinking of replacing my 54 and 58 Callaway PM Grinds as well. My issue with the PM G's is that they're not very forgiving either in full shots off the fairway or touch shots around the greens. Even with the varying bounces I have 8 & 10 I find I have to hit perfect shots to not dig ditches in soft ground situations or in think stuff around the greens. I find myself using my Apex AW now that has the much more rounded leading edge to avoid the chunks. Many times I hit the PM G's well but man there's payback if I don't catch it just right.

3-7 HMB and 8-P MB ordered. Very uncertain about the combo and where to split. I guess I’ll have to experience it... Can not wait!!!

Edit: Forgot to mention. Getting the T20s 51, 56 and 61 as well. All raw with stamping... I can’t spend another dime on gear now, my wife will think I am having an affair.

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

> @eastriver said:

> so between the 5 HMB & 6 MB, @jetmech879, do you get the same 'crack' when you compress a shot properly? I would never say 'dead,' but the HMBs are not as responsive (or harsh) as the MP-32s I was playing before.

>

> When I catch once nice with the 4i it is awesome the way the ball launches high and fast. It's become my favorite club.

There is definitely a slightly higher pitch crack with the HMBs and the ball speed definitely seems higher with the HMB. The feel is still amazing though much like the blades.

I played this morning and am falling head over heals for this combo set! I really didn’t hit a bad iron shot all day. I hit 4 shots today that really stuck out. 8 iron from 155 to 3” on the 3rd hole, 4 iron from 200 to 8’ on 8th hole, 5 iron to 12” on 13th hole, and 7 iron from 165 to 6” on the 14th hole. I have never hit that many shots so close in one round!

I am on the fence about keeping the HMB 6 iron or not. The blend looks better between the 5 HMB to the 6 blade but I think I’d probably be better off with the HMB in that spot.

> @eastriver said:

> @jetmech879 great golfstory. i'm vicariously living since I won't be making it out today.

Haha thanks! It was 35deg out when I teed off! Not your typical NC fall morning!

Upon playing yesterday with my new SELs, I have to agree the HMB do feel amazing and not much difference vs the 5-pw MBs. One shot that stood out with the HMB was in a long 230 yard par 3, I pulled the HMB 3 iron out and put it like 7 feet from the hole (with around 5 feet of roll), felt EXACTLY like an MB at impact and sounded amazing as well. I'm in awe with my SELs and this Mizuno buttery feeling.

• Like 1

> @herbert7890 said:

> Upon playing yesterday with my new SELs, I have to agree the HMB do feel amazing and not much difference vs the 5-pw MBs. One shot that stood out with the HMB was in a long 230 yard par 3, I pulled the HMB 3 iron out and put it like 7 feet from the hole (with around 5 feet of roll), felt EXACTLY like an MB at impact and sounded amazing as well. I'm in awe with my SELs and this Mizuno buttery feeling.

I’m going to go ahead and say the HMB/MB is probably the best combo set I’ve ever played! They blend very well!

> @jetmech879 said:

> > @herbert7890 said:

> > Upon playing yesterday with my new SELs, I have to agree the HMB do feel amazing and not much difference vs the 5-pw MBs. One shot that stood out with the HMB was in a long 230 yard par 3, I pulled the HMB 3 iron out and put it like 7 feet from the hole (with around 5 feet of roll), felt EXACTLY like an MB at impact and sounded amazing as well. I'm in awe with my SELs and this Mizuno buttery feeling.

>

> I’m going to g ahead and say the HMB/MB is probably the best combo set I’ve ever played! They blend very well!

>

>

I cant argue with that!!! I feel the same way!!! Even my old old Nike Forged pro combos cant beat the Mizuno- MP-20 combo. (I played the pro combos for 13 years)

• Like 1