Bag Tryouts

Just picked up three new bags during Dick’s flash sale the other day. Gonna have some bag tryouts to see which one stays in play for 2020.

The lineup is:

- TaylorMade Flextech Crossover

- TaylorMade Flextech

- Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14 way

Current bag is an 8-year old TaylorMade 6-way stand bag, and I can’t believe how hard it is to find a good 6-way bag these days. I like the 6-way because I can group the clubs like this: (1)-D, 3w, 3h; (2)-4,5,6; (3)-7,8,9; (4)-PW,GW; (5)-56,60; (6)-P.

4-way...too many clubs banging around and no logical way to group them. 5-way...don’t like that I’d have to have 4 clubs in a hole if I want the putter alone, but I’m gonna try it out with the Flextech. I guess I’ll try having the 4 wedges living together. Not yet 100% on the 14-way, but I do like the sticks organized just so.

Time to pull out the old bag and move everything from bag to bag to see which one lets me organize things (including all the miscellaneous accessories) the way I like. Will be a fun weekend.

There can be only one!

lbvyb48fgqp2.jpeg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @chrisgoch said:

> Look at the new MIzuno bags, they have a six way top on one of the br4 bags. I have one and really enjoy the bag.

Looked at the Mizzy Pro 6 way but hadn’t seen the BR line...I’ll check it out. Not that I overly care, but it would go well with my 919 Tours. Do you know how the BR differs from the Pro model?

@brew4eagle your putter must be super special to warrant 25% of the available real estate.

And how the heck do people split 13 clubs across 3 holes? Only way I’ve imagined it is D,3W,3H - 4,5,6,7,8 - 9+4 wedges. Just too many grouped together for my personal taste. My mild OCD likes more separation and organization. Hence the two 14-ways getting a try.

I only carry 12 clubs, so that helps. Driver, 2h, 3h, 5i in top. 6,7,8 in one middle slot, putter in the other middle slot. 9, P, 52, 58 in bottom slot.

Here's some pics of set up, and yes the putter is pretty special but also it's the one club that comes out every hole so I like to be able to easily access it...

si86cjmradd0.jpg

3hlw5cqyavhe.jpg

qq8kay1xe3ut.jpg

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

@chrisgoch I finally got around to checking out the new BR4 6-way online at https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bags/stand-bags/mizuno-golf-br-d4-6-way-stand-bag/

I really like a lot of what I'm seeing:

- 6-way top

- compact base/stand mechanism (looks like it'll fit well in a riding cart bag well)

- decent pocket storage, including a magnetic pocket plus another above the ball pocket (not quite as much storage as the crossover/hybrid bags but maybe enough)

- oversized zipper pulls

- nice color combos (really like the navy/steel blue)

On the (possible) downside:

- not sure I like those clips holding the straps on...I've read that similar clips on Titleist bags tend to pop loose

- don't love the $220 price - though it's not as high as some other comparable bags, it's $50 more than I paid for each of the three I'm trying out

I just found a local place that has some in stock and will swing by the check it out in person. This could just be an upstart contender that has a chance to win the starting job.

@chrisgoch I finally got an up close look at the Mizzy BR-D4 6 way today. Man, that’s a nice bag. I love the entire pocket layout except for that right side mesh pocket. The zipper opening with the flap is hard to access, and I’m not sure how functional it is. What do you put in there, and how hard is it to get into?

I liked everything else, including three of the four available color schemes (the black/gray is a bit boring to me).

I just ordered one and will see how I like it once I’ve loaded it up with everything...seems that finding a place for everything and seeing how it is to access everything helps get a better feel for life with a bag. This one may be a winner! I really appreciate the recommendation.

Also saw the Pro 6 there but it’s a bit more bulky and I’m not as fond of the apparel pocket that doesn’t run the full bag length.

The FT are nice bags... I prefer a 4 way, too though... D, 3w, P up top, then 3h 4,5i... to the right 6,7,8i, then 9, PW, 50, 56 on the bottom. Granted I am using a Jones Utility so its a complete mess but I do like the 4 way most. Not a fan of that grab handle on the SM at all.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

Although I prefer the pockets on the Flextech Crossover, I just can’t live with the limitations of a 14 way top. I’m a big fan of club organization and having a home for every one, but I like having room for things like extra demo clubs, my ball tube, or the club glove stiff arm when traveling. I think 14 smaller holes is just too restrictive for me.

So...The Flextech is the leader in the clubhouse right now, pending the Mizzy posting a score when it gets here. Whichever bag wins, it’ll get put through the paces over the course of 9 rounds in 10 days during an upcoming trip to CA and FL (escaping the Chicago cold).

I’ve never been this excited about getting a new bag!

Ok - since I have a few guys here who are willing to indulge my bag choice dilemma - thanks for playing, BTW - I have one more ask. I’m second-guessing my Mizzy bag color choice because I just like all three of these. I have until EOD to cancel and re-order a different color.

Anyone have a thought on the logic of choosing a bag color?

1. Staff blue/white: classic color scheme; stands out from most other bags, so I can spot my cart from a distance (or if someone “accidentally” grabs it from the bag drop); easy to tell the bag porters which bag is mine “it’s the blue Mizuno”.

2. Navy/steel blue: more subdued but still has a little distinction with the orange accents; less likely to show dirt over time; this is the one I first ordered.

3. Navy/red/white: this one also stands out without being quite as bright as the Staff; seems the least “Mizuno-ish” though; red white blue seems to be a common color scheme; probably my least favorite of the three

I realize some may say I’m overthinking this, but I keep bags for a long time.

w6gelpayu07d.png

I went through a bag carousel for the last 6 months and found the unicorn for me. OGIO Convoy 514 RTC. Plenty if storage, FULL 14 length dividers, durable material and zero club tangle. Great bag if you ride mostly or use a push cart. Can’t give enough praise for this bag 3ukbcusq14ja.jpeg

de8vx8ayvcjm.jpeg

3z2naopcatsw.jpeg

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

@DeeBee30 When you were checking out the MIzzy BR-D4 6 way stand bag in person (or if you have it now), did you notice if there's a cart strap pass through? The website says it has one, but in pictures it doesn't look like it. The pen slot is where I'd think the strap pass through would be. I bought a Mizuno 6-way pro stand bag last year, no strap pass through, and it was dirty/black from the strap rub after two rounds. Couldn't handle it and thus returned it.

Thanks for your help! Great looking bag - I vote for the Navy/steel followed by classic blue and white for about the same reasons you mentioned. Thanks again. Hit em' well on your trip!

DSG had an excellent sale on bags about a month ago and I was so torn between the Crossover and the standard Flextech. I had used the Lite for about a year and half before picking up a push cart and using a cheap cart bag, but then I decided I wanted a bag larger than the Lite but not a full scale cart bag. I ended up going with the Crossover and WOW, I absolutely love this bag. I am not terribly picky regarding 4 vs. 5 vs. 14 way tops, however club tangle became an issue with the lite after some of the interior dividers frayed towards the end. Although the crossover only has 4 full length dividers for the 14 way, they work tremendous. I'd even picked up a Glide 2.0 58* for my dad and was comparing it to my RTX3. Even with 15 in the bag I experienced very little club tangle. It is a slightly larger bag, however I've carried 54 holes with it thus far with no issues. Flextech shoulder pads have always been great and honestly, as much as I liked the 2017 shoulder pad connectors, the 2019 model works excellent.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

@jimmykj - That's a big negatory on the cart strap pass-through, which was a big surprise considering practically everyone one of the big brands have incorporated that. I guess they'll need a reason to get people to buy the 2021 bag. Since I did get the navy/steel color scheme after all, it would hide any dirt from the cart straps pretty well.

That's still a strike against this bag, along with the very poorly-designed right side mesh pocket that only a child could fully access. They should have just made a pocket with a nylon side and left the zipper exposed. It's the perfect size for extra gloves, especially if you put a few in the plastic package they usually come in. I've actually been looking at the construction of the flap over it to see how it might look if I trimmed the nylon flap and re-sewed it so the zipper basically shows. It would sacrifice a little of the original aesthetic but make a somewhat usable pocket out of it.

I'm also not a huge fan of the left side insulated beverage pocket that Mizzy (and most of the world) has started using, but I'd probably use it when carrying to/from the car/clubhouse/range/etc. The rest of the Mizzy pockets are really well laid out, with some pockets-within-pockets on either side. Finally, the magnetic "rangefinder" pocket is nice, but I use a magnetic rangefinder strap to stick it to the cart upright when riding, and I put it in the covered storage area of my BagBoy push cart when walking. Alone, none of these are deal-breakers...but they add up as small nuisances.

For comparison, the TM Flextech actually has a larger (two container) zippered insulated pocket that's between the ball pocket and the zippered rangefinder pocket. Way more useful for the way I'd use the bag, though it makes the bag a little bit bigger/deeper in that area...not enough to matter, though. The TM also has two full-length pockets on the right side to separate bigger items (like rain gear in one and a lighter 1/4 or vest in the other).

I'm really torn between these two. I'm putting all my stuff in both tonight so I can get a feel for having to access things and will choose one to pilot during these upcoming trips. I guess I'll have to switch and lug the other one to the simulator and TopGolf a few times to try to get a feel for using it (though not the same). It'll probably come down to three things:

1. Can I get used to organizing my clubs in a 5-way divider vs a 6-way?

2. If I still prefer a 6-way, is it worth $50 more to get that in the Mizzy, considering I got the (2019) TM during a Dick's flash sale?

3. How much do I care about which brand I rep: Mizzy (my irons) vs TM (my woods)? Kind of joking here...there's no loser in that choice

Talk about a first-world problem...but such is the mind of this golfer when there's snow outside and I can't actually play.

@DeeBee30 Thanks man!! That's very disappointing about the cart strap, since they include it on the description online (see pic).

I'm in a 5-way now, despite preferring 6. It's not so bad. It's a Callaway Hyper-Lite 4. More important to me is that the overall top is decently large.

For me, I think the Mizuno has extra pockets I'd actually use, and I like the magnetic rangefinder pocket a lot.

s6tyeyu035f5.jpg

@JimmyKJ here you go - the BR-D4 loaded up (just clubs...gonna sort out pockets shortly).

I will say that I recently converted my bag layout for riding or pushing: woods-irons-wedges-putter going from legs to handle so the wedges and putter are at the handle and easier to reach when the bag is in a cart. bUT these newer bags are cut on an angle at the top so the wells are much shorter going from handle to legs. So, I went back to a traditional layout to try out this bag.

I’m trying the Flextech and FT Crossover 14 tonight too.

3taikez0bbla.jpeg

bg52459u2bfh.jpeg

267t645ix4jp.jpeg

9o6me7qo33g6.jpeg

@JimmyKJ - coming around to figuring out I can use the crappy right side mesh pocket for extra gloves if I keep them in one of the original glove packages. It holds two of the plastic glove packages with a total of 6 gloves (3 regular gloves, and then a rain glove and a pair of winter gloves), and I wouldn’t have to go in there often...maybe 1-2 times per season. Realistically, I could take out the winter gloves, but I like having everything in the bag so I don’t forget to put them in when the weather turns.

36da78kw027e.jpeg

zvoonrrdwxcc.jpeg

1rh0f8zontgo.jpeg

8bq04obtcpha.jpeg

One more fairly minor ding on the Mizzy bag. I don’t really like that the bottom handle is actually built into the bottom of the ball pocket. So, when you lift the bag with the top and bottom handles, your pulling on the bottom of that ball pocket.

I’d much rather have a true handle that’s attached to the base (which both of the TMs have). It’s not like that lower handle never gets used...it’s grabbed every time the bag goes in and out of the car.

But man I love the way it looks.

78o7se50nanz.jpeg

iwddr5we1d0y.jpg

The more functional layout for me, but I’ve got to get used to the look...those woods stock waaaay out on that side.

I just does work so much better though. Can see and easily reach every club and not have to move the long ones to get to the short ones, even at the range or when occasionally carrying.

I know it’s not “traditional”, but function over form I think.

20908r9fsafi.jpeg