2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Seeking Junior friendly membership/course for competitive junior golfers

Tugu

***I have also posted this to the membership and courses section. Apologies to forum if posting it here also is not ok.***

In a nutshell, I have two boys aged 15 and 12 who are competitive golfers based in Asia due to my work situation. We are in the process of relocating back to the USA in the very near future as I now have the luxury of working remotely.

The goal is to find a junior friendly course where they can play and practice year round. Cali, Texas, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida and any others I havent thought of will all be welcome.

Sounds easy enough, but most places I have looked at have some direct or indirect restrictions on juniors (irrespective of playing ability). For instance:-

Must have adult supervision.

Must have buggy. But they are too young to drive a buggy. Hence need a paying adult to supervise.

Cant tee off til after 2-3 pm. Cant play weekends etc.

And on and on the list goes.

A great school nearby would be even better. But this is another conversation altogether.

If people prefer to PM me, thats fine too.

Thanks to all in advance.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the restrictions you talk about are because the golf courses are busy this is especially true for the cart requirement. If they didn't have carts required people would walk to save the cart fee and you end up with 5 or 6 hour rounds. No one wants to be a member of a course that just lets random unsupervised kids play on it so they put rules on it. If your kids can play better than an average golfer most courses will relax some rules for you after they know you.

Despite what you been told unless your at an expensive private facility with limited membership playing at a public golf courses will very busy this especially true if your trying play during peak times (aka weekends, After work, 9-11am most days).

You can find what your looking for anywhere just be prepared to pay for it and jump through hoops to find it or move out to a small town somewhere.

> @Tugu said:

> ***I have also posted this to the membership and courses section. Apologies to forum if posting it here also is not ok.***

>

> In a nutshell, I have two boys aged 15 and 12 who are competitive golfers based in Asia due to my work situation. We are in the process of relocating back to the USA in the very near future as I now have the luxury of working remotely.

>

> The goal is to find a junior friendly course where they can play and practice year round. Cali, Texas, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida and any others I havent thought of will all be welcome.

>

> Sounds easy enough, but most places I have looked at have some direct or indirect restrictions on juniors (irrespective of playing ability). For instance:-

>

> Must have adult supervision.

>

> Must have buggy. But they are too young to drive a buggy. Hence need a paying adult to supervise.

>

> Cant tee off til after 2-3 pm. Cant play weekends etc.

>

> And on and on the list goes.

>

> A great school nearby would be even better. But this is another conversation altogether.

>

> If people prefer to PM me, thats fine too.

>

> Thanks to all in advance.

>

Are you yourself joining the club or is it just your children?

> @Tugu said:

> Noles - I do not have plans to join any club/course.

>

> To others, apologies if I come across as griping about the restrictions, I have no such intention. I grew up in Australia and the UK where walking is the golfing culture and juniors are highly encouraged. Just hoping to find a similar set up.

I didn't think it as griping about restrictions. I think we all had to deal with this issue at one time or another. There are a lot golf courses in the US so finding a course is not an issue. What is a huge issue is finding a nice maintained course that is affordable and not over run with people. Nice public courses that are open to the public are extra busy everywhere.

If you are looking for a unrestricted public course that has any chance of not being extra busy your best bet would be a smaller town about hour away from a major city with under 30k people. A small Texas , Georgia and perhaps northern Florida town with a municipal course is your best bet and would probably have very little restrictions if you actually called them and talked to head pro.

If you trying to find a place in Dallas, Atlanta or Miami that is public it's going to be a lot work to find what you want without it being a private course. I think California has a lot muni courses that also fit what your looking for but living there is pretty expensive and you may have an issue finding something close to where you can actually live.

> @leezer99 said:

> My son plays a Muni course for free during the week after 3. Just show up, make a group and get on the tee sheet. There are always kids up there to play with and they all walk except the 17 year old kid that also works the cart barn.

I’ve thought of this, but the 15 year old plays off scratch and really needs to regularly get 18 in. The only time he gets to play 18 here in Asia is during actual competitions. I’m not sure starting at 3 will get him the experience he needs.

> @Tugu said:

> > @leezer99 said:

> > My son plays a Muni course for free during the week after 3. Just show up, make a group and get on the tee sheet. There are always kids up there to play with and they all walk except the 17 year old kid that also works the cart barn.

>

> I’ve thought of this, but the 15 year old plays off scratch and really needs to regularly get 18 in. The only time he gets to play 18 here in Asia is during actual competitions. I’m not sure starting at 3 will get him the experience he needs.

>

>

Is he home schooled because here school ends around 3.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

> @leezer99 said:

> > @Tugu said:

> > > @leezer99 said:

> > > My son plays a Muni course for free during the week after 3. Just show up, make a group and get on the tee sheet. There are always kids up there to play with and they all walk except the 17 year old kid that also works the cart barn.

> >

> > I’ve thought of this, but the 15 year old plays off scratch and really needs to regularly get 18 in. The only time he gets to play 18 here in Asia is during actual competitions. I’m not sure starting at 3 will get him the experience he needs.

> >

> >

>

> Is he home schooled because here school ends around 3.

The elder child has asked to attend online school for a year to see if he keeps up his GPA whilst seeing if he’s able to take his golf to the next level.

Saw your post in the other forum, but I'll comment here instead.

Is golf the major reason why you're relocating? Do you want a small town or big city? What is your budget for golf related expenses per month? Difficult to give a recommendation without this information IMO.

If I were in your situation and had carte blanche, I'd move to the Monterey area, join MPCC, and send my kids to Stevenson. Not a realistic endeavor at all, but you're going to get recommendations ranging from this to munis unless you set some tighter parameters.

I also don't think you can go wrong with San Diego. Torrey Pines HS seems to win the CIF State Championship every other year. Probably need to be a low single digit just to make that team. There's a lot of clubs in San Diego and the public options aren't bad either. There's a junior afternoon rate for Torrey Pines as well. Lots of quality instructors and the home of the golf industry. Weather was rainier than usual last year, but is usually fairly tame in the winter. Cold enough for a sweater, but sometimes the bermuda grass doesn't even go dormant. Bo Jin was the runner up at this year's US Jr. Am. He's based out of Encinitas which is in North SD County.

> @Shades234 said:

> Saw your post in the other forum, but I'll comment here instead.

>

> Is golf the major reason why you're relocating? Do you want a small town or big city? What is your budget for golf related expenses per month? Difficult to give a recommendation without this information IMO.

>

> If I were in your situation and had carte blanche, I'd move to the Monterey area, join MPCC, and send my kids to Stevenson. Not a realistic endeavor at all, but you're going to get recommendations ranging from this to munis unless you set some tighter parameters.

>

> I also don't think you can go wrong with San Diego. Torrey Pines HS seems to win the CIF State Championship every other year. Probably need to be a low single digit just to make that team. There's a lot of clubs in San Diego and the public options aren't bad either. There's a junior afternoon rate for Torrey Pines as well. Lots of quality instructors and the home of the golf industry. Weather was rainier than usual last year, but is usually fairly tame in the winter. Cold enough for a sweater, but sometimes the bermuda grass doesn't even go dormant. Bo Jin was the runner up at this year's US Jr. Am. He's based out of Encinitas which is in North SD County.

I lived in La Jolla shores for two years. Broke my heart to leave. Used to surf Scripps almost everyday. My boy went to Torrey Pines elementary.

Back to golf. Yes my boys wish to play golf is my primary motivation right now. They’ve given up so much due to my work, it’s time I gave back a little.

I don’t think there are actually a lot of choices for juniors in the San Diego area. But I’ll start looking. If places like Torrey pines could just let the boys on after 12, then I’d be into getting back there and waking up in the middle of the night to start work again.

As for narrowing down my options, I really would appreciate all kinds of suggestions. Having lived all over the world, I’ve just got that rabbit in my blood.

Found this and am seriously considering it. God knows what Port St Lucie is like, but I’m up for it if they can just let the boys out an hour earlier.

http://www.stlucietrail.com/junior/

> @Tugu said:

> Found this and am seriously considering it. God knows what Port St Lucie is like, but I’m up for it if they can just let the boys out an hour earlier.

>

> http://www.stlucietrail.com/junior/

>

>

>

>

How much are you budgeting a month for a golf membership? Looking at this you must be looking at the junior membership. If you looking to only pay $250 a month you pretty much get what you pay for. Most memberships are quite a bit higher for year round.

With Florida we have busy winters and summers are very hot in the afternoon with hardly anyone on it so summer memberships are not much. If you want to play a lot golf you need a year round membership to get the best times to play. It also costs more to maintain a course year round in florida so the prices tend to be higher then you see elsewhere but you also can play a lot.

Coming from Asia DFW is a good area if you want asian culture nearby as there is a large Asian population there.

If you are under 40 you can not beat ClubCorp I believe they have a lot clubs and you can get a similar deal in places like LA, Tampa and Atlanta where they own a ton clubs. All the courses are kid friendly if they can play.

https://www.clubcorp.com/Landing-Pages2/ClubCorp-DFW-Young-Executive-Membership

Otherwise you may want to check out this club

https://www.lantanagolf.com

> @Tugu said:

> > @Shades234 said:

> > Saw your post in the other forum, but I'll comment here instead.

> >

> > Is golf the major reason why you're relocating? Do you want a small town or big city? What is your budget for golf related expenses per month? Difficult to give a recommendation without this information IMO.

> >

> > If I were in your situation and had carte blanche, I'd move to the Monterey area, join MPCC, and send my kids to Stevenson. Not a realistic endeavor at all, but you're going to get recommendations ranging from this to munis unless you set some tighter parameters.

> >

> > I also don't think you can go wrong with San Diego. Torrey Pines HS seems to win the CIF State Championship every other year. Probably need to be a low single digit just to make that team. There's a lot of clubs in San Diego and the public options aren't bad either. There's a junior afternoon rate for Torrey Pines as well. Lots of quality instructors and the home of the golf industry. Weather was rainier than usual last year, but is usually fairly tame in the winter. Cold enough for a sweater, but sometimes the bermuda grass doesn't even go dormant. Bo Jin was the runner up at this year's US Jr. Am. He's based out of Encinitas which is in North SD County.

>

> I lived in La Jolla shores for two years. Broke my heart to leave. Used to surf Scripps almost everyday. My boy went to Torrey Pines elementary.

>

> Back to golf. Yes my boys wish to play golf is my primary motivation right now. They’ve given up so much due to my work, it’s time I gave back a little.

>

> I don’t think there are actually a lot of choices for juniors in the San Diego area. But I’ll start looking. If places like Torrey pines could just let the boys on after 12, then I’d be into getting back there and waking up in the middle of the night to start work again.

>

> As for narrowing down my options, I really would appreciate all kinds of suggestions. Having lived all over the world, I’ve just got that rabbit in my blood.

>

> Found this and am seriously considering it. God knows what Port St Lucie is like, but I’m up for it if they can just let the boys out an hour earlier.

>

> http://www.stlucietrail.com/junior/

>

>

>

>

Port St. Lucie is a crap hole. I live 30 minutes North and work through that county weekly. Haven't been to that course in while. PGA used to own it and sold it.

I would look into an Academy if I were you. Sounds like money isn't and issue. Don Law Academy in South Florida is great.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

> @heavy_hitter said:

> > @Tugu said:

> > > @Shades234 said:

> > > Saw your post in the other forum, but I'll comment here instead.

> > >

> > > Is golf the major reason why you're relocating? Do you want a small town or big city? What is your budget for golf related expenses per month? Difficult to give a recommendation without this information IMO.

> > >

> > > If I were in your situation and had carte blanche, I'd move to the Monterey area, join MPCC, and send my kids to Stevenson. Not a realistic endeavor at all, but you're going to get recommendations ranging from this to munis unless you set some tighter parameters.

> > >

> > > I also don't think you can go wrong with San Diego. Torrey Pines HS seems to win the CIF State Championship every other year. Probably need to be a low single digit just to make that team. There's a lot of clubs in San Diego and the public options aren't bad either. There's a junior afternoon rate for Torrey Pines as well. Lots of quality instructors and the home of the golf industry. Weather was rainier than usual last year, but is usually fairly tame in the winter. Cold enough for a sweater, but sometimes the bermuda grass doesn't even go dormant. Bo Jin was the runner up at this year's US Jr. Am. He's based out of Encinitas which is in North SD County.

> >

> > I lived in La Jolla shores for two years. Broke my heart to leave. Used to surf Scripps almost everyday. My boy went to Torrey Pines elementary.

> >

> > Back to golf. Yes my boys wish to play golf is my primary motivation right now. They’ve given up so much due to my work, it’s time I gave back a little.

> >

> > I don’t think there are actually a lot of choices for juniors in the San Diego area. But I’ll start looking. If places like Torrey pines could just let the boys on after 12, then I’d be into getting back there and waking up in the middle of the night to start work again.

> >

> > As for narrowing down my options, I really would appreciate all kinds of suggestions. Having lived all over the world, I’ve just got that rabbit in my blood.

> >

> > Found this and am seriously considering it. God knows what Port St Lucie is like, but I’m up for it if they can just let the boys out an hour earlier.

> >

> > http://www.stlucietrail.com/junior/

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Port St. Lucie is a crap hole. I live 30 minutes North and work through that county weekly. Haven't been to that course in while. PGA used to own it and sold it.

>

> I would look into an Academy if I were you. Sounds like money isn't and issue. Don Law Academy in South Florida is great.

I wish money was not an issue. Just finished with custody after 8 yrs and litigation in 3 countries, hence money is very much an issue. Kiddos are the apple of my eye, can’t imagine shipping them off to a golf school.

Bummer about Port St Lucie, I surfed hurricane Bill in Flagler 2009. Had a ball!

> @Tugu said:

> Noles - I do not have plans to join any club/course.

>

I should add that almost any course will want to have the parents join and then include the kids. They don't want the liability to just allow kids on the course. Also a lot clubs have some pretty good social opportunities. If you don't want to join your going to be stuck in Muni Course world.