> > @grantc79 said:

> > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > @grantc79 said:

> > > > > > > @MountainGoat said:

> > > > > > > > @northgolf said:

> > > > > > > > Goat,

> > > > > > > > You can look his scores up on ghin using name/state. Everything you need to know, you quoted. A bunch of mid/low 70s for the last 5.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I don't have a username or password for that system. I just want to continue the curve I started in post #464.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > H 9/15/19 76 71.1/125 4.4 Tchefuncta Country Club Tchefu

> > > > > > H 9/13/19 76 72.1/133 3.3 Beau Chene Country Club Magnol

> > > > > > H 9/12/19 76 72.1/133 3.3 Beau Chene Country Club Magnol

> > > > > > A 9/7/19 75 73.7/136 1.1 Money Hill Golf and Country Cl

> > > > > > C 9/6/19 73 72.1/129 0.8 Beau Chene Country Club Oak Co

> > > > > > H 9/5/19 76 72.0/132 3.4 Beau Chene Country Club Oak Co

> > > > > > A 9/1/19 81 71.1/125 8.9 Tchefuncta Country Club Tchefu

> > > > > > H 8/20/19 81 72.0/132 7.7 Beau Chene Country Club Oak Co

> > > > > > A 8/16/19 81 72.3/130 7.6 Hot Springs Village Cortez Gol

> > > > > > C 8/13/19 80 72.2/129 6.8 Beau Chene Country Club Magnol

> > > > > > H 8/11/19 81 72.1/133 7.6 Beau Chene Country Club Magnol

> > > > > > H 8/9/19 76 72.1/133 3.3 Beau Chene Country Club Magnol

> > > > > > A 8/6/19 76 71.0/126 4.5 Grand Ridge Golf Club Grand Ri

> > > > > > H 8/1/19 81 72.1/133 7.6 Beau Chene Country Club Magnol

> > > > > > H 7/28/19 82 72.0/132 8.6 Beau Chene Country Club Oak Co

> > > > > > H 7/28/19 90 72.0/132 15.4 Beau Chene Country Club Oak Co

> > > > > > C 7/24/19 81 72.0/128 7.9 Beau Chene Country Club Oak Co

> > > > > > C 7/23/19 79 72.2/129 6.0 Beau Chene Country Club Oak Co

> > > > > > H 7/11/19 86 72.1/133 11.8 Beau Chene Country Club Magnol

> > > > > > C 7/10/19 77 72.2/129 4.2 Beau Chene Country Club Magnol

> > > > >

> > > > > How’s this project coming along? Willing to share your scores for the last month so I can update my graph?

> > > >

> > > > Only played once so far this month.

> > > >

> > > > I have played more, but sparsely really just doing 3 or 4 holes here and there.

> > > >

> > > > My one round was a 79 at Tchefuncta Country Club which is now where my home course is.

> > > >

> > > > Work and Physical Therapy is eating me up. Lesson tomorrow though.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > My index went up .3 this month I am now at a 3.5

> > > Well, I'm very sorry to hear that. I thought you gave up work. Your thread was the only improvement blog where we had actual performance numbers rather than narrative highlights of successes. It also spoke to some fundamental issues about the limits of improvement and the role of instruction. I'm not surprised to hear about the physical issues. Frankly, that concern was the source of my comment back in post #26. Good luck with the therapy, and I hope your health improves.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > @oikos1 said:

> > > Bummer. Unfortunately, the "one year full time golfer job" experiment has become tainted. I wish you well in your quest for scratch or better.

> >

> > Yall act like I died or gave up the game, definitely not giving up the goal I still have 9 more months or so left to pull it off.

> >

> > I have a lesson today and we will see how that goes, I am finding the more upright I stand the easier it is to stay pelvic neutral throughout the swing, which keeps me rotating through impact, more lag, better face control, etc.

> >

> > At the beginning of this if I thought I would have been a 3.5 at this stage I would have been thrilled.

> >

> >

>

> Did you possibly setup with too much anterior pelvic tilt before?

Just got back from vacation.

I basically walked around with and no doubt set up with too much forward pelvic tilt basically with the top of my pelvis tilting forward and the bottom of the pelvis pulling back.

This only became more pronounced throughout my swing as I attempted to rotate with speed. The more speed I try to add the more the issue rears its ugly head.

I'm now to the point where if I don't over swing I can maintain proper form but I can't go at it full tilt without losing it a bit.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> This swing is from October 11th.

Thanks for the YouTube format; makes analysis a lot easier. Now if you could just correct the 4 degree camera tilt. :)

I've got to say...this swing looks really good. I don't know what club you're swinging, but your back angle looks comfortable, i.e., you're not super bent over and reaching for the ball. You maintain that angle very nicely all the way thru the whole swing. That's textbook. Your hands at setup are high but not stupid high. The angle between shaft and trail arm is 162 degrees, so you're above 'standard' (150 degrees or so) but well below dead straight (180 degrees). This will allow your wrists to set nicely at the top, which they do. Your shaft is a bit laid off on the backswing, but you rescue your position at the top. I interpret that to mean that something in your grip is making you a little 'handsy'.

Your position at the top is perfectly on the impact plane; your club face at the top is on plane; and you track back on plane all the way to the ball. Your downswing is positively Bryson-esque. I measure your plane at 66 degrees, which means the toe of your club might be a bit upright at impact. You'll hit draws without correction. Your follow-thru suggests that you might be getting ahead of the ball, so if you're spraying to the right, that's the cause. It's possible that your outside release is compensating for the upright toe at impact. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

I love this move. I think the issue will be matching clubs to it more than trying to make mechanical corrections. It's mechanically very sound. Bryson talks about keeping his hands neutral, so I'd recommend keeping an eye on that. Grip size can play an important role in that department.

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @grantc79 said:

> > This swing is from October 11th.

>

> Thanks for the YouTube format; makes analysis a lot easier. Now if you could just correct the 4 degree camera tilt. :)

>

> I've got to say...this swing looks really good. I don't know what club you're swinging, but your back angle looks comfortable, i.e., you're not super bent over and reaching for the ball. You maintain that angle very nicely all the way thru the whole swing. That's textbook. Your hands at setup are high but not stupid high. The angle between shaft and trail arm is 162 degrees, so you're above 'standard' (150 degrees or so) but well below dead straight (180 degrees). This will allow your wrists to set nicely at the top, which they do. Your shaft is a bit laid off on the backswing, but you rescue your position at the top. I interpret that to mean that something in your grip is making you a little 'handsy'.

>

> Your position at the top is perfectly on the impact plane; your club face at the top is on plane; and you track back on plane all the way to the ball. Your downswing is positively Bryson-esque. I measure your plane at 66 degrees, which means the toe of your club might be a bit upright at impact. You'll hit draws without correction. Your follow-thru suggests that you might be getting ahead of the ball, so if you're spraying to the right, that's the cause. It's possible that your outside release is compensating for the upright toe at impact. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

>

> I love this move. I think the issue will be matching clubs to it more than trying to make mechanical corrections. It's mechanically very sound. Bryson talks about keeping his hands neutral, so I'd recommend keeping an eye on that. Grip size can play an important role in that department.

You are a pretty astute fella.

My lie angle on my clubs is exactly 66 degrees across the board, single length 7 irons. I'm generally hitting draws.

I also just grabbed up a couple of SLDR fairway woods, 3 and 5 woods to be exact, which I can get the lie angle up to 62 degrees on with the upright setting.

I spent a lot of time working on gaining distance with my driver a couple of years ago and developed a wonderful upward golf swing which is killing my iron game. My default driver swing is 3-4 degrees upright so I can hit some high low spin bombs but unfortunately it bleeds over to my irons so I'm starting to focus more and more on just getting left earlier in my back swing with all clubs and stopping the hanging back move.

I am also focusing a lot more on continuing to turn well past impact and eliminate the snap release and timing that. Getting more left and just dragging through and not getting that impact snap leads to some very pure pretty straight shots when I do it well.

I have also been focusing on an immediate hinge of the wrists to get me very upright on that 66 degree plane that you are talking about. The more steep I seem to get on my back swing the more solid my strike becomes.

With this upright swing my iron swing speed drops to about 88 mph and driver down to about 108 mph but its easy on my back and misses are very manageable.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @grantc79 said:

> My lie angle on my clubs is exactly 66 degrees across the board, single length 7 irons. I'm generally hitting draws.

>

> I also just grabbed up a couple of SLDR fairway woods, 3 and 5 woods to be exact, which I can get the lie angle up to 62 degrees on with the upright setting.

Note that as your clubs get longer (driver, 3w, 52), your swing plane will get flatter. It'll be the same relative to your back angle, but flatter relative to the ground. Thanks to the flex complexities of graphite shafts, finding the best lie angle with those clubs is always a challenge.

• 5 months later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31MTG-k1HSEQuarantined might as well stir this pot back up.

Current handicap 2.7 took 4 months off during the winter with neck and back issues. I have a little over 2 months to meet my goal not looking promising but we will see.

• Like 1

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

• 2 months later...

I got down to 2.7 fought a lot of back and neck injuries and work stuff.

Looking back I think injury free and work free and a bit more practice discipline from me it was doable but I didn’t pull it off.

i got sidelined for about 4 months due to nerve pain weakness and numbness in left leg and left arm from past injuries.

i think the physical aspect of it was harder and needed more attention from me, seeing a physical therapist friend 5 days a week now to work on strength and mobility.

Was a lot if fun trying and playing and practicing even more now do I guess we will see where I wind up in another year.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I did not follow this thread closely, but read the first few pages when it came out.

Overall - good for you man. You may not reached your ultimate goal but you dropped your handicap a lot for a single year that is something to be very proud of. You did something a vast majority of golfers will never do, and that is really grind to get better.

In golf as in life, the journey is the true destination.

Hello there!

Can't believe I missed this thread. Good on you for attempting it.

I will say this: Getting from 2 to 4 to legit (not vanity 'capping it) scratch or below is almost as much about learning to manage your game, score, and learning to actually play the full game of golf (not "golf swing") as it it about perfecting your "move." And to be able to get to that level and have it hold up in tournaments on courses you've never played is another thing entirely.

If you truly want to take the last few strokes off of your game, that is likely possible, but also not likely in the way that you think it will happen...

If I can get there with this short, weird-*ss move, you can, too:

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Completely agree for the most part but then again the better your body and the better your mechanics the higher the ceiling you can reach.

The point of the thread was to hit that ceiling which I probably did with my body in pretty bad shape from a mobility and strength standpoint.

Next goal is scratch or better with a better body and better swing.

I went from a low 80's golfer to now basically I never shoot 80 I'm always 74 to 78. Had a couple rounds where I was under par late into the round and then screwed it up which is totally mindset and course management. I'm routinely breaking par on 9 holes now just haven't put a whole round together.

When I hit scratch, I'll want to be a plus 1 or 2. If I get there I'll wanna make a run at mini tours so I'll want to get to plus 3 or 4. If I pull that off then F it I'm going to try to do champions tour in 9 more years.

Its about the journey and not settling.

I have a friend who tells me continually "your swing is fine just chip and putt your body will hold up you don't need to improve your mechanics"

In a way he's right my chipping and putting have improved a lot which is probably 70% of my improvement. But I know that if I don't improve my body I can only improve chipping and putting so much and then I will hit that ceiling of poor swing mechanics holding me back from going lower. If I wanna get as good as possible, it all has to improve.

• Like 1

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60