2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Fall/Winter Golf in the PNW

my #1 golf goal this year was to establish a handicap so i could play in tournaments with friends next year. i can hardly believe how quickly summer's gone by and am starting to worry i might not achieve this goal. long story short, i haven't made as much time as i would've liked to go play but no regrets...

anyway, i recall reading something about the posting season changing around here to include winter scores but a quick google search didn't yield anything definitive. does anyone know if this is the case or when the posting season closes?

additionally, i'm happy to put my push cart and rain gear to task* if that's what it takes. would be grateful for any recommendations to improve enjoyment and performance in cold, wet weather in this part of the world.

thank you!

*looking for umbrella recommendations that fit clicgear. big bonus for UV protection and ability to withstand those blustery gorge winds!!

Assuming you meant to post this in the Northwest subforum. You'll get a lot more responses there rather than the General Golf Talk forum.

Posting season in Oregon/SW Washington is March 1- Nov 30. Anything posted after Nov 30 through the app or online will not be included in your index calc. That's two and a half months to get scores in. That should be plenty of time. If you are a couple short, your index will pick up right where you left off next March.

As for rain gear, follow the basic rule of "wear your umbrella" and it'll save you a lot of frustration. Buy GoreTex jacket and pants, some light warm base layers, rain gloves, a waterproof bag and forget the umbrella, especially if you're playing in the Gorge. Winds can easily top 40 mph out there. Any umbrella will be shredded before you make the turn.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

The Washington State Golf Association web site has the posting season from March 1 to November 15, slight difference from Oregon, but, check with your ghin provider.

For an umbrella recommendation, I would go with a ShedRain umbrella from Costco. But, an umbrella on a pushcart will act as a sail in the wind.

• Like 1

> @spud3 said:

>

> As for rain gear, follow the basic rule of "wear your umbrella" and it'll save you a lot of frustration. Buy GoreTex jacket and pants, some light warm base layers, rain gloves, a waterproof bag and forget the umbrella, especially if you're playing in the Gorge. Winds can easily top 40 mph out there. Any umbrella will be shredded before you make the turn.

God that sounds miserable. I cant imagine not playing golf for MONTHS plus having to deal with months of bad weather and not feeling your fingers.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @spud3 said:

> >

> > As for rain gear, follow the basic rule of "wear your umbrella" and it'll save you a lot of frustration. Buy GoreTex jacket and pants, some light warm base layers, rain gloves, a waterproof bag and forget the umbrella, especially if you're playing in the Gorge. Winds can easily top 40 mph out there. Any umbrella will be shredded before you make the turn.

>

> God that sounds miserable. I cant imagine not playing golf for MONTHS plus having to deal with months of bad weather and not feeling your fingers.

technically, i haven't really *played* golf in YEARS. i'm just grateful to have been able to practice once a week (more or less) since the beginning of this year and hope to make playing regularly a part of my life again.

after a bit of research i think there's *almost* no such thing as bad weather if one is prepared for it, and i'm not deterred from fall/winter golf out here in the slightest. though one thing i absolutely cannot stand is getting mud/dirt in my eyes after hitting off of a soggy lie. need to get some protective glasses so i don't flinch before shots. :D

otherwise, push cart for "cart path only", good socks, shoes, hat, gloves, layers, outerwear, hand/ball warmers, lots of towels and an umbrella(*) to hang them on, snacks and thermos with hot beverage... just like a rainy hike without saddling a heavy backpack!

(*) @spud3 , maybe it would be unwise to open the umbrella at times, but when it's not extremely blustery it can be a very useful tool imo.

@bellken , do you know if the ShedRain is good for blocking UV?

also, thanks to both of you guys for clarifying the posting season. i guess i must've imagined reading about a new posting season extension...

Lots of moisture forecast for this Winter in the NW. Not much snow in the mountain but lots of rain in the lowlands. Which means poor golfing condition and poor skiing condition. Not to mention possible water shortage for the next Summer if the snow pack could not meet the increasing demand for the population.

Worse come to worst, if you must be ready in early Spring next year for tournament play. Seek for golf packages over this Fall/Winter. Rounds played in the warmer climate out of State are allowed to be posted and counted for handicap indexing. You should confirm on the PNGA site before you take the trip.

There be lots of "deals" to be had this season and the next few......

I play year around down in Salem. I generally walk with my Clicgear cart. I use a larger bag during wet months as I carry extra jacket, socks, towels, gloves, thermos (at times), and various odds and ends to stay dry. Towels..towels...and more towels.....Hate wet hands and grips. You can try dual gloves but I don't love that. I keep my umbrella up until the winds tell me different. Ive had my cart sail away a few times so Im a little more careful after having to run it down and keep it from drowning in the lake or creeks.

I won't play in a constant heavy rain, but I don't mind some rain.

I wear rain pants pretty much all the time once the weather changes over light slacks or even shorts if not super cold. I also hang multiple gloves from my umbrella if using one to keep them dry. . I stock up on $5 gloves for winter play.

Good luck and you will find what works for you and what doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

> @Pulledabill said:

> I play year around down in Salem. I generally walk with my Clicgear cart. I use a larger bag during wet months as I carry extra jacket, socks, towels, gloves, thermos (at times), and various odds and ends to stay dry. Towels..towels...and more towels.....Hate wet hands and grips. You can try dual gloves but I don't love that. I keep my umbrella up until the winds tell me different. Ive had my cart sail away a few times so Im a little more careful after having to run it down and keep it from drowning in the lake or creeks.

> I won't play in a constant heavy rain, but I don't mind some rain.

> I wear rain pants pretty much all the time once the weather changes over light slacks or even shorts if not super cold. I also hang multiple gloves from my umbrella if using one to keep them dry. . I stock up on $5 gloves for winter play.

> Good luck and you will find what works for you and what doesn't.

thanks for your feedback, especially about your cart sailing away. i've joked about making a cart anchor but multiple people have told me there's nothing to worry about. had my doubts though.

on a related note, i was daydreaming earlier about making a rain shield under the handle to hang towels and gloves when it gets too windy for an umbrella. not sure if it would be effective or if perhaps someone else has created a product for this. might have to search around a bit.

i'm not a huge fan of dual gloves, either, though they've been handy (heh) when it gets cold. this year i might look into hand warmers instead. and for wet weather i may try using a handkerchief. i believe tom watson swore by this method for rainy conditions in the Open.

> @bellken said:

> To keep my bag dry (I use a Clicgear, too), I use a Rain Tek rain cover - https://www.golfdiscount.com/pro-active-raintek-push-cart-rain-cover. I clip my towel via a carbiner to the handle and tuck the towel under the hood to keep it dry, an added bonus, is that stops the wind from flipping the hood over.

+1 for the Rain Tek cover. They really work to keep your clubs and bag dry. Somewhat of a hassle to get stuff out of your bag pockets with that cover on, but it

is well made and keeps your stuff dry.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

> @third-times-a-charm said:

> > @spud3 said:

> >

> > As for rain gear, follow the basic rule of "wear your umbrella" and it'll save you a lot of frustration. Buy GoreTex jacket and pants, some light warm base layers, rain gloves, a waterproof bag and forget the umbrella, especially if you're playing in the Gorge. Winds can easily top 40 mph out there. Any umbrella will be shredded before you make the turn.

>

> God that sounds miserable. I cant imagine not playing golf for MONTHS plus having to deal with months of bad weather and not feeling your fingers.

>

>

I did it for 8 years and channeled my inner Scotsman as long as I could. Eventually couldn't take it anymore ( too old for that crap)

Light/midweight polypro longjohns, 2 sets of rain gear, good wool socks, Out Door research Seattle Sombrero with ear flaps. The only Nike thing I ever liked: The Bandon winter golf boot, feet never got wet.

I see you have a Clic Gear cart so get their hand warmer and some hot pockets hand warmers at Costco, the can keepyout (golf) balls warm.

If you going to ride a bit, have some good water proof mittens ( Ping used to make some nice ones) and rain gloves will come in handy, too.

I lived in Port Angeles and Lake Stevens.

Good luck. I enjoyed a lot of my winter golf there in crazy conditions. I've also never been more miserable on a golf course in my life than 45*, raining/sleeting 20-30mph wind, mudder golf.

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

> @KenEvil said:

> I use the Sun Mountain dry hood over a H2NO bag, lots of space, keeps clubs dry. Combine that with a set of rain gloves with the pinky finger cut off on the right hand. No problems playing in the winter in the PNW.

Interesting with the pinky cut off - can you tell me why you do that? I only ask because my game really struggles when I have to put the second glove on my right hand and I'm wondering if this might help

Titleist TSi3 10* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist TSi2 15* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist TSi2 Hybrid 18* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist U510 21* HZRDUS Black Smoke
Titleist 718 AP1 5-GW i95 Steelfiber
Titleist SM7 52.8F - Jet Black
Titleist SM9 56.10S - Jet Black
2013 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 (Black Mist) - 34"
2021 Titleist ProV1

Also want to make sure you have a pair of either FJ Golf Boots or Nike Vaporstorm. Those make the winter season rounds VERY comfortable, always dry and they seem to be extra warm as well. You can stomp through anything.

Titleist TSi3 10* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist TSi2 15* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist TSi2 Hybrid 18* HZRDUS Black Smoke RDX
Titleist U510 21* HZRDUS Black Smoke
Titleist 718 AP1 5-GW i95 Steelfiber
Titleist SM7 52.8F - Jet Black
Titleist SM9 56.10S - Jet Black
2013 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 (Black Mist) - 34"
2021 Titleist ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

> @RainShadow said:

> > @third-times-a-charm said:

> > > @spud3 said:

> > >

> > > As for rain gear, follow the basic rule of "wear your umbrella" and it'll save you a lot of frustration. Buy GoreTex jacket and pants, some light warm base layers, rain gloves, a waterproof bag and forget the umbrella, especially if you're playing in the Gorge. Winds can easily top 40 mph out there. Any umbrella will be shredded before you make the turn.

> >

> > God that sounds miserable. I cant imagine not playing golf for MONTHS plus having to deal with months of bad weather and not feeling your fingers.

> >

> >

>

> I did it for 8 years and channeled my inner Scotsman as long as I could. Eventually couldn't take it anymore ( too old for that crap)

> Light/midweight polypro longjohns, 2 sets of rain gear, good wool socks, Out Door research Seattle Sombrero with ear flaps. The only Nike thing I ever liked: The Bandon winter golf boot, feet never got wet.

> I see you have a Clic Gear cart so get their hand warmer and some hot pockets hand warmers at Costco, the can keepyout (golf) balls warm.

> If you going to ride a bit, have some good water proof mittens ( Ping used to make some nice ones) and rain gloves will come in handy, too.

> I lived in Port Angeles and Lake Stevens.

> Good luck. I enjoyed a lot of my winter golf there in crazy conditions. I've also never been more miserable on a golf course in my life than 45*, raining/sleeting 20-30mph wind, mudder golf.

this might be my favorite response so far. lots of good advice on how to stay warm -- thank you, sir!!

> @zmosnot said:

> i live out here and its my favorite time of year to play.

>

any particular reason why? e.g. below response about fewer people playing in drizzle makes sense. any other reason?

> @ricknelson said:

> On the bright side it's nice to play a 3 hour round in a slight drizzle.

yes, this makes a lot of sense. 100% would opt for 3-hour round with slight drizzle.

> @"tom.lockhart" said:

> Also want to make sure you have a pair of either FJ Golf Boots or Nike Vaporstorm. Those make the winter season rounds VERY comfortable, always dry and they seem to be extra warm as well. You can stomp through anything.

good suggestions. walking comfortably seems particularly key for this time of year. thank you, sir!!