Talk to me about driving irons...

Tree Levino

I hit the u500 last week and I came away impressed. Fantastic look at address without looking too GI. Felt good out the middle and was pretty easy to hit. If I was in the market probably would have purchased not the spot.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Searching…  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

> @Norboo said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

> >

> > You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

> >

>

> I am experimenting as we speak. I have bought Ping G410 4 iron and paired it up with Recoil. It, I hate the sound and the feel. I get great distance and flight, but that **** sound and feel! I also have the Srixon U85 I like, but not that long.

>

>

They are not the best feeling irons, I'll admit that. I use the full set and coming from forged clubs it's a big difference

That being said, I dont really care

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I was in the same boat as you for a few years - same swing speed, same yardage gap, same issues with hybrids when there was any wind. Experimented with several driving iron type clubs including the TM TP UDI, Ping Crossover, and Titleist t-mb. While all were nice off the tee, they were very limited in a few areas.

Probably the three biggest problems were forgiveness, usability from the rough or imperfect lies, and taking off distance. Any off center strike is going to get killed compared to a similarly struck hybrid (I found toe strikes to be especially penal). The margin for error comes down even further when you get a lie that isn't teed up, and I found that my ballflight got super flat leading to really low landing angles and inconsistent carry distances (both short and long on center strikes). Similarly, I found it difficult to take yardage off consistently and could only do so by hitting cuts to keep launch and spin up.

Last year I finally found a solution in a hybrid on the lower end of the launch spectrum (Titleist 818 h2) playing shorter than standard (+.75" from 4 iron length, which is an inch short of Titleist 21° hybrid standard) with a heavier, stiffer shaft than off the shelf hybrids tend to offer (Accra Fx300h M5). I'm able to manipulate the ball flight higher/lower, get more help on mishits than an iron, and can hit out of tougher lies than I would dream of trying with a driving iron.

I'm sure the most recent driving iron iterations from the last couple years are going to be marginally better with the issues I described, but I can't imagine they could give me the overall performance I've found with this for tight par 4 tee shots, long par 3s, and second shots from both fairway and rough on par 5s. Just my experience of course. :)

> @MtlJeff said:

> Everyone yells at me when I say this, but I'm not sure why there's much benefit to getting a driving iron rather than just buying a GI 3 iron which is much cheaper.

>

> You can get a 18-19 degree Ping G410 iron for like 125$ or whatever it is and it will perform the task you want

>

Ive been saying this for a long time now... given 2 clubs with the same exact loft and length, youd be hard pressed to find much of a difference in carry distance.

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

I have very similar numbers to you, I cannot kick the 712u 3 iron with a s300 out the bag, the flight is perfect, low to mid height piercing bullets, the wind does not touch it but be sure your miss is not on the toe. I have tried newer more forgiving models but none produce the flight of this thing. Feels great too.

I have a Titleist T-MB> @balls_deep said:

> I'm a pretty high ball hitter. I currently have a 19* hybrid I've been using but I find it can go a bit too high/spin quite a bit (I spin it backwards on greens). It goes about 225 carry for me (set to 20*) but gets affected by the wind a lot. I always feel like I have to set up for a fade and I also have it set flat as if I worry about it going left on me. I also grabbed a TM Gapr mid thinking it would offer a bit more help and height than a traditional driving iron but found it still goes insanely high for the loft (partially shaft related I'm sure). Basically, I hit my 4 iron around 210 carry. Looking for something that goes straight and is easy to flight high or low when needed and doesn't want to go left. T-MB 3 iron with graphite shaft? P790 UDI? I'd like to have a tee club for shorter par 4s I can knock down and run out but still use on long par 3s and second shots into par 5s around the 220-230 mark.

>

> For reference: when I say high ball hitter I'm just over 6k spin with a 7 iron and around 120ft peak height with 50 descent angle. Driver is around the 110 mark.

I have a Titleist T-MB 718 2 iron 17° with a AMT White S300 shaft. **Best** club I have in my bag by FAR. I am a very high high ball hitter too, but I can tell you that the combination of this head and shaft is INSANE. I usually carry 230 this club and the ball launches quite low/mid, so if the conditions are favorable, the ball can easily roll up to 260. Also, it is an extremely useful club in heavy wind conditions. Last Saturday in the course I play the wind was quite hard, and I basically used this club on all my tee shots (par 4 / par 5). Also the way it looks its quite awesome:

dcu5uutrb1wh.jpeg

lngem2ktg6yo.jpeg

2vllx397bifj.jpeg

DRIVER PING G425 MAX - 9° (SET TO 10.5°) - PING TOUR 65 X-STIFF 67.0g

3W PING G425 MAX - 14.5° - PING ALTA CB 65 SLATE X-STIFF 71.0 g

2i TITLEIST T-MB 718 - 17° - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

4i-PW TITLEST AP2 718 - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

50° TITLEIST AP2 718 BLACK - TRUE TEMPER AMT TOUR WHITE S300

56° & 60° TAYLORMADE HI-TOE - KBS HI-REV 2.0 120

PUTTER TAYLORMADE SPIDER EX BLUE

BALL BRIDGESTONE TOUR BX

I play to 3-5 depending on the time of year but no longer have your distance, yet enjoy T-MB 17* 2 iron and 95-gram graphite as my driving iron. As configured, it's moderately high or can be a low windcheater with some forgiveness. I use it off tight or shorter Par 4's and Par 5's, for the second shot on Par 5's and long 215+ Par 3's, it stops for me. Spin depends on the user and shaft. I am also looking at Titleist's new U-500 17* but with a different graphite shaft.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

For those unfamiliar, just because someone uses a 3 or 4 iron off a tee doesn't make it an actual driving iron. Look up the definition of contemporary driving iron, the head design is different, has a wider sole, more forgiving, and shafts are typically different.

I carried a 16* 1 iron till switching to 17* 2 iron fifteen years back. The Mizuno MB 1 iron was nothing like contemporary driving irons and had less loft. It was a long iron, 40" playing length, narrow sole, almost no offset, and -2* bounce, that I could hit mid-low 240yds plus run like a banshee, a solid strike reached 250+yds. Today, the same can be done only with more forgiveness using my 2018 Titleist T-MB 17*, offset is 4.3m and PXi 6.0 112 gram shaft at 39.5" playing length, mid-bend with med/firm tip. Only I am much older now and only get 215+ run out and remain a loyal 2i user out of love.

So, yes, a 4 or 3 iron can be used as a driving iron but today it needs modifications. The F9 4 iron that Ricky Folwer has is built to 3 iron standards with a GD shaft; essentially not a 4 iron but a Game improvement head with a wide sole, more offset, beefed up the loft and longer shaft. Similar in ways to Speith's T-MB 3 iron with stronger loft and GD graphite 39.5" shaft, recently replaced by a bonified U-500 driving iron. Good luck...

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

> @Pepperturbo said:

> For those unfamiliar, just because someone uses a 3 or 4 iron off a tee doesn't make it an actual driving iron. Look up the definition of contemporary driving iron, the head design is different, has a wider sole, more forgiving, and shafts are typically different.

>

> I carried a 16* 1 iron till switching to 17* 2 iron fifteen years back. The Mizuno MB 1 iron was nothing like contemporary driving irons and had less loft. It was a long iron, 40" playing length, narrow sole, almost no offset, and -2* bounce, that I could hit mid-low 240yds plus run like a banshee, a solid strike reached 250+yds. Today, the same can be done only with more forgiveness using my 2018 Titleist T-MB 17*, offset is 4.3m and PXi 6.0 112 gram shaft at 39.5" playing length, mid-bend with med/firm tip. Only I am much older now and only get 215+ run out and remain a loyal 2i user out of love.

>

> So, yes, a 4 or 3 iron can be used as a driving iron but today it needs modifications. The F9 4 iron that Ricky Folwer has is built to 3 iron standards with a GD shaft; essentially not a 4 iron but a Game improvement head with a wide sole, more offset, beefed up the loft and longer shaft. Similar in ways to Speith's T-MB 3 iron with stronger loft and GD graphite 39.5" shaft, recently replaced by a bonified U-500 driving iron. Good luck...

>

>

Aren't we just arguing semantics at this point. My 21* 4 iron has a forgiving design that has a high-cog for low spin. Does it launch higher than your 17*? Sure but it is a low, boring wind cheater that I wouldn't hit out of any lie that was less than ideal. To be honest, since you need to hit it higher on the face, it is really only good for the tee. Hence, driving iron.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I just use my Callaway apex mb 4 iron off the tee. Can hit it high or a low driving draw that runs out. I can carry it 225-230 off the tee and run out to 245.

G410 19* in the bag that I can absolutely rip. And it is way more forgiving then a driving iron for me. I am a 0.7 cap with a high swing speed. Just put the hybrid in the bag this year and it is awesome

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

I recently got rid of my UDI and have decided to go with more forgiving but still matching set 3 irons.

Went with an HMB 3 iron at 18 degrees in my mizuno MP 20 set, and 18 degree 585 to go with my 785 Srixons. I find them both to be much more forgiving then what the UDI was, but still clubs I like the look of and get plenty of distance from. They are almost exclusively tee clubs for me.

I like the fact that the shafts match my other irons, and being a little shorter in length then the UDI was I do find I control them a little better. Cheaper doesnt hurt also. Haha.

Ping G400 LST (10) - Tour AD XC 7TX

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver (13.5 @ 43") - Tensei Pro White 80 TX

Mizuno STZ 5 Wood - Ventus Red 9X

-or-

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 Iron (18*) - Aldila RIP Alpha 105X Hybrid Shaft

Taylormade P750 Tour Proto (2017) - PX 6.5 - 4-P

Cleveland RTX4 Black - 50/54/58

Scotty Phantom X5 (2022) - 34" - 10G weights

> @Kale_m said:

> I just use my Callaway apex mb 4 iron off the tee. Can hit it high or a low driving draw that runs out. I can carry it 225-230 off the tee and run out to 245.

>

> G410 19* in the bag that I can absolutely rip. And it is way more forgiving then a driving iron for me. I am a 0.7 cap with a high swing speed. Just put the hybrid in the bag this year and it is awesome

Just reshafted my 19* hybrid with Hzrdus black from evenflow blue and it’s made a big difference. Balloon reduced massively and a much more solid feel. Tested the Gapr Lo 2 with KBs X yesterday and was hitting it a mile. Just not sure I could give up a wedge for it. I’d rather hit 3 wood off the tee.

I have the Taylormade TP UDI that i just recently reshafted with the AD DI - 95s. Originally it was a steal shafted 20* which I hit well and could move either way but it felt like it wasn't much of a "driving iron" but more of just a long club. Since its tinkering season, I picked up the GD shaft, tipped it an inch, bent the head 2* strong and I now have an absolute cannon in the bag. I've put it up against the new UDI from TM and hit it alongside the U85 (i play srixon z765s) and I can't find one that beats it.

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

> @zdtallan said:

> I have the Taylormade TP UDI that i just recently reshafted with the AD DI - 95s. Originally it was a steal shafted 20* which I hit well and could move either way but it felt like it wasn't much of a "driving iron" but more of just a long club. Since its tinkering season, I picked up the GD shaft, tipped it an inch, bent the head 2* strong and I now have an absolute cannon in the bag. I've put it up against the new UDI from TM and hit it alongside the U85 (i play srixon z765s) and I can't find one that beats it.

I agree. did something similar, but went from the stock hzrdus 85g shaft. I think the AD-DI shafts are a big game changer for driving irons off the deck as a whole

> @dxdgenert said:

> > @Pepperturbo said:

> > For those unfamiliar, just because someone uses a 3 or 4 iron off a tee doesn't make it an actual driving iron. Look up the definition of contemporary driving iron, the head design is different, has a wider sole, more forgiving, and shafts are typically different.

> >

> > I carried a 16* 1 iron till switching to 17* 2 iron fifteen years back. The Mizuno MB 1 iron was nothing like contemporary driving irons and had less loft. It was a long iron, 40" playing length, narrow sole, almost no offset, and -2* bounce, that I could hit mid-low 240yds plus run like a banshee, a solid strike reached 250+yds. Today, the same can be done only with more forgiveness using my 2018 Titleist T-MB 17*, offset is 4.3m and PXi 6.0 112 gram shaft at 39.5" playing length, mid-bend with med/firm tip. Only I am much older now and only get 215+ run out and remain a loyal 2i user out of love.

> >

> > So, yes, a 4 or 3 iron can be used as a driving iron but today it needs modifications. The F9 4 iron that Ricky Folwer has is built to 3 iron standards with a GD shaft; essentially not a 4 iron but a Game improvement head with a wide sole, more offset, beefed up the loft and longer shaft. Similar in ways to Speith's T-MB 3 iron with stronger loft and GD graphite 39.5" shaft, recently replaced by a bonified U-500 driving iron. Good luck...

> >

> >

>

> Aren't we just arguing semantics at this point. My 21* 4 iron has a forgiving design that has a high-cog for low spin. Does it launch higher than your 17*? Sure but it is a low, boring wind cheater that I wouldn't hit out of any lie that was less than ideal. To be honest, **since you need to hit it higher on the face, it is really only good for the tee. Hence, driving iron**.

If you wouldn't hit your club out of anything less than ideal, it's not semantics, it's a club IMO with limited use, not by design a contemporary driving iron. Check the title of the thread. My utility driving iron has a low COG and high-launch, designed with faster ball speed in mind. Kenny Perry carries a 3iron jacked to 17*. Though he uses it off the tee and deck it's not a driving iron by contemporary standards. When I choke down an inch on mine and adjust address it's an effective wind-cheater off the deck hitting into a green. Yesterday after a good drive on a long Par 4 I had 210 into a protected green. Using 2 iron off the deck with an adjusted address, the high-trajectory club provided a mid-trajectory that bored through cross-breeze covered the hazard and landed greenside, LW up and down for par. A driving iron that's versatile and effective, easy game... lol. Have a good day.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I think its foolish to have a club limited to tee use. (Besides driver). There are so many options nowadays. I carry a T-MB 3 iron but I can hit it on fairway and light rough lies. If I couldn't hit it well without a peg under it, I'd put a different club in the bag.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @balls_deep said:

> I'm a pretty high ball hitter. I currently have a 19* hybrid I've been using but I find it can go a bit too high/spin quite a bit (I spin it backwards on greens). It goes about 225 carry for me (set to 20*) but gets affected by the wind a lot. I always feel like I have to set up for a fade and I also have it set flat as if I worry about it going left on me. I also grabbed a TM Gapr mid thinking it would offer a bit more help and height than a traditional driving iron but found it still goes insanely high for the loft (partially shaft related I'm sure). Basically, I hit my 4 iron around 210 carry. Looking for something that goes straight and is easy to flight high or low when needed and doesn't want to go left. T-MB 3 iron with graphite shaft? P790 UDI? I'd like to have a tee club for shorter par 4s I can knock down and run out but still use on long par 3s and second shots into par 5s around the 220-230 mark.

>

> For reference: when I say high ball hitter I'm just over 6k spin with a 7 iron and around 120ft peak height with 50 descent angle. Driver is around the 110 mark.

We seem to hit the ball about the same. My 7-iron spins 6300 average with a 50.6 landing angle. I just had an iron fitting at Titleist last week and got fitted for the U510 3-iron (20 degree) with the new Even Flow White 100 HY 6.5. My average carry was 239, spinning 3900, 12 degree launch angle, 46 degree landing angle, 102 swing speed, 152 ball speed. Sounds like it might be a solid setup for you as well.

I played the P790-2 and found it to be a fun club off the tee for 1 or maybe 2 holes per round. Beyond that, it stayed in the bag. It's a challenge of the fairway and flighting the ball is not easy. Hitting it low, no problem, but hitting it high or working it, not so much. I can do a lot more creative things with my fairway woods than I can with a driving iron. But that's just me.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

> @"Old Tom Morris" said:

> I think its foolish to have a club limited to tee use. (Besides driver). There are so many options nowadays. I carry a T-MB 3 iron but I can hit it on fairway and light rough lies. If I couldn't hit it well without a peg under it, I'd put a different club in the bag.

I agree with this post 100%. I have the u500 now, and before that, the TMB 2 iron. I can easily hit them off the deck; if I could only hit them from the tee, it would be time to replace with a hybrid.

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

> @uglande said:

> I played the P790-2 and found it to be a fun club off the tee for 1 or maybe 2 holes per round. Beyond that, it stayed in the bag. It's a challenge of the fairway and flighting the ball is not easy. Hitting it low, no problem, but hitting it high or working it, not so much. I can do a lot more creative things with my fairway woods than I can with a driving iron. But that's just me.

Yeah this was the club I was considering. I play a few 220ish par 3s that are often straight into the wind but I still feel like the UDI could be too much club for that and hitting a hybrid off the deck effectively is much easier.

> @balls_deep said:

> > @uglande said:

> > I played the P790-2 and found it to be a fun club off the tee for 1 or maybe 2 holes per round. Beyond that, it stayed in the bag. It's a challenge of the fairway and flighting the ball is not easy. Hitting it low, no problem, but hitting it high or working it, not so much. I can do a lot more creative things with my fairway woods than I can with a driving iron. But that's just me.

>

> Yeah this was the club I was considering. I play a few 220ish par 3s that are often straight into the wind but I still feel like the UDI could be too much club for that and hitting a hybrid off the deck effectively is much easier.

I am pretty close to you with regards to numbers. I tried the tmb 3 iron with a kuro kage something. P790 with gd ad di. Neither of them performed well for me. I found that a 3 or 2 iron with my same iron shaft will give me the distance I need and the descent angle to stop on a green. I currently use a Nike vapor pro combo 3 iron with my same modus 120s.

In league there's a 289 par 4 that I'm 60 out from every single week while the other 3 dorks in my group are in the woods or bunkers or water cause they hit driver. Definitely try a 3 iron steel shaft.

I also need help in this category. I’ve favored a 5w (about 240yrds) over a hybrid, but my next club is a p760 4i I only hit about 210. I rarely tee off with the 5w and feel like I’d get more utility out of a 3i or 2i p790.

I just haven’t pulled the trigger and I don’t know why... I have it in my cart online, but can’t seem to justify replacing the 5w.

Any suggestions?

Ps: club I’m considering is a p790 3i bent 1.5 deg strong with a project x6.5 steel shaft.