MEMBER REVIEWS: Golf Pride PRO ONLY Putter Grips! See What Members Are Saying!

9h3l08b5tig0.jpg

We have members testing out the new Golf Pride PRO ONLY putter grips and ready to give you their reviews. The testers are reviewing all 3 sizes and shapes of the PRO ONLY putter grip, so be ready to ask questions and see how they are performing for these testers!

**The Testers**

Golf Pride PRO ONLY Red Star

@jokerusn

@ronstars

@Bunker2Bunker

@rocketmutt

@stevehj

Golf Pride PRO ONLY Blue Star

@LowDime

@HappyGilmore22

@jrazz16

@hammergolf

@shivasi

Golf Pride PRO ONLY Green Star

@JStang

@Anser3

@Kylekoz17

@jrshields3

@gdb99

We also want to give a big THANK YOU to Golf Pride for putting on this great testing event!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• 2 weeks later...

I was chosen to test the red star grip. Thank you to Golf Pride and GolfWRX for the opportunity!

2fqc5wpx5e89.jpg

I received my grip nearly 2 weeks ago and have had been able to play with it in multiple rounds and many hours on my practice mat and the practice green at my club.

**Background**:

I am a 9 hcp and the strengths of my game are length, putting, and wedge play. I hardly have any 3 putts per round but sometimes my distance control is off. I started putting Left Hand Low (LHL) a few years ago after a long time putting reverse overlap and having terrible direction control. My direction control improved dramatically but my distance control has taken a lot of time and practice to get better. For the longest time, I used some version of the Pingman grip with some extra wraps or occasionally the Cameron Cord-no-cord grip when I could find it. I've also played many Winn grips over the years as well as random different grips here and there. Lately, my grip du jour is the SuperStroke Pistol GT/GTR Tour. It has the size and shape (mostly) that works great with my hands and stroke but it's not perfect. Unfortunately, for the most part, it makes for a more muted feel with the extra cushioning and PU wrap. I tried using a Best Grips Major Leaguer on a putter of mine and it helped a lot but has a smoother texture than what I was looking for. It has a similar shape to the Pingman but a little less curved in profile and larger in cross-section. When I heard about the upcoming Pro Only grips, I had to try it. And now here we are!

i3hn1favdf1y.jpeg

mxxhvu9n4ywm.jpg

rxial1p0g20r.jpg

pg5gdg40hye7.jpg

I got the grip on a Friday and went directly to my club builder to have it put on. I had it put on my gamer, the carbon putter I designed so I'll get the best impression of its performance. He blows on grips with air so if it didn't work out, I could easily go back to my old grip. I knew at first feel that I wasn't going to need to do that.

**Feel**:

The texture is pure Golf Pride. It's tacky but not sticky, soft but firm, and molds to your hand instantly. It is exactly the same texture as the Pingman and Cameron Pistolero/Pistolini. It's not quite as silky as an Iomic but it's like that favorite t-shirt that you never get rid of because it has the just right feel you judge all others on.

The shape is ideal for my hands. I liked the shape of the Contour Pro but not the soft squishy feel and building it up would make it too large so it was not an option for me. The red star has a nice wide flat platform on the butt end to rest the meat of the palm and the curve of the grip follows the lifeline. The extra size over the Pingman helps fill my hands instead of resting lightly in my fingers. The curve is also a more natural shape for my stroke. When I grip a SuperStroke Pistol Tour, due to the straight flat tip of it, my hands are not in as natural of a position for my putting stroke and it's noticeable at times. The Best Grips pistol is similar in shape but far more evenly curved, probably due to needing an under listing and having each grip individually wrapped. It also doesn't keep its soft texture as long as a typical Golf Pride rubber. You can see from the photos a comparison of similar and popular grips.

wb20y25alqai.jpg

wughob6gf5ry.jpg

fmhwqahq6xih.jpg

_From Left to Right in the first 2 pics - Pro-Only Red Star, SuperStroke Pistol GTR Tour, Iomic standard, Best Grips Major Leaguer pistol, Lamkin Sink Fit Skinny, Pure Midsize_

None are a direct comparison in every sense to the Pro Only Red. Size and shape closest is the Best Grips. Feel closest is the Iomic. The Lamkin is super tacky to the point of sticky but the shape is close to the Red Star.

**Performance**:

As I said, the grip is both soft and firm and offers great feedback and control over the putter. The first round I used it, I scored my all time lowest on my home course - a 79 - and had one of the best putting rounds ever. My hands were completely relaxed on the putter and I was able to make a smooth and unobstructed putting stroke. This let me open and close the putter face evenly and gain confidence that my putts were going to start on line. When I mishit a putt, I can feel that I've mishit it but also the unwanted vibrations are minimized so I don't get a jarring feeling in my hands. It's a very direct and solid connection between me and the putter. One thing I did change since the first time I tried it is that I added another layer of tape under the bottom hand to improve the fit in my hand.

Overall, this is my new favorite grip and I won't be changing any time soon. It's the firmer Contour Pro I asked them for. It's the smoother and easily available CNC. It's the larger Pingman. AND, it's not $30 per grip. For me, it's all the things I've wanted in a putter grip.

• Like 1

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

**Background:**

Played D2 golf (poorly) and maintained a scratch handicap for most of my 20’s. Now, I am in my mid-30s, married, kids, adult job, and play off a 3-4 handicap. The strength of my game has always been within 100 yards. My long game is usually straight and average length (driver swing speed at 105 during the summer).

My real strength in the last 2-3 years has been putting. Currently gaming a SC Pro Platinum Newport 2 that was a summer project 7-8 years ago (stripped off the nickel, buffed out the dings, and added black ox/paintfill).

I have tried every Superstroke, Golf Pride, and Lamkin grip that comes out, and, if they make it past the office putter and the grip goes on my gamer, they only feel good for a few holes then my hands feel lost.

Ping PP58 Midsize stood as my “gamer” grip, and, other than replacing it when needed, it hasn’t changed in a LONG time. Prior to that (Jr Golf to just past college), my grip was the standard PP58 with 2 wraps added.

**Review:**

When I heard about the new Pro Only grips, I was hopeful for a newer version of the old… er… vintage? retro? Pro Only from decades ago. Recently, most grips have been what I consider too soft, too big, and most have an odd shape (I am looking at you reverse-taper). This new grip has a similar shape and feel to the grips of yesteryear in a very good way.

_Shape:_ I reviewed the RED Star. It is shaped very similar to the PP58 (Golf Pride makes them for Ping so that makes sense). It feels slightly larger than the PP58, but not nearly as large as the PP58 Midsize.

_Feel:_ Grip is slightly softer but not much than the old. It is definitely firmer than the other grips out there and until someone mentioned the channels on the sides, I didn’t notice them, but now… I do notice them, but they seem to be at my fingertips and makes me wonder if it is a “reminder” feature on the grip.

_Performance:_ While some of that has yet to be seen. I went full Bryson DeChambeau and poured water on it to see how it did when wet (or when my hands are sopping from the summer heat). The effects were minimal and it dried quickly when wiped with a towel. It is too early to tell how quickly it become slick or tears, but should anything unusual pop-up, I will update.

**Recommendation:**

If you are someone who likes a smaller, firmer grip, or if you grip your putter mostly in the fingers (like me), I would definitely give these a look. For me, it checked a lot of boxes that a lot of current grips don’t and it seemed like the market was missing an updated version of these classics.

Personally, I think Golf Pride hit a home run with these grips, and I am looking forward to buying and testing the Blue star and Green star against the Red later this winter.

omq0vih43o05.jpeg

bgh0wza83x4v.jpeg

• Like 1

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G425 7w (Tensei RO 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

Thank you to GolfWRX and Golf Pride for choosing me to review the Green Star grip. I took some photos comparing to other Golf Pride grips that I have either on a putter or in the drawer. I haven't put the grip on a putter yet but will try to get it on tonight and roll some putts on my garage putting green.

Of all of the grips that I currently have, I prefer the Scotty Dancing cord grip with 2 extra wraps. I have this grip on 3 different putters. I really dislike the triangular Tour Classic putter and find the Pingman to be too small for my liking. I would say the texture of the grip is very similar to the Pingman.

10/22 Update:

I installed the grip on my Byron Morgan DH89 long neck last night and rolled some putts in the garage. I made a lot of putts and the grip feels comfortable in my hands. I previously had the Tour SNSR grip installed on this putter which is much softer both to the hands and feel at impact. The Pro Only grip is definitely a more firm rubber andt it provides good traction similar to the Pingman grip or Scotty Pistolero / Pistolini.

ckkdguynd8sw.jpg

p226vs81uw0y.jpg

paa96z4o5n50.jpg

g9gnr9b7etuq.jpg

hz7r178kcz6a.jpg

pj4hq855laer.jpg

gu5kl0ivi5l6.jpg

5elmz0i1fmvq.jpg

2q547bcu2cas.jpg

6mw3kgg4v12m.jpg

6dw3ings0ncb.jpg

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Red star grip

Saving a spot for updates and full review

10/23/19

First impressions of this grip, nice firm feel and fits very well in the hands. I have preferred grips on the smaller side and typically this shape. I installed this on my Anser 2 and rolled some putts at home on my Birdie Ball mat. Overall i really liked it, it setup well with that putter and the weight was nice with that lighter weight head. I was able to feel face positioning throughout the stroke and gave it some really good solid rolls. Played around for about an hour and looking forward to getting it on the course tomorrow night after work. More updates to come, so far so good!ossubwyay15u.jpg

a24z5n4mlsoe.jpg

10/31/19

I have put more time in with this putter at home on the putting mat and it still feels terrific. I am starting up a simulator league so I will get a few more "putts" in over the winter season. Won't be the same as playing for real but at least it will be a few more good reps in every week. On the putting mat at home it still feels very good in the hands and inspires confidence for me. This style really fits well into my hands and the size is absolutely perfect for me. One of the best grips I have tried in a while. Great stuff here!

• Like 1

Received my "Blue Star" (81) & took it straight to the Pro Shop for installation. As the course is closed for overseeding I won't be able to put it to use until first part of November. I'll head over tomorrow for some pics and to check it out. Putting it on my gamer, a Betti BB-0 DASS...love the mid-size grips so this should be an easy transition. More to come.

Green star grip for me. I now have a couple full rounds with the grip and have to say, they got the feel right with this one. I was a tester for the tour snsr grip and kept that grip on my gamer until receiving this one. I had gotten used to the softer feel of the tour snsr, which was a common complaint in that thread, but had quickly realized why people were complaining after messing with this grip. They’ve gotten the firmer rubber feel and feedback from the hit nailed with this PRO ONLY line. My distance control has been spot on with no 3 putts so far, which is unusual for me when changing grips. I’ve found I do like the shape of the 104cc tour snsr grip better, but the feel and feedback of the green star take priority over the shape of the snsr.

A few pictures below:

hmy95kczttjt.jpeg

cu7bhxwrogdk.jpeg

qt78ulo9a38z.jpeg

0kgo356yqsgg.jpeg

39vqlsgmxu2i.jpeg

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Thank you Golfwrx! I tested the Green Star grip. I had the grip installed with one extra wrap of tape (just like my familiar Ping PP58 grip). I tested this head-to-head against my Ping PP58. Both putters are Odyssey ProType IX 9 HT and are at identical specs. In the past I have tried several putter grips from Lamkin, SuperStroke, Winn, and Ping.

The Pro Only has a slightly larger profile to the PP58.

xytidqnkslca.jpg

v3tgzblwrp34.jpg

On first reaction, the grip had a very tacky, almost sticky feel (not annoyingly sticky, just very tacky). It felt very comfortable in my hand. Obviously, it is about 30 grams heavier than the PP58 which made for a different feel with the putterhead (which can be corrected by changing the weights in my putter).

The aesthetics of this grip are awesome. I would like to say I only pick equipment based on performance. But let's face it, aesthetics play a part in club and component selection as well. I really liked the feel of the channel that runs along the side of the grip. Thumb placement on the face was very comfortable for me. I usually wear a Large Cadet (sometimes extra large cadet) glove, so that should give you some idea for the size. The grip felt firmer than my standard PP58 but not as firm as a cord grip. I highly recommend it for somebody wanting to go to a firmer grip without going too firm.

I putted urethane (Pro V1) and surlyn-covered balls on my indoor putting mat (Birdie Ball). I preferred the feedback of the Pro Only grip with both types of balls. For me, the feel was superb. The firmer rubber and heavier weight helped mute all other feedback except for ball impact. I could immediately tell where I was making contact on the putter face (White Hot Pro Insert). I intentionally mis-hit a few (not that I need to try to mis-hit putts :D ) and could still feel where impact was made ( I also hit a couple with my eyes closed with identical results in the "feel test").

Overall, I highly recommend trying this grip. This is especially true for someone who prefers a rubber grip to TPU and other material options. I am keeping it on my second putter for the time being.

Thank you again, Golfwrx.

> @StillCantPutt said:

> > @Yakes said:

> > I bought the red star...nice grip, but I don't like the grey line / channel running down the sides. Anybody else feel this way?

> >

> Sharpie? Problem solved.

>

There is a channel so you feel the in your palms when griping the putter. It’s not a I don’t like the color thing.

@yakes I have it only #7 and my same feedback. It’s not a deal breaker but I don’t know if I’m going to put it on my gamer.

• Like 1

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Tried the Green Star one out today, as a long time Scotty Cameron Baby T grip user this grip feels very similar in shape, just a bit bigger. I bet if you added 4-5 wraps to a BabyT it would be a very similar grip. The one I have is 89grams and feels firmer than the SNSR grips which I didn't like how much it felt like the grip moved. This is a much better size and more of a std rubber traditional feel. Id say its very similar to a Matador but won't wear out in a few weeks like the winn grips. It will also be better in the rain forsure.

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 100HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Fastback TFB-1.5 T22 Tour

Yep definitely a better feel than the snsr grip so people that like a little bigger grip but don’t want to sacrifice the smaller rubber grip feel, this is for you. A couple more 9 hole rounds in and my speed has been right on. No complaints here

> @StillCantPutt said:

> > @Yakes said:

> > I bought the red star...nice grip, but I don't like the grey line / channel running down the sides. Anybody else feel this way?

> >

> Sharpie? Problem solved.

>

I don't mean the looks, I mean the feel. It's not bad, but my fingers hit it just right so that I can feel it.

> @Yakes said:

> > @StillCantPutt said:

> > > @Yakes said:

> > > I bought the red star...nice grip, but I don't like the grey line / channel running down the sides. Anybody else feel this way?

> > >

> > Sharpie? Problem solved.

> >

>

> I don't mean the looks, I mean the feel. It's not bad, but my fingers hit it just right so that I can feel it.

>

I didn't notice it on mine but I'd definitely have preferred no groove for aesthetics. My hands probably hit it just right

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

Thank you to GolfWRX and Golf Pride for choosing me to review the BlueStar grip. I put this on my Gamer Cameron Sante Fe TeI3. It feels great in hand. I like the shap of the grip as it feels like it locks into my hands well. And the Feeling of the grip is great. It has some great soft feeling in my hands. So far the little bit that I have been able to roll it it feels great. Hopefully can still get a little more time before the weather gives it up. I will update as i get more time with it. So far it is a hit for sure.

1j25rtid4aq8.jpg

098oxiln3009.jpg

ogdcp2qa0fv2.jpg

To me these seem like GP is releasing some of Scotty's custom grips. The Red Star is a Pistolini right down to the weight.

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

> @ignitewvu said:

> To me these seem like GP is releasing some of Scotty's custom grips. The Red Star is a Pistolini right down to the weight.

The red star feels firmer to me than a pistolini. That squishiness was one of the reasons I didn't like that grip. And the shape of the red has been around for decades before the pistolini - it's a larger tour tradition, pingman, etc. The ping PP58 is probably closest to it but the texture is different.

• Like 1

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
(¬¬)

Sorry fellow WRX'ers, I have been unable to install the Pro Only grip yet due to the wildfires in my home town in Sonoma County. We were evacuated for 5 days and have been home for 2 dealing with the smoke damage and rotten food. I hope to get the grip installed this week and potentially 9 holes in with it next week or at least a solid putting session, the County is still a mess however...

@knudson81 I hope this doesn't disqualify me from future testing opportunities, but if so I understand.

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

Great reviews and some awesome putters in here. This wasn't on my radar until reading the reviews.

Ronstars, good luck with your house and everything you are dealing with.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi 1k Black 65 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
TaylorMade Soto Long Neck

Pro V1

I didn't win a grip, but I just installed the Pro Only Red Star on my new Odyssey O-Works #7, and I'm really liking it. I have the Midsize PP58 Cord grip (+4 wraps) on my Kingston putter, and put the same amount of wraps on the Red Star. The Red Star is slightly smaller, which I'm unsure how I feel about at the moment, but I really like the texture. It's just the right amount of tacky. It's easy to keep the grip pressure light due to the texture. The other one I was going to try was the Green Star, which still might happen at some point, but either way, Golf Pride has made some solid putter grips.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Review added at Post #3.

Thanks again to GolfWRX and Golf Pride for the honor.

G430 LST 10.5* (Ventus Velocore Black 5S)
SIM2 MAX 15* (Ventus Blue 6S)

G425 7w (Tensei RO 75S)
G430 4h (Tour 2.0 85S)

T300 5-P, 48 (PX LZ 6.0)
SM9 Raw 54s (@53) (DGS200)

SM9 Raw 58s (DG Spinner)

Newport 2 Studio Style

I just want to give a quick review, will update later..

I won a Green Star grip. Thank you to Golf WRX and Golf Pride!

I put this grip on my Odyssey White Hot #2 putter. I wanted a slightly heavier grip than the Winn grip I had on the putter. This was good, Winn was 77 grams, Green Star was 88 grams.

I blew it on my putter, so I can change it to a different putter if needed.

I like the grip over-all, but I'm not sold on it yet. I like the smooth heavy rubber feeling over the soft Winn material. The only think I'm not sold on is the lines running up the sides.

I did just buy an EXO Rossie, and I want to try it on there too.

I will up-date with pics later.

Thanks!

I won the red star, thank you for the opportunity! Things have finally settled down here in Sonoma County with the fires being contained.

I was able to install the grip on my Newport Beach last night, and feeling it this morning I must say...This thing feels fantastic!

It's a bit thicker than a standard pistol style grip and the material is profound. This grip is unlike any I've felt before and I can't wait to get it on the course!

I will write a full review once I get it out!

The Big Dog ~ G425 LST | AD UB 6x
The 3 Banger ~ Mavrik MAX | AD DI 7x
The 5 Banger ~ Mavrik SZ | Motore F3 7x

The Metal ~ T200 4-W
The Shovels ~ SM7 54, 58
Flatstick ~ Spider X Chalk Stability Tour

• 1 year later...

Thread revival here....but I finally tried the Green Star and I'm in love. Long time user of the Baby T and this is the most similar profile I've found. Not size, but profile. A few differences but again the most similar I've personally seen. It's kinda like a midsize baby t, if that makes sense. I've used a ton of grips over the years and this one is a keeper!

Still using my green star from this test.  Can't see myself getting a different putter grip other than to change a feel for a week here or there