2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anybody medium-long hitters using a 7w?

MelloYello

I'm currently in an on-going mission to sort out my fairway situation. I've spent some decent money thus far, but I'm bound and determined to get it absolutely right so I don't have to look back over the next few years playing this stuff. Despite some turnover in the bag this year, I'm very much a set-it-and-forget-it type of guy. Sorting out my fairways is really the last step for me.

I like what I have but the 3w may be redundant. My tee clubs usually consist of a driver which I hit about 275-280 in good conditions and a fairway finder (5w) which goes about 230-ish off the tee. The 3w is often the odd man out. I just don't need it a lot of the time.

So I'm wondering if maybe the more practical combination might be a 5w & 7w?

I'm toying with a Titleist hybrid I got for $40 off the used rack and so far I like the forgiveness but I'm inconsistent with it. I think a 7w might be a cool thing to try. I've seen a couple guys on Tour use them.

Anyone out there doing something like that?

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

A 4w / 7w combination would likely be better. You have a 45+ yd gap between your driver and 5w.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @MelloYello said:

> I'm currently in an on-going mission to sort out my fairway situation. I've spent some decent money thus far, but I'm bound and determined to get it absolutely right so I don't have to look back over the next few years playing this stuff. Despite some turnover in the bag this year, I'm very much a set-it-and-forget-it type of guy. Sorting out my fairways is really the last step for me.

>

> I like what I have but the 3w may be redundant. My tee clubs usually consist of a driver which I hit about 275-280 in good conditions and a fairway finder (5w) which goes about 230-ish off the tee. The 3w is often the odd man out. I just don't need it a lot of the time.

>

> So I'm wondering if maybe the more practical combination might be a 5w & 7w?

>

> I'm toying with a Titleist hybrid I got for $40 off the used rack and so far I like the forgiveness but I'm inconsistent with it. I think a 7w might be a cool thing to try. I've seen a couple guys on Tour use them.

>

> Anyone out there doing something like that?

>

I don't do it currently, but I did so for quite some time, with distance numbers similar to yours. I've always been a lower ball hitter, so the 4w/7w combo has worked very well going back 20 some years. Some people are scared off by the stigma of a "seniors" club, but if it suits your game you can't argue with the results.

> @Argonne69 said:

> A 4w / 7w combination would likely be better. You have a 45+ yd gap between your driver and 5w.

Well, I don't think I want to totally get rid of both my 3w and 5w. My thought was maybe I'd get rid of the 3w (head) to fund the 7w and swap the shafts around a little to have a 18* option to hit tee shots and and a 21* option which would be a 2i/3i replacement.

My thing is, besides going all out with a driver, I just don't seem to ever actually need anything stronger than a 5w during rounds of golf. And TBH, the 45-yd gap is pretty easy to fill. I can always shorten the driver shots by hitting a spinny cut that lands at about 250. That's always in the arsenal for me. And if I ever really feel like going for a green from 250 out (which I would never do unless it was clear and open) I can simply hit driver off the deck. I tried that a few times recently and while it doesn't get much height it's a speedy, low bullet that goes straighter than any 3w I'm going to hit.

So I'm kind of at that point where any given shot I might hit with a 3w can be accomplished with something else I already have (and use a lot more).

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Doesn't Keith Mitchell use a 7w? Dude is one of the longest on tour. I think more than anything it has to do with what flight you want to see, and the purpose of the club how your club delivery. My guess is he never uses it off the tee (or in very limited cases, like ultra long par 3's) and it's purely for par 5's. Maybe he's a big de-lofter of that club so he gets a nice penatrating flight but with enough launch to stop it quickly on greens. Maybe a long iron just wouldn't spin/launch enough for him.

It's probably one of those things you'll need to buy used off eBay and try it out for yourself, I've never seen 7 woods in store.

• Like 2

Medium-long? I hit driver 250 with ease and can push it to 270-280 when I need it. Don't know if that is medium-long.

I love my 7 wood. It gets play every round, while my 3 wood might get action every other round. Finding a 7 wood with a stiff shaft is more work, but they are out there.

I use the 915 F with the stock Diamana Blue shaft in stiff. I get an easy and fairly precise 210 out of it with no effort. I can push it up a little bit and get a bit more, but by gripping down I can get a nice high 195.

Is it more accurate than an iron? No, but I hit the 7 wood from ALL types of turf with a much, much higher success percentage.

After my wedges, the 7 wood is my favorite club. It's really worth giving a try and I do not miss the 3 iron.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

I play a Sonartec GS Tour 19 degree at 41.5”, so kind of a 5 wood/7 wood combo following my M5 3 Wood at 13.5 degrees. I swing 118-119 for what it is worth, with a carry distance right around 300 with Driver. I absolutely love my Sonartec for coming into Par 5’s!

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

16/17 and 19/20 is a wicked fairway combo. Did it for years

The heavenwood v-series and g25 are my two favorites

Make sure you keep a 22h though. Hybrids hit many shots that you can't hit with fairways

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I had a 21* TS2 7 wood that I gamed breifly but as others have mentioned and @balls_deep I just hit the thing too high. I dont play in windy conditions but it was hard to control distance out of not so good lies. Felt the hybrid of the same loft is a lot more versatile and can hit a mixture of different types of shots with it.

• Like 1

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @Argonne69 said:

> A 4w / 7w combination would likely be better. You have a 45+ yd gap between your driver and 5w.

I have been using this combo for the past 7 years.

As far as "medium-long hitters" using a 7W, tour pros Jason Dufner, Keith Mitchell and Scott Stallings carry one. (By chance all are 21° Titleist models.)

In a September _Golf Digest_ article, Stallings says the 7W is a lot more versatile than a driving iron or a crossover.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @ChipNRun said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > A 4w / 7w combination would likely be better. You have a 45+ yd gap between your driver and 5w.

>

> I have been using this combo for the past 7 years.

>

> As far as "medium-long hitters" using a 7W, tour pros Jason Dufner, Keith Mitchell and Scott Stallings carry one. (By chance all are 21° Titleist models.)

>

> In a September _Golf Digest_ article, Stallings says the 7W is a lot more versatile than a driving iron or a crossover.

>

From memory though Scott hits a low ball and has crazy low launch. I remember watching his WITB with MC and he had the front of his irons grinded off a la Srixon because of how crazy his AoA was. If you need height in the long end of the bag it is a fantastic option

I have a Callaway Heavenwood (7-wood) and it's as my 5-wood, I think because I can get it up so high it just carries more, but it's so easy to hit. My 3-wood is getting jealous in the garage closet; I take it out for a spin on the range before play every now and then, but it never makes it onto the course. Last sunday, my 4 best shots of the day were all with the 3-wood.... 2 par-3's, a par-4 where I was in parallel fairway and went over a pond and a stand of trees and onto the green, pin high; another was 18th hole, 200 yrds to green, down wind, landed on front edge but rolled out to back of the green. I'm hardly ever on that green in 2. I wish I can find a hybrid that I can hit as easy as that 7-wood.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

> @Moo said:

> Medium-long? I hit driver 250 with ease and can push it to 270-280 when I need it. Don't know if that is medium-long.

>

> I love my 7 wood. It gets play every round, while my 3 wood might get action every other round. Finding a 7 wood with a stiff shaft is more work, but they are out there.

>

> I use the 915 F with the stock Diamana Blue shaft in stiff. I get an easy and fairly precise 210 out of it with no effort. I can push it up a little bit and get a bit more, but by gripping down I can get a nice high 195.

>

> Is it more accurate than an iron? No, but I hit the 7 wood from ALL types of turf with a much, much higher success percentage.

>

> After my wedges, the 7 wood is my favorite club. It's really worth giving a try and I do not miss the 3 iron.

I also have a 21 degree 915 F with the same shaft. I only fly it about 200 though.

For me, I am about indifferent between fairway and hybrid at this loft. The fairway goes farther and higher and I like it more off the fairway or light rough. The hybrid, with the smaller head and shorter shaft, is better for recovery shots from bad lies /stances.

The 21 degree 915 F I have is tipped 1.5 inches, which Titleist said is there standard but it is more than what MRC recommends. The club actually feels quite a bit stiffer than the 16.5 degree with the same shaft but the ball flight is ok on the 21 degree for me (high but not too high). Although I don't have the swing speed to make height /spin a big problem.

4w-7w-23* hybrid for me (or even a 9w sometimes instead of the hybrid)

The 7w is just so easy to hit from the tee or off the deck.

My 4w is 17*, my 7w 21*. I'm not hitting the 4w off the turf much these days, so I've been toying with the idea of a slightly stronger lofted club (e.g. 16* Tight Lies) for use daily off the tee.

But the 7w will stay.

Edit: and before back issues earlier this year, I'd have described myself as a medium-long hitter, with driver SS at 110mph+.

> For me, I am about indifferent between fairway and hybrid at this loft. The fairway goes farther and higher and I like it more off the fairway or light rough. The hybrid, with the smaller head and shorter shaft, is better for recovery shots from bad lies /stances.

>

> The 21 degree 915 F I have is tipped 1.5 inches, which Titleist said is there standard but it is more than what MRC recommends. The club actually feels quite a bit stiffer than the 16.5 degree with the same shaft but the ball flight is ok on the 21 degree for me (high but not too high). Although I don't have the swing speed to make height /spin a big problem.

I basically agree with your perspective on all these topics. I don't prefer hybrids, so I've found a fairway that works for me. The 915F head cuts through most anything fairly well, but of course it won't go through something like fescue.

I didn't know the specs for tipping the Diamana S+, but that makes sense. I find it to be an acceptable shaft for a fairway, but I could not play it in a driver. In the fairway it loads smoothly and it's very workable with the Titleist head. If I make any changes to the bag for next year, I might put an Evenflow Blue 75 on the 915F, as I love that shaft in fairways (again, could never play it in a driver).

What matters most is that you've found the combination that works best for you. I think the 915F is a fantastic club and you can get them in great condition for a song. They make a nice crack when you hit them on the screws too.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

Definitely can get you great results but in my experience the stronger the player the more you have to find the right shaft to get the flight you want with a 7 wood. A lot of these clubs seem paired with shafts designed for players who need launch help with all clubs.

I put a tipped 72 gram stiff Accra RPG Z shaft in a Titleist 917 7 W (21 degrees) and that stopped the moonshots. Don’t need to hit this club hard. Stock swing and it goes high and long, will stop quickly on a green. I think one key is to swing them smooth like a 7 iron. If I get after it, it just goes higher, not really longer. I like it better than a hybrid or clunky driving iron and I’d only pull it if I found a hollow-headed iron like the p790, Cobra Forged Tec, Maltby TS1/TS2, Mizuno HMB, etc., that I could consistently hit as far. But I’m all woods and irons, no more hybrid.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Just pull the trigger on the 7 wood and then wait to make your next move after putting it through its paces. I love my 917 F2 4-wood and 7-wood. The 7 was my favorite club in the bag the past two seasons. It's not going anywhere.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

> @uglande said:

> Just pull the trigger on the 7 wood and then wait to make your next move after putting it through its paces. I love my 917 F2 4-wood and 7-wood. The 7 was my favorite club in the bag the past two seasons. It's not going anywhere.

I agree with dmeeksDC, you'll generally want a lower launching (and probably heavier) shaft with a 7 wood.(I use Diamana White, 80g) to keep the peak height in the right window. And beware of some manufacturers whose 7 woods are designed to launch the ball to the sky. I like the Titleist 917 and there are several of these being played on tour.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

I play a 4 hybrid as a 5 wood spot. Why ? It goes the distance I need a 5 wood to go. I had the 410 3 hybrid and it simply went too far.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Bought 904f 22 degree a few months ago after trying lots of r11 r15 m1 and Adams Hybrids..... great club.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > A 4w / 7w combination would likely be better. You have a 45+ yd gap between your driver and 5w.

>

> Well, I don't think I want to totally get rid of both my 3w and 5w. My thought was maybe I'd get rid of the 3w (head) to fund the 7w and swap the shafts around a little to have a 18* option to hit tee shots and and a 21* option which would be a 2i/3i replacement.

>

> My thing is, besides going all out with a driver, I just don't seem to ever actually need anything stronger than a 5w during rounds of golf. And TBH, the 45-yd gap is pretty easy to fill. I can always shorten the driver shots by hitting a spinny cut that lands at about 250. That's always in the arsenal for me. And if I ever really feel like going for a green from 250 out (which I would never do unless it was clear and open) I can simply hit driver off the deck. I tried that a few times recently and while it doesn't get much height it's a speedy, low bullet that goes straighter than any 3w I'm going to hit.

>

> So I'm kind of at that point where any given shot I might hit with a 3w can be accomplished with something else I already have (and use a lot more).

>

>

Swapping shafts is definitely an option. Put the 3w shaft on the 5w, and you add a few yards. Choke down an inch and it's back to a 5w.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @uglande said:

> > @uglande said:

> > Just pull the trigger on the 7 wood and then wait to make your next move after putting it through its paces. I love my 917 F2 4-wood and 7-wood. The 7 was my favorite club in the bag the past two seasons. It's not going anywhere.

>

> I agree with dmeeksDC, you'll generally want a lower launching (and probably heavier) shaft with a 7 wood.(I use Diamana White, 80g) to keep the peak height in the right window. And beware of some manufacturers whose 7 woods are designed to launch the ball to the sky. I like the Titleist 917 and there are several of these being played on tour.

>

So true. Good luck finding a used 7w with a stiff shaft. Most have high launching senior shafts in them. The OP sounds open to experimenting, so I'd take the 3w shaft, put it in the 5w, and then pick up a 7w head and put the 5w shaft in it to start.