M5 driver guys...talk about it

getitdaily

What loft?

What shaft?

What's your swingspeed?

What setting?

Still figuring out shaft - 125msi rogue tour s, 661 speeder evo2 x, 661 speeder evo3 s

107-108

Neutral with rogue, one in middle and one in heel with evo2, haven't fully tested the evo3 yet.

Super low spin head so had to go 10.5. Compared it head to head with last year's m4 (8.5). M4 is faster. M5 gets more distance and was more accurate. More testing to come.

Thinking of maybe getting one at a demo sale to try over the winter

Will not following here

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

Correction “will be following”

• Like 1

Tri-hot double wide 

Club: M5

Loft: 9*

Shaft: Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 (79 grams)

Swingspeed: 110mph average

Setting: Neutral (both in center track, front/rear)

These settings seem to be working well, but I am going to experiment with moving the weights into the heel as I seem to be fading the ball much more with this driver.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

> @Philomathesq said:

> Club: M5

> Loft: 9*

> Shaft: Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 (79 grams)

> Swingspeed: 110mph average

> Setting: Neutral (both in center track, front/rear)

>

> These settings seem to be working well, but I am going to experiment with moving the weights into the heel as I seem to be fading the ball much more with this driver.

M5 sits open quite a bit. Try adjusting the loft a few clicks higher

Tri-hot double wide 

M5 9 deg

Tensei Orange Proto (V2) 70TX

Swingspeed 106-110

Weights: One weight back in draw, one all the way forward. 5g lead tape on heel.

Shaft: two clicks towards higher on a 2deg sleeve

I struggled with the M5 at first because of its fade bias when the weights are neutral. After changing the weight setup and closing the face down a bit (was quite open), it became very playable. Consistent 2-3mph ball speed gains over my M3 (measured on FlightScope), with no change in accuracy. It's been a great driver this season.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

> @jll62 said:

> M5 9 deg

> Tensei Orange Proto (V2) 70TX

> Swingspeed 106-110

> Weights: One weight back in draw, one all the way forward. 5g lead tape on heel.

> Shaft: two clicks towards higher on a 2deg sleeve

>

> I struggled with the M5 at first because of its fade bias when the weights are neutral. After changing the weight setup and closing the face down a bit (was quite open), it became very playable. Consistent 2-3mph ball speed gains over my M3 (measured on FlightScope), with no change in accuracy. It's been a great driver this season.

>

>

We're close to opposites on loft setup. I had to deloft a 10.5 one click and used the weight to help close the face in the swing. But, depending on shaft, the one back weight has to be put in the center slot and another shaft the weight has to go in draw.

I'm beginning to be a bigger fan of the adjustable drivers because of this...

I also had to have hit the lottery with my m4. It's fast...m4 at 8.5 was giving me 159-161 ballspeed on 107-108 clubhead. M4 lofted up to 9.25 was giving 158-159.

M5 10.5 lofted down to 9.75 is giving 154-155...but is longer on the course.

M5 9* , played in upright (lie) setting

UST Mamiya Lin-Q 6F5 (60g X)

110 avg SS

One weight 1 notch above lowest spin setting, one weight in toe/ fade bias, 2 strips lead tape next to center track on fade side

Without a doubt the best driver ive played. There are better ball speeds out there driver wise, but the combo of launch/ spin/ dispersion has made this my favorite club. Definitely staying in the bag for next year

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

What loft? 9 degree

What shaft? HZRDUS Smoke 70X

What's your swingspeed? 112-115

What setting? Loft turned down to 8 degrees, weights are positioned one slightly forward of middle and the other a couple clicks towards fade

First round with this driver I was in love. Sound and feel are amazing. Longest and most consistent I have played in a while.

Callaway Paradym TD                 9°   Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60

Callaway Paradym TD 3+         13.5°  Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70

Callaway Apex UW                   19°   Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Apex 21                      4-PW  True Temper XP 105

Callaway Jaws Raw                   54°S ,60°Z True Temper DG Spinner 

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

Callaway Chrome Soft

^Slightly muted feel and lower spin than the '16 M1 for me. Both are great heads but I'd take the M2 from that era for a little more forgivness and not lose anything.

Mine is 460 head 9*

Tensei Pro Orange 60 TX

SS is currently 110

1 click towards lower and factory weight setting

This setup is a mid flight, low spin fade machine for me. My draw swing is dead straight and my normal driver swing produces a 5 yard fade. I may play with settings next year to allow for getting a draw more easily. But I drove the ball great this year knowing that it is not possible for me to hook this club. Worst case is straight pull that doesn't cut back.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

> @DREWZER300 said:

> What loft? 9 degree

> What shaft? HZRDUS Smoke 70X

> What's your swingspeed? 112-115

> What setting? Loft turned down to 8 degrees, weights are positioned one slightly forward of middle and the other a couple clicks towards fade

>

> First round with this driver I was in love. Sound and feel are amazing. Longest and most consistent I have played in a while.

What launch are you producing? I tried the 9.0 head and had several launch around 8-9 degrees and not many that were even near 12 degrees. Had to go 10.5 to get launch up to optimal numbers (12-15) consistently.

> @JJK947 said:

> ^Slightly muted feel and lower spin than the '16 M1 for me. Both are great heads but I'd take the M2 from that era for a little more forgivness and not lose anything.

>

> Mine is 460 head 9*

> Tensei Pro Orange 60 TX

> SS is currently 110

> 1 click towards lower and factory weight setting

>

> This setup is a mid flight, low spin fade machine for me. My draw swing is dead straight and my normal driver swing produces a 5 yard fade. I may play with settings next year to allow for getting a draw more easily. But I drove the ball great this year knowing that it is not possible for me to hook this club. Worst case is straight pull that doesn't cut back.

What are your avg launch and spin numbers?

Testing out DF 70 TX, Pro White 70 TX, and trusty PX HC yellow 76 6.5 (currently in the head now)

119 MPH

One weight at the back of the vert track, then the other in the max fade track.

My fav driver of all time ,feel, distance, spin all optimal. Been toying with newer shafts to get the flight down a bit, but may have to experiment with a 9.5 head. Same as OP had to go with 10.5 because I hit down on it and needed more LA.

Callaway Paradym 9* PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 60 6.0

Callaway Paradym 15* - PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 70 6.0

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 3 HB 20* - Tensei White 85 S

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW - DG 105 S300

Vokey SM9 50* - 54* - 58* - TT Wedge 

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball

Titleist ProV1

> @getitdaily said:

> > @DREWZER300 said:

> > What loft? 9 degree

> > What shaft? HZRDUS Smoke 70X

> > What's your swingspeed? 112-115

> > What setting? Loft turned down to 8 degrees, weights are positioned one slightly forward of middle and the other a couple clicks towards fade

> >

> > First round with this driver I was in love. Sound and feel are amazing. Longest and most consistent I have played in a while.

>

> What launch are you producing? I tried the 9.0 head and had several launch around 8-9 degrees and not many that were even near 12 degrees. Had to go 10.5 to get launch up to optimal numbers (12-15) consistently.

Only had it on a monitor one time. Over 15-20 shots the averages were around 12-13 degree launch angle, 2000 RPM spin, 168mph ball speed. I have always been a high launch, high spin guy. Probably why I love this driver so much.

Callaway Paradym TD                 9°   Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60

Callaway Paradym TD 3+         13.5°  Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70

Callaway Apex UW                   19°   Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75

Callaway Apex 21                      4-PW  True Temper XP 105

Callaway Jaws Raw                   54°S ,60°Z True Temper DG Spinner 

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

Callaway Chrome Soft

> @DREWZER300 said:

> > @getitdaily said:

> > > @DREWZER300 said:

> > > What loft? 9 degree

> > > What shaft? HZRDUS Smoke 70X

> > > What's your swingspeed? 112-115

> > > What setting? Loft turned down to 8 degrees, weights are positioned one slightly forward of middle and the other a couple clicks towards fade

> > >

> > > First round with this driver I was in love. Sound and feel are amazing. Longest and most consistent I have played in a while.

> >

> > What launch are you producing? I tried the 9.0 head and had several launch around 8-9 degrees and not many that were even near 12 degrees. Had to go 10.5 to get launch up to optimal numbers (12-15) consistently.

>

> Only had it on a monitor one time. Over 15-20 shots the averages were around 12-13 degree launch angle, 2000 RPM spin, 168mph ball speed. I have always been a high launch, high spin guy. Probably why I love this driver so much.

Those numbers scream "cannon"...the way this head wants to go straight, I can see why you love the driver...

M5 10.5

EvenFlow White shaft, stiff flex

1* up, first weight all the way to front, second 3/4 or so to the back.

SS 105-110

Haven't been on a monitor so I don't know where my ball speed and spin numbers are. Distance is adequate; I don't think I'm necessarily bombing the ball with this club or setup, but that could be me dealing with a back that's getting more cranky by the day as well. But I do feel like my accuracy off the tee is better than it has been in years, to the point that I'm not as concerned with the distance or perhaps lack there of. Perhaps this offseason I'll get it on a monitor and check on things, but I can live with the distance due to the increased control and forgiveness. I really have to put a bad swing on this thing to get poor results.

> @getitdaily said:

> > @JJK947 said:

> > ^Slightly muted feel and lower spin than the '16 M1 for me. Both are great heads but I'd take the M2 from that era for a little more forgivness and not lose anything.

> >

> > Mine is 460 head 9*

> > Tensei Pro Orange 60 TX

> > SS is currently 110

> > 1 click towards lower and factory weight setting

> >

> > This setup is a mid flight, low spin fade machine for me. My draw swing is dead straight and my normal driver swing produces a 5 yard fade. I may play with settings next year to allow for getting a draw more easily. But I drove the ball great this year knowing that it is not possible for me to hook this club. Worst case is straight pull that doesn't cut back.

>

> What are your avg launch and spin numbers?

When I'm hitting a mid-flight fade that I go for most of the time, it's in the 11-12 launch and 2200-2500 spin range. So not ideal on a launch monitor but it gets me the best real world results on a consistent basis. If I need more I can change tee height and ball position to get into the 13/2000 range.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

> @Brizam said:

> M5 9 turned down 1*

> Tensei Pro orange 70tx

> Both weights forward.

> SS 100-105

With your swing speed, is that an optimal setup? Do you hit a good number of knuckle balls? Or is your AoA about 9 degrees up?

What are your launch and spin numbers?

Based on what I saw from testing that head and seeing that you're playing a TX flex shaft, gotta believe you're hitting a good number of drives that are in the 1700 spin range.

> @getitdaily said:

> > @Brizam said:

> > M5 9 turned down 1*

> > Tensei Pro orange 70tx

> > Both weights forward.

> > SS 100-105

>

> With your swing speed, is that an optimal setup? Do you hit a good number of knuckle balls? Or is your AoA about 9 degrees up?

>

> What are your launch and spin numbers?

>

> Based on what I saw from testing that head and seeing that you're playing a TX flex shaft, gotta believe you're hitting a good number of drives that are in the 1700 spin range.

I hit up about 6-7, I don't find that I get many knuckle balls. I don't have the speed for the X its more about controlling launch and spin. There are swing flaws in play that I don't have the time to fix. Just using what gets me the best number on the scorecard at the end of the round. I tend to prefer the feel of stiffer flex shafts. I have tried going down to an Stiff in the driver and my dispersion suffers to much to warrant chasing 5yds of gained distance.

M5 9* turned up to 10.5

Tensei Pro Blue 70TX

Both weights back

SS 118-125

I have a slightly negative AoA, hence the setup. But, best feeling driver I've had and great ball flight. As long as this one doesnt crack (RIP M2), it'll be in the bag a while.

Titleist TSi3 10* - MCA D+ LTD 70TX

Taylormade Sim 15* - MRC Kai'li Blue 70TX

Cobra SpeedZone "4" - 18* - MCA OT 110

Callaway Apex MB (8-PW) XForged (4-7) - MCA MMT 105TX

Vokey Wedges - 52/56 - DG AMT S300

EVNROLL Midlock ER2V

I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

> @hurley999s said:

> I picked up a M5 9.0 used head and it may be a dud...

>

> Put one weight in draw setting, other neutral in the back, and lead tape to get to 202-204g to match my M4 weight.

>

> First time using it last week, I panned on gaming it in a casual round, but warming up on the range was nothing but knuckleballs. Sounded weird (very muted) and felt weird. Not a single shot had a decent ball flight.

>

> Immediately scrambled back to the trunk to pop the M4 head back in to play because I thought it must have been cracked somewhere.

>

> Took some time to examine the M5 post-round and I wasn’t able to find anything visually. But I haven’t been to the range or out to play since, so to be continued...really curious how this plays out

I had a similar experience. Got fitted in August, M5 9°, Hazrdus Smoke shaft. Hit the ball well, finding a lot of fairways. Well the top of the head developed a crack. Took it back to Edwin Watts and they swapped out a new head, no problem. Played 2 rounds with it and it was nothing but knuckle balls. All of a sudden I couldn't hit this thing. Last swing the ball rolled out to about 210 down the middle. I looked at the club face and the ball mark was dead center. I can't understand how I hit the sweet spot, the ball was in the center of the fairway and only went 210. I'm a low teens handicap and typically carry my driver around 260.

At this point, I lost faith in the M5 between the one I hit well cracking on top and the replacement being a dud (at least for me). Edwin Watts has the 90 day play guarantee and I happened to have about 2 weeks remaining on it so I went back and went it a totally different direction. Back to hitting 280ish with rollout.

I'm not sure what happened in my experience with the Taylormade. It seems a lot of people love their M5 but I can't say I'm one of them. Also, kudos to Edwin Watts. They took care of me and their customer service was great.