MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

I got another few rounds in and spent 45 minutes on the putting green after playing today. Our greens are still slower than normal. We got some heavy rain the past few days.

I haven't seen much of difference, putting wise vs. what I normally do. I've been making putts I expect to and when I miss, not much more than tap ins. Lag putting has been exceptional but balls that usually get quick at the hole have been stopping. I think this may have more to do with the speed of the greens right now. I expect the greens to be much faster over the weekend, so we'll see how it goes. I do putt better when they're fast.

Short putts aren't something I tend to struggle with but they do seem a bit less stressful with the 2.1. It's really easy to align and it's been automatic so far.

My hc is 1.7. I'm not the best iron player and I count on making short to mid range putts to save pars. I'll use anything that will make that part (or any part) of my game better. But to use a putter of this size, the results would need to be consistently better. The more I use it, the less I notice it. But it is a big change for me. As I mentioned above, I chose to test the blad.1 (coming soon) and did so to get the tech with a better look for me.

But results are all that really matter in the end and so far, the 2.1 is performing well.

I would highly recommend the 2.1 to anyone that struggles with putting. A few playing partners have tried it and although it's not built to their specs, they had great results. I was putting two balls at the same time on the practice green, just to feel the difference on heel and toe hits. Several times both went in the hole. It comes off the heel faster.

jc7r131h8s4n.jpg

0sbnopw5kkkm.jpg

2nm00zy87zbp.jpg

ofgay0zh5pgc.jpg

The shipping, build, and head cover, which is one of the best I've seen, are all impressive.

Edit to add one other thought......I've read/heard players needed to make adjustemnts to use these putters. I haven't. Other than the grip shape thing, I've changed nothing about my set up or stroke.

• Like 1

Mine arrived this Tuesday which was perfect timing for a Thursday road trip from Seattle to Scottsdale. I was able hit a practice green the night it came in, but not the best test as the practice green had been punched. I was still able to get a feel for the Putter which I felt very comfortable with right away after my quick trial session. I will be playing today and tomorrow @ Desert Highland and a couple more rounds before I fly back home. This should be just what the doctor ordered to help me share my thoughts on this Putter that I have been dying to bag.

nddfwwzmxk87.jpeg

First and foremost a big thank you to L.A.B Golf and WRX for the opportunity to try out a soon to be cult classic putter!

A little about my game. I’m a 5 handicap with putting being a so-so part of my game. When I am hot, I am hot, and when I'm not I can struggle. I have only ever played a blade style putter, as I much prefer the look and feel, but I must say I was always curious about trying the Directed Force putter, as I have heard nothing but good things. I was very excited when I received the email from WRX telling me I was one of the "lucky ones".

I got a call from Sam Hohn from L.A.B and we talked about my putting strengths and weaknesses. He also provided some great tips for using the putter. The next step was for me to create a short video of my putting stroke for the remote fitting. I was curious as to what the results would yield just from someone looking at a video of my stroke. I was fitted for a 34” 69 degree loft 2.1 mallet with the Press 2.M grip.z1cux83ddk8s.jpg

lzxuxrkh4f55.jpg

cjrhidppfey7.jpg

vb7yd5cfksqo.jpg

On to my review. I have now played 18 holes with the new putter, and I must say that I am very impressed with how easy it is to hole 6 ft-and-in putts with this thing. It almost feels like I am cheating with how automatic I was today. The only couple of "faults" I can find with it so far is lag putting, and the feel of the putter off of the face. I believe the lag putting will get better as I get used to the feel off of the face, but it is a very different feel than I am used too. I am used to a more springy feel from my forged custom Xenon, and the 2.1 mallet is a very muted, very dead feeling off the face. I almost want to call it hollow feeling.

With all of this said, I cannot argue with the success I have had with it so far, even holing a 34 ft putt today for birdie. Long story short, no matter what the putter looks like and feels like, if it works it works, and it will stay in my bag. Thanks again for the opportunity. I will be playing another 18 tomorrow, so if I notice anything different I will post. I must say I have enjoyed the putter so far, and I look forward to getting some more use with it. Happy birdie hunting.

I played another round today. The greens were much faster. Lag putting was great. I left myself with easy tap ins on all of them except a really fast 35'er on 18. Ran it by about 10' but made the come back.

I made all my 6' or less putts. Besides the one on 18, I didn't make any other mid range putts. I was all over the hole all day but couldn't get any to drop. Distance control was perfect but I expect to make a few of those.

Overall I'd say I'm still seeing about the same results I normally do. Some days putts don't drop. Distance control has been very good, even with the green speed changes. I feel like I've been missing my mid range putts on the high side mostly. But I'm hitting my lines consistently.

> @scottaz said:

> I played another round today. The greens were much faster. Lag putting was great. I left myself with easy tap ins on all of them except a really fast 35'er on 18. Ran it by about 10' but made the come back.

>

> I made all my 6' or less putts. Besides the one on 18, I didn't make any other mid range putts. I was all over the hole all day but couldn't get any to drop. Distance control was perfect but I expect to make a few of those.

>

> Overall I'd say I'm still seeing about the same results I normally do. Some days putts don't drop. Distance control has been very good, even with the green speed changes. I feel like I've been missing my mid range putts on the high side mostly. But I'm hitting my lines consistently.

>

>

@scottaz It sounds like we have a similar game, similar handicap, my irons are my weakness, putting has been a strength of mine. I agree with a lot of what you said. I don't think it makes a big difference when I am putting well, however I do think it makes me more consistent. I think I hit my line more often especially, on the bad days, I think the short putts with this putter are almost automatic. I also think the 2.1 puts a better roll on the ball because of the lie angle balancing, on a flat surface I have a tendency to "hook" my putts with this putter I don't. You're probably missing high because the ball is rolling better / truer. Next time out maybe try slightly less break and see what happens, I remember Sam telling me on short putts to hit not play as much break because of how well this putter rolls the ball.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

> @scottaz It sounds like we have a similar game, similar handicap, my irons are my weakness, putting has been a strength of mine. I agree with a lot of what you said. I don't think it makes a big difference when I am putting well, however I do think it makes me more consistent. I think I hit my line more often especially, on the bad days, I think the short putts with this putter are almost automatic. I also think the 2.1 puts a better roll on the ball because of the lie angle balancing, on a flat surface I have a tendency to "hook" my putts with this putter I don't. You're probably missing high because the ball is rolling better / truer. Next time out maybe try slightly less break and see what happens, I remember Sam telling me on short putts to hit not play as much break because of how well this putter rolls the ball.

>

I had the same thought after my last round. The ball seems to hold the line a little better. And I agree, I'm likely using my hands less to guide putts.

I took a little break out when the greens were slower and had better results with mid range putts but expected more movement when they were faster this weekend. It's something I have to trust more.

With lag putts, I focus more on distance control and less on break and It's probably why those results have been so solid. I'm pretty aggressive with short putts and already take some out.

I took the putter out for another 18 yesterday, and I putted better than I have putted all year. I made a 42ft eagle putt and had three birdie putts that dropped from 12-15ft. I ended up shooting my low round of the year with a 73 on a track where I normally shoot around 79-80. I am still getting used to the feel off the face, but I cannot argue with the results. The ball rolls where I want it too. Thanks L.A.B Golf!

• Like 2

> @scottaz said:

> > @scottaz It sounds like we have a similar game, similar handicap, my irons are my weakness, putting has been a strength of mine. I agree with a lot of what you said. I don't think it makes a big difference when I am putting well, however I do think it makes me more consistent. I think I hit my line more often especially, on the bad days, I think the short putts with this putter are almost automatic. I also think the 2.1 puts a better roll on the ball because of the lie angle balancing, on a flat surface I have a tendency to "hook" my putts with this putter I don't. You're probably missing high because the ball is rolling better / truer. Next time out maybe try slightly less break and see what happens, I remember Sam telling me on short putts to hit not play as much break because of how well this putter rolls the ball.

> >

>

> I had the same thought after my last round. The ball seems to hold the line a little better. And I agree, I'm likely using my hands less to guide putts.

>

> I took a little break out when the greens were slower and had better results with mid range putts but expected more movement when they were faster this weekend. It's something I have to trust more.

>

> With lag putts, I focus more on distance control and less on break and It's probably why those results have been so solid. I'm pretty aggressive with short putts and already take some out.

>

>

>

>

I think the benefit for the better player is subtle. It might not mean a ton more putts made, but more consistency could mean 1 or 2 more putts made on the bad days and for low handicaps that makes a difference. I think for better players more consistency and more trust will lead to even better good days, it just takes time to see that.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

> @moorebaseball said:

> I took the putter out for another 18 yesterday, and I putted better than I have putted all year. I made a 42ft eagle putt and had three birdie putts that dropped from 12-15ft. I ended up shooting my low round of the year with a 73 on a track where I normally shoot around 79-80. I am still getting used to the feel off the face, but I cannot argue with the results. The ball rolls where I want it too. Thanks L.A.B Golf!

Putts dropping makes a huge difference in how a putter can feel!!

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

I am glad GolfWRX finally got on board with this thing. All I can say is I was a verified AWFUL putter my whole life - for real though. Can strike the ball with anyone, but never could putt. Cost me college tournaments, cost me money in mini-tour events. Four years ago I found the Directed Force putter and it changed my putting life. I am an engineer and the physics behind the putter just made sense to me. Not sure if it was a change in confidence, or the Lie Angle Balancing - but I no longer look at a 3-foot putt as evil.

For those of you testing the putter, and it sounds like there are great results (as I would expect) - I want you to keep one thing in mind... You have been putting with inferior technology your entire golf life, and have made adjustments in your stroke and grip to account for the issues inherent to those clubs. Go back to the basics.. just line it up and put a good shoulder turn on it. The club handles the rest... do NOT try and control the head - you no longer need to do that!!! That is going to be the hardest part, for my 40 years of golf prior to finding the directed force I had to control the head of the club to keep it square. It took me about 2 weeks to break those habits - but once broken this putter became the best weapon in my bag. I have said it over and over - I WILL die with this putter still in my bag!

For what it is worth - I have 3 SC's, and another 30 putters of all sorts in my closet - none of them will ever see a course again. Actually, I lie - my 9-year-old currently putts with one of my old Cameron's but once she is full sized she will have a Directed Force putter in her bag too!

Enjoy the putters - it should help each of you save strokes!

• Like 2

On course update:

Some horrible weather here in Upstate NY, the season has turned… but Saturday, temps reached 50 and I looked ahead to temps this week in the low 40s with rain/snow in the forecast I figured I needed to get out and play what might be my last round of the season.

Brrrr!

I spent about 30-45 minutes on the practice green getting the putter dialed in. From some extensive indoor putting, I knew I was contacting the putter square & the alignment aid was working because when I stroke the putt the line I use on the golf ball wasn’t wavering… so that was a good sign, and it carried over to the practice green. I had worked out that I put the ball a little forward in my stance to account for the forward press grip, and it seems to be comfortable after working on that setup indoors for a few days.

If I could get the speed and line down, I’d be all set ?

Speed control definitely seemed to be the biggest adjustment. I spoke to Sam and he mentioned that the lie angle balancing makes the putter seem lighter as we mistake torque for weight in the putting stroke. I found myself having to take a longer stroke (much longer in fact) even on 6-10 footers than I normally do. Sam recommended some one-handed putting to get a better feel for the distance I needed to swing the putter and that helped tremendously.

Off to the course, and I played well considering the conditions and new putter adjustments. I did leave a few putts short on the front 9, in fact I left 10-footer 3 feet short for birdie on one hole. I decided to add some one-handed putting practice strokes to my pre-shot routine to feel the putter head in the stroke. Aiming the putter was easy, and my ball tracked online, so… again, dialing in the speed is going to be my challenge here. I was excited about that, and even though I didn’t make anything on the front, the putter performed.

Back 9 was a different story: 4 good birdie looks in the first 4 holes… 1 was a kick in, but the other 3 solid 10-15 footers. I trusted the line and thought to myself hit it 3 feet by the hole. Each one center cut but even then, they died right at the lip… 2 fell into the hole, 1 hung on the edge. Gaaaa!!!

Lots of 2 putts the rest of the way in... but the putter performs. Had 30 or 40 feet on the final 2 holes for birdie, and each of those I put to within a foot. I really had to smash them (in my mind) but once I committed to it… the results were there.

What’s funny is when I ordered the putter, I was most concerned with the alignment aid, and wondering if I’d be able to line it up correctly. I didn’t think speed would be the issue. Funny how that works.

I’ll continue to work on the speed control, I have some speed drills for putting, and utilizing some one-handed putting too…and hopefully the weather allows for another round (or 2, or 3…) this season!

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

I must say that I've been quite the putter ho (haven't we all thanks to this site) in the last 5 or so years. My interest was piqued in the LAB 2.1 when it got some attention on a few Facebook groups I belonged to. I did some research and it seemed legit. Problem was my closest fitter was over an hour away from me. Well I finally made the trip out to get fit and spent a solid hour in there rolling the fitting putter quickly falling in love with the simplicity of my stroke. I placed my order with the shop owner and was on my way. It was about a day later and I had some worries about my fitting. I was fit into a 63.5 degree lie angle and I knew that was on the extreme flat side of everything. I reached out to Sam via their customer service email and he responded and had me do a remote fitting video to take a look at everything. After shooting a couple of videos Sam asked me to give him a call when I could (what CEO of any equipment company does that). In that call Sam said that my fitting was pretty accurate but he had me at about 65 degrees. He did say what sometimes happens with the fitting putter is that sometimes your hands will drop and give you a flatter lie than what you really fit into. Overall it was a great experience and I cannot wait to get my hands on the putter and roll it some on my mat. I'm excited to hear how some other people are getting along with their Directed Force putters.

Driver -  Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷 9 degree with GD UB 6S

3 Wood- Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S

5 Wood - Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
Hybrid - Cobra F9 22 degree Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
5 & 6 Irons - Srixon Z545
7 - PW - Srixon Z745
Wedges - Bridgestone J15 50* and 54* and Callaway PM grind 58* and 64*
Putter - LAB Golf mezz max broomstick, LAB Golf DF 2.1 armlock, LAB golf 2.1 standard length 

> @tdennie said:

> @labgolf I noticed that most of the putters the testers are using have the same "Adam Scott" alignment option. Any particular reason behind that alignment suggestion?

I know for me I have a tendency to aim slightly left, and I did tell Sam that when I talked with him. When I have putted on a chalk line, if the line on my putter was dead on the chalk line, the ball would start slightly right. When I would aim it at my target and disregarded the line the ball would travel along my line. I have also seen this tendency when I did a SAM putter fitting. I have done the chalk line drill with the Directed Force putter and I can align it to the line or my target and the ball travels along the line either way.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

> @tdennie said:

> @labgolf I noticed that most of the putters the testers are using have the same "Adam Scott" alignment option. Any particular reason behind that alignment suggestion?

That line we have noticed is incredibly neutral. This is not law by any stretch but left aimers tend to do better with lines that are perpendicular to the target or dots or no lines at all. Right aimers tend to like more targets lines. The #36 (adam scott mark) has something to look at for everyone. Regardless of the line, a lot of people feel they line our putter up well. We believe this is because A) the putter tries hard to start the ball where you aim it so self correction takes place pretty quick and B- because of the onset head, you can see the entire face unobstructed with the shaft or off-set. For those that aren't sure if they have a tendancy, or a slight left tendancy, #36 is great. Most of the time I have noticed that even though a dot or half ball would work better for the left aimers, they tend to be a bit more neurotic about alignment and really want something clear to rely on and like I said, 36, or any "T" for that matter, gives folks the best of both worlds. And again, this is just observation combined with a little of Dave Edels knowledge. Dave has done EXTENSIVE studies on aim. Where I split with him is that he believes that people are genetically predisposed to aim one way or another. I think people aim poorly because the putt poorly. Miss enough putts to the right and you will eventually start aiming left or vie versa. If you consistently start putts where you are pointed, your aim will correct itself in my opinion. Some times an extra set of eyes is required.

• Like 1

> @tdennie said:

We have found the #36 line to be the most neutral for folks who are unsure. Any "T" line is going to offer something for folks who aim on either side. Left aimers tend to notice the perpendicular line, right aimers the target line. In general, I believe people aim crappy because of the putts they've missed, not because of some genetic predisposition. Miss enough putts to the right and you will aim left and vice versa. If you start putts consistently where you are pointed, you aim will fix itself. Another subtle benefit of the DF is that the onset head allows you to see the entire face unobstructed by a shaft or offset. I think this is why folks have an easy time line it up. Not everyone lines it up easy but most seem to.

> @labgolf said:

> > @tdennie said:

> > @labgolf I noticed that most of the putters the testers are using have the same "Adam Scott" alignment option. Any particular reason behind that alignment suggestion?

>

> We have found the #36 line to be the most neutral for folks who are unsure. Any "T" line is going to offer something for folks who aim on either side. Left aimers tend to notice the perpendicular line, right aimers the target line. In general, I believe people aim crappy because of the putts they've missed, not because of some genetic predisposition. Miss enough putts to the right and you will aim left and vice versa. If you start putts consistently where you are pointed, you aim will fix itself. Another subtle benefit of the DF is that the onset head allows you to see the entire face unobstructed by a shaft or offset. I think this is why folks have an easy time line it up. Not everyone lines it up easy but most seem to.

Ok. I was mainly wondering because I was unsure of what option to pick when I placed my order for a 2.1 a few weeks ago. I ended up going with the straight line which I think will work just fine but I was wondering. Thanks for the insight!

> @labgolf said:

> > @tdennie said:

> > @labgolf I noticed that most of the putters the testers are using have the same "Adam Scott" alignment option. Any particular reason behind that alignment suggestion?

>

> We have found the #36 line to be the most neutral for folks who are unsure. Any "T" line is going to offer something for folks who aim on either side. Left aimers tend to notice the perpendicular line, right aimers the target line. In general, I believe people aim crappy because of the putts they've missed, not because of some genetic predisposition. Miss enough putts to the right and you will aim left and vice versa. If you start putts consistently where you are pointed, you aim will fix itself. Another subtle benefit of the DF is that the onset head allows you to see the entire face unobstructed by a shaft or offset. I think this is why folks have an easy time line it up. Not everyone lines it up easy but most seem to.

Looking at this new alignment, I am glad I stuck with the original one. It makes toe and heel side putting easier, square with the line. This new #36 alignment would make those putting setup tougher, just an observation

Also, whats with all the graphics on the new Presse grips? It use to be so stealth looking right down the putter from the end of the grip to the head so all your focus was the aim. Now there's a line and your logo on the grip, imo an unnecessary distraction.

Other than that, still luvin my putter after 2 years & especially after the new "upgrade". Great stuff Sam, say "hi" to Bill for me :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

> @SwingBlues said:

> > @labgolf said:

> > > @tdennie said:

> > > @labgolf I noticed that most of the putters the testers are using have the same "Adam Scott" alignment option. Any particular reason behind that alignment suggestion?

> >

> > We have found the #36 line to be the most neutral for folks who are unsure. Any "T" line is going to offer something for folks who aim on either side. Left aimers tend to notice the perpendicular line, right aimers the target line. In general, I believe people aim crappy because of the putts they've missed, not because of some genetic predisposition. Miss enough putts to the right and you will aim left and vice versa. If you start putts consistently where you are pointed, you aim will fix itself. Another subtle benefit of the DF is that the onset head allows you to see the entire face unobstructed by a shaft or offset. I think this is why folks have an easy time line it up. Not everyone lines it up easy but most seem to.

>

> Looking at this new alignment, I am glad I stuck with the original one. It makes toe and heel side putting easier, square with the line. This new #36 alignment would make those putting setup tougher, just an observation

>

> Also, whats with all the graphics on the new Presse grips? It use to be so stealth looking right down the putter from the end of the grip to the head so all your focus was the aim. Now there's a line and your logo on the grip, imo an unnecessary distraction.

>

> Other than that, still luvin my putter after 2 years & especially after the new "upgrade". Great stuff Sam, say "hi" to Bill for me :)

Thanks for the feedback on the grips. We did it so that people could more easily notice there is something going on with the grip. The line also helps with consistent alignment and set up. People find if they match the grip line with the face line, the are set up optimally. 2.M is our most popular grip by far. That said, I still prefer the OG ;-) As for all the logo stuff, as we begin to see more and more on TV, the logo has been hugely helpful for marketing and brand awareness. Glad you still like yours!

• Like 1

I took more of an aggressive line during this mornings round with those mid range putts. Our greens were slippery and I expected a few to miss on the low side but the ball just held. I ran a few past but not much left to clean up.

Lag putting continues to impress.

I was chipping from around the green more than I'd like and had a lot of 3-5' putts today. You really need to do something wrong to miss those.

Still not very comfortable with the OG grip and will try the 2m on it soon.

Are we ever going to see a "much" smaller version of this mallet? I have putted with this several times and it feels great but just WAY too big imo...

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

> @Wardonation said:

> Are we ever going to see a "much" smaller version of this mallet? I have putted with this several times and it feels great but just WAY too big imo...

We do have a blade model. It is perfectly lie angle balanced though doesn't have nearly the MOI or forgiveness. We are experimenting with other mallet shapes but no matter what we do so far, we can't seem to find a design that is smaller without giving up too much of the performance benefits of the DF 2.1. We are pretty close but nothing will see market for over a year. I know its huge but if you listen to most of our customers, a week later, you won't even notice the size. And then whats left is that you have a putter that stays square by itself that is completely consistent across the face.

FINALLY rolled one last night, albeit in RH while I am a lefty. I just wanted to see what it looked and felt like in person and I have to say, I'm really impressed. My question for @labgolf is how do you know what loft to put on each custom order? Traditionally I play about 3* loft in a blade, and 1 to 2* in a larger mallet like Spider Tour, etc. With a really big mallet like this, I would probably go with 0 loft, but then with the shaft being onset to the face AND the big forward press from the grip, I assume that would go back up by a lot. Since I can't come in for a fitting, and the True Spec/Club Champion near me don't carry these, I would have to buy based on the remote fitting process.

So how do you ensure each player is getting the correct loft for him/her?