Anybody medium-long hitters using a 7w?

MelloYello

In true golfwrx fashion, I built a 7 wood, think it's 40.5" TEE EX10 with a Rombax p95 stiff...

I've only played it once.

I find that I prefer 21 or 22 degree hybrids cut down to 39" with a heavier shaft 90-100 g.

Shorter shaft easier to hit for me than longer fairway shaft, and I find that from the rough, I like the hybrid better.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

If I swapped my shafts around I would probably do the following:

18-degree M6 head on a 70g shaft playing about 42.5"

21-degree M6 head on an 80g shaft playing about 41.5"

To me, that looks like a 4w with an extra degree of loft (always good) paired with high-launch alternative kept under control with a fairly heavy shaft.

I would still have my 15-deg 3w head but given that I rarely use it, I would probably just throw my 60g Atmos back in and use it sparingly (if at all).

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I play 4 wood and 7 wood. Found a ts2 7w with a D+ 70x shaft on ebay for $160. It's a 220 - 235 yard club for me. Couldn't pass it up, and am not sure I'll ever go back. Hybrids go left for me so this thing has been a game changer. 110 mph driver swing and I am a low ball hitter. I swap in a driving iron on high windy days.

f6 baffler is another option I have used in this spot in the bag. Falls somewhere between a hybrid and FW

G430 Max 9* - Ventus Blue 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

T20 50*

Jaws Raw 54 & 59*
Versa 7
Tour B X

I'm a low ball hitter and play a Callaway XR 5 wood and 7 wood (no 3 or 4 wood). XR 5 wood is a beast so it goes plenty far. Liked it so much I hunted down a 7 wood (as a prior poster said, sometimes finding a Stiff shafted 7 wood can be tricky unless you custom order). I've hit a lot of good shots with the 7, but I'm currently experimenting with a 2 hybrid to see if I can get a little more control.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

> @wilymo said:

> I’m not as long as you but I love my 7 wood. Never been able to hit a hybrid consistently for whatever reason. I’m not a high ball hitter so it makes holding greens with a long iron in my hand next to impossible. The 7 wood has been irreplaceable for me. **It also shines for me out of fairway bunkers**.

I think this is something that gets overlooked with 7-woods (and 9-woods). With that loft, and that wide sole, they're actually a great fairway bunker option.

If I'm in a shallow-ish fairway bunker on a par 5 and want to advance the ball forward, the 7w is the obvious option. It's going to get the ball out even with a poor strike, and a good strike is going to go further than any iron I could have used.

I'm shorter than you. I hit the 7 wood about 200. I carry it for a couple reasons:

1. I have two par 3 holes where it often is the proper tee club and I'd prefer at that length to hit a fairway wood off the tee.

2. I consider it safer to launch than my 4 wood and if I have a carry over water on a par 5 that seems way safer than the 4 wood, given 20 yards difference.

If I didn't use it on the par 3 holes I'd probably not carry it.

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > A 4w / 7w combination would likely be better. You have a 45+ yd gap between your driver and 5w.

>

> Well, I don't think I want to totally get rid of both my 3w and 5w. My thought was maybe I'd get rid of the 3w (head) to fund the 7w and swap the shafts around a little to have a 18* option to hit tee shots and and a 21* option which would be a 2i/3i replacement.

>

> My thing is, besides going all out with a driver, I just don't seem to ever actually need anything stronger than a 5w during rounds of golf. And TBH, the 45-yd gap is pretty easy to fill. I can always shorten the driver shots by hitting a spinny cut that lands at about 250. That's always in the arsenal for me. And if I ever really feel like going for a green from 250 out (which I would never do unless it was clear and open) I can simply hit driver off the deck. I tried that a few times recently and while it doesn't get much height it's a speedy, low bullet that goes straighter than any 3w I'm going to hit.

>

> So I'm kind of at that point where any given shot I might hit with a 3w can be accomplished with something else I already have (and use a lot more).

>

>

I would not worry about a yardage gap between D and 5w.....it's mostly irrelevant as you have pointed out....unless for some reason that 245+ yard shot keeps coming up (ie into a long par 4 or a long par 3 or going for it in two on a par 5). Most people are going to have a longer than average gap between D and there next lowest lofted club anyways given clublengths, swing speed difference, and D used off a tee exclusively (mostly in your case)!

MelloYello I've used a 7 wood a lot over the years as a "medium-long" hitter and recommend it.

But my approach was a little different than what I see you are thinking. You love your 5w as your fairway finder. For me, a 7 wood is a great fairway finder. It's a club that I'd love to pull. Lots of confidence (tee or fairway).

Here's one of the things we have to get out of the way- there's a chance that we all have a club or two that doesn't get much use. It's just reality. It's just not possible/probable to use every club an equal 1/14th of the time. For me, my 3 wood is a club I don't use much. But it serves a valuable purpose- it's my go for the par 5 in 2 club when I need maximum distance off the fairway. So I use it maybe 2-4 times per round. I don't like it off the tee. If I needed to find a fairway, the 225 yard 7 wood was what I pulled. The 3 wood just did not offer enough of an accuracy improvement for me over the driver to make me want to pull it. But within reason (say hazards), I'm a believer that on a lot of par 5's you are better off getting as close as possible than laying up to some specific full swing yardage (and I think this has been more or less proven true by strokes gained). If I have 265 for my 2nd shot on a par 5, again provided there isn't massive trouble right where I'm likely to end up, I'd rather smash the 3 wood (even if I come up 15-20 yards short) then lay back to 80 yards for some full swing. I'll take my odds from 20-40 yards over 80 yards every time. So the 3 wood becomes a bit of a one trick pony but it does serve that valuable role.

For me:

Driver 280

3W at 16* 245-250

7W at 21* 225-230

I can echo the comments to not worry about driver to 5 wood yardage gap.

I play driver and then either 4 wood or 5 wood, or even 19 hybrid as my second longest club in the bag (all depends on the length of the holes that I will play).

My league course is short enough that I can carry 19 hybrid as my second longest club (very tight with only 2 long par 4's on the front 9, and one long par 4 on the back.

Other courses where I'll play 6200-6700, I'd carry 5 wood or 4 wood as my second longest club. (5 wood 220 yards and 4 wood 240 yards), rough guesses

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @RacineBoxer said:

> MelloYello I've used a 7 wood a lot over the years as a "medium-long" hitter and recommend it.

>

> But my approach was a little different than what I see you are thinking. You love your 5w as your fairway finder. For me, a 7 wood is a great fairway finder. It's a club that I'd love to pull. Lots of confidence (tee or fairway).

>

> Here's one of the things we have to get out of the way- there's a chance that we all have a club or two that doesn't get much use. It's just reality. It's just not possible/probable to use every club an equal 1/14th of the time. For me, my 3 wood is a club I don't use much. But it serves a valuable purpose- it's my go for the par 5 in 2 club when I need maximum distance off the fairway. So I use it maybe 2-4 times per round. I don't like it off the tee. If I needed to find a fairway, the 225 yard 7 wood was what I pulled. The 3 wood just did not offer enough of an accuracy improvement for me over the driver to make me want to pull it. But within reason (say hazards), I'm a believer that on a lot of par 5's you are better off getting as close as possible than laying up to some specific full swing yardage (and I think this has been more or less proven true by strokes gained). If I have 265 for my 2nd shot on a par 5, again provided there isn't massive trouble right where I'm likely to end up, I'd rather smash the 3 wood (even if I come up 15-20 yards short) then lay back to 80 yards for some full swing. I'll take my odds from 20-40 yards over 80 yards every time. So the 3 wood becomes a bit of a one trick pony but it does serve that valuable role.

>

> For me:

> Driver 280

> 3W at 16* 245-250

> 7W at 21* 225-230

>

I would be more excited about carrying a 3w/4w type club if I actually got to hit into Par-5's but where I play the Par-5's are uniquely-designed.

Par-5 #1

To get to the go zone you need to either hit an overly aggressive drive or simply draw a 3w around the corner. Once at your ball you find yourself with a noticeably slanted fairway with the ball above your feet. If you chose to attempt this shot you must do so knowing that there is a huge creek with lots of brush short of the green and any bail-out to the right will head straight into the trees. I usually do not go for this shot. Even with a 5w in hand, it's often a mistake waiting to happen due to the lie.

Par-5 #2

This only requires a fairway off the tee but it's a dramatic dog-leg right with a lot of vertical climb. If you don't hit it far enough off the tee you have to carve a slice around the corner and even your longest club is not getting there up the hill. If you do hit it far enough off the tee you have a very tight lie and it's fairly wide open. If you hit it too far off the tee you run through the fairway and down into the rough/swamp. This 2nd shot could certainly be hit with a 3w but it is so uphill even a good 3w will look like a low bullet, not to mention the green is very skinny with bunkers on either side. And the 3-tier green means you definitely don't want to EVER go past the pin. I'm not sure there's much value in hitting 3w into this even if you have the chance. You might as well hit 5w and pitch on from the front.

Par-5 #3

This is a joke. If you don't absolutely BOMB your drive with a big power-fade there's no hope. Plus, it's VERY, VERY hard to get a flat lie in the fairway. Even IF you risk hitting driver history shows that probably 7-of-10 of those will either get kicked into drainage area / rough from where you're dead or you'll simply find your ball on a huge downslope. This hole sucks. There have been a couple times I've been tempted to go for it after a big drive but the shot in is usually about 230-yds and not only does it have to clear a creek but it also needs to be carved in from left-to-right so it works around the trees that guard the green's right side. It's a real 3-shot hole unless you're feeling particularly risking. Usually if I have a reasonable score I play a fairway off the tee and try to get a reasonable look for birdie with a wedge 3rd.

Par-5 #4

This is a fairly straight-forward hole. If you hit a good drive you often have about 200-225 in so this could be a long iron, hybrid or fairway. But again, the challenge is that you cannot leak it right and really need to draw it in there. So if you happen to leave yourself what would be a 3w, you're often better left just laying up rather than risking it.

To be completely honest, I think the lack of more "get-able" Par-5's is a real drawback to this particular course. But I get to play there for next to nothing thanks to where I work so for now it's essentially my home course.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

sounds like horses for courses

TM TP5x

Mello - I get your point about the different par 5's. My home course has 2 that are gettable and 2 that have no chance (due to trouble). On the two with no chance I always hit an iron for shot #2 because the risk/reward is just too dangerous for my liking. Of the other two, on one if you hit a strong power fade, which is my go-to shot, you are usually 170-200, so an iron. On the last par 5, it's the example I gave where it seems no matter how good I hit it I still can't get there with driver-3 wood in two (played the hole probably 200 times and have never gotten there in two, the best I've done is 5-10 yards short). Frequently 30-60 short. When I travel to other courses though, which I try to do a fair bit, I do find I use the 3 wood a bit. But still... like the other point I was making... there's always something in the bag that doesn't get used much. Maybe it's a 3 or 4 iron. Maybe it's a certain wedge, etc...

Personally I felt like 5w and 7w were a bit close, distance gapping wise, for my liking. But obviously with a little tweaking (shaft length/loft) you should be able to get a nice 20 yard gap (20 yards is my preference for that end of the bag).

Lastly... some people just like fairway woods over hybrids. That's one of the reasons you see some guys on tour with the 7 wood. It fits their eye better (and they probably like the higher flight). I've historically been one of those guys. I had a yardage gap around 220-225, never really loved hybrids, couldn't hit an iron 225, then I found a cleveland launcher fairway wood that happened to go 225 and I didn't care that it said 7 on the bottom. I'm playing 3W-5W-4H (21*) right now. It's fine. It's essentially the same story. 3 Wood doesn't get used that much, 5W maybe goes 230 when pure'd... 4H goes 215. I'm using both 5W and 4H as a fairway finder, just depends on if I want the extra 15 yards or how I'm swinging that particular day.

> @RacineBoxer said:

> MelloYello I've used a 7 wood a lot over the years as a "medium-long" hitter and recommend it.

>

> But my approach was a little different than what I see you are thinking. You love your 5w as your fairway finder. For me, a 7 wood is a great fairway finder. It's a club that I'd love to pull. Lots of confidence (tee or fairway).

>

> Here's one of the things we have to get out of the way- there's a chance that we all have a club or two that doesn't get much use. It's just reality. It's just not possible/probable to use every club an equal 1/14th of the time. For me, my 3 wood is a club I don't use much. But it serves a valuable purpose- it's my go for the par 5 in 2 club when I need maximum distance off the fairway. So I use it maybe 2-4 times per round. I don't like it off the tee. If I needed to find a fairway, the 225 yard 7 wood was what I pulled. The 3 wood just did not offer enough of an accuracy improvement for me over the driver to make me want to pull it. But within reason (say hazards), I'm a believer that on a lot of par 5's you are better off getting as close as possible than laying up to some specific full swing yardage (and I think this has been more or less proven true by strokes gained). If I have 265 for my 2nd shot on a par 5, again provided there isn't massive trouble right where I'm likely to end up, I'd rather smash the 3 wood (even if I come up 15-20 yards short) then lay back to 80 yards for some full swing. I'll take my odds from 20-40 yards over 80 yards every time. So the 3 wood becomes a bit of a one trick pony but it does serve that valuable role.

>

> For me:

> Driver 280

> 3W at 16* 245-250

> 7W at 21* 225-230

>

>

>

Is that the top of your bag Driver, then 3W then 7W? I feel like if I could find the right shaft/head combo that would be the best setup for me too. I have about the same yardages as you and my 21* hybrid isnt doing it for the 225-230 range and I cant seem to hit a 19* hybrid to save my life.

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

> @Argonne69 said:

> So true. Good luck finding a used 7w with a stiff shaft. Most have high launching senior shafts in them.

No doubt. The one I found was actually an old, beat up ladies 7w. Thought I'd try it just as an experiment.

Stuck a steel shaft in it. Now I can't get rid of it. Had to paint over the purple lines just to protect my masculinity.

jus chillin

Earlier this year I was playing G400 LST 10 degree Driver, G400 3W and G400 3H (19 degree), then 4-P irons.

The worked well and the gaps were about right, but I struggled with the hybrid out of less than perfect lies, sand, rough, etc. So I swapped it out for a G400 7W (20 degree, I think) and that thing is unbelievable - it goes high and straight from anywhere - including coming out high and soft from heavy rough and producing some of the best fairway bunker shots I've ever hit (or seen, actually). Best club in my bag.

I just put a 7w in the bag. My yardages are driver 270-280, 4w 240-250, and 7w 220-230, 4 iron 205.

I had some of the same issues as others have mentioned, hybrids like to go left. I found a 917 21 degree with a diamana stiff shaft on the bay for $60 about a month ago. I’m still learning the club but so far it’s gaping just how I need it to. If I choke up about an inch I can hit the high 220 yard floaters or stay in the end of it and hit lower 230-235 flight.

I think it’s important to gap by actual distance rather than lofts. Technically my 4 iron and 7 wood are only a degree apart, but the shaft length makes a huge difference in distance.

I have a Steelhead Plus 7W with UST Laker shaft in stiff that I bought cheap on ebay to try. Ton of curve to face(bulge?) and a shocking propensity to hook 40yds on what feel like well struck shots. I like the height and launch-do more modern 7W have a flatter face? Currently bag 18&22 deg hybrids that fit gaps well but would like to have a bit higher launch.

Interesting topic, I fall into this category. I hit TS3 driver around 290, have a TS2 13.5 that I love off deck 265 and off tee, a TS2 18 that is great off tee and deck at 235. I which I could get a 23 degree. I do flatten all the lie angle to B1 which sit slightly flatter. I would love to try it with the shaft I love (just not sure if I want same weight in 7 wood as my other woods). I miss left with hybrids and driving irons don't fly high enough. I am looking to gap to replace my 3/4 iron. I would love a 205-215 club. I just worry if I went 21 degrees it would be too close to be ts2 18 degree 5 wood. I know you can loft up but it does close the face which I can't have.

2024 WITB: 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 (@ 9.5) Diamana ZF 60S

TM MINI DRIVER??

Callaway Apex UW 19 deg MMT 70 Stiff

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour Rescue #4 AV Limited Blue 75 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 48F, 56M, 60T (@61)

Odyssey Dual Force Putter

You guys might consider me a long hitter (just fitted last week for C-taper 130x in my irons) but I’ve been playing 7 wood for a really long time now. I have both a Sonartec Ss-07 and a TEE. The TEE now has a cracked face so I can’t play it but has the Fuji 95 x in it and I can hit either a big high straight shot or a lower draw with it depending on the situation. The Sonartec by a few people’s observation might be open about 4* and it mostly hits a medium high draw or the same but straight. It has an Aerotech 85g X shaft tipped for a 7 wood.

For me it’s similar to my 3 iron but goes a bit higher and stops quicker. It’s awesome for par 3s that are around 250 to the middle.

It’s also my go to club where I need to draw the ball and not blow through a dogleg left.

BTW, if anyone has a TEE 7w in almost any form (head only, broken shaft, NEW???), please PM me.

Hope that was helpful.

• 1 month later...

I went 4/7 combo. I’m not a long hitter. But fits me on the shorter courses near me (6800 yards). Also I hit my 4wood perfect off the deck. Horrible off the tee

im going 3/5 for 2nd set. Just want to try something new.

Sim2 Max (9 Deg) w Hzrdous Smoke RDX 6.0 70g
-----------------------------
Sim2 Max 3 wood | Hzrdous Blue RDX 6.0
Sim2 Max 5 wood | Ventus Blue  

Titliest T 200 4 iron AMT Black S300
Titliest T150 5-PW AMT Black S300
TM P790 4-PW Modus 120s
TM MG2 54/58 wedges - Modus 130
SC Newport 2 / SC Phantom X 9.5

I’ve been using a 915 7w for 4 months now and am enjoying it a lot. It gets swapped in and out with a driving iron depending on how I’m feeling that day but lately it’s been a mainstay. I’ve found it a little more workable for me and it’s great for dogleg par 4’s where 3w or driver could go through

TSR3 9 | VentusTR Blue 7x

Paradym 3W | S 83tx

Covert 5W | S 103 x

716 MB 4-P | PX 6.5

MG3 52 | S400

MG4 56 | S400

SM8 60 |S400

Phantom 5.5 

Z-star XV

Medium hitter, 100 mph average driver swing speed, 103 max. My stock shot is a fairly low draw. So the 7W is magic for me. I would not recommend it for high ball hitters.

I'm completely content with the top of my bag at 4W-7W-4H ... no desire to tinker with that.

TSi2 | D, 4W, 4H | TENSEI AV RAW White

ZX5 | 5I | MMT 

ZX7 | 6I-PW | MMT

SM8 | 52.12F, 58.12D | MMT

Newport 2

WITB

Seems to be a popular topic: Anyone out there using a 7-wood?

I have a 917 F2 that is one of my favorite clubs. It's not in my signature because I swap my 917 F2 4w and 7w for utility irons depending on the situation. But hitting 7w from the fairway into greens is the ultimate. Can stop on a dime.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5