Leaves in the fall. Do you declare a lost ball or take a free drop?

Scenario,

You are playing in the fall and there are tons of leaves on the ground, especially in the rough. You hit a ball into the rough , and when you are walking up you cannot see your ball or find it.

You and your playing partners have determined that the ball is in play and the only reason you can't find it is because of the leaves.

Do you play it as a lost ball, or do you take a free drop?

This is for a non tournament round.

Tournament or not, consider Having your course or competition committee adopt this local rule:

Model Local Rule F-14

“During play of the [specify hole number], any ground with temporary accumulations of [identify types of loose impediments] in the general area or in a bunker is treated as ground under repair from which free relief is allowed under Rule 16.1.

Penalty for Playing Ball from a Wrong Place in Breach of Local Rule: General Penalty Under Rule 14.7a.”

• Like 2

You already asked this in another thread (claiming you had to go back to the tee, which isn't necessarily correct), then jumped over here to start a thread about it? Seems overkill on nothing.

In the other you said you'd bet everyone here would simply take a free drop (with the assumption that would violate the rules).

You would lose a bundle.

I play as lost ball.

I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> I play as lost ball.

>

> I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground that even yourself can't see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round. Thats only fair in my opinion. No reason to penalize someone for hitting a ball in play.

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > I play as lost ball.

> >

> > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

>

> So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground you can't even see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

100 %. If we are playing for a dollar yes. Poops and giggles , I don’t care what you do. I’m only concerned with my score then. But I’m not giving myself shots there if it’s my ball. I’ll go back.

You don’t understand the level some will go to cheat. Where is the line drawn ? Edge of the woods? Edge of a hazard ? The guys I’m talking about will use every inch you give them. Plus a foot. You’d basically be giving them a free drop for EVERY lost ball. Well hell. Give me that and I’ll swing away every tee.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > I play as lost ball.

> > >

> > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> >

> > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground you can't even see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

>

> 100 %. If we are playing for a dollar yes. Poops and giggles , I don’t care what you do. I’m only concerned with my score then. But I’m not giving myself shots there if it’s my ball. I’ll go back.

>

> You don’t understand the level some will go to cheat. Where is the line drawn ? Edge of the woods? Edge of a hazard ? The guys I’m talking about will use every inch you give them. Plus a foot. You’d basically be giving them a free drop for EVERY lost ball. Well ****. Give me that and I’ll swing away every tee.

The thing is they are not lying. You saw where the ball landed and it was clear as day if there were not leaves or the ground wasn't wet that the ball would be in play and found in that general area.

We know what we saw, we don't have to think that someone is lying to improve their score. Even if I am playing for money and I believe that the only reason their ball is lost is because of the wet conditions or millions of leaves on the ground, I'm telling them to take a free drop because I can't take their money knowing that their ball was in play and they had to take a penalty because of it. Honesty goes both ways.

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > I play as lost ball.

> >

> > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

>

> So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground that even yourself can't see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round. Thats only fair in my opinion. No reason to penalize someone for hitting a ball in play.

Do they HAVE to "re-tee"?

Another stirring up a rules question when you don't know the actual rules that may be in play.

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > I play as lost ball.

> > > >

> > > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> > >

> > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground you can't even see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

> >

> > 100 %. If we are playing for a dollar yes. Poops and giggles , I don’t care what you do. I’m only concerned with my score then. But I’m not giving myself shots there if it’s my ball. I’ll go back.

> >

> > You don’t understand the level some will go to cheat. Where is the line drawn ? Edge of the woods? Edge of a hazard ? The guys I’m talking about will use every inch you give them. Plus a foot. You’d basically be giving them a free drop for EVERY lost ball. Well ****. Give me that and I’ll swing away every tee.

>

> The thing is they are not lying. You saw where the ball landed and it was clear as day if there were not leaves or the ground wasn't wet that the ball would be in play and that general area.

>

> We know what we saw, we don't have to think that someone is lying to improve their score.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > I play as lost ball.

> > >

> > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> >

> > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground that even yourself can't see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round. Thats only fair in my opinion. No reason to penalize someone for hitting a ball in play.

>

> Do they HAVE to "re-tee"?

>

>

Yes if you declare it a lost ball they have to.

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > I play as lost ball.

> > > > >

> > > > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> > > >

> > > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground you can't even see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

> > >

> > > 100 %. If we are playing for a dollar yes. Poops and giggles , I don’t care what you do. I’m only concerned with my score then. But I’m not giving myself shots there if it’s my ball. I’ll go back.

> > >

> > > You don’t understand the level some will go to cheat. Where is the line drawn ? Edge of the woods? Edge of a hazard ? The guys I’m talking about will use every inch you give them. Plus a foot. You’d basically be giving them a free drop for EVERY lost ball. Well ****. Give me that and I’ll swing away every tee.

> >

> > The thing is they are not lying. You saw where the ball landed and it was clear as day if there were not leaves or the ground wasn't wet that the ball would be in play and that general area.

> >

> > We know what we saw, we don't have to think that someone is lying to improve their score.

>

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > >

> > > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> > >

> > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground that even yourself can't see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round. Thats only fair in my opinion. No reason to penalize someone for hitting a ball in play.

> >

> > Do they HAVE to "re-tee"?

> >

> >

>

> Yes if you declare it a lost ball they have to.

Nope, not necessarily.

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > >

> > > > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> > > >

> > > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground you can't even see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

> > >

> > > 100 %. If we are playing for a dollar yes. Poops and giggles , I don’t care what you do. I’m only concerned with my score then. But I’m not giving myself shots there if it’s my ball. I’ll go back.

> > >

> > > You don’t understand the level some will go to cheat. Where is the line drawn ? Edge of the woods? Edge of a hazard ? The guys I’m talking about will use every inch you give them. Plus a foot. You’d basically be giving them a free drop for EVERY lost ball. Well ****. Give me that and I’ll swing away every tee.

> >

> > The thing is they are not lying. You saw where the ball landed and it was clear as day if there were not leaves or the ground wasn't wet that the ball would be in play and that general area.

> >

> > We know what we saw, we don't have to think that someone is lying to improve their score.

>

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > >

> > >

> > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground that even yourself can't see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round. Thats only fair in my opinion. No reason to penalize someone for hitting a ball in play.

> >

> > Do they HAVE to "re-tee"?

> >

> >

>

> Yes if you declare it a lost ball they have to.

Dig around in the Rules and show us where it's permitted to declare a ball as lost.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

If the group (be it 1,2 or 3) other people can reasonably conclude that the ball isn't lost but only "missing" because of the leaves and under summer conditions would be definitely found, we will usually allow a free drop where we deem that the ball "should likely be" no closer to the hole.

This is typically reserved for balls in the fairway (In October / November on hilly courses with blind landing areas that happens) or balls a few paces off the fairway, only.

> @double_d said:

> If the group (be it 1,2 or 3) other people can reasonably conclude that the ball isn't lost but only "missing" because of the leaves and under summer conditions would be definitely found, we will usually allow a free drop where we deem that the ball "should likely be" no closer to the hole.

>

If it is virtually certain your ball came to rest in a pile of leaves, one that was perhaps raked by the grounds crew for removal, and you can’t find it, it can be played as ground under repair and free relief can be rewarded. This is thanks to Rule 16.1e, Relief for Ball Not Found but in or on Abnormal Course Condition.

6. But don’t forget about this important local rule, Model Local Rule F-14. We’ve touched on this one before, but here it is one more time — if loose impediments (in this case leaves) are accumulating on a course at a furious pace and it’s difficult for the maintenance crew to keep up, then a club could exercise this local rule. It says you can play these lost balls as ground under repair instead of stroke and distance. That entitles you to a free drop. Congrats!

> @"sui generis" said:

> > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > > > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > I play as lost ball.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> > > > >

> > > > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground you can't even see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

> > > >

> > > > 100 %. If we are playing for a dollar yes. Poops and giggles , I don’t care what you do. I’m only concerned with my score then. But I’m not giving myself shots there if it’s my ball. I’ll go back.

> > > >

> > > > You don’t understand the level some will go to cheat. Where is the line drawn ? Edge of the woods? Edge of a hazard ? The guys I’m talking about will use every inch you give them. Plus a foot. You’d basically be giving them a free drop for EVERY lost ball. Well ****. Give me that and I’ll swing away every tee.

> > >

> > > The thing is they are not lying. You saw where the ball landed and it was clear as day if there were not leaves or the ground wasn't wet that the ball would be in play and that general area.

> > >

> > > We know what we saw, we don't have to think that someone is lying to improve their score.

> >

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground that even yourself can't see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round. Thats only fair in my opinion. No reason to penalize someone for hitting a ball in play.

> > >

> > > Do they HAVE to "re-tee"?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Yes if you declare it a lost ball they have to.

>

> Dig around in the Rules and show us where it's permitted to declare a ball as lost.

A ball is deemed “lost” if:

a. It is not found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player’s side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it; or

b. The player has made a stroke at a provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place (see Rule 27-2b); or

c. The player has put another ball into play under penalty of stroke and distance under Rule 26-1a, 27-1 or 28a; or

d. The player has put another ball into play because it is known or virtually certain that the ball, which has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (see Rule 18-1), is in an obstruction (see Rule 24-3), is in an abnormal ground condition (see Rule 25-1c) or is in a water hazard (see Rule 26-1b or c); or

e. The player has made a stroke at a substituted ball.

As soon as the leaves start falling faster than the grounds crew can blow/sweep them up, most every group I play with allows for f-14. You can't blast it into the woods and make the claim, but this time of year balls 1 yard off the fairway can just disappear.

Even if we have a ten dollar bet or something, almost everyone will have watched the path the lost ball was on and agree with the free drop.

TSi4 Tensei White AV RAW X-Stiff/Hzrdus Gen 4 Black Stiff

Stealth 5 wood with Ventus

Titleist TS2 7 wood with Ventus

Mizuno MP-64 KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 60 X

Mizuno T24 56 V

Mizuno T24 50 F

Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch

> @Moo said:

> As soon as the leaves start falling faster than the grounds crew can blow/sweep them up, most every group I play with allows for f-14. You can't blast it into the woods and make the claim, but this time of year balls 1 yard off the fairway can just disappear.

>

> Even if we have a ten dollar bet or something, almost everyone will have watched the path the lost ball was on and agree with the free drop.

Thank you Moo. That is exactly my point.

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > >

> > >

> > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground you can't even see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

> >

> > 100 %. If we are playing for a dollar yes. Poops and giggles , I don’t care what you do. I’m only concerned with my score then. But I’m not giving myself shots there if it’s my ball. I’ll go back.

> >

> > You don’t understand the level some will go to cheat. Where is the line drawn ? Edge of the woods? Edge of a hazard ? The guys I’m talking about will use every inch you give them. Plus a foot. You’d basically be giving them a free drop for EVERY lost ball. Well ****. Give me that and I’ll swing away every tee.

>

> The thing is they are not lying. You saw where the ball landed and it was clear as day if there were not leaves or the ground wasn't wet that the ball would be in play and found in that general area.

>

> We know what we saw, we don't have to think that someone is lying to improve their score. Even if I am playing for money and I believe that the only reason their ball is lost is because of the wet conditions or millions of leaves on the ground, I'm telling them to take a free drop because I can't take their money knowing that their ball was in play and they had to take a penalty because of it. Honesty goes both ways.

Again. Where do you draw the line ? Tree line ? Hazard line etc. “ in play “ is a very relative thing. For just OB vs not OB yes. But these guys are never going to drop in a grove of trees etc. they are going to swear it was “ just in the rough “ while we all saw it fly into the tree line.

Maybe the disconnect is the trees. We have a lot of pines and old growth hardwood here. Where a ball can easily be played sideways 40 yards into the trees but almost never a window to the green. These trees are 10 -15 yards off the fairway. Or closer. You have to know exactly where it ended up. And there’s no way to know that.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @"sui generis" said:

> > > > > > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > > I play as lost ball.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground you can't even see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

> > > > >

> > > > > 100 %. If we are playing for a dollar yes. Poops and giggles , I don’t care what you do. I’m only concerned with my score then. But I’m not giving myself shots there if it’s my ball. I’ll go back.

> > > > >

> > > > > You don’t understand the level some will go to cheat. Where is the line drawn ? Edge of the woods? Edge of a hazard ? The guys I’m talking about will use every inch you give them. Plus a foot. You’d basically be giving them a free drop for EVERY lost ball. Well ****. Give me that and I’ll swing away every tee.

> > > >

> > > > The thing is they are not lying. You saw where the ball landed and it was clear as day if there were not leaves or the ground wasn't wet that the ball would be in play and that general area.

> > > >

> > > > We know what we saw, we don't have to think that someone is lying to improve their score.

> > >

> > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > I play as lost ball.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I understand and agree with sawgrass above , except I know that it just gives my group of cheaters licensee to cheat. As in any lost ball is now “ close to some leaves “ and therefore GuR. It’s s slippery slope. I’d rather risk my own score than let them cheat.

> > > > >

> > > > > So let me get this straight, you are going to honestly tell your playing partner they have to go back and re-tee because he can't find his ball due to so many leaves on the ground that even yourself can't see the grass? WTF man you are brutal. I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round. Thats only fair in my opinion. No reason to penalize someone for hitting a ball in play.

> > > >

> > > > Do they HAVE to "re-tee"?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Yes if you declare it a lost ball they have to.

> >

> > Dig around in the Rules and show us where it's permitted to declare a ball as lost.

>

> A ball is deemed “lost” if:

> a. It is not found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player’s side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it; or

> b. The player has made a stroke at a provisional ball from the place where the original ball is likely to be or from a point nearer the hole than that place (see Rule 27-2b); or

> c. The player has put another ball into play under penalty of stroke and distance under Rule 26-1a, 27-1 or 28a; or

> d. The player has put another ball into play because it is known or virtually certain that the ball, which has not been found, has been moved by an outside agency (see Rule 18-1), is in an obstruction (see Rule 24-3), is in an abnormal ground condition (see Rule 25-1c) or is in a water hazard (see Rule 26-1b or c); or

> e. The player has made a stroke at a substituted ball.

That's correct. You may not DECLARE a ball as lost. You couldn't prior to 2019, nor can you in 2019.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @Moo said:

> > As soon as the leaves start falling faster than the grounds crew can blow/sweep them up, most every group I play with allows for f-14. You can't blast it into the woods and make the claim, but this time of year balls 1 yard off the fairway can just disappear.

> >

> > Even if we have a ten dollar bet or something, almost everyone will have watched the path the lost ball was on and agree with the free drop.

>

> Thank you Moo. That is exactly my point.

Still wouldn't necessarily have to go back to the tee if lost ball.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > @Moo said:

> > > As soon as the leaves start falling faster than the grounds crew can blow/sweep them up, most every group I play with allows for f-14. You can't blast it into the woods and make the claim, but this time of year balls 1 yard off the fairway can just disappear.

> > >

> > > Even if we have a ten dollar bet or something, almost everyone will have watched the path the lost ball was on and agree with the free drop.

> >

> > Thank you Moo. That is exactly my point.

>

> Still wouldn't necessarily have to go back to the tee if lost ball.

Correct on two ..... you could and should also hit a provisional to start with. Buster will be in play you can bet.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Irishman1979 said:

I'm not for cheating but just like a plugged ball in wet conditions under the new rules of the USGA if you know your ball was in play, you get a free drop in a casual round.

Under both this year’s and last year’s rules, unless there is some GUR or obstruction thing happening as well, you must find a plugged ball to get free relief. “Knowing your ball was in play,” whatever that means, has no standing.

I don't play tournaments and I don't have a handicap. I just play for fun with my friends. If I hit a ball into a bunch of leaves I'm taking a free drop. If one of my friends takes his round a little more serious than I do and doesn't want to take a free drop, that's totally up to them. If I was playing for anything more than fun I would not take the free drop.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > @Moo said:

> > > > As soon as the leaves start falling faster than the grounds crew can blow/sweep them up, most every group I play with allows for f-14. You can't blast it into the woods and make the claim, but this time of year balls 1 yard off the fairway can just disappear.

> > > >

> > > > Even if we have a ten dollar bet or something, almost everyone will have watched the path the lost ball was on and agree with the free drop.

> > >

> > > Thank you Moo. That is exactly my point.

> >

> > Still wouldn't necessarily have to go back to the tee if lost ball.

>

> Correct on two ..... you could and should also hit a provisional to start with. Buster will be in play you can bet.

Or if the course has local rule in play, penalty drop under the new rules!

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > @Moo said:

> > > > > As soon as the leaves start falling faster than the grounds crew can blow/sweep them up, most every group I play with allows for f-14. You can't blast it into the woods and make the claim, but this time of year balls 1 yard off the fairway can just disappear.

> > > > >

> > > > > Even if we have a ten dollar bet or something, almost everyone will have watched the path the lost ball was on and agree with the free drop.

> > > >

> > > > Thank you Moo. That is exactly my point.

> > >

> > > Still wouldn't necessarily have to go back to the tee if lost ball.

> >

> > Correct on two ..... you could and should also hit a provisional to start with. Buster will be in play you can bet.

>

> Or if the course has local rule in play, penalty drop under the new rules!

>

>

Yep. Absolutely.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > @Moo said:

> > > > > As soon as the leaves start falling faster than the grounds crew can blow/sweep them up, most every group I play with allows for f-14. You can't blast it into the woods and make the claim, but this time of year balls 1 yard off the fairway can just disappear.

> > > > >

> > > > > Even if we have a ten dollar bet or something, almost everyone will have watched the path the lost ball was on and agree with the free drop.

> > > >

> > > > Thank you Moo. That is exactly my point.

> > >

> > > Still wouldn't necessarily have to go back to the tee if lost ball.

> >

> > Correct on two ..... you could and should also hit a provisional to start with. Buster will be in play you can bet.

>

> Or if the course has local rule in play, penalty drop under the new rules!

>

>

Tricky little Devil,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @"flip flappy" said:

> I don't play tournaments and I don't have a handicap. I just play for fun with my friends. If I hit a ball into a bunch of leaves I'm taking a free drop. If one of my friends takes his round a little more serious than I do and doesn't want to take a free drop, that's totally up to them. If I was playing for anything more than fun I would not take the free drop.

Do what you like. however this is the Rules folder.