2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

MEMBER REVIEWS: L.A.B. Golf Putters! Read What Members Are Saying Now!

knudson81

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> FINALLY rolled one last night, albeit in RH while I am a lefty. I just wanted to see what it looked and felt like in person and I have to say, I'm really impressed. My question for @labgolf is how do you know what loft to put on each custom order? Traditionally I play about 3* loft in a blade, and 1 to 2* in a larger mallet like Spider Tour, etc. With a really big mallet like this, I would probably go with 0 loft, but then with the shaft being onset to the face AND the big forward press from the grip, I assume that would go back up by a lot. Since I can't come in for a fitting, and the True Spec/Club Champion near me don't carry these, I would have to buy based on the remote fitting process.

>

> So how do you ensure each player is getting the correct loft for him/her?

Great question! We do not actually fit for loft. The head being so big, the onset head, the shaft lean and the press grip are all factors. In the reviews above, you'll see a lot of folks made the adjustment of moving the ball forward a bit and we have found our cocktail to produce an exceptional roll. The roll of the ball and the feel off the face will tell you if you are in the right spot. The face to sole loft is 2°. Face to shaft is 3.5° but when you put the press grip on, if its in a vertical position at address, the static effective loft is 1/2°.

> @labgolf said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > FINALLY rolled one last night, albeit in RH while I am a lefty. I just wanted to see what it looked and felt like in person and I have to say, I'm really impressed. My question for @labgolf is how do you know what loft to put on each custom order? Traditionally I play about 3* loft in a blade, and 1 to 2* in a larger mallet like Spider Tour, etc. With a really big mallet like this, I would probably go with 0 loft, but then with the shaft being onset to the face AND the big forward press from the grip, I assume that would go back up by a lot. Since I can't come in for a fitting, and the True Spec/Club Champion near me don't carry these, I would have to buy based on the remote fitting process.

> >

> > So how do you ensure each player is getting the correct loft for him/her?

>

> Great question! We do not actually fit for loft. The head being so big, the onset head, the shaft lean and the press grip are all factors. In the reviews above, you'll see a lot of folks made the adjustment of moving the ball forward a bit and we have found our cocktail to produce an exceptional roll. The roll of the ball and the feel off the face will tell you if you are in the right spot. The face to sole loft is 2°. Face to shaft is 3.5° but when you put the press grip on, if its in a vertical position at address, the static effective loft is 1/2°.

Thanks for the fast response! 1/2* effective loft actually sounds perfect based on the characteristics of the head. I might need to move the ball up in my stance just a hair but as you said, it will be some trail as error. I have to say.... the feel of the 2.1 head was absolutely wonderful. I have a milled Betti small mallet and this putter feels softer... but it's not springy like some other insert putters I've used in the past.

This putter is 100% on my bucket list to get for next season.

Ziggy, one of Bill's youtube DF video suggested centering the point where the shaft meets the head, right in the middle of the stance (where the belt buckle would fall).

The ball would then "naturally" sit in front of the head from that position. I am left eye dominant and this really resolved a lot of ball position issues/questions for me. Roll was actually much better as well and its very simple to remember, no more guessing. Have you tried that?

+1 vote on the slightly smaller DF 2.1 head as well. Ala mini-spyder like. Been asking Bill for this for years now... another year would not hurt, lol :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

just ordered mine today from a local fitter. CANNOT WAIT to get it. I was playing with a few that they have in stock, albeit not fit for me, and the feel is pretty incredible.

now for the painful wait :)

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* // LA Golf DJ Series 65 (5)
TM Stealth Plus 13.5* // Ventus Black 6x
Callaway Uwood 19* // Ventus Blue 7s
4i - Callaway Rogue ST Pro // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx

5i-PW - NCW // Mitsubishi MMT 105tx
Vokey SM8 52.12F S300
Vokey SM8 56.14F S200
Vokey SM8 60.14K S200
Odyssey 2 ball ten
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @Smitty1304 said:

> > @ethan380 said:

> > Do you find speed control on shorter putts challenging with such a large head?

>

> Short putts weren't the issue for me. It was the longer lag putts I struggled with the 1st round. I would attribute most of that due to not playing the last month and a new putter. What I really find easy is the alignment and letting the putter do the work without having to manipulate the face as much as a traditional putter.

>

>

Good to know. Thanks.

> @SwingBlues said:

> Ziggy, one of Bill's youtube DF video suggested centering the point where the shaft meets the head, right in the middle of the stance (where the belt buckle would fall).

>

> The ball would then "naturally" sit in front of the head from that position. I am left eye dominant and this really resolved a lot of ball position issues/questions for me. Roll was actually much better as well and its very simple to remember, no more guessing. Have you tried that?

>

> +1 vote on the slightly smaller DF 2.1 head as well. Ala mini-spyder like. Been asking Bill for this for years now... another year would not hurt, lol :)

Oh, cool I didn't see that vid thanks. Luckily I already sort of play the ball a little bit infront of center anyway, so it shouldn't be too big of an adjustment.

The biggest adjustment will probably be getting used to my friends chirping me for the giant axe putter :blush: But then I can chirp back when I'm getting a free drink after the round for winning our matches :grin:

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @SwingBlues said:

> > Ziggy, one of Bill's youtube DF video suggested centering the point where the shaft meets the head, right in the middle of the stance (where the belt buckle would fall).

> >

> > The ball would then "naturally" sit in front of the head from that position. I am left eye dominant and this really resolved a lot of ball position issues/questions for me. Roll was actually much better as well and its very simple to remember, no more guessing. Have you tried that?

> >

> > +1 vote on the slightly smaller DF 2.1 head as well. Ala mini-spyder like. Been asking Bill for this for years now... another year would not hurt, lol :)

>

> Oh, cool I didn't see that vid thanks. Luckily I already sort of play the ball a little bit infront of center anyway, so it shouldn't be too big of an adjustment.

>

> The biggest adjustment will probably be getting used to my friends chirping me for the giant axe putter :blush: But then I can chirp back when I'm getting a free drink after the round for winning our matches :grin:

I think you'll probably appreciate what lie balance technology does for the putting stroke and basically giving the best odds of the head on-track/path AND keeping the stability of the head right at impact with the ball.

One of the most fascinating tool developed by Bill Presse V is the "Revealer". That will "mount" any putter on it and in a putting stoke, it really shows how unstable the putter is with the head literally spinning like a top through the stroke. Been contemplating getting that tool just for the fun of using it at my golf course and seeing how all my buddies putters would fare :wink:

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

SwingBlues - what does the designation of "2.05" refer to in your WITB -- Directed Force Reno "2.05" ? Their latest offering is the 2.1, and from what I have been reading they had a 1 and a 2 as well. Thanks for any insight you can provide on this.

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

PING - G400 Max 10.5 - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 5 R

Titleist - TS2 4W - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 RS TS2 7W - Alta CB 65 R

Cobra - Baffler 23* - Aldila NV-HL 65 R

PXG - 0211 (2019 version) - 5-PW - MMT 80 S

Cleveland - CBX2 50 / 54 / 58 - Rotex 

L.A.B. Golf - Directed Force 2.1 - KBS Tour - Press No. II 3*

Snell - MTB  Black

After a few more rounds of golf on my home course, I was finally able to settle in and get some good results. The greens are in the best shape I've ever seen them so they provided ample opportunity to expose any flaws. But, it reality, there are none with this putter, if you can get past the aesthetics. I hope to try to BLāD.1 some day. Anyways...the balance is incredible. The weighting is good, not too light, not too heavy. And thanks to a tip earlier in this thread, once I slowed down my putting stroke ever so slightly, it lightened up my grip pressure and I wasn't sending putts offline any more. The putter does indeed stay right on the line you put in on.

Something I didn't touch on earlier was mishits. I don't see a lot of, if any, loss of distance with off-center hits. Granted, I don't really miss the center of the face much, maybe 1/4" at most, but I didn't notice any difference in distance, direction or feel.

For me, this wasn't an overnight cure for my putting woes. It took a couple weeks for me to get accustomed to the putter. But I understand what Lab Golf was trying to achieve and I believe they are correct in doing so. Putting is about two things, speed and direction. Speed is something that's hard to improve upon. No company can tell a player how hard or soft to hit the ball. But a company sure can help with alignment. And Lab Golf comes through in a big way here. This putter will be staying in the bag.

• Like 1

The more I putt with this putter, the more I like it. There is a consistency that I haven’t felt and I believe that is because of the lie angle balancing. Even bad strokes start online. While I agree with a lot of others, I would like to see a smaller version. It’s not that bad, I think in the bag is where I notice the size more than anywhere else. When I am actually putting I don’t notice anything behind the shaft.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

> @wcbjr said:

> After a few more rounds of golf on my home course, I was finally able to settle in and get some good results. The greens are in the best shape I've ever seen them so they provided ample opportunity to expose any flaws. But, it reality, there are none with this putter, if you can get past the aesthetics. I hope to try to BLāD.1 some day. Anyways...the balance is incredible. The weighting is good, not too light, not too heavy. And thanks to a tip earlier in this thread, once I slowed down my putting stroke ever so slightly, it lightened up my grip pressure and I wasn't sending putts offline any more. The putter does indeed stay right on the line you put in on.

>

> Something I didn't touch on earlier was mishits. I don't see a lot of, if any, loss of distance with off-center hits. Granted, I don't really miss the center of the face much, maybe 1/4" at most, but I didn't notice any difference in distance, direction or feel.

>

> For me, this wasn't an overnight cure for my putting woes. It took a couple weeks for me to get accustomed to the putter. But I understand what Lab Golf was trying to achieve and I believe they are correct in doing so. Putting is about two things, speed and direction. Speed is something that's hard to improve upon. No company can tell a player how hard or soft to hit the ball. But a company sure can help with alignment. And Lab Golf comes through in a big way here. This putter will be staying in the bag.

I love this! The biggest challenge we face is that "hangover" period you mentioned. The fact is that L.A.B. putter feel and perform differently. For some, the transition is easy. People who have longer smoother strokes and aim their putters well adopt very easily. But for most, it takes a minute to unlearn all the things we do to control torque. For people who grip it a little tighter and have accelerated short strokes, the putter can feel vague and weird. Then because of the looks and the shit they take from their playing partners, its hard to convince themselves to keep it in the bag. This is most evident on tour. Those guys are the best in the world at managing torque. When you take it away, they tend to feel a bit lost. And because they need instant results, they don't last in the bag very long. Hopefully this off-season the tour guys that are testing them give them a long enough adjustment period to accept that they have a putter that is totally consistent across the face and stays square by itself! The rest they should be able to figure out!

• Thanks 1

Best putter i've ever used. Been in the bag since February and I had my best putting year ever. The look never bothered me, but if it did, seeing the ball go in the hole would take care of any apprehensions.

Also I brought the fitting system into our golf shop and sold at least 10 of them.

Callaway National Fitters Board/Adidas Staff/UST Mamiya Advisory Staff
AI Smoke Max - Lin-Q M40X Blue 
AI Smoke Max 3W - Lin-Q M40X Red
AI Smoke Max 5W - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex UW - Lin-Q M40X White
Apex Pro 24 5-8, CB 9-11 - Recoil Dart 105
JAWS Raw 54W,60Z - Recoil Wedge Proto 110
Toulon Le Mans - UST All-In
Chrome Tour

> Also I brought the fitting system into our golf shop and sold at least 10 of them.

My pro just ordered the fitting system as well after playing around with mine.

Some observations after 8 rounds.......

The more I play with it, the less I notice the head size/shape. It was rough at first and not what I would prefer looking down at but it does inspire confidence. Especially with short putts. Lag putting is still the real surprise. That is where I struggled in the past with mallets or anything bigger than I'm used to. Put those two together and odds are.... you'll avoid 3 putts.

I'm still seeing less break on all putts. This is something I need to stay mindful of. My miss is usually on the high side to start with.

I never played with a center shaft putter. Not an issue for me at all.

I know when I miss the center. Entirely different sound and feel. But the roll is basically the same.

When you pull it out of the bag, it feels heavy. When you stroke it, it feels light. Which I think is a good thing. If it swung as heavy as it is, I think distance control would be all over the place. If you're smooth with it, very easy to control. If you get jerky or handsy with it, not great. Might help those who aren't as smooth as they'd like to be over time?

I'm narrow and I get the best results with it when I line up the shaft with the middle of my stance. This consistently puts the ball where I need it.

I heard Matt from TXG say two things that sum it up. It's kind of hard to screw it up. And when you're making putts, who cares what it looks like. My pro said the same. But we still screw it up at times and many do care what it looks like. I'm thinking you need to be willing to over look the 2nd thing to see how much less you do the 1st.

Take all of this from a guy who didn't want to test the 2.1. I signed up to test the blade only and let Sam know that first thing. To be honest, when he asked me to try it, I didn't want to be rude and say no. But I didn't think there was much of a chance I'd do well with it.

Hoping the blade gets here before the weather turns. Anxious to see how they compare.

Took mine out for another 18 yesterday, and I cannot say enough great things about this putter! I only had one three putt all day, and that was a misread on my part. This thing is point and shoot. It is ugly, but it doesn't matter when the ball goes in. Everyone I have played with has mentioned my putting and the putter wanting to know more or try it.

> @chetterchez said:

> I just purchased one of these from the classifieds. Looking forward to trying it out.

All I will say is give it some time, it wont take long but don't expect results the first day out. There are a lot of good tips in this thread, for me I struggled with lag putts but with a little practice and a smoother tempo, I got the hang of it. I had to move the ball sightly forward in my stance, because of the onset shaft. A couple of my favorite drills with this putter are; putt with your thumbs off the putter, you will see how loose you can grip the putter and still get good results, it also lets the lie angle balancing do its job. The other drill, is one of my favorite speed drills, putt looking at the hole, just like you throw a ball looking at your target, it will let your natural instincts take over. Have fun and let us know what you think!

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

> @granata10 said:

> > @chetterchez said:

> > I just purchased one of these from the classifieds. Looking forward to trying it out.

>

> All I will say is give it some time, it wont take long but don't expect results the first day out. There are a lot of good tips in this thread, for me I struggled with lag putts but with a little practice and a smoother tempo, I got the hang of it. I had to move the ball sightly forward in my stance, because of the onset shaft. A couple of my favorite drills with this putter are; putt with your thumbs off the putter, you will see how loose you can grip the putter and still get good results, it also lets the lie angle balancing do its job. The other drill, is one of my favorite speed drills, putt looking at the hole, just like you throw a ball looking at your target, it will let your natural instincts take over. Have fun and let us know what you think!

Thanks! Yeah, I read thru this thread and see a bunch of good stuff. I'm hoping it's not too much of a transition for me as I've consistently putted with "larger" mallets the past 10 years or so. I've been using an Odyssey 2-Ball Fang the past 3 years give or take and play it a touch forward in my stance. My only potential issue is that the one I ordered from the classifieds is 73 degree lie. My Odyssey 2-Ball Fang has standard 70 degree lie from what I'm finding online. The good news, I think, is that I play my 2-Ball with the heel up and toe down a touch. Hopeful the 73 degree lie fits like a glove.

> @5baytjd said:

> SwingBlues - what does the designation of "2.05" refer to in your WITB -- Directed Force Reno "2.05" ? Their latest offering is the 2.1, and from what I have been reading they had a 1 and a 2 as well. Thanks for any insight you can provide on this.

My DF Reno was originally a 2.0. However, I had it sent to Bill to have it reshafted with the first edition of the Stability shaft and also had the line sights laser etched so that it would not glare in the direct sun light. I believe, only the 2.1 had the laser etched sight lines while all prior versions had the milled sight lines. It makes a HUGE difference now to reduce the direct reflection glare that I use to put up with, much more than I expected. Hence "2.05" :)

Many thanks to Bill for personally taking care of my putter & enhancements. That is customer service <3

And as Paul Harvey used to say, "that's the rest of the story". Thanks for the feedback. I have a 2.1 coming that I found on eBay (can't wait).

• Like 1

In my Datrek - DG lite II cart bag attached via Top-Lok to my Bag Boy - Quad XL - I'm decidedly brand agnostic:

Snell - MTB  Black

> @5baytjd said:

> And as Paul Harvey used to say, "that's the rest of the story". Thanks for the feedback. I have a 2.1 coming that I found on eBay (can't wait).

The only prob with Ebay vs Custom is that you may not guess the right lie for your stroke. Lie balance requires the right angle. However, it really does not cost much to order & do a remote video fitting and get the right lie angle and if u decide to go with custom, you get a discount on the order. At the minimum, you have the right angle degree data should you decide to go ebay route to save some $$$.

Also 4 you guys with the new putters, this is one of the BEST tips Bill Presse IV give on where to put the ball. My advice, heed what he says and save the pain/frustration of trying to figure it out:

Have fun!

@SwingBlues good stuff!

I see in your signature that you're using the Stability Shaft. What do you think about it on the Directed Force? I haven't tried it on any putter but intrigued to hear someone's thoughts on it coupled with the Reno specifically and how you liked the Reno before vs after the Stability Shaft install.

@SwingBlues -- Yes, I took advantage of the remote fitting service to find out my lie angle, and then armed with that information found one on eBay which matched my lie angle spec. Still need to send it in to have it re-shafted and re-weighted to the correct length for me (not so lucky as to find an exact match of what I needed). Will also get the Press Grip 2.M installed. Thanks for posting the video, I think I had seen it during my research on Directed Force putters, but would have had to find it again. Now it's readily at hand - appreciate that!

• Like 1

Snell - MTB  Black

> @SwingBlues said:

> > @5baytjd said:

> > And as Paul Harvey used to say, "that's the rest of the story". Thanks for the feedback. I have a 2.1 coming that I found on eBay (can't wait).

>

> The only prob with Ebay vs Custom is that you may not guess the right lie for your stroke. Lie balance requires the right angle. However, it really does not cost much to order & do a remote video fitting and get the right lie angle and if u decide to go with custom, you get a discount on the order. At the minimum, you have the right angle degree data should you decide to go ebay route to save some $$$.

>

> Also 4 you guys with the new putters, this is one of the BEST tips Bill Presse IV give on where to put the ball. My advice, heed what he says and save the pain/frustration of trying to figure it out:

>

>

> Have fun!

Great video!! I mentioned something similar earlier in this thread but having the video to reinforce was great to see!

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5

Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Evnroll ER5 black

> @TheMagicStinger said:

> I can't putt with snow on the ground :(

>

> Last time I played I had a **** of a time getting this out of the bag due to the way the grip is angled. Anyone else?

It's like my LEAST favorite thing about the putter by far! One of these days we will make our own bag with a nice putter well. I use a nike air sport bag that has a perfect slot for it. I even bought an extra one on ebay for mine wears out.

• Like 1

> @labgolf said:

> > @TheMagicStinger said:

> > I can't putt with snow on the ground :(

> >

> > Last time I played I had a **** of a time getting this out of the bag due to the way the grip is angled. Anyone else?

>

> It's like my LEAST favorite thing about the putter by far! One of these days we will make our own bag with a nice putter well. I use a nike air sport bag that has a perfect slot for it. I even bought an extra one on ebay for mine wears out.

glad i'm not crazy. for the majority of my round I didn't even put it in the bag... I'm all in on a L.A.B. golf bag.

> @chetterchez said:

> @SwingBlues good stuff!

>

> I see in your signature that you're using the Stability Shaft. What do you think about it on the Directed Force? I haven't tried it on any putter but intrigued to hear someone's thoughts on it coupled with the Reno specifically and how you liked the Reno before vs after the Stability Shaft install.

See: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19216481/#Comment_19216481

I had the Reno with the original black shaft for about a year before I had Bill Presse IV switched out that shaft to the original Stability (around Nov 2018).

FWIW, I was putting really good with the stock shaft and, based on my experience, the Stability did improve the accuracy but only for longer putts. As I stated in the other thread, for short putts, no difference.

Feelwise, the Stability does feel stiffer and a wee bit "muted" feel on impact. In contrast, the stock shaft is "livelier". To me, it also felt "tip soft" especially when I need to crank the speed up for long putts, describing this the best I can.

Is it worth the $200? Well, if I had to get another DF Reno, I would definitely order the shaft. I know the Stability Tour is out at the moment so I am trying to canvas those testing guys to see the diff between original vs Tour. Also, in talking to Bill, changing the tip that goes into the Stability effects feel as well. I think I saw something on FB that a graphite tip may introduce some softness and better feel, reduce the harshness of the stiffness, thats worth checking out if you are looking into diving into Stability.

As for me, I am HAPPILY stuck with mine and I'll putt with it all day and year...