How Do You Deal with People Who Say Their Score but You Know They Cheat?

> @Augster said:

> If you’re not playing for money, why would it bother you? I read these comments on here every so often and keep thinking I’ll figure it out, but I doubt I ever will.

>

> You know he didn’t shoot that score. He knows he didn’t shoot that score. So what does it matter what he says he shot? If I don’t have a bet with a guy and I know he shot 80 and says he shot 67, my answer would be, “Wow. Nice round.”

>

> It’s ego, but not his. It’s your own. Someone claiming they beat you, even though you both know he didn’t, is a challenge to your ego and you feel you must correct this slight.

>

> Better yet, challenge the braggarts to money games.

>

> Finally, lighten up Francis.

Haha. Wow. Some mental gymnastics here.

We expect our family, friends, and acquaintances to be honest in all matters of life but when it comes to golf - - - I should just not care if people are honest?

Yeah I'm not following that logic. You never explained why it's good and normal and acceptable for someone to lie about their scores.

Trust me I don't care 99% of the time and usually don't say anything to people. But the idea itself is bothersome. We are supposed to be okay with people lying about their score? Not buying it.

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> >

> > And this is the sad world we live in. And why I won't play in a handicap based match for money.

>

>** So you won't play in handicap match for money because people may have a handicap that is too low? Ummmm, OK. **I don't mind playing them and if they happen to ask why they have a hard time competing I offer them some advice on how they can make their index more accurate. Otherwise no skin off my back and more skin out of their wallet. For a friend that is starting to get scores close to where I am then it might start to bug me a and I would likely say something. But let's not pretend there is a polite way to say 'I play by the rules and don't really care about your score if you don't'. You are saying it to be a *&%^ so own it.

>

> >

No, because we all know there are people that lie in the other direction---sandbaggers. Who purposefully inflate their handicap.

All of the above is dishonest and makes any handicap based match tainted to begin with. Not to mention that you can't count on them actually counting all of their strokes to begin with.

So, sorry, but I will stick to playing against people that I know actually play legit golf. That's my preference.

> @davep043 said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > This isn't a really big deal but it is sort of a frustrating reality in amateur/casual golf.

> >

> > It seems like the vast majority of people I know, that typically haven't played competitive golf, tend to cheat. They don't count all of their strokes, they improve their lies, they play OB like a hazard, etc.

> >

> >......

> >

> > How do you deal with this? Do you tell people flat out not to talk to you about their scores, when you know they cheat? Or, do you just roll your eyes on the inside and pretend to take them seriously?

>

> To be honest, you're the one making a deal of this. My impression is that you don't want these guys to shoot a score better than yours, even if you're not in a competition with them.

>

> For me, if we're competing, even if the stakes are just a dollar, I make sure we all get scores right. If I think they've given me a wrong hole score, we go back through it stroke by stroke until we agree. I might do exactly the same thing if we're just playing with friends just for fun, although my level of insistence might drop by a good bit. If I'm with strangers, and not competing, I simply don't care. I certainly wouldn't be rude enough to say "Don't talk to me about your cheating scores", and probably wouldn't even go as far as to mentally roll my eyes. Its more of a shoulder shrug, do whatever you feel like. I'll play my own game, play by the rules, and keep the correct score, and let them make their own choices.

>

The guys I'm talking about are a couple levels below me in terms of golf. Seriously not trying to sound cocky but it is the case. I am definitely not worried about them shooting a better score than me.

Actually I would be glad if they shot better scores than me. If they played by the rules!

Maybe some of the nuance is missed over the Internet. But I do not get upset over this. I am simply asking what you guys think should be the proper response.

I do think it's a bit weird that some people feel we should just accept people's lying about their scores and cheating at the game and never say a thing.

In some cases I think it is okay to gently tell someone that they didn't actually follow all of the rules -- if they are bragging to you about their score.

And I would never just say "Don't talk to me about your cheating scores" if that's what you're implying.

I would find a way to politely say it, as I already mentioned above. Like if it's a friend of mine and he repeatedly does it, I might say "Hey bro, you know I love ya but if you aren't following all of the rules, it doesn't really count as a legitimate score" - - in a calm tone of voice. That's not rude.

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > This isn't a really big deal but it is sort of a frustrating reality in amateur/casual golf.

> > >

> > > It seems like the vast majority of people I know, that typically haven't played competitive golf, tend to cheat. They don't count all of their strokes, they improve their lies, they play OB like a hazard, etc.

> > >

> > >......

> > >

> > > How do you deal with this? Do you tell people flat out not to talk to you about their scores, when you know they cheat? Or, do you just roll your eyes on the inside and pretend to take them seriously?

> >

> > To be honest, you're the one making a deal of this. My impression is that you don't want these guys to shoot a score better than yours, even if you're not in a competition with them.

> >

> > For me, if we're competing, even if the stakes are just a dollar, I make sure we all get scores right. If I think they've given me a wrong hole score, we go back through it stroke by stroke until we agree. I might do exactly the same thing if we're just playing with friends just for fun, although my level of insistence might drop by a good bit. If I'm with strangers, and not competing, I simply don't care. I certainly wouldn't be rude enough to say "Don't talk to me about your cheating scores", and probably wouldn't even go as far as to mentally roll my eyes. Its more of a shoulder shrug, do whatever you feel like. I'll play my own game, play by the rules, and keep the correct score, and let them make their own choices.

> >

>

> The guys I'm talking about are a couple levels below me in terms of golf. Seriously not trying to sound cocky but it is the case. I am definitely not worried about them shooting a better score than me.

>

> Actually I would be glad if they shot better scores than me. If they played by the rules!

>

> Maybe some of the nuance is missed over the Internet. But I do not get upset over this. I am simply asking what you guys think should be the proper response.

>

> I do think it's a bit weird that some people feel we should just accept people's lying about their scores and cheating at the game and never say a thing.

>

> I do the same thing myself normally. But I think in some cases it is okay to gently tell someone that they didn't actually follow all of the rules -- if they are bragging to you about their score.

>

> And I would never just say "Don't talk to me about your cheating scores" if that's what you're saying. It would find a way to politely say it, as I already mentioned above. Like if it's a friend of mine and he repeatedly does it, I might say "Hey bro, you know I love ya but if you aren't following all of the rules, it doesn't really count as a legitimate score" - - in a calm tone of voice. That's not rude.

Really depends how close a friend the two of you are, and how well you know he'll receive even that info in a calm tone. Even in a nice way you are calling them out on a round you neither saw nor participated in. and that will rub different people a lot of different ways.

Also, as others have said there's a big difference between a serious round/league/bet competing against one another and just two buddies saying what they shot over the weekend.

> @farmer said:

> Why on earth do you care? If it's not a tournament or for money, what possible difference does it make if friend deflates his score? Make it a point to correct your friends scores, they will all be grateful.

So I shouldn't care if my friends are honest when it comes to golf ... ?

If a friend repeatedly brags to me about the scores he shot, and I know he didn't actually shoot those scores, I shouldn't care?

Wouldn't it be a lot more simple and good if people just followed the rules?

I think it's weird actually that people feel the need to break the rules (they knowingly take free drops, breakfast balls, etc) just to say they had a better score than they did.

Why do we suspend our standards of honesty when it comes to golf? Why is it okay to cheat?

Again, I am okay with not following all of the rules if you don't want to. Just don't brag about your score and post it the handicap system when you're done. That's when your dishonesty starts to leak onto everyone else.

Please don't mistake my comments as being genuinely upset about this. I'm not. I am annoyed by it. So I am venting about it to you guys because I figured some avid golfers may feel the same way. And it sounds like many of you do.

> @Warrior42111 said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @straightshot7 said:

> > > > This isn't a really big deal but it is sort of a frustrating reality in amateur/casual golf.

> > > >

> > > > It seems like the vast majority of people I know, that typically haven't played competitive golf, tend to cheat. They don't count all of their strokes, they improve their lies, they play OB like a hazard, etc.

> > > >

> > > >......

> > > >

> > > > How do you deal with this? Do you tell people flat out not to talk to you about their scores, when you know they cheat? Or, do you just roll your eyes on the inside and pretend to take them seriously?

> > >

> > > To be honest, you're the one making a deal of this. My impression is that you don't want these guys to shoot a score better than yours, even if you're not in a competition with them.

> > >

> > > For me, if we're competing, even if the stakes are just a dollar, I make sure we all get scores right. If I think they've given me a wrong hole score, we go back through it stroke by stroke until we agree. I might do exactly the same thing if we're just playing with friends just for fun, although my level of insistence might drop by a good bit. If I'm with strangers, and not competing, I simply don't care. I certainly wouldn't be rude enough to say "Don't talk to me about your cheating scores", and probably wouldn't even go as far as to mentally roll my eyes. Its more of a shoulder shrug, do whatever you feel like. I'll play my own game, play by the rules, and keep the correct score, and let them make their own choices.

> > >

> >

> > The guys I'm talking about are a couple levels below me in terms of golf. Seriously not trying to sound cocky but it is the case. I am definitely not worried about them shooting a better score than me.

> >

> > Actually I would be glad if they shot better scores than me. If they played by the rules!

> >

> > Maybe some of the nuance is missed over the Internet. But I do not get upset over this. I am simply asking what you guys think should be the proper response.

> >

> > I do think it's a bit weird that some people feel we should just accept people's lying about their scores and cheating at the game and never say a thing.

> >

> > I do the same thing myself normally. But I think in some cases it is okay to gently tell someone that they didn't actually follow all of the rules -- if they are bragging to you about their score.

> >

> > And I would never just say "Don't talk to me about your cheating scores" if that's what you're saying. It would find a way to politely say it, as I already mentioned above. Like if it's a friend of mine and he repeatedly does it, I might say "Hey bro, you know I love ya but if you aren't following all of the rules, it doesn't really count as a legitimate score" - - in a calm tone of voice. That's not rude.

>

> Really depends how close a friend the two of you are, and how well you know he'll receive even that info in a calm tone. Even in a nice way you are calling them out on a round you neither saw nor participated in. and that will rub different people a lot of different ways.

>

> Also, as others have said there's a big difference between a serious round/league/bet competing against one another and just two buddies saying what they shot over the weekend.

Yeah, in this case, as i mentioned in the original post - - this one buddy of mine admitted to receiving free shots as he told me about his score. . so it wouldn't be like I was calling him out for no reason. It was totally within context.

I guess maybe some people think that's normal -- to take free shots (missed putts from 5 feet or whatever or a breakfast ball) and then still claim a particular score. I think it's strange.

But I'm sure I've gone on enough about this, lol. I just think everything would be way easier if everyone followed the rules. It would make the game better. It would allow us to play vs. each other on an even playing field. But unfortunately my dream is probably unrealistic.

Unfortunately human nature probably does render the dream unrealistic, but better to be optimistic, IMO.

I don't know that it is that people overall don't care (although many don't), I think it's just a question of at what point do you cross the line of saying nothing (even though you do care and perfectly legit)and say something. Seems like that becomes very situational and dependent on relationships, so just not an easy answer?

I'm lucky enough to play regular golf (i.e. outside league matches) with friends that care about their games but aren't overly caught up in how well or how badly they are playing that day. We all have our horrible days and never shy away from our scores - except, sometimes myself or others for various reasons may just decide they aren't keeping score that day and working on some things or don't want any "pressure" or whatever and may do a little messing around during the round, for example, or picking up or skipping a couple holes.

• Like 1

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > This isn't a really big deal but it is sort of a frustrating reality in amateur/casual golf.

> > >

> > > It seems like the vast majority of people I know, that typically haven't played competitive golf, tend to cheat. They don't count all of their strokes, they improve their lies, they play OB like a hazard, etc.

> > >

> > >......

> > >

> > > How do you deal with this? Do you tell people flat out not to talk to you about their scores, when you know they cheat? Or, do you just roll your eyes on the inside and pretend to take them seriously?

> >

> > To be honest, you're the one making a deal of this. My impression is that you don't want these guys to shoot a score better than yours, even if you're not in a competition with them.

> >

> > For me, if we're competing, even if the stakes are just a dollar, I make sure we all get scores right. If I think they've given me a wrong hole score, we go back through it stroke by stroke until we agree. I might do exactly the same thing if we're just playing with friends just for fun, although my level of insistence might drop by a good bit. If I'm with strangers, and not competing, I simply don't care. I certainly wouldn't be rude enough to say "Don't talk to me about your cheating scores", and probably wouldn't even go as far as to mentally roll my eyes. Its more of a shoulder shrug, do whatever you feel like. I'll play my own game, play by the rules, and keep the correct score, and let them make their own choices.

> >

>

> The guys I'm talking about are a couple levels below me in terms of golf. Seriously not trying to sound cocky but it is the case. I am definitely not worried about them shooting a better score than me.

>

> Actually I would be glad if they shot better scores than me. If they played by the rules!

>

> Maybe some of the nuance is missed over the Internet. But I do not get upset over this. I am simply asking what you guys think should be the proper response.

>

> I do think it's a bit weird that some people feel we should just accept people's lying about their scores and cheating at the game and never say a thing.

>

> In some cases I think it is okay to gently tell someone that they didn't actually follow all of the rules -- if they are bragging to you about their score.

>

> And I would never just say "Don't talk to me about your cheating scores" if that's what you're implying.

>

> I would find a way to politely say it, as I already mentioned above. Like if it's a friend of mine and he repeatedly does it, I might say "Hey bro, you know I love ya but if you aren't following all of the rules, it doesn't really count as a legitimate score" - - in a calm tone of voice. That's not rude.

The thing I think you're missing is that just because they are playing golf to other rules then you, you think they are cheating or lying. They are playing golf the way the enjoy and no it's not following the rules strictly. That doesn't mean they are cheaters or liars, just people that enjoy the game in a different way.

Nothing is on the line so nothing should matter what they say about their score. Honestly sounds to me like you're the one with an ego problem because their scores are closer to yours than you'd prefer.

The way I deal with it is congratulate them on a good round and if they have a 4 footer to break 80 on the last hole and have picked some up in the past I'll knock it back to them an congratulate them on breaking 80. Easy Peasy!!!!

• Like 2

> @ratspros said:

> The thing I think you're missing is that just because they are playing golf to other rules then you, you think they are cheating or lying. They are playing golf the way the enjoy and no it's not following the rules strictly. That doesn't mean they are cheaters or liars, just people that enjoy the game in a different way.

>

> Nothing is on the line so nothing should matter what they say about their score. Honestly sounds to me like you're the one with an ego problem because their scores are closer to yours than you'd prefer.

>

> The way I deal with it is congratulate them on a good round and if they have a 4 footer to break 80 on the last hole and have picked some up in the past I'll knock it back to them an congratulate them on breaking 80. Easy Peasy!!!!

You said it better than I could have. People are different. We enjoy golf differently. If the OP enjoys the company of these folks, keep playing with them, and accept their choices. If it bugs him too much, find other people to play with.

Reading through this thread, my advice is to not spend so much time obsessing about how other people play golf. You're expending way too much mental energy worrying about whether people lie about golf scores.

• Like 1

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

You admitted there isn’t anything on the line. No bets. No matches. Nothing.

If there’s anything on the line, there’s an entire rule book letting people know how to play the game of golf.

Without anything on the line, YOU may choose to play strictly by the rules, which is fine. I do also. It’s how I derive the most fun while being on the course.

I would say nearly most people enjoy golfing a different way than the rules say when they aren’t competing. Their version of a good time on the golf course is different than your version.

If you want your friends to actually play “the game of golf” by the rules, so you won’t be so upset when they say they beat you, start making wagers with them and hold them to the rules in the book.

That’s why I say if I’m not competing, I really don’t care what someone claims they shot.

3 forms of “golf”:

Casual golf

Competitive golf

Tournament golf.

There are a LOT of people that play the first version.

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > >

> > > And this is the sad world we live in. And why I won't play in a handicap based match for money.

> >

> >** So you won't play in handicap match for money because people may have a handicap that is too low? Ummmm, OK. **I don't mind playing them and if they happen to ask why they have a hard time competing I offer them some advice on how they can make their index more accurate. Otherwise no skin off my back and more skin out of their wallet. For a friend that is starting to get scores close to where I am then it might start to bug me a and I would likely say something. But let's not pretend there is a polite way to say 'I play by the rules and don't really care about your score if you don't'. You are saying it to be a *&%^ so own it.

> >

> > >

>

> No, because we all know there are people that lie in the other direction---sandbaggers. Who purposefully inflate their handicap.

>

> All of the above is dishonest and makes any handicap based match tainted to begin with. Not to mention that you can't count on them actually counting all of their strokes to begin with.

>

> So, sorry, but I will stick to playing against people that I know actually play legit golf. That's my preference.

> @straightshot7 said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > >

> > > And this is the sad world we live in. And why I won't play in a handicap based match for money.

> >

> >** So you won't play in handicap match for money because people may have a handicap that is too low? Ummmm, OK. **I don't mind playing them and if they happen to ask why they have a hard time competing I offer them some advice on how they can make their index more accurate. Otherwise no skin off my back and more skin out of their wallet. For a friend that is starting to get scores close to where I am then it might start to bug me a and I would likely say something. But let's not pretend there is a polite way to say 'I play by the rules and don't really care about your score if you don't'. You are saying it to be a *&%^ so own it.

> >

> > >

>

> No, because we all know there are people that lie in the other direction---sandbaggers. Who purposefully inflate their handicap.

>

> All of the above is dishonest and makes any handicap based match tainted to begin with. Not to mention that you can't count on them actually counting all of their strokes to begin with.

>

> So, sorry, but I will stick to playing against people that I know actually play legit golf. That's my preference.

It’s sad and pathetic there are players out there that are good but instead want to win by getting strokes instead of playing you straight up.

Every week me and my dad play and every week he is usually about 10 - 15 shots more than me, in reality if he played to the exact rules it would be more like 20 - 25

"ooh this week you only beat me by 8" on a really good week for him, it was more like 15

Do i care? not a jot! why would i care what he or anyone else scores when its just a round of golf, all i care about is how well i played and what i scored

Its a bit of fun, if someone else doesn't play to the exact rules but they enjoy it more, who cares if its just a friendly round

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

> @Malvern said:

> I love being in the States, love playing golf there and love it when you boys come down under.

>

> What we do love most or all is "I'm like a 4 or a 5", boom tish, cash coming to the Aussie boys, cause you will need to hole all the sliding 3 footers

I play in St Andrews quite a lot and have played with a lot of American's, it seems every one of them is between a 5 and a 9, they then cant break 90

I love the "i usually play better than this"

yeah i'm sure you do lol

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

Just thought of a new take on an old quote.

Give the golfer strokes based on what he says he shot, place your bet based on what he actually shot. Works for both sandbaggers and vanity cappees

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @Superbrit said:

> > @Malvern said:

> > I love being in the States, love playing golf there and love it when you boys come down under.

> >

> > What we do love most or all is "I'm like a 4 or a 5", boom tish, cash coming to the Aussie boys, cause you will need to hole all the sliding 3 footers

>

>

> I play in St Andrews quite a lot and have played with a lot of American's, it seems every one of them is between a 5 and a 9, they then cant break 90

>

> I love the "i usually play better than this"

>

> yeah i'm sure you do lol

>

>

If the ratings I found online are accurate 73.1/132 and 71.4/129 then given how **vastly** different St. Andrews seems to play than anything I have played in the states I would think a goal of **hoping** to break 90 my first time would be a realistc goal even though my index is usually around 8. You could also put me on a course that is very tight with a lot of OB and very sloped/fast greens and I would likely struggle with 90 there as well my first few times through.

90 on a 73.1/131 course = 14.4 differential

90 on a 71.4/129 course = 16.2 differential

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @Superbrit said:

> > > @Malvern said:

> > > I love being in the States, love playing golf there and love it when you boys come down under.

> > >

> > > What we do love most or all is "I'm like a 4 or a 5", boom tish, cash coming to the Aussie boys, cause you will need to hole all the sliding 3 footers

> >

> >

> > I play in St Andrews quite a lot and have played with a lot of American's, it seems every one of them is between a 5 and a 9, they then cant break 90

> >

> > I love the "i usually play better than this"

> >

> > yeah i'm sure you do lol

> >

> >

>

> If the ratings I found online are accurate 73.1/132 and 71.4/129 then given how **vastly** different St. Andrews seems to play than anything I have played in the states I would think a goal of **hoping** to break 90 my first time would be a realistc goal even though my index is usually around 8. You could also put me on a course that is very tight with a lot of OB and very sloped/fast greens and I would likely struggle with 90 there as well my first few times through.

>

> 90 on a 73.1/131 course = 14.4 differential

> 90 on a 71.4/129 course = 16.2 differential

A 5 - 9 hc with a caddie, on a calm day, from the yellow tees, should not be scoring mid 90's (at best) on the old course in my opinion.

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

I love people with vanity handicaps. Although most people who exaggerate their score in a lower direction rarely have actual handicaps.

If it's a league match then usually groups are good about self policing scores. Most people I have played with in these situations don't want to be viewed as cheaters.

If it's a buddy match playing for a little money then the group I play in has no issue calling out someone if their scoring is sketchy. Usually a "Hey, dude, WTF? that ball was OB, you either go back to the tee or drop there with two strokes not one." We don't play for big money but it it's the principle of the thing.

That being said the best way to take care of a sandbagger who doesn't have a handicap is to ask on the first tee. "what is your best score this year? " uh......82" "Okay we will give you 10 strokes" Likely it was a legit 86, but his ego wasn;t bruised.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @straightshot7 said:

> This isn't a really big deal but it is sort of a frustrating reality in amateur/casual golf.

>

> It seems like the vast majority of people I know, that typically haven't played competitive golf, tend to cheat. They don't count all of their strokes, they improve their lies, they play OB like a hazard, etc.

>

> I don't really have a problem with this (since it is primarily for their own enjoyment) except when they also pretend to have a legitimate score at the end of the round.

>

> Recently I had a friend (who is otherwise a very very high integrity person) tell me, "I had one of my best ever rounds. I shot a 78. Well, my dad gave me a couple gimmies but it was a legit 78".

>

> What he probably means is he missed a couple of 5-6 footers and his dad gave them to him. And most likely there was also an OB here or there that never got counted (breakfast ball).

>

> But, he is still considering this a 78?

>

> I was lucky enough to play competitively in high school and college so I got used to playing properly and taking the rules seriously. But it would seem like anyone could see the incongruity in not counting all of your strokes, and then telling people you shot a certain score.

>

> Sadly, I would bet at least 50% of people posting scores/carrying an official handicap aren't counting all of their shots properly. And, there are probably some reading this.

>

> How do you deal with this? Do you tell people flat out not to talk to you about their scores, when you know they cheat? Or, do you just roll your eyes on the inside and pretend to take them seriously?

How do I deal with it? I smile, shake their hand, and tell them nice round. I couldn't care less what they shot or how they figured their score.

If I'm playing them for money, they will be called out for any infractions I see and they will have a legit score at the end of the day. Since I no longer play for money, I dont really care what others do or what they say they shot.

> @Superbrit said:

> Every week me and my dad play and every week he is usually about 10 - 15 shots more than me, in reality if he played to the exact rules it would be more like 20 - 25

>

> "ooh this week you only beat me by 8" on a really good week for him, it was more like 15

>

> Do i care? not a jot! why would i care what he or anyone else scores when its just a round of golf, all i care about is how well i played and what i scored

>

> Its a bit of fun, if someone else doesn't play to the exact rules but they enjoy it more, who cares if its just a friendly round

i agree 100%. One round a week is with my dad and his buddies. Heck we even play for a pitcher of beer. I couldn’t care less if I’m the one buying the beer after the round even though I probably shouldn’t be. I enjoy the round with them and that’s all that matters to me on those rounds.

My other two rounds a week are my serious rounds where played with similar golfers to myself that play by the rules. Those rounds I hate being the one buying the beer or paying out!!!

I have no problem with the vanity golfer who touts a low HC but is actually higher (doesn't record their high scores). Love those types in our MGA tournaments. It's the other flip side I don't like, the s'baggers who all of a sudden are shooting net-below-par on tournaments yet tout a 18-20 HC.

> @kevinscott22 said:

> It's amazing to me how high the scores become when it's tournament/stroke play. Guys who shoot low 80s all of a sudden aren't breaking 90 and "scratch" golfers are shooting 78 on their home course. "Couldn't make anything today!!" ...yikes. Gimmes are a part of the game but I agree it is often not used for it's intended purpose

>

> I'm not one to call people out unless money is involved but I think in your situation I would congratulate him on his round and in the back of my mind know it was probably not a 78, but oh well

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

A good friend of mine does this when we play skins or other game for a few bucks. He'll chunk it down the fairway, adding several shots to the hole, then turn around after sinking a putt and say he boggied the hole. Not sure what motivates somebody to do this - especially when you're talking about a few bucks vs your integrity. The guys I play with at my club never do this when I'm playing with them. But, I find it's the norm on the muni courses - for whatever that's worth. If I let it get to me I just take the mindset that I'm gonna beat them like a drum with a flurry of long drives, good putts, pars and a few birdies. When I get ticked I get really focused...haha.

Like most others, if not playing for money (with gentleman's agreement on rules, "Strict rules of golf, Mr. Bond?" or in a tournament, who cares? Vanity handicaps are always fun in tourneys, and the excuses fly like a swarm of gnats.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow