NEW PING iBLADE IN 2020?

uglande

I was a fan of the Ping iBlade and am intrigued by the Blueprint but think it might be a little much for me, especially in the longer irons. It's tiny and razor thin. It seems like a very tour-focused design, and yet the i210 is more of a low-mid handicapper iron. This leaves Ping without a player's club for the non-scratch golfer in its lineup. Any news about an update to the iBlade or some similar offering from Ping in 2020?

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

As of right now there has not been any official talk from Ping about and iBlade replacement, but I guarantee you are far from the only person who does not feel served by Ping's current offerings. I have played pings all my life and currently play the S55's. I'm looking to replace them and I would definitely jump on an iblade 2.0, but I don't want to purchase an iron that's 3 years old already.

I think the idea at PING was that with the i210, i500 and Blueprint irons, that all of the low to mid-low handicap players would be covered. And I know they sold quite a few i500s around release, but the loyalty to the i500 does not seem to be high. So from a sales standpoint the i500 might be considered a success because of the early sales, but that may not be sustainable for the usual PING 2 year cycle. Hopefully PING sees this and will have a better replacement for the i500 or the iBlade before the full 2 years from the i500 release date.

> @Ivyguy said:

> Ping has been pretty firm about only releasing new iterations when they can beat the prior generation.... iBlade is still current to them.

I disagree about the last thing you said. Ping iBlade came out three years ago. That's not "current" by any manufacturer's standard, and they are no longer taking custom orders.

The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

I would be all over a new iblade or a reiteration if the i210. Ive been looking at moving on from the i210s lately. The performance of the i210s have been excellent for me, so I keep asking myself what is driving my desire to change and I have narrowed it down to:

1.) I wish the sole was less thick. I’m okay with the amount of bounce but the sole thickness can seem a bit cumbersome.

2.) I love the angles/shape of the 4-6 irons. They started rounding the clubhead (specifically the toe) on the 8 (possibly 7) iron and it feels like two different sets. I see the angles stay in the new blueprint irons all the way through and I love that shape and look but not sure I have the game for them.

3.) I’m not a fan of the esthetics of the back side of the club. I have owned the 200s and 210s (currently) but the look and design of the cavity section leaves a lot to be desired. I know it’s about performance, but I do think about this and it does mean something to me.

I owned the iblades for a short time a while ago and felt the softness of the i210s made them superior (for me) and sold them off. I also owned the s55s and 56s and wish I would have never sold the 55s.

@PING - please make an iteration of the iblades that is as soft as the i210s and as good looking as the blueprints!!!!! I will be your first customer ?

> @uglande said:

> The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

It is not accurate to say that very few pros bag the i210 throughout the set. A visit to Ping.com or even the weekly PGA WITB says otherwise.

• Like 1

> @Foreleft said:

> > @uglande said:

> > The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

>

> It is not accurate to say that very few pros bag the i210 throughout the set. A visit to Ping.com or even the weekly PGA WITB says otherwise.

>

Of the 25 PGA players they feature, 5 are in i200/i210. Most of the rest are playing iBlade or S55, and a handful have switched to Blueprint.

> @uglande said:

> > @Foreleft said:

> > > @uglande said:

> > > The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

> >

> > It is not accurate to say that very few pros bag the i210 throughout the set. A visit to Ping.com or even the weekly PGA WITB says otherwise.

> >

>

> Of the 25 PGA players they feature, 5 are in i200/i210. Most of the rest are playing iBlade or S55, and a handful have switched to Blueprint.

On PGA pro staff, alone, then, 20% play I series. Very strong on LPGA and Champion tour for their staff, and well represented on European tour.

> @uglande said:

> > @Foreleft said:

> > > @uglande said:

> > > The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

> >

> > It is not accurate to say that very few pros bag the i210 throughout the set. A visit to Ping.com or even the weekly PGA WITB says otherwise.

> >

>

> Of the 25 PGA players they feature, 5 are in i200/i210. Most of the rest are playing iBlade or S55, and a handful have switched to Blueprint.

So 5/25 between 4 sets of irons? Seems like a decent proportion to me.

> @"High Draws Low Fades" said:

> > @uglande said:

> > > @Foreleft said:

> > > > @uglande said:

> > > > The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

> > >

> > > It is not accurate to say that very few pros bag the i210 throughout the set. A visit to Ping.com or even the weekly PGA WITB says otherwise.

> > >

> >

> > Of the 25 PGA players they feature, 5 are in i200/i210. Most of the rest are playing iBlade or S55, and a handful have switched to Blueprint.

>

> So 5/25 between 4 sets of irons? Seems like a decent proportion to me.

I wasn't trying to knock the i210. I'm just saying there's a market for a player's club between the i210 and the Blueprint. And it's confirmed by the fact that the majority of Ping players on the PGA tour are still in iBlade/S55 rather than either i210 or Blueprint. I suspect more will begin gravitating to Blueprint (they look amazing), but for most of us golfers who are solid ball strikers but mortal, our sweet spot lies between Blueprint and i210. That sweet spot is iBlade/S55, so I'm hoping for something in that zone in 2020.

Well we already know G700 is getting a facelift in 2020 and rumours of a new i510 have also been floating around, so it wouldn't surprise me to see an iBlade on deck for 2020. I210 is also kinda-sorta due next year as well if you follow traditional Ping timelines...but they seem to have thrown those out lately.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

> @uglande said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > Ping has been pretty firm about only releasing new iterations when they can beat the prior generation.... iBlade is still current to them.

>

> I disagree about the last thing you said. Ping iBlade came out three years ago. That's not "current" by any manufacturer's standard, and they are no longer taking custom orders.

I didnt know about the custom order part. There was some strange happing in the s series released werent there? I wanna say the s55s were around for a long time.

I had a set of the iblades when they first came out and the short irons spun too much for me. Bought a Blueprint iblade combo recently and they blend nicely (4 and 5 iblade...6-PW BP) but the difference is very noticeable in forgiveness between the two...at least for me. I love the look of the Blueprint but would definitely be in line to buy an iblade 2.0 if they could the spin down on the short irons and either maintain the current look or gravitate towards the look of the Blueprint.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 9

Ping i425 14.5

Ping i230 3-PW La Golf L 120X

TM MG4 50/56/60

LAB 47” Mezz Max 

> @t8er said:

> I had a set of the iblades when they first came out and the short irons spun too much for me. Bought a Blueprint iblade combo recently and they blend nicely (4 and 5 iblade...6-PW BP) but the difference is very noticeable in forgiveness between the two...at least for me. I love the look of the Blueprint but would definitely be in line to buy an iblade 2.0 if they could the spin down on the short irons and either maintain the current look or gravitate towards the look of the Blueprint.

I agree if iBlades spun less then would still be in my bag. Thought they looked great, felt great, and super forgiving for the size. Im very happy with my MMCs but if the new iBlades are the same but lower spin I may get them

> @t8er said:

> I had a set of the iblades when they first came out and the short irons spun too much for me. Bought a Blueprint iblade combo recently and they blend nicely (4 and 5 iblade...6-PW BP) but the difference is very noticeable in forgiveness between the two...at least for me. I love the look of the Blueprint but would definitely be in line to buy an iblade 2.0 if they could the spin down on the short irons and either maintain the current look or gravitate towards the look of the Blueprint.

I had the same experience with my iBlades. Too much spin. Everything else about them was great. Felt nice. Looked great. Very forgiving. These are probably still the most popular irons among Ping's PGA players (with some now moving to Blueprint). I wonder how those tour players have been able to manage the spin issue.

> @uglande said:

> The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

The I210 has a huge presence on the LPGA and Champions tour and most of us here couldn't compete with either.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @lawsonman said:

> > @uglande said:

> > The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

>

> The I210 has a huge presence on the LPGA and Champions tour and most of us here couldn't compete with either.

Sure. But it's really just a question of preference. The i210 is chunkier and more offset than a lot of people (myself included) would like. Yet Blueprint is an extremely blade-y blade. There's a sweet spot in-between that I'm hoping Ping will fill (e.g., iBlade 2.0).

> @uglande said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @uglande said:

> >

> > The I210 has a huge presence on the LPGA and Champions tour and most of us here couldn't compete with either.

>

> Sure. But it's really just a question of preference. The i210 is chunkier and more offset than a lot of people (myself included) would like. Yet Blueprint is an extremely blade-y blade. There's a sweet spot in-between that I'm hoping Ping will fill (e.g., iBlade 2.0).

I get it. But, I still have to chuckle when someone says a iron like the I210 is too chunky and has too much offset when people who play for a living obviously have no problems with it. On the other hand, us amateurs can play what ever we like because at the end of the day our scores mean nothing to anyone but us.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

> @lawsonman said:

> > @uglande said:

> > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > @uglande said:

> > > > The gap between i210 and Blueprint is huge. Cameron Champ said he couldn't even play the 4 iron in the Blueprint. At the same time, very few pros are bagging i210 (except as a long iron club). It would be like Titleist only offering the MB and T200. There is no Ping equivalent for the CB or T100 in their lineup right now. I would be surprised if we didn't see something to fill that gap next year. Or at least I'm hoping.

> > >

> > > The I210 has a huge presence on the LPGA and Champions tour and most of us here couldn't compete with either.

> >

> > Sure. But it's really just a question of preference. The i210 is chunkier and more offset than a lot of people (myself included) would like. Yet Blueprint is an extremely blade-y blade. There's a sweet spot in-between that I'm hoping Ping will fill (e.g., iBlade 2.0).

>

> I get it. But, I still have to chuckle when someone says a iron like the I210 is too chunky and has too much offset when people who play for a living obviously have no problems with it. On the other hand, us amateurs can play what ever we like because at the end of the day our scores mean nothing to anyone but us.

I agree there is often a little vanity involved in people's selection of irons, and I won't claim that I never succumb to that temptation, but for me it's mostly about my miss (left) and my launch (high), so offset is particularly bothersome to me, and it's also about what looks good behind the ball and what gives you the right feel. I actually played the i210 as an experiment after I had to give up on iBlade. It felt heavy and the face felt spongy. I'm sure Stewart Cink loves his. But it didn't work for me.

• Like 1

> @Redjeep83 said:

> You guys are funny, spin too much. Well I’ll tell you right now blades (not iblade) spin a lot more than other irons especially distance irons.

What a revelation.

> @uglande said:

> > @Redjeep83 said:

> > You guys are funny, spin too much. Well I’ll tell you right now blades (not iblade) spin a lot more than other irons especially distance irons.

>

> What a revelation.

>

well you mentioned you wonder how the PGA tour players deal with the spin on iblade but yet they play blades which spin more than game improvement irons. Too much spin is an AM issue many times, flipping with irons presenting alot of spin loft.

• Like 2

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @uglande said:

> > > @Redjeep83 said:

> > > You guys are funny, spin too much. Well I’ll tell you right now blades (not iblade) spin a lot more than other irons especially distance irons.

> >

> > What a revelation.

> >

>

> well you mentioned you wonder how the PGA tour players deal with the spin on iblade but yet they play blades which spin more than game improvement irons. Too much spin is an AM issue many times, flipping with irons presenting alot of spin loft.

The iBlade spins more than almost every blade I’ve ever tried/played. It’s a known thing. It’s a very high spin head.

• Like 1

> @Redjeep83 said:

> You guys are funny, spin too much. Well I’ll tell you right now blades (not iblade) spin a lot more than other irons especially distance irons.

Translation: my 7 iron doesn't fly as far in a launch monitor as that club over there.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly