2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

12 clubs?

ago33

Most people wouldn't score much worse if all they carried was a 6-iron, a wedge and a putter. Try it.

I might agree with you if you added a 460cc driver. That's too much of an advantage to overcome. Most people can't hit 6 irons either and they ain't 460cc.

Golf is a funny game. Most people can't hit a 460cc driver, but a 6 iron is not so bad. That 460cc driver becomes a disadvantage quickly when the golf ball doesn't land on the golf course. Lol.

You're not comparing apples to apples.

The 6 iron only appears more accurate because its shorter. If you miss a club going 250 yards (driver) by 3* open and a club that goes 170 yards (6 iron) by 3* open the 250 will be in the wood and the 170 (6 iron) will be in the fairway. But the golfer didn't "hit one better" - he missed both equally on the same line. All these people are just fooling themselves. They arn't playing "better" or "smarter" they're just shorter (which is, by definition, more accurate and will also score way worse over time).

Hitting a 460cc driver 170 yards is much much easier for anyone than hitting a 6 iron 170 yards. That is comparing apples to apples. You think about the game the way everyone does - that certain clubs go certain yardages, so one is less accurate. Just hit a driver a 6 iron distance and it would be 10x eaiser than an actual 6 iron. This is the point. This is the point of thinking about it from a numerical perspective - realizing that "more accurate" isn't the same thing as "shorter on the same line".

A driver is much much MUCH easier to hit a 6 iron distance than a 6 iron is. Of course its harder to hit a driver farther, but because you have less margin for error (a degree off shows up more) NOT because its a driver. If you just learn to not think of "driver is boom boom club" you don't need to do ridiculous things like take clubs out of your bag so you won't hit them. This is a similar concept to chipping with an 8 iron. You don't hit your 8 on a full swing as accurately as a sand wedge on its full swing, so how could you possibly chip with an 8 and be accurate? Just like chipping with a low lofted club is easier for a ton of players, bunting a driver is way easier than hitting all out with a 5.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I'll have to check out the book. Still thinking about that second shot on a par 5 when you are too far to reach...do you lay up to 100 (or 90, or 80) with an iron or blast a wood to 50 or so yards. 50 yards is an akward yardage to control distance and spin for most weekend golfers who don't practice 1/2 and 3/4 type swings. If I have a club that goes 100 or 90 or 80 with a repeatable swing I might be better off. Plus by hitting a longer club on my second shot there is a greater chance of error. Especially with water or OB left and trees right.

I'm a 1 capper and less then full wedges are my bread and butter. If I have to lay up on a par 5 I look at where the hole is, what spin I need to get close and play the hole backwards

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Most people wouldn't score much worse if all they carried was a 6-iron, a wedge and a putter. Try it.

I might agree with you if you added a 460cc driver. That's too much of an advantage to overcome. Most people can't hit 6 irons either and they ain't 460cc.

Golf is a funny game. Most people can't hit a 460cc driver, but a 6 iron is not so bad. That 460cc driver becomes a disadvantage quickly when the golf ball doesn't land on the golf course. Lol.

The 6 iron only appears more accurate because its shorter. If you miss a club going 250 yards (driver) by 3* open and a club that goes 170 yards (6 iron) by 3* open the 250 will be in the wood and the 170 (6 iron) will be in the fairway. But the golfer didn't "hit one better" - he missed both equally on the same line. All these people are just fooling themselves. They arn't playing "better" or "smarter" they're just shorter (which is, by definition, more accurate and will also score way worse over time).

Hitting a 460cc driver 170 yards is much much easier for anyone than hitting a 6 iron 170 yards. That is comparing apples to apples. You think about the game the way everyone does - that certain clubs go certain yardages, so one is less accurate. Just hit a driver a 6 iron distance and it would be 10x eaiser than an actual 6 iron. This is the point. This is the point of thinking about it from a numerical perspective - realizing that "more accurate" isn't the same thing as "shorter on the same line".

A driver is much much MUCH easier to hit a 6 iron distance than a 6 iron is. Of course its harder to hit a driver farther, but because you have less margin for error (a degree off shows up more) NOT because its a driver. If you just learn to not think of "driver is boom boom club" you don't need to do ridiculous things like take clubs out of your bag so you won't hit them. This is a similar concept to chipping with an 8 iron. You don't hit your 8 on a full swing as accurately as a sand wedge on its full swing, so how could you possibly chip with an 8 and be accurate? Just like chipping with a low lofted club is easier for a ton of players, bunting a driver is way easier than hitting all out with a 5.

I appreciate all you're saying. And you kind of make the argument for fewer clubs. Folks using less clubs don't hit full swing as often, and it shows up on the scorecard for many as fewer strokes. Equal percent miss that stays on the course is truly not equal when scores matter...

I appreciate all you're saying. And you kind of make the argument for fewer clubs. Folks using less clubs don't hit full swing as often, and it shows up on the scorecard for many as fewer strokes. Equal percent miss that stays on the course is truly not equal when scores matter...

True, and fair. I just think a better way to do it isn't "play fewer clubs" but "stop hitting every single shot as hard as you can with the minimum club required to hit your target" which is how many many people play. My favorite tee shot is a hooded 5 wood draw. It doesn't get higher than my head and it is incredibly reliable. I think its a better way to play to play around with what you can do with a ton of clubs (hood an 8 iron, play it off your back foot, and hit a 120 yard line drive that hits the green like velcro). Its the same as playing fewer clubs, just more realistic.

But we both agree that a great way to improve is to start playing Golf and quit playing Golf Swing.

EDIT: I know people hate it when I talk about scientific studies in golf, but a recent 2015 study that was pretty comprehensive found one single thing that is inversely proportional to golf skill; that is, one single trait that got better the better the golfer got and worse the worse the golfer got. That trait was thinking mechanical thoughts while on a golf course. It is the only single non-score related trait that has been conlusively linked to shooting a low score - that the chances of scoring low go higher in proportion to how little the golfer thinks about mechanics during the round. Most people don't need to play fewer clubs, they just need to reverse the order - visualize shot, then pick club not pick club then visualize shot. "150? that's an 8. OK, what do I want to do with it?" That is how a weak player thinks. Should be "150? Ok, want a cut, back is good short is bad, wind is slightly behind. That's a X".

IMO of course.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I've been on both sides of the "full set/less than full set" equation. I grew up (& into) the game always playing with a full set.

The last two years I've carried the following: Driver, 4H, 6, 8, PW, SW, Putter (7 total).

I did this to motivate myself to walk when playing. It worked. I walk all the time now, score about the same and, for some reason, enjoy the game more. I guess with age (I'm 60) comes wisdom (some), a slower swing (much), and a greater appreciation for a game that I love.

I'd say that's a lot for playing with fewer clubs :D

I took a trip to Golftown today to test out a club that I hoped would actually open the door to a reduction in my bag as well - it proved to be time well spent. I'm going to unload the M2 3 and 5 woods I currently have and replace them with a single fairway wood - M2 3hl. I'm also leaning towards dropping the 54 and 58 wedges, and going 46/50/56 - I want to wait and see what kind of gap will exist between my SLDR 50* and a 56* first.

In the Wilson Exo II:
Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1
3 wood - 2016 Taylormade M1
7 wood - Callaway XR Steelhead Heavenwood
Irons Staff - Wilson C300 Forged 4-GW
Wedges - Cleveland RTX 4 54* / 58*
Putter - Wilson Staff Infinite Windy City

I took a trip to Golftown today to test out a club that I hoped would actually open the door to a reduction in my bag as well - it proved to be time well spent. I'm going to unload the M2 3 and 5 woods I currently have and replace them with a single fairway wood - M2 3hl. I'm also leaning towards dropping the 54 and 58 wedges, and going 46/50/56 - I want to wait and see what kind of gap will exist between my SLDR 50* and a 56* first.
i did the same i found it was too much of a gap. Now playing 46-51-56. Not much of a tweak but jist enough

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

• 2 years later...

> @ago33 said:

> I've been tinkering with my setup and have been thinking I don't like a lot of clubs at the top of my bag or at the bottom so I'm thinking

>

> Driver

>

> 4 wood

>

> 21 hybrid

>

> 5-9

>

> 46-52-58

>

> Putter

>

>

>

> Anyone try this? If so, what did you think of it and how did it work

That's plenty. If you are practicing every day, I suppose you could use more.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I generally play with 7 or 8 clubs: 12 Deg driver, 21 deg 7 wood, 26 deg 5 Hy, 7-9-PW-SW, putter. Depending on the length of the Par 3's, I adjust the clubs to try and have best choice available. Prefer walking and at age 67 the fewer clubs makes carrying easier. Currently play to a 12 HCP. This works for some golfers and not for others. My advice, try it have fun and go with what works best for your game.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

Just got onto this thread, are people seriously still going on about strokes gained and how amazing Mark Broadie is?

I still can't believe that people think its better to be 50 yards out in the rough than 80 in the fairway. My answer to wanting to be as close to the hole as possible is look at Sergio's double digit score at Augusta's 15th - he was too close to the hole to knock enough spin off and just kept screwing back into the water.

That is complete crap if you think that a 15 capper and a PGA pro are equal putting from 4 feet and the same from over 15 - the pro's are so good at putting that you don't see the difference between them on TV unless one is absurdly good. 1 putt % is the key stat to look at here - ams can't buy a 1 putt whereas pros are looking to hole everything (and more often than not come quite close to) inside 25 foot.